Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2006, 14:52   #1

Laura or CRV

Hi Gentlemen,

Confused as ever, as the title also suggests (Sedan vs SUV). Let me clarify that I am considering the CRV because it behaves more like a car and less like an suv in ride quality and driveability. Both vehicles being considered are manual transmission (Laura automatic delivery period is more than 10 weeks as quoted by the dealeer). I am 38 yrs old (young at heart) and I drive about 60-70 kms a day mostly delhi and gurgaon, highway driving is 10%. Decision is to be made in 7-10 days. I am listing the pros and cons as I see them.

Laura 17 Lakhs OTR Delhi.
Pros
1) Build Quality
2) Diesel economy.
3) Model will probably not change for 3-4 yrs.
4) Probably good resale because of 3) above.
5) Huge no. of extra features (though I dont really know how many I will actually use).
6) Good long lasting Looks (but not to different from octavia).

Cons
1) Similar looks to Octavia (Spending 17 Lakhs and looking like 15)
2) Apprehensive about huge repairs and maintanence.
3) Rear seat still not to comfortable.
4) Drab interiors (in black leather as I prefer the silver or the white colour).

CRV 16 lakhs OTR Delhi
Pros
1) Honda reliability
2) Much better interiors, luxurious.
3) No confusion about the money spent and what it looks like.
4) Reapairs and maint. probably much cheaper than the laura.

Cons
1) Petrol guzzler (7kms to a litre?).
2) Been around for 2 years so nothing really new about it.
3) Too many of them on the road.
4) Not as feature rich as the laura.
5) Not as good build quality as the laura (I think?)

As you can see from the above that FE is an issue to some extent though not a deciding feature. I hope all you guys who have driven or are currently driving any of the above 2 vehicles can help me out. Any other suggestions are most welcome. I dont like the accord looks (personal preference) hence that is out.
Old 4th March 2006, 15:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice analysis and there isnt much that anyone else can add to it - you've been pretty comprehensive.

You could consider the Tucson if you want space (like CRV) and diesel economy. As regards build quality, I have my views on the same - build quality is not what you perceive but what you actually experience over a few years of usage. To me, European cars have always given the feeling of having build quality but have never been known to last the distance. Jap and other cars, however, may look fragile but tend to last the distance.

PS: Did you get a bit more confused now? I hope so - thats the general idea, you see.

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th March 2006 at 15:17.
Old 4th March 2006, 16:17   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I dislike the CRV as much as I do the Lauras inflated price tag. That said, would prefer the Laura anyday over the CRV.

The only real thing bad about the Laura is the price tag. WRT to the CRV, I can start an entirely new forum. Also, the all new CRV is expected for an international launch in 2007. The current gen has been around since 2001.

GTO
Old 4th March 2006, 16:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, both cars have their cons. The laura is like a Octavia lookalike, so very difficult to justify spending so much on Laura. With CRV its getting to be a little dated, on top it drinks too much petrol like u stated, so again not a justifiable decision. Hyundai Tucson is a great car, but than why spend 15 lakh on a mini SUV when you can get the same engined sedan Elantra for 10 lakh. Also spending 15 lakh on a Hyundai, is not what I would do. So, I guess it all boils down to, what you want to do. If fuel economy is not the most important factor than you can consider the Accord, or if FE is important and you want to go with a conservative decision than you can go with Skoda Octavia. I guess there is not as much choice in the segment and range you are looking at, so no matter what car you choose, you would either end up paying a premium, or end up with a car/suv which is slightly dated.
Old 4th March 2006, 17:14   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
why spend 15 lakh on a mini SUV when you can get the same engined sedan Elantra for 10 lakh. Also spending 15 lakh on a Hyundai, is not what I would do
Dont agree with that logic. The C200K and the E200K have the same engine. But the E is surely worth the premium. And is an entirely different segment.

GTO
Old 4th March 2006, 17:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice analysis done there mohananuj

If you can, then instead of paying 17lakh for Laura why don't you increase your budget more & go for Skoda Superb? No idea how much it will cost.

Out of the two given, very difficult but I would choose CRV mainly because of its car like handling combined with advantages of SUV (though CRV is not proper SUV but more of soft runner)
Old 4th March 2006, 17:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Dont agree with that logic. The C200K and the E200K have the same engine. But the E is surely worth the premium. And is an entirely different segment.

GTO
Well here is why I personally feel why Tucson isnt a good buy:

1) No third row of seating
2) Very little road presence, looks like an elder brother to Swift imo
3) Hyundai has not been able to establish itself in this segment
4) Engine is great, but if I am buying the car only on that merit, than I rather save 5 lakhs and buy the Elantra
5) Even after diesel economy and being a newer model, it cant compete with CRV which is in the same price band

So all in all, its not that its a bad mini SUV, its not, but its not worth spending 15 lakhs in my opinion.
Old 4th March 2006, 19:14   #8

As far as the price tag of the laura goes, when I compare it to the L & K Octavia it doesn't seem so much as I'm getting a new model with PD and extra features for 2 Lakhs (15%).
I woudn't want to go for a korean vehicle in my budget ( again personal preference)
The superb I feel is more of a chaueffer driven car than a self drive and I prefer a self drive. (anyway budget constraints also).
Old 4th March 2006, 22:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

If its gotta be between the Laura and the CRV, it has to be the Laura. Check out Turboindia's car and u'll fall in love with the Laura more than ever.

Why don't u also have a look at the Honda Accord which also shares the same price tag as the Laura and has got the luxury, performance and reliability to back all that up. Its a Honda after all!!
Old 4th March 2006, 22:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Why don't u also have a look at the Honda Accord which also shares the same price tag as the Laura and has got the luxury, performance and reliability to back all that up. Its a Honda after all!!
he has already said it in his first post
Quote:
I dont like the accord looks (personal preference) hence that is out.
Old 4th March 2006, 22:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Oops...sorry abt that..
Old 4th March 2006, 23:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Coz you want a new model, a better built model, a driver's model , you should go for the Laura. And I presume that Laura is much safer as it comes with more bells and whistles regarding safety equipment list.. it has air bags and lot?

Last edited by jkdas : 4th March 2006 at 23:21.
Old 4th March 2006, 23:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

6 Airbags, ABS, EBD, TC for the Skoda Laura as standrad. And the super build quality.
Old 5th March 2006, 01:34   #14

waiting for comments from insane devil and mr. boombastic. the 2 laura lovers, well one current and one ex.

Last edited by mohananuj : 5th March 2006 at 01:41.
Old 5th March 2006, 01:36   #15

edited...repeat post

Last edited by navin : 22nd March 2006 at 12:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks