Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 13:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Jaguar xf or BMW 520d or Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
A company source has confirmed to me price of 48 lacs for the face lifted XJ. Will be starting booking shortly and deliveries commence in December. Other than the looks I was'nt too impressed with the interiors. I think the 520D at a price of 37 lacs on road with current discounts makes a very compelling case. You cant get better value than that. Looks very imposing from outside, almost like a 7 series and the interiors are a class apart.
I think you meant the XF right?

Last edited by Y@SH : 25th October 2011 at 13:36.
Old 25th October 2011, 13:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Sorry to go off topic but I have heard that dealers have started taking bookings of the Evoque. Can you please ask your friend and tell me the waiting period of the Evoque? The reason I am asking is because they have already sold out their production capacity of a year
The Evoque bookings started end last month. I am guessing 2 to 4 months depending on configuration since these are CBU's.

Quote:
A company source has confirmed to me price of 48 lacs for the face lifted XJ. Will be starting booking shortly and deliveries commence in December.
I am sure you meant XF and not XJ... The booking was open from a while now and their new cars come in soon.

The Bombay stocks of the old XF have been cleared.

Last edited by speedy : 25th October 2011 at 13:54.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 13:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I am sure you meant XF and not XJ... The booking was open from a while now and their new cars come in soon.
Oops! My bad.. I meant XF. Really? has the booking been open for a while. Because my source in Jag just msgd me about the launch and prices just last week. In fact the dealer in Mumbai told me the launch is sometime next year.
Old 25th October 2011, 13:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oops! My bad.. I meant XF. Really? has the booking been open for a while. Because my source in Jag just msgd me about the launch and prices just last week. In fact the dealer in Mumbai told me the launch is sometime next year.
My car was booked at the begining of this month. I am only waiting as Jaguar has introduced new colors and this i'd like to see in the flesh. If i fix on a color i would get delivery by November or December itself.
Old 25th October 2011, 14:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I just got off the phone with a friend working in Jaguar. They have not been informed of such a scheeme being enforced in the near future as yet. He also did mention if such a scheeme is made available then the existing owners can avail of it too. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the clarification. Sales guy was confident that it is going to be launched, perhaps he is taking us for a ride.

Quote:
A company source has confirmed to me price of 48 lacs for the face lifted XJ. Will be starting booking shortly and deliveries commence in December. Other than the looks I was'nt too impressed with the interiors. I think the 520D at a price of 37 lacs on road with current discounts makes a very compelling case. You cant get better value than that. Looks very imposing from outside, almost like a 7 series and the interiors are a class apart.
BMW loses purely on the exclusivity part, there are too many on road these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I am assuming the points you ve mentioned are in order of preference and keeping that in mind the new xf fits the bill to the T. The next comes the a6 . But for maintenance/ service it is the blue propeller. Although I would like to think that all the manufacturers take good care of you at this price point.
Order of preference - Yes.

Maintenance package of BMW is very comforting and give you peace of mind. I too believe they will take good care, but in absence of a package, there might always be an apprehension to use the car freely as in the back of your mind you are worried about the nudge and scratches that are bound to happen in ever increasing traffic conditions....
Old 25th October 2011, 15:43   #21
BHPian

Last I heard, the price of the facelift will be slightly higher, around 2 lakhs or so. At a 8 Lakh discount, just go for the current shape.

If they do come out with an Insurance scheme which they eventually will, i'm pretty sure you can upgrade when you renew your insurance.
Old 25th October 2011, 18:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post

Akj,. Frankly speaking, after looking at the Jag, I was not even interested in accompanying him to BMW showroom. To me, Jag looks a class apart.

Sales guy never mentioned about 2.2D, thanks for the info. Any confirmed news on the launch date? Yes, 3D spec looks mouthwatering with 284BHP and loads of torque...

Do you have the Jag in India? If yes, how's the service experience?

JAG XF is a class apart than the Germans. However 5 series looks slightly more stately type so will suit better for chauffeur driven owners. For driving pleasure and looks, nothing beats XF. We bought XF 3.0D Sports - 275 BHP in UK last year. It completed 1 year and 10000 miles last month without a hitch.

Quote:
The Bombay dealership offers almost a 8 to 10 lakh discount on the out going shape of the Jaguar XF. The sad part is they only have white cars in stock.
At so much discount level XF 3.0 D Sports should be a steal, go for this existing model only. Black hides the body curves so I will also prefer white when we buy next car.

Quote:
XF 2.2 should be available below 40 lacs only otherwise it will not sell. With the 8-10 lac discount XF 3.0 D S with 275 Bhp should cost about 40 lacs only. At that price, 520 D does not make any sense and that will have very less gadgets compared to XF. But BMW has an advantage in the service package.

Evoque and XF are being released next month. You can find the news on Economic Times website.

Last edited by akj53 : 25th October 2011 at 18:45.
Old 25th October 2011, 19:56   #23
BHPian

From what the dealer tells me, the new XF will be out by December. The current one will fetch you a good discount of about 10L. However, and this could be just me, I find the rear seat legroom in the Jag appalling (reason given - because of the coupe like shape). I would throw in the E220 in the mix as well.

It looks great and the interiors feel and look the part. The Evoque from what I understand will be slightly more expensive than the XF.
Old 25th October 2011, 23:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Can you go wrong with any of the cars. All of them are equally classy.
Old 26th October 2011, 18:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Sales guy was confident that it is going to be launched, perhaps he is taking us for a ride.
There were talks but nothing concrete from the top bosses as yet. I would like to believe eventually they would come up with a service package.

Quote:
Maintenance package of BMW is very comforting and give you peace of mind. I too believe they will take good care, but in absence of a package, there might always be an apprehension to use the car freely as in the back of your mind you are worried about the nudge and scratches that are bound to happen in ever increasing traffic conditions....
Trust me sir, i do have the BSI-R and Secure package for my 3 series and i am not at all happy..Its like for anything they say we will have to claim insurance. It makes me wonder why i even took the package and paid more in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
Last I heard, the price of the facelift will be slightly higher, around 2 lakhs or so. At a 8 Lakh discount, just go for the current shape.
I was told the price is going to remain the same for the facelifted XF.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 19:29   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Trust me sir, i do have the BSI-R and Secure package for my 3 series and i am not at all happy..Its like for anything they say we will have to claim insurance. It makes me wonder why i even took the package and paid more in the process.
That is interesting. Could you please give more details? I thought BSI covers consumables and warranty - why is there insurance involved for BSI covered jobs?
Old 26th October 2011, 20:25   #27
BHPian

After driving a Jaguar XF from Noida to Badrinath and back I was much impressed with the ride comfort, dynamics and features. It may look low slung but surprisingly the roads (or the lack of them) between Devprayag and Srinagar and then about 10km from Badrinath posed no problem.

I tested the car for dynamics when I was driving back along with the driver from Ananda (near Rishikesh) to Hardwar and for my limited driving ability the car seemed adequate. With Sports mode engaged and paddle shifts used throughout I was able to do reasonably decent speeds - enough to make the driver squeeze his thighs together and clutch the seat.

Audi A6 in sports mode has significantly better acceleration. But somehow the Jaguar feels more ...well...upmarket, comfortable and luxurious. BMW's ride quality pales in comparison and 520d also feels a bit underpowered in comparison. Caveat - I do not have as extensive driving experience with BMW and Audi as I do with Jaguar.

Cheers!
Old 26th October 2011, 20:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
There were talks but nothing concrete from the top bosses as yet. I would like to believe eventually they would come up with a service package.

I was told the price is going to remain the same for the facelifted XF.
I think maintenance package will soon become a must have feature in all high end cars...

Since we love the looks of the current model, with 8L discount, I think we should go for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
That is interesting. Could you please give more details? I thought BSI covers consumables and warranty - why is there insurance involved for BSI covered jobs?
I was about to ask...
Old 26th October 2011, 20:57   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Exclusivity
Comprehensive service/insurance/maintenance package
Good service.
Please read my post in a lighter vein

Don't mean to trivialize but any car that is peaceful to own will not remain exclusive ;-) Exclusivity and peace of ownership are inversely correlated (for cars especially).

I would not worry a lot of about exclusivity - even 3 series corp edition is also an exclusive car in India and if you live in a neighborhood where it is not exclusive then I don't think any 50 Lakh car will be exclusive. If you mean "not a common sight", then you are essentially buying a car that is not selling well.

I do see the need for buying something special and rare - my theory is that it can only come at the expense of something else (most likely #2, #3 points in your original post).
Old 27th October 2011, 01:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Please read my post in a lighter vein

Don't mean to trivialize but any car that is peaceful to own will not remain exclusive ;-) Exclusivity and peace of ownership are inversely correlated (for cars especially).

I would not worry a lot of about exclusivity - even 3 series corp edition is also an exclusive car in India and if you live in a neighborhood where it is not exclusive then I don't think any 50 Lakh car will be exclusive. If you mean "not a common sight", then you are essentially buying a car that is not selling well.

I do see the need for buying something special and rare - my theory is that it can only come at the expense of something else (most likely #2, #3 points in your original post).

Agree with you to an extent, but you also need to factor in the irrational side of us when it comes to making choices.

To take a very common example, there's a popular notion that cars from TATA stable are "PERCEIVED" to be of lower quality than what they actually are, so however good they actually are, some of us are going to refrain from buying it.

Similarly, when it comes to luxury cars, there's a lot of importance attached to the brand. I am sure that you would agree to the fact that Mercedes & BMW will sell in more numbers than say a Nissan in 25+ lakh segment, even if Nissan has a equal/better product than the other two.

To extend your statement, a car that is not "selling well" is not necessarily a "bad product". Since my friend is planning to use the car for 5 to 7 years, we are more concerned about quality of product/package(maintenance) than the brand.

May be order of preference should rephrased as

willing to buy a lesser known brand (Exclusivity is implicitly taken care :-) )

But very particular about the quality of ownership (both product & service)...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks