Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 12:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Audi confusion again : RS5 vs R8 v8

I would choose a new car over a used one - pure and simple. But then that's my principle. Naturally the R8 is going to turn a lot more heads but the car is second hand and you simply don't know what it's been subjected to.
Zkalra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 10:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
I would choose a new car over a used one - pure and simple. But then that's my principle. Naturally the R8 is going to turn a lot more heads but the car is second hand and you simply don't know what it's been subjected to.
I agree with Zkalra here, a new car is better than a used one any day no matter how many kms the used one has done. Plus if you don't care for snob value I think spiff you should go for the RS5. Better ground clearance, better boot space, better accessibility in terms of getting in and out of the car and SAME power as the R8 V8. Moreover you're in Mumbai where streets are not quite "empty" and parking space is also tight, so it'll keep you more nervous everytime you leave your R8 on the street as compared to the RS5. So my vote goes to the NEW RS5.
Somu2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 12:27   #18
BHPian

I disagree. I'd go with the slightly used R8, simple economics - likely that you are benefitting from the depreciation on the R8 given its got a little bit of mileage on the clock (be sure of course that the car has not been abused and has been broken in gently!). If you were to get the RS5 instead, it'd depreciate much quicker given as soon as the new facelift's out, you'll be able to trade it for much less than what you'd trade the R8 for then..
rekhiv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 14:28   #19
BHPian

The choice has to be a practical once since you'll be using it for daily drives. The RS5 fits the bill.

a. Snob value is not of concern to you
b. Practical for daily use
c. Similar level of performance (its not going to be used on a track everyday)
d. You're buying a new car
e. Every time you rev that V8, its will plant a big smile on your face
Old 9th February 2012, 08:59   #20
BHPian

Trust me buying the RS5 is going to be a good decision. I drive it every day and though it turns a lot of heads, in fact way too many for my liking, the smile it puts on your face the moment you step on it is just amazing. it negotiates the craters on roads better as well. Plus you can give it to the valet without having an aneurysm.

Last edited by Zkalra : 9th February 2012 at 09:01. Reason: Typo
Zkalra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 12:43   #21
BHPian

Ok so here is my $0.02 - get the RS. My friend's R8 sees the light of day once a month!! Reason - no boot and only 2 seater. Case in point he can't even take it to the golf course. Yesterday I went to the Delhi Golf club with 2 other mates in the RS and 3 golf bags. Guess what - no probs at all. Worked beautifully. The guy in the back didn't have too tight a space either. And....here's the kicker - its quicker than the v8 R8. Sure it won't turn as many heads but it's a much more usable car IMO and at the end of the day if you can't drive it what's the point of having it parked in your home like a garage queen.

Last edited by Zkalra : 12th February 2012 at 12:44. Reason: Typo
Old 27th April 2012, 04:57   #22
BHPian

Guys what about the 2011 Aston Martin Vantage V8?
Old 30th April 2012, 22:35   #23
BHPian

If you already have a Jaguar XF and a 5 series which can be used on a daily basis and is practical for Mumbai roads, I'd say go with the R8, since that is a different league car and a good change to the 4 seater's you have already been driving.
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:08   #24
BHPian

Aston Martins have certain reliability issues. Lets face it German vs British is not even a contest.
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

IMHO there is very less to distinguish both the cars w.r.t engine but a lot if driven as daily drive. My boss used to have R8 in Germany and it was a daily drive for him and he was always in good mood when he entered office. Grin pasted ear to ear.

R8 wins in terms of pre-worshipped value. 2000km sheesh! must be some guy's dream to hand it over like that. You gain a big pack to not buy it first hand.

RS5 is in class of its own but already has a newer variant in wings. I think you should bargain here with Audi. They were offering fab discounts before March end.

R8 is exotic with a daily drive supercar tag, RS5 is a stealth weapon as a daily drive.
But remember that daily drive in India is different than daily a drive abroad. Peak power and torque figures reveal them to have a different story. I think you should drive both and decide depending on various other factors that our experts have mentioned earlier.

All the best and do update us with the good news.
Old 23rd May 2012, 23:47   #26
Team-BHP Support

Ah, what a dilemma to be in!

Getting a good deal on the R8, but also considering one of the best daily-drives today, the RS5.

You say you want a daily-driver. While the R8 is a reliable and easy-to-drive supercar, it's still Mumbai we're talking about. Apart from some places like Delhi and Chandigarh, it's not easy driving a supercar to the supermarket or to office on a daily basis.

But what's hard to ignore is the phenomenal price-tag the used R8 comes with.

The RS5 will be the more practical option. You not only have space for stuff in the boot, you can scare the living daylights out of 2 other passengers as well, apart from the one in the passenger seat.

What doesn't work in the favour of the RS5 is the fact that you would get to lay your hands on it only in a couple of months, if not more. The R8 will find its way into your garage almost immediately!

Let me put it this way. If you aren't too bothered about attention and wouldn't feel like you need it, the RS5 is the car to buy. Not that you wouldn't get attention at all. Just that you would get so much more in a R8.

Also, if you just can't wait, then the R8 is the car to buy.

I'd say, in every other way, the RS5 is the car to buy.

OR, just get a 911

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd May 2012 at 23:50.
Old 24th May 2012, 02:41   #27
BHPian

Buy the RS5, it's NEW and that IMO is enough of a reason. Just my two cents, wish you luck in your purchase.
Old 24th May 2012, 14:59   #28
BHPian

I'd suggest you the R8 V8. 2000 on the ODO is nothing IMO and you'd be getting the car instantly. The RS5 looks a bit too plain and the interiors looks straight out of an A4. And its also due for a facelift. The R8'd be a total head turner and if you love your car, it shouldn't be a big problem to drive it everyday. My 2 cents, get the R8, fit in a miltech exhaust, get it tuned by Racetech and you're ready for take off!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks