Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 12:01   #1
BHPian

Audi confusion again : RS5 vs R8 v8

Getting a new car now, super confused between a 2010 used R8 or new RS5.

Car will be used as Daily Driver in Mumbai suburbs area. I have driven both and felt RS5 a lot more fun to drive but R8 seems to have a class of its own. The R8 I am looking at is slightly used ( under 2000 km on the odo ) while the RS5 will be a brand new one!

Already have a BMW 5 so didn't consider the M3 and I hate the mercs so c63 is out of question too.

Would be great if you guys can help me decide like the last time
Old 5th November 2011, 12:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Confusions again..RS5 vs R8 v8

Hey Spiff. The RS5 was just facelifted internationally, so hopefully that is the one you are considering? The RS5 also has a slightly more powerful version of the 4.2 V8 and the 0-100 speeds are about the same. Since it is your daily driver if you can manage with the low clearance etc of the R8 then go for that. The RS5 will get you less attention than the R8 and will be a little more practical. Another big thing is that if you order an RS5 now you will have to wait a few months to get it in your spec, unless you are taking what is already in stock which anyway will not be the facelift version. The R8 you can get immediately since its a used buy. Did that even help?
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 12:31   #3
BHPian

the RS5 i was looking at is the one in stock, i was told the facelift won't arrive for another year so unless you can tell me something different about it.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Man, even I would love be confused on such matter but.. anyway If were you I would have gone for the R8, it might not be the practical one out of the two options but I have repeatedly read that It's the most practical Supercar one can have today. It might not have the drama or sense of occasion like other supercars but it still a One, and for me that would be a reason good enough to get one.

BTW whats the color of R8?
Old 5th November 2011, 13:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

The RS5 is around 60+ on road if im not mistaken. A R8 at around the same price is a sweet deal.
Old 5th November 2011, 13:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The RS5 is around 60+ on road if im not mistaken. A R8 at around the same price is a sweet deal.

75 OTR ,IMO.

Spiff, the RS 5 would surely be a lot more practical. You know our roads perfectly well so maneuvering the R8 would be quite a pain with its GC.
The R8 meanwhile, would mean a lot more snob value, and hence a lot more attention. Comes down to what is a priority for you. Having an exotic in your garage or a truly fast and fantastic yet practical sedan.
Good luck

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 5th November 2011 at 13:57.
Old 5th November 2011, 13:57   #7
BHPian

Between the two, it would be the R8. The rs5 can certainly perform. But both the cars have more than sufficient performance on tap, especially without an autobahn anywhere around.

What really matters here is the character of the car. The R8 oozes of that 'special' character. And at the same price of the RS5 with not much on the odo, I say why not?
Old 5th November 2011, 15:42   #8
BHPian

ex-showroom of Rs5 with options is 82 so on road in Mumbai is about 95. R8 is about 98 for the one I am getting.

I really don't care about the snob value to be honest , just want a car which I enjoy.
Old 5th November 2011, 16:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
the RS5 i was looking at is the one in stock, i was told the facelift won't arrive for another year so unless you can tell me something different about it.
Okay so that just changes things. The RS5 is a CBU so I don't see a reason why it should take more than a month or 2 after the international release to get it here. Anyway knowing Audi India and their waiting times 1 year is very possible. In that case get the R8. Its not like you have another supercar, and the R8 will give you that special feeling of a true supercar which the RS5 will not. What colour is the R8 btw?
Old 5th November 2011, 17:55   #10
BHPian

Re: Audi confusion again : RS5 vs R8 v8

You can't enjoy a car (R8) if it scrapes every speed breaker, ramp. Seating in the R8 is also very low, ingress/egress is a pain, ride is bone jarring specially over roads with paver blocks. Their both as powerful, the R8 is a little wilder than the 5 in terms of handling.

The RS5 is more comfortable overall, seats 4 (I'd use them for kids/smaller people and backpacks), has a boot. The cons are is the interior, its similar if not exactly like the A4, it does not feel special. Facelift has launched but personally I don't like it. And your gonna need new wheels, the stock look weak

I'd still go for the R8 but not as a daily driver.

There are also advantages of a new car over a used car.

Last edited by fre2bpowerless : 5th November 2011 at 17:59.
Old 7th November 2011, 10:38   #11
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th November 2011 at 17:50.
Mike89 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th November 2011, 20:33   #12
Team-BHP Support

Any updates on your decision Spiff?
Old 8th December 2011, 18:58   #13
BHPian

i think spiff himself answered the question while he was asking it.

he needs a daily driver - which the r8 can never be in mumbai suburbs. he can't park the car without being scared about it, he can't enjoy the car without getting bone jarring shakes on those interlocking tiles they got everywhere, and he can't simply glide over the speed breakers that are almost everywhere in suburbs.

so if I were you - i would have gone for the RS5.

but how come you haven't considered a JAGUAR??
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:01   #14
BHPian

I test-drove both the RS5 and the R8 on Bombay roads. I would go for the RS5, just from the practicality point-of-view. Loved driving both,but for a daily drive, I wouldnt want to approach speed bumps sideways! Which is what I had to do with the R8.
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

My choice is R8, but as a daily drive (in India) RS5 is the one.

Most Viewed