Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2011, 04:13   #1
BHPian

BMW 750li Vs Range Rover Vogue

Let's rewind the clocks back a year. We already owned an '07 C-Class and an '09 BMW 3er. My father was looking for a new car for himself, mainly to be chauffeured around in. After seriously looking into the Porsche Cayenne, almost booking a Jaguar XJL we decided to book a Mercedes S500. After taking nearly a year for delivery, dealing with delay after delay the car finally arrived.

Present day, my father tells me it is time to phase out the C220 which is currently used by me to get a replacement. I was exstatic! After much thinking I decided to go for the Range Rover Vogue 4.4l TDV8. Basically because I like SUVs and absolutely love the Range Rover. The only con of this choice is that I hear a new 2013 new gen model is set to launch some time in 2012. Further my mother suggests I get myself a BMW 750li. Which got me thinking. I love the 7er too.

Now to help me through this dilemma, I need your help, brothers, to choose between the Rangie and the Bimmer.

Now one of the main things to keep in mind are that this car will be self driven by me. It's going to be my daily driver as well. My use consists mainly of about 20km runs everyday, with a weekly round trip of about 300+ km which are Mumbai-Lonavala/Pune. I know that the 750li is slightly more expensive than the Rangie, but that is not a concern.

So brothers, help me decide?
Old 7th November 2011, 05:24   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW 750li Vs Range Rover Vogue

EDIT: I'm also open to other suggestions, other than these two cars. The budget cap is as much as the 750Li though, which is about 1-1.10cr ex-showroom Mumbai.

Last edited by Saarth : 7th November 2011 at 05:33.
Old 7th November 2011, 07:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion would be to get the RR Vogue.

I am the biggest advocate for the BMW otherwise, especially the 7, but in your case, you already have an S500 in the family and it renders the 750Li pointless. The RR on the other hand will, I think fit your bill perfectly as you prefer to drive and not be chauffeured around, and will be a shade more easy on your wallet too, during the purchase and also in the long run.

Wish you a good buy.

Drive safe

Last edited by Scorcher : 7th November 2011 at 07:52.
Old 7th November 2011, 08:27   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the advice Scorcher. Would you have advised the 7 if the S500 had not been there? The reason I ask is because I rarely ever use it, it does rounds for my father, and when we go out together it is usually me who drives, and at those times we use my car. in other words, let's pretend the S500 doesn't exist. lol.
Old 7th November 2011, 09:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

If we pretend the S500 does not exist in this scenario, and if you need the car urgently, you can go with the 7. But Scorcher has a point that if you already have a S in the house, it doesnt make any sense to go for the 7. And since you are looking into 7, why not consider the A8? Personally I love Audi and I believe that A8 is the best bet amongst the S, 7 and A8.

Since you already mentioned that you love SUVs, why dont you consider the Cayenne for yourself? Or even the Q7? Since you are looking for Range Rovers, you can look for the Evoque which will be launched in India shortly.
Old 7th November 2011, 09:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
Thanks for the advice Scorcher. Would you have advised the 7 if the S500 had not been there? The reason I ask is because I rarely ever use it, it does rounds for my father, and when we go out together it is usually me who drives, and at those times we use my car. in other words, let's pretend the S500 doesn't exist. lol.
If the S500 wasn't there, I would have picked the 750Li.

But since you already have a gas-guzzler luxo-barge, I would suggest getting a diesel SUV to balance it out. By going for the RR Vogue SE or Q7 4.2 Tdi, you aren't losing much grunt either.

If you're inclined towards thirsty petrol V8s, then try the X6/5 X-Drive 50 or the GL500.

But frankly, RR is the "quintessential SUV of the moment"
Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Since you are looking for Range Rovers, you can look for the Evoque which will be launched in India shortly.
Evoque is already launched in India, but a tad overpriced IMO.

Last edited by Scorcher : 7th November 2011 at 09:56.
Old 7th November 2011, 15:03   #7
BHPian

If you were to go for another limo then I think you would be better off in a Jag XJ-L. I know it may not be as fun to drive as a Bimmer but we all know that somehow the Jag feels a lot cooler and more exclusive!

But my first decision would also be the Range Rover considering the other cars you have in your garage.

Verdict, go for TATA

Edit: Your budget would also allow you to go for a nice sport/supercar! Have you thought about it?

Last edited by goingout : 7th November 2011 at 15:07.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:00   #8
BHPian

"Tad overpriced" is an understatement, TATAs need to get their act together. $45K car sold at 45lacs?? If they get the pricing right, it can change the world for JLR! They should learn from the Germans.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Pure Driving pleasure ? BMW 750Li. Problem ? PETROL.
Comfort and luxury ? Range Rover. Problem ? Heavy elephant and tall car, not exactly comfy on twists and turns.Expect substantial body roll. (of course dont know much that would matter with just 1 weekly trip on a wide expressway to Pune).
On the other hand though, its an oil burner so drive it all you want without worrying about how quickly the fuel needle is dropping. In any case it wont drop half as quick as it would in a 750li.
The Range would make more sense over all but purely because you say you would self drive it, the 7 remains a strong contender.
Hence i would sum it up saying, if low grade petrol and ever rising rates is not even looked at as a bother, then go in for the Beemer. More smiles per mile IMO.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:40   #10
BHPian

Since you drive yourself & this is going to be your daily driver, I'd suggest you consider the Range Rover Sport. It handles much better than the bigger Vogue, easy to maneuver around the city, better looking (in my opinion) & will take all your luggage on those out stations trips without fuss.

Unless you need to seat more than 4 people or want the status of Vogue or 7, the Sport fits perfectly.

The S V8 is the one to get.

Last edited by fre2bpowerless : 7th November 2011 at 17:42.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Since you already mentioned that you love SUVs, why dont you consider the Cayenne for yourself? Or even the Q7? Since you are looking for Range Rovers, you can look for the Evoque which will be launched in India shortly.
I looked at the Evoque, but not only is it overpriced but I don't really like the look of it for me, it looks like a soccer mom's car, but that could just be me

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Edit: Your budget would also allow you to go for a nice sport/supercar! Have you thought about it?
A Sports car is a big no no for me, I can't be bothered with the low GC and other nags of driving a sports car in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
Since you drive yourself & this is going to be your daily driver, I'd suggest you consider the Range Rover Sport. It handles much better than the bigger Vogue, easy to maneuver around the city, better looking (in my opinion) & will take all your luggage on those out stations trips without fuss.

Unless you need to seat more than 4 people or want the status of Vogue or 7, the Sport fits perfectly.

The S V8 is the one to get.
The Sport was actually my first consideration before the Vogue. But once you see them next to eachother the Vogue is larger and a more butch looking car, which is what I like.

This is a great discussion guys, when I started this topic I was leaning more towards the RR, but some of your replies have evened out the playing field, so as to speak.

Purely looking at just the Vogue and the 750Li, which would be a better driver's car?
Old 7th November 2011, 18:08   #12
Team-BHP Support

If I were you, I'd get myself a Porsche 911 Carrera (sorry, I couldn't help myself)

As Scorch pointed out, why buy a 7er when you've got a S sitting pretty in the driveway?

Anyway, I'm assuming that the new car would be self-driven? In that case, have you considered slightly smaller, yet sought-after executive sedans? The Jaguar XF is a brilliant brilliant car, and now with the face-lift, it's just too irresistible! For 1 crore change, you could even get the fully blown supercharged XF-R, I think.

Another option would be to buy Audi's new A7. Great looking, comfortable, sporty, spacious and different.

And another option would be to try out the new Land Rover Evoque that's been recently launched in India. You've got 1 crore to spare, why not spend it on the top-end Dynamic diesel Evoque, which should be around 75 lakhs.

Why the Evoque over the Vogue? I've drawn some positives from the Evoque:

- Similar creature comforts

- Similar ride, if not better!

- Smaller, therefore making it easier for you to drive it in the city.

- Fantastic presence, despite being a full scale smaller than the Rangeie.

- Should be frugal with that small-ish engine.

- Good GC, so you won't have an issue with bad roads.

- Very new, modern and edgy. Will not be replaced for ages!

If the Evoque doesn't float your boat, you could try experimenting a little with some other options. How about bringing down an Alfa Romeo 159? It's pure sex on wheels, this car. And the kind of exclusivity you'd enjoy is something no Merc, Audi or BMW owner would, ever.

At this point, I'd also suggest a Jaguar XJ-L if you're a sucker for large luxury cars. But then I'd be confusing you even more than you probably are already!
Old 7th November 2011, 18:25   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Range Rover, undoubtedly. You already have a luxo-barge in the house. The 750 won't really be practical. Plus, if you are going to drive the car yourself, the 5 series is a far better option (i.e more fun to drive).

Quote:
The only con of this choice is that I hear a new 2013 new gen model is set to launch some time in 2012.
The good thing about buying a mature product that's been around for a while is, you guessed it, no bugs! Most niggles are ironed out as the model gets older.
Old 7th November 2011, 18:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If I were you, I'd get myself a Porsche 911 Carrera (sorry, I couldn't help myself)
That thought did cross my mind.

The problem with Jaguar is, their delivery schedule is extremely eratic, plus they almost never seem to have cars in stock in the colors I want. Like I said we almost booked an XJ-L last year, but the delivery time made us move away from the deal.

Plus the Evoque like I said, doesn't quite cut it for me. I like the big trucks and the large luxo-barges, which is why I narrowed down to the Vogue and 750Li. Also like I said, the S500 shouldn't affect your suggestions, at one point my father even suggested looking at the S350 for me. But the S according to me, is best suited for older gentlemen.

My main concern is convenience and pleasure of driving the car I go for, followed by luxury.
Old 7th November 2011, 18:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I looked at the Evoque, but not only is it overpriced but I don't really like the look of it for me, it looks like a soccer mom's car, but that could just be me
Ironically enough, you are spot on, the LR's Style Consultant for the Evoque was none other than the most famous soccer-mom of 'em all, Victoria Beckham.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
For 1 crore change, you could even get the fully blown supercharged XF-R, I think.
Totally second that!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks