Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2011, 00:18   #1
BHPian

Jaguar XF or Range Rover Evoque

Okay it is time that I stepped into the world of "so called luxury cars"... I have finally shortlisted two cars based on both my pocket and interest....

They are the Jaguar XF (Diesel)
and the
Range Rover Evoque (Diesel)

Now I know its rather stupid to compare a 190 BHP SUV to a 275 BHP Sedan but I guess people can throw some light based on their thoughts ... Or perhaps some other car in the Price Range of 50 - 55 LACS (ex showroom)..

The top three things I look for in the Vehicle are :

Comfort (a silent cabin, comfortable seats)
Endless list of Gizmos and auto everything ...
A diesel powerhouse which is good for both my pocket and the right foot ...
Not a common car (Not the usual Bimmer, Merc or Audi)

Now I have never owned a BMW or a Mercedes, but frankly, I've seen enough of them. Now unless its an R8 or a X6, these cars really don't excite me that much simply because there are too many of them around and they look rather plain to me.
Old 9th November 2011, 01:34   #2
BHPian

Re: Jaguar XF or Range Rover Evoque

i am guessing the Jaguar to be better kitted out and definitely more fun to drive as well but then as drmohitg says given the current scenario the evoque will be quite a neighbours envy owners pride for starters atleast. My vote goes to the Jaguar though

if exclusivity is what you want why dont you try out the volvos. some of them are seriously very well kitted with a long list of features. they are priced a lot lower than what you have mentioned though
Old 9th November 2011, 08:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar View Post

The top three things I look for in the Vehicle are :

Comfort (a silent cabin, comfortable seats)
Endless list of Gizmos and auto everything ...
A diesel powerhouse which is good for both my pocket and the right foot ...
Not a common car (Not the usual Bimmer, Merc or Audi)

Both, evoque and xf tick all the above criteria.
The difference though would be this - The evoque would be strictly great for highway cruising & go-anywhere ability with its terrain response system etc. where as the new XF s with an improved gearbox for that 275hp and 600nm would be quite a road burner. Infact that was 1 of the sore points of the current gen xf s. The engine has sufficient power to pull around the bulk that the xf carries but the gearbox was laggy and not too great. That should be solved with the up coming xf.
Both are good looking vehicles in their own rights.
If you are a fan of throwing a car into curves and enjoying steering feedback and excellent handling with minimum body-roll, the XF it is for you.
On the other hand, the evoque looks unlike anything else on the road, would grab loads of eyeballs and would cruise around like a dream.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 9th November 2011 at 08:55.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 09:20   #4
BHPian

Exactly, they both tick the points I've listed, the difference being right what you mentioned.
I wish the Evoque had a bigger engine .. It'd be wrong to compare the outright performances of both the XF and Evoque engines right ?
Old 9th November 2011, 10:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, they both tick the points I've listed, the difference being right what you mentioned.
I wish the Evoque had a bigger engine .. It'd be wrong to compare the outright performances of both the XF and Evoque engines right ?

Yes. Comparing the straight line performance of the 187hp/ 440NM (i think) evoque diesel and a 3 litre 275hp/ 600NM Jag XF s would be utter stupidity. The jag would take circles around the evoque.
The jag xf would later be coming with the same 2.2 diesel that we see in the evoque right now. An xf with that engine would be tuned for maximum efficiency and again, good cruising ability. The XF s 2.2 and the evoque 2.2 performance might be comparable. All comes down to power to weight ratio.
The evoque does have a sprightlier engine tuned to 245~ hp but thats a petrol.
It might come with a 3 litre diesel unit at a later date but be rest assured that the wait could be long.
If you simply want a car with a big ,refined engine and fantastic handling then why not just go for the new XF ? Would handle like a dream much like its predecessor and has a good unit too. Oh and yea....it looks like a million bucks !

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 9th November 2011 at 10:02.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 10:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Getting a Evoque would be tough IIRC. Too many bookings is what I read. And you might not get a good resale value for Evoque. If you have good roads, XF.
Old 9th November 2011, 11:05   #7
BHPian

The Evoque would be my pick. Reasons:

1. Higher GC- Better suited to the roads here. Apart from Chandigarh, everything else is a nightmare. So it will be better if you are taking it on highways more often.
2. Exclusivity- As rightly pointed out by you, too many Merc's and BMW's. Even though Jaguar is also not seen very often here, the Evoque would surely tun more heads. It's an SUV after all
3. I could be wrong here but the Evoque with its smaller engine would be more efficient to run, ticking another of your check boxes.

All said and done, have a look at both of them and then decide.
Old 9th November 2011, 11:23   #8
BHPian

@PlatzdaTurbo
I agree with the Evoque waiting times, but I plan to make this purchase around March-April next year. I don't really know how long the waiting periods are but judging by what I've read on forums, I guess it runs in 2-3 months right ?
Anyway its not like I want it immediately, I'll wait for my baby

@jkdas
As for the roads I plan to have this vehicle mainly in Delhi but the purchase would be in Chandigarh being my hometown and almost negligible taxes and registration charges (compared to other cities). So I guess a mix of Delhi and Chandigarh, the roads aren't that bad. I can already imagine zooming across on the NH8

@miharbe
The Volvo's were on my list but they don't exhibit class and look aged in terms of looks ...

I am in Pune right now and I don't think there a JLR presence here (w.r.t. a showroom). I guess my decision would be based on a TD with both vehicles.

How about a pre-owned Q7 lol. I'd love that. But only thing is I can't stand the sight of used vehicles. I prefer my cars gift wrapped up when I buy'em lol. Or give me a pre-owned Q7 with a refurbished interior and well maintained engine. I guess that's possible.

I hate it that GM shelved plans to bring in the Cadillac and that the Camaro is on hold till the RHD is launched. I love those cars, owning a Chevy and being a fan of The Matrix and Transformers, my inclination towards the Caddy and Camaro is obvious !

Last edited by harpreetkanwar : 9th November 2011 at 11:30.
Old 9th November 2011, 11:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
The Evoque would be my pick. Reasons:

1. Higher GC- Better suited to the roads here. Apart from Chandigarh, everything else is a nightmare. So it will be better if you are taking it on highways more often.
2. Exclusivity- As rightly pointed out by you, too many Merc's and BMW's. Even though Jaguar is also not seen very often here, the Evoque would surely tun more heads. It's an SUV after all
3. I could be wrong here but the Evoque with its smaller engine would be more efficient to run, ticking another of your check boxes.

All said and done, have a look at both of them and then decide.
True, I would have a look at both and decide based on that. If only the Evoque had a 250 BHP engine, I'd buy it without a doubt, the fact that I already have a 150 BHP Cruze, I don't expect a lot of wonder with just another 40 more, though I agree the class would be worlds apart.

Last edited by harpreetkanwar : 9th November 2011 at 11:42. Reason: Incorrect Lingo
Old 9th November 2011, 11:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
True, I would have a look at both and decide based on that. I only with the Evoque had atleast a 250 BHP engine, the fact that I already have a 150 BHP Cruze and I don't expect a lot of wonder with another just 40 more.
Well to be honest, I have driven the Cruze and truth be told it scares me. I do not know how much faster one can go without compromising on safety. You know how the roads are .
Plus, going by your signature I am assuming you do not have an SUV kind of vehicle so it would complete the picture.
But, if you like sedans more then the facelifted XF is also equally fantastic and exclusive.
Old 9th November 2011, 11:59   #11
BHPian

Well the Cruze is a fantastic handler and I have driven it upto 200 KMS (at peak, 160-175 average) on the speedo for more than 70% of the way from Delhi to Chandigarh. Not the best highways you know.(compared to the expressway between Mum-Pune) And I only have a K&N stock replacement filter as a performance mod. Also wider Yokohama(DB 550) tyres on stock alloys.

And yeah again, I also remember braking down almost to 50-60kms when there were two trucks I was trying to go through and one of them started turning towards the other truck. The disc brakes worked just right and I felt totally in control.

I guess if I were on the Mum-Pune expressway, where I pushed my Swift(Petrol) between 160-175, I would have gone to the 220 needle mark on the Cruze easily and in no time.

Wow that actually makes me realize that I am a speed junky and I am sure I will die on the road one day. lol.

What's the max I could do on the Jaguar XF ?

I do speed, I don't do rash.
Old 9th November 2011, 12:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Harpreet the XF-S and the Evoque are good in their own little ways. Jaguar and Land Rover have the looks and the engines to match. It all comes down to what the end use is going to be. If your doing mainly city runs and occasional highway runs the Evoque is good with its 2.2 engine, if you want the torque to power out, then the XF-S fits the bill. They really are from two different segments and the Evoque Dynamic and the XF-S in Bombay have a two Lakh difference. In Bombay the XF-S deliveries start in January and the Evoque in April.

If your looking at making a style statement then you cannot beat the Evoque.

You could also like to consider the A6 3.0 tdi, 530d, X3, Q5. I know they are common cars up north, but great vehicles non the less. Hope it helps.
Old 9th November 2011, 12:42   #13
BHPian

I guess if I had just one word to describe both vehicles now it would be -> JAGUAR = SPEED, EVOQUE = STYLE.

My problem lies in the fact that I want both. I have to take TD's soon.

Based on reviews Evoque is every bit a Land Rover and has none of its negatives like body-roll when cornering. Also the reviews say the seating seems more like a sports car. But would the performance be satisfying ? For both daily commuting through traffic and the usual speeding on highways. That is where the Jaguar will fit more perfectly I guess.

But then I think, its one thing buying a 275HP car and another thinking I'd really use the power daily ... I have a feeling the power of the Evoque would be enough and that I'm obsessing too much over the fact of a mere 40 HP gain from the Cruze. I think the Evoque''s engine should be sufficient.

I need to Test Drive these vehicles. Hope to see everyone on the I booked my car page soon now.
Old 9th November 2011, 13:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess if I had just one word to describe both vehicles now it would be -> JAGUAR = SPEED, EVOQUE = STYLE.
Jaguar is both speed and style.

Quote:
My problem lies in the fact that I want both. I have to take TD's soon.
No registered car for the Evoque yet atleast in Bombay so no TD available.

Quote:
Based on reviews Evoque is every bit a Land Rover and has none of its negatives like body-roll when cornering. Also the reviews say the seating seems more like a sports car. But would the performance be satisfying ? For both daily commuting through traffic and the usual speeding on highways. That is where the Jaguar will fit more perfectly I guess.

But then I think, its one thing buying a 275HP car and another thinking I'd really use the power daily ... I have a feeling the power of the Evoque would be enough and that I'm obsessing too much over the fact of a mere 40 HP gain from the Cruze. I think the Evoque''s engine should be sufficient.
The Evoque is nothing more than a stylish looking freelander Hse. The seating has a Range Rover feel to it nothing sporty..you do have an option for sports seats though. I cannot comment on the ride as i have not driven it..but due to its improved suspension (no airmatics) would give better cornering. The performance i would say wont be a rocket and wont be a scooty either..just the right sort of balance of both.

The Jaguars 275 hp is more on tap..she drives like a snail and as a sprinter if you want her to. I know people in Delhi who really enjoy the car and its their daily commute vehicle in the city and do take her on their trips to Ajmer and Jaipur.

If its more city use then Evoque (Pure) with your eyes closed..the car can handle everything.

Quote:
I need to Test Drive these vehicles. Hope to see everyone on the I booked my car page soon now.
Dont think they have the td cars out yet.
Old 9th November 2011, 13:58   #15
BHPian

What is the F.E. figure that I could expect with the Jaguar. With a equal mixture of both pushing her in open spaces and city(read safe and slow) ?

Most Viewed