Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 11:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: What SUV for 65 - 75 lakhs

Waiting seems to make the most sense as from what i know and have read in various posts below , the next-gen versions of the following cars would be out anytime within the next 6months to a year -
Audi Q7
Range Rover Vogue/Sport
BMW X5
Mercedes M class

You would have a wide array of choices in a year's time, all new age models at that.
Old 14th March 2012, 15:16   #32
BHPian

Please Check out the Porsche Cayene.! It's a nice machine to have.
Old 15th March 2012, 01:01   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunlaxman View Post
Please Check out the Porsche Cayene.! It's a nice machine to have.
An acquaintance of mine is planning to buy a SUV in the same price range. He doesn't reside in Delhi, so he just wanted to check all the cars in person, take the quote from every dealer, shortlist his preferences and, buy/book one within a week. He asked me to tag along, which I happily did.

First we went for the Audi Delhi. Checked out the very common Q7 and the Q5. The Q7 4.2 was quoted for around 74 lacs on-road while 3.0 Q5 is for 57 lacs on-road. Just opposite to Audi is BMW. So, we went. He's in love with the X6. When we started from home, he wanted to seal-the-deal at BMW only. The X6 3.0d is quoted for 82 lacs on-road. But because 60% of the time his chauffeur drives for him, I suggested him to avoid the X6 as it's hugely impractical. And he seemed to agree, slightly.

Our next stop was at JLR. We checked the Evoque, and his and mine only gripe was it looks very small for the price. It's definitely a car to buy in a heart-beat, it looks gob-smacking! The RR Sports is quoted at 83 lacs on-road. He was least interested in that, so we started ogling at the Jaguars. After 10-15 minutes we left...

At this point I could only suggest him one car- the Porsche Cayenne. So, we headed to the Porsche dealer (Shreyans Motors). I kept singing praises about Porsche and its dynamic capabilities en route to the dealership. He seemed pretty much interested in the Cayenne, and said he might book one today itself.

As we reached the Porsche dealership, we were very much disappointed. It was more like visiting an art gallery than a dealership. All I could see were endless posters and a few officials. There were no display cars at all. Just a Panamera Turbo, waiting to be delivered to someone. The reason behind this the salesman gives is you configure your own Porsche. I am still finding it hard to connect this configure thing to a display car though. How can one buy/configure a 75 lac+ car without even having a look at it properly, let alone a test-drive? Also, the optional extra are ridiculously pricey. For example, apart from the standard black or beige interiors, the other color options are for as much as 3.85 lacs extra!!

The real deal-breaker however is the fact that even if you configure your Porsche it will at least take about 5-6 months for them to deliver the car. And if you want a standard or pre-configured car, then you still have to wait for 4 months. Which is ridiculous for someone wanting a car within 2 months at maximum.

Now this guy wants to buy the Porsche. It's not as common as the Audi and because I have praised the Porsche so much, he almost made his mind for it. BUT... after having visited the showroom, the waiting period simply put him off. He's quite a busy man, not a young lad, and he doesn't like to go to showrooms every now and then. Plus, he has no idea what the thing looks like in metal, forget how it drives. And that's why he is very probably going for the Audi Q7 or the X6. So, it's a good bye, Porsche. You just lost a customer who was actually willing to buy your car!

It is really about time to wake up and smell the coffee, Porsche/Shreyans. I think this way you guys are loosing one too many customers!
Old 15th March 2012, 03:07   #34
BHPian

After having a great experience with JLR while purchasing the Jaguar XF a couple months ago, we decided to replace our C220 with a RR Sport 5.0 V8. It is upwards of 90L, but the car is absolutely brilliant. We were told the new RR Vogue/Sport would bow approximately this time next year but they weren't 100% sure about it. You might want to wait for that, but if the redesign isn't going to concern you then you might as well go for the current Sport. We might consider the new Vogue next year to replace the trusty Bimmer in the stable, but the Sport will be with us for quite a foreseeable future.

They always have certain colors in stock and if quick delivery is a necessity, you might want to check out the RR. It also comes with all the bells and whistles in India. If not, then you might as well wait it out for the redesign, as the Range Rovers just really blow the competition away.
Old 15th March 2012, 09:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
After having a great experience with JLR while purchasing the Jaguar XF a couple months ago, we decided to replace our C220 with a RR Sport 5.0 V8. It is upwards of 90L, but the car is absolutely brilliant. We were told the new RR Vogue/Sport would bow approximately this time next year but they weren't 100% sure about it. You might want to wait for that, but if the redesign isn't going to concern you then you might as well go for the current Sport. We might consider the new Vogue next year to replace the trusty Bimmer in the stable, but the Sport will be with us for quite a foreseeable future.

They always have certain colors in stock and if quick delivery is a necessity, you might want to check out the RR. It also comes with all the bells and whistles in India. If not, then you might as well wait it out for the redesign, as the Range Rovers just really blow the competition away.
Any clue if the New vogue/sport are going to look like an enlarged Evoque ? If that is the case then it would probably make sense to buy the big RRs right now before the new models come in.
While the evoque looks fantastic, i also believe that it is necessary for the model flagship to have its distinct identity.
Old 15th March 2012, 10:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
An acquaintance of mine is planning to buy a SUV...

...I think this way you guys are loosing one too many customers!
Yet another "NO SALE" for Porsche. Some of the finest cars in India are plagued by the dealers. Wonder why the manufacturers are not seriously looking into it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th March 2012 at 19:53. Reason: Please avoid quoting large/entire posts as it may inconvenience small-screen/mobile users. Thanks. :)
Old 15th March 2012, 20:28   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Any clue if the New vogue/sport are going to look like an enlarged Evoque ? If that is the case then it would probably make sense to buy the big RRs right now before the new models come in.
While the evoque looks fantastic, i also believe that it is necessary for the model flagship to have its distinct identity.
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, the Evoque is awesome in its own right but the flagship RR should be regal and stately and I'm afraid the Evoque influence doesn't allow that.

The SA basically told me, "Sir its going to be like the Evoque, but bigger". I guess they don't really know either, but I'm attaching a spy pic with very little camp. I guess there is a lot more Evoque influence, but the style is similar to the old RR. However, I'm afraid its lost some of its "royal appeal".
Attached Thumbnails
What SUV for 65 - 75 lakhs-212fjwg.jpg  

Old 16th March 2012, 08:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, the Evoque is awesome in its own right but the flagship RR should be regal and stately and I'm afraid the Evoque influence doesn't allow that.

The SA basically told me, "Sir its going to be like the Evoque, but bigger". I guess they don't really know either, but I'm attaching a spy pic with very little camp. I guess there is a lot more Evoque influence, but the style is similar to the old RR. However, I'm afraid its lost some of its "royal appeal".
+1 . It does seem like its lost the novelty.
I shudder to think what will happen of the Vogue. Its supposed to be the real Range Rover & an Evoque's radical face with the vogue's boxy rear would look hideous
Old 16th March 2012, 17:26   #39
BHPian

I'm also waiting for the year to roll ahead for a good SUV. It seems we are going to have a free fall of 'all-new' SUVs this year including the RR and the Q7.
The RR, I bet, isn't going to have much of an Evoque influence apart from lights and such. They won't pull a 'Jaguar' with RR as the fan following is far more fierce. I think its gonna maintain the slightly boxy look with certain modern touches. Don't expect a dial departure in design aesthetics.

The Q7 is going to be based on the A8 platform and will be thoroughly updated especially in the interior side of things. I expect the exterior to have a big change as well, leaning towards the 'modern' side of things.

Last edited by Zkalra : 16th March 2012 at 17:27.
Old 16th March 2012, 18:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
I'm also waiting for the year to roll ahead for a good SUV. It seems we are going to have a free fall of 'all-new' SUVs this year including the RR and the Q7.
The RR, I bet, isn't going to have much of an Evoque influence apart from lights and such. They won't pull a 'Jaguar' with RR as the fan following is far more fierce. I think its gonna maintain the slightly boxy look with certain modern touches. Don't expect a dial departure in design aesthetics.

The Q7 is going to be based on the A8 platform and will be thoroughly updated especially in the interior side of things. I expect the exterior to have a big change as well, leaning towards the 'modern' side of things.
With the provisions in the new budget, the prices also are going to go upwards (27% excise duty or hike in import duty to 75%) on all cars/SUVS qualified as large. If you are inelastic to the price rise, you can very well wait.
Old 17th March 2012, 10:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

The inevitable has happened.
Duty is up from 60% to 75%. Heavier price -tags.
About the Q7, i have a bad feeling Audi are going to soften the Q7.
I mean just look at the A4 facelift ! After seeing the pre-facelift the facelift version seems soft and uninspiring.
I would personally like the new Q7 to maintain its brutish personality and not look like some over-grown sissy soft-roader.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks