Team-BHP - X3 Vs Q5 Vs Freelander- Thoughts !!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   X3 Vs Q5 Vs Freelander- Thoughts !! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/114277-x3-vs-q5-vs-freelander-thoughts.html)

A relative wants to buy a car for city use (Self Driven) and is looking at a compact SUV for the purpose.

His body structure makes getting in and out of cars difficult and hence all sedans ruled out.

Budget is ~45L.

What do you guys suggest?

Considering that it's going to be self driven (and primarily in city) I'd suggest waiting for the upcoming Audi Q3. Compact, stylish and good looking. His budget will probably fit the top end Q3 comfortably. Being one size smaller than the Q5, I think it'll make for a great city SUV.

Between the three you've mentioned my personal order of ranking (considering his requirements) would be Q5>X3>Freelander. The Q5 is not as driver oriented as the X3 and should make for a more convenient city car. Lighter steering and more softly sprung suspension, will make the city experience more comfortable. I've always felt the Freelander was more about utility and practicality. For mainly in city use I think the Q5 or X3 do a better job.

Get the Evoque if your relative can increase the budget(don't know how much exactly is Evoque in India). Else get a Q5. I have driven petrol versions of X3, Q5 and Evoque and i found Q5 and Evoque better than X3.

Your relative will love the way both drives, frugal (hoping its a diesel) and with great quality interior and exteriors especially of Evoque. X3 - Not so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelle (Post 2647441)
Get the Evoque if your relative can increase the budget(don't know how much exactly is Evoque in India). Else get a Q5. I have driven petrol versions of X3, Q5 and Evoque and i found Q5 and Evoque better than X3.

Your relative will love the way both drives, frugal (hoping its a diesel) and with great quality interior and exteriors especially of Evoque. X3 - Not so much.

Evoque will be too costly and I think artofzen will drive it more than his relative coz of the drool chick factor it has :D

And they already have a big SUV.

I would buy the Freelander if the vehicle does a lot of highway and out of city driving and is meant partially atleast as a proper ute. No doubts about the Freelander's off road abilities!

For regular in city/ soft road usage with the occasional outstation jaunt, the Q5 is just perfect as is the X3. I personally prefer the Q5 though - it looks much milder and nicer compared to its bigger brother the Q7.

Since you mentioned ‘regular city use’, I will suggest the new X3. Its quite well appointed and should give peace of mind with the BMW warranty options. Q5 is another good soft-roader, but I feel it’s starting to show its age.

Alternate option– Volvo XC60

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 2647521)
Evoque will be too costly and I think artofzen will drive it more than his relative coz of the drool chick factor it has :D

And they already have a big SUV.

I agree about drool maal. I faced the same when i was test driving it. Literally saw people looking over the neck. But its not a big SUV. Its about same size as a Q5/X3. It is very easy to drive in city. I did almost 15-20 kms on it and was quite at ease.

It all finally boils down to preference. A test drive will answer those questions.

Though I'm no fan of the Freelander, I will agree that it is a good "compact" SUV (albeit one that's grossly overpriced). Honestly, there is nothing that a Nissan X-Trail doesn't offer at 1/2 the price (except the offroad bit which your relative will never use). Ask him to take a spin in the X-Trail AT; it's a brilliant SUV that will leave him pleasantly surprised. He can come back & thank us for saving him 20 lakhs :D

Other compact SUVs that are light & easy to drive:

Mitsubishi Outlander (disadvantage = petrol engine)

The XC60 is a good compact, but it's not as effortless to drive as the Freelander or X-Trail.

Thanks for the replies. I TD'd the X3, Q5 and X-Trail AT and will be trying out the Freelander and Evoque soon.

X3 2.0 D- Driving it , I loved it . It was nippy and driving in the traffic was fun!. But passengers werent thrilled by the ride comfort. But definitely a contender. OTR Kerala - 46.8L

Q5 2.0 D Top end - Was very easy to drive and park. Felt like driving a smaller car when compared to the X3. But steering felt a bit vague or loose ( cant quite get the right word) which was helpful in traffic and while parking . But not so good when on a highway, I suppose.
Definitely a contender - OTR 48L

X-Trail (AT) - We asked for a AT and was surprised to find a very airy and bright cabin with a Manual gear box. Seems they dont have an AT for TD. The sales guy was uninterested,clueless and bored. I drove the car , decent engine. Nothing else.

Not a contender OTR- 30L

P.S:The Nissan dealership in question is owned by the Skoda dealer :)

Now since Evoque is such a star and the base version comes under 49L OTR , I am tempted to TD that. But JLR dealers dont have a TD car because they had to sell that to a customer :) . That is the demand for the Evoque in Kerala.

But I have a feeling, Evoque interiors (front seat) will be smaller than Q5, which would rule it out.

Is Q5 expecting a FL anytime soon?

Hello,

Get the X3, or get a good deal on the Q5 as the facelift will happen in next few months globally as the car was launched in April 2008

Regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by artofzen
Thanks for the replies. I TD'd the X3, Q5 and X-Trail AT and will be trying out the Freelander and Evoque soon.

X3 2.0 D- Driving it , I loved it . It was nippy and driving in the traffic was fun!. But passengers werent thrilled by the ride comfort. But definitely a contender. OTR Kerala - 46.8L

Quote:

Originally Posted by artofzen (Post 2648075)

But I have a feeling, Evoque interiors (front seat) will be smaller than Q5, which would rule it out.

Compared to Q5, Evoque is about 5% shorter but around 13% wider. So you won't feel interiors small. The front seat is very comfortable in Evoque. I didn't drive at the back, so won't comment, but front seats are very plush, comfortable and fits like a glove.

Try the 5-door Evoque as it has a little less slope at the back giving more headroom and space for rear seats.

According to autocar uk and other sources, facelifted q5 is expected in september 2012.

P.S: I am deciding between the x3/q5/evoque. So i am in same boat as you. The only difference is, mine is a petrol version and a 2.0T and a 3.0 in x3.

cousin just paid the amount for evoque in delhi at amp. He currently drives a 5 series, had test driven evoque, q5, montero, ml 350.
Acc to him he went in for evoque because of sheer elegance and driving pleasure it had to offer, also driving pleasure wise Q5 was a strong contender.

Quote:

Originally Posted by artofzen (Post 2648075)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelle (Post 2648633)
P.S: I am deciding between the x3/q5/evoque. So i am in same boat as you. The only difference is, mine is a petrol version and a 2.0T and a 3.0 in x3.

artofzen and chevelle: Any further updates on test drives? I am also looking for a comfortable, good to drive car in this category. I started with X1/Yeti range but now willing to look at this range as well. Notes from my TD of X3 here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post2669946

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 2671388)
artofzen and chevelle: Any further updates on test drives? I am also looking for a comfortable, good to drive car in this category. I started with X1/Yeti range but now willing to look at this range as well. Notes from my TD of X3 here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post2669946

I took test drive of all 3. But it was not a long test drive. Just a couple of miles in city and highway. Initial impressions would lead me state that Evoque=Q5>X3. Please keep in mind that all are petrol-powered. But you can't go wrong with either of three. The only worry is with Evoque considering RR's history of problems, its an unknown entity in Evoque, so that is something of a risk as it will be initial batch. Q5 and X3 have issues but its widely written so you know what you are getting into. Most dealers here are charging $2500-$5000 premium on Evoque while Q5 and X3 are going at invoice price.

Evoque's interior and exterior is very unique and better quality than that of Q5/X3, these have understated styling which you will find in every other car/SUV of that brand and gets monotonous. YMMV

I am confused and wondering if i should plonk $50k in compact SUV or get a full size pre-owned SUV or even a new MDX at same price.

The Evoque certainly is the most desirable and "Land Rovers" being the king of all SUV. It would be worth stretching to the Evoque. I've driven the Freelander and in my opinion is the better than the Germans. Excellent off road capabilities and is good on road also. Its compact and easy to drive. Never worry about getting stuck anywhere..it has the tech to get you out from difficult situations off road.