Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 23:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Would an Audi RS5 be considered a super car?

It is sleeper car :-) Really. Many would think it is just a regular Audi with CVT.
Old 31st January 2012, 01:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
So what finally happened? Since you are looking at this segment, check out the 640d coupe too. It will not be close to the RS5 when it comes to pure driving experience, but is a unique and practical car nonetheless, and also a convertible if you want.
Lol. Can't believe you mentioned that. I was thinking the same thing till I thought i already have a top of the line bimmer. Rs5 has no peer except the m3 or m5 frankly. Have booked it. Will post once its in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
It is sleeper car :-) Really. Many would think it is just a regular Audi with CVT.
Lol. Surely you are drunk at this time of night!!
Firstly it doesn't have CVT but DSG with sports transmission. Secondly - sleeper car?? What does that even mean dude?

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st February 2012 at 05:06. Reason: back to back posts within 30 minutes
Old 31st January 2012, 02:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
Firstly it doesn't have CVT but DSG with sports transmission. Secondly - sleeper car?? What does that even mean dude?
What androdev means is that most people (i.e those who aren't particularly car-savvy) won't really be aware of this Audi's wild side. A sleeper is a car that doesn't look as fast as it goes, like the M3 or RS5. To the unassuming passerby it may look like *just* another BMW or Audi.
anekho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 03:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi RS5 - What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Another question guys - would the RS5 be considered as a supercar???? It has a 4.2 litre 444bhp engine and does the ton in 4.6 seconds. That's faster than most Ferraris.
If not then how can we consider the R8 a supercar when it has the EXACT same engine?
Engine alone doesn't determine if its a supercar or not. In that case a m3, c63 would be considered supercars too but too bad they are called sports sedan or sports coupe.

While there is no precise definition of supercar - a general explanation is the term is used most often to describe an expensive high end car that is fast, powerful and has handling to match. It is something sleek, exotic, eye catching, rare and is priced in rarefied atmosphere of its own and its peers. So a Lambo or Ferrari can meet this criteria RS5 doesn't to an 'extent'.

BTW, Congo on booking it. Its a great car, remove the RS5 badge and its a sleeper.

Last edited by chevelle : 31st January 2012 at 03:35.
Old 31st January 2012, 05:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
What androdev means is that most people (i.e those who aren't particularly car-savvy) won't really be aware of this Audi's wild side. A sleeper is a car that doesn't look as fast as it goes, like the M3 or RS5. To the unassuming passerby it may look like *just* another BMW or Audi.
Gotcha!! However in my defence it does look quite a bit different in the flesh. Especially when the engine sound comes on. then everyone is going to take note.
Old 31st January 2012, 06:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You mentioned R8 vs RS5. R8 looks the super car even with a Tata nano engine - even the bullock cart fellows sharing the road with it will know that. Where as for RS5, only car enthusiasts will know this is not an ordinary Audi. M5 is a good example of what I am talking about - very few can tell that it is not a regular F10. This is a desirable feature for many. For those who want the valet parking guys and babes know that they have come in a Sports car - RS5 won't do it for them.

How about a poll?

Last edited by androdev : 31st January 2012 at 07:20.
Old 31st January 2012, 07:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Found an old thread, might be of interest to you:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...-vs-r8-v8.html
Old 31st January 2012, 10:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Its NOT a supercar ,but with supercar-like performance. Best of both worlds.
I say so as the GC supercars have, the conditions of roads in our country, the speedbr...oh pardon me i mean car-breakers, the sheer width of those cars etc make it quite a hassle to drive them within the city.
On the other hand, maneuvering an RS5 would be absolutely no different and as easy as taking around my A4 in the city just that it would have a sexy body-kit, an exhaust note to die for and an orgasmic feeling each time you press the pedal a wee bit.
There....isnt it truly the best of both worlds ?
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 10:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Definitely not a super car. It cant really be placed the bracket of the exotic, like proper super cars. Super car is a name we associate with really exotic body shapes, difficulty of ingress-egress, massive soundtracks, impractical for everyday usage, and a sub four second 0-100 sprint timing. Of course, some of these points are no longer valid with a lot of modern day super cars.

The RS5 on the other hand is more a sports sedan, with blistering performance, which would put some so called super cars to shame, and more importantly, practical in a day to day usage scenario.
Old 31st January 2012, 10:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

It will totally depends upon the concerned person's perspective.

To me, car like RS5, M3 or C63 are sports cars with almost equivelent performance, but they are not proper super cars. Heck, I won't call even a Porsche 911 Carrera a super car! Super car shouts about it through its shape, size, noise, its sheer lunecy! Case in question: Lambo Murcielago.

In a single word, No, RS5 isn't a supercar for me.

I would also like to add, supercars may make people blip their heart, in India they make very less sense. A good sports car is anyday a better investment than a suparcar in India.
Old 31st January 2012, 11:17   #26

Let me counter your question with another question. Is the Panamera or the Rapide a Supercar?

The RS5 in my books certainly is a Supercar. The performance figures speak for itself. Sure, it understeers wildy and it is not as quick as an M3, but it looks superb and it goes like a train. And in my books, that is good enough!
Old 31st January 2012, 12:57   #27
F50
Senior - BHPian

I divide Supercar in 3 parts:
1) Appearance
2) Speed
3) Handling

I feel GTR is not a super car. It may have speed, handling but it never had the looks.
F50 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 14:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
I divide Supercar in 3 parts:
1) Appearance
2) Speed
3) Handling

I feel GTR is not a super car. It may have speed, handling but it never had the looks.
Exactly my point. When you are designing a supercar, the first criteria I look for, the car has to be good looking! I mean you are free to design any shape as long as it makes someone smile whoever looks at it and go wowwieeee! Plus, it must have the speed and handling to match the looks. In most cases, these cars are priced high, are custom/hand made and are quite rare.

RS5 is a very good (read: VERY GOOD) car but its too conventionally designed. It is fast but doesn't make you feel that way until you open the tap a little.

Compare that to a Ferrari F355 (I am taking a 14 years old car for comparision, intentionally) and RS5 looks a bit tamed comparatively. A Lamborghini will grab the eye-balls even at stand still, however an Audi RS5 may not!

Same level of comparision can be made between Supercars and Hypercars. Hypercars are a little bit more of everything (well, in most cases). They are more mad, more temperamental, more stylish, more powerful and faster!

One look at any Pagani Zonda and I bet, anyone will immediately fall in love with its madness! It makes even the Ferrari 458 look very sincere.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 31st January 2012 at 14:12.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why nobody's quoted Wiki yet.

Quote:
Supercar is a term used most often to describe an expensive high end car. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car".[1] Stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match", "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own".
But its also followed by...
Quote:
However, the proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. So-called vehicles are typically out of the ordinary and are marketed by automakers to be perceived by the public as unusual. The supercar can take many forms including limited production specials from an "elite" automaker, standard looking cars made by mainstream companies that hide massive power and performance, as well as models that appeal to "hardcore enthusiasts" from "manufacturers on the fringe of the car industry".
Its what a couple of people have already said.

A supercar must be perceived as a supercar to begin with. Doesn't the original question itself hint towards the uncertainty Have we ever seen anybody asking if a Lambo/Ferrari is a supercar or not.

I think cars like Audi RS5 are already very well termed as sports sedans (as someone pointed out) and we should leave it at that, unless of course there's a better term that distinguishes this class from sedans and supercars.

Where do you think discussions with titles such as 'Which supercar to buy - Lambo/Ferrari/Audi RS5/M3' would be headed? People from within this thread are themselves going to pop up with replies such as - "look these are two different leagues you are comparing, one gives a sedan comfort & driving experience, looks a sleeper etc. and how lambo/ferraris are right in your face kind of cars with their ultra-low GCs, super-performance and how one should think if that'd go with the image and what not"

We've already not been able to very lucidly conclude what all it takes for a big car to qualify as an SUV and now its supercars. I can only think of sub-4 meter notchback designs to be compared with hatchbacks next. Food for thought?
Old 31st January 2012, 21:41   #30
BHPian

Re: RS5! What are your thoughts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
M3 for my anyday. Here is a pic of fellow member Ecks' M3. Also check out insideman's grey beast on the forum as well.
Attachment 879586

How fast is this car going when the pic was taken, how is it that you can see the entire brake caliper without the slightest overlap of the rims. Looks amazing I must say.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks