Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2012, 23:55   #1
BHPian

Audi RS5 - What are your thoughts?

So I have been hunting for an SUV for the wifey and went to the Audi dealership in Gurgaon today. They had a V10 R8 Spyder today that looked amazing though at 1.6 is a bit too extravagant. Right next to it was the RS5, which recently won the Car of the Year Award. It looked awesome. I went for a Test Drive and let me tell you guys - This is one of the best experience that I gave had behind the wheel of any car!!
Its violent - naturally aspirate (just the way i like it) V8 4.2 litre - straight out of the R8., 444 BHP, 430 NM and 0-60 of....wait for it.... 4.6 seconds!!!!
Guys its so awesome that i might just ditch the SUV plans (give my 530 to the wifey) and get this for myself!! The aural experience it offers is astounding. The moment you put it in Dynamic the exhaust note changes to a much more bass(y) sound!!!! Sounds like an R8 to be honest. At full throttle, you can hear it a mile away.
The only hitch (apart from the 90L price point) is the fact that its thirsty. Real thirsty. 4 kmpl if you are a conservative driver).

Questions:
1. What do you guys think about this car in general? - Any owners' inputs would be greatly appreciated.
2. What do you guys think about its presence? (Today it was turning more heads that I have ever seen)
Zkalra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 05:29   #2
BHPian

Re: RS5!What are your thoughts!!

How about combining both the things you like. BMW is coming up with the X5 M50d and X6 M50d. The 0-60 is 5.3 secs and for suvs it mighty impressive. The fuel consumption is astonishing 15km a liter. And the best of all its a diesel. The only problem is you would have to wait it out atleast till the 3rd quarter. But it would be worth the wait, if you ask me.
And if you need to make a decision right now, i recommend TD for the MB c63 AMG coupe. RS5 will feel like a tamed cat in comparison to the amg. Its the best sounging engine and exhaust in its class. C63 has a great interior and most of the features are standard. Also the ex showroom price is ~69 Lacs. I know there is not a huge difference but few lacs can be used to quench that thirst for few few years.

Also, RS5 is going to have a face lift soon.

Last edited by Mike89 : 30th January 2012 at 05:32.
Mike89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 10:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
How about combining both the things you like. BMW is coming up with the X5 M50d and X6 M50d. The 0-60 is 5.3 secs and for suvs it mighty impressive. The fuel consumption is astonishing 15km a liter. And the best of all its a diesel. The only problem is you would have to wait it out atleast till the 3rd quarter. But it would be worth the wait, if you ask me.
And if you need to make a decision right now, i recommend TD for the MB c63 AMG coupe. RS5 will feel like a tamed cat in comparison to the amg. Its the best sounging engine and exhaust in its class. C63 has a great interior and most of the features are standard. Also the ex showroom price is ~69 Lacs. I know there is not a huge difference but few lacs can be used to quench that thirst for few few years.

Also, RS5 is going to have a face lift soon.
That really puts a lot of hinge in perspective. Thanks a ton. I will give the c63 a try but from what I've heard it's a hard beast to manage and the handling ain't worth much. Also the image is very ordinary as it actually just looks lie a c class whereas there are hardly any A5s on the road for one to make a comparison regarding the rs5.
Old 30th January 2012, 11:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
That really puts a lot of hinge in perspective. Thanks a ton. I will give the c63 a try but from what I've heard it's a hard beast to manage and the handling ain't worth much. Also the image is very ordinary as it actually just looks lie a c class whereas there are hardly any A5s on the road for one to make a comparison regarding the rs5.

Its a matter of perspective really. RWD cars with all that power are bound to be wild so while they are quite a handful to tame, they are fun as well.
AWD cars like the Audi ,while branded as 'boring' by many including my friend here (mike89) feel planted and safe though maybe not as fun as the RWDs.

I do agree with his point, take a TD of the cars in this category and choose based on what holds priority for you. Another point i'd just like to add here is, just 2 days ago we were discussing on another thread how i have an irrational hatred for Mercs and he feels the same about Audis. So its for you to decide how unbiased an opinion it might be. Either his or mine
Best verdict ? - Take a TD and decide.

Sure i have not driven RS/M/AMG etc but i have driven everyday BMWs and Mercs and own a 3 TDi Audi myself and trust me all the rants about Audi being boring are crap ! For some weird reason most petrolheads in India give Audi a sort of a step-motherly treatment and i fail to see why.
So i would say just go with an unbiased mind and TD them before making a choice.
Good luck

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 30th January 2012 at 11:19.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 12:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: RS5! What are your thoughts!!

Quote:
I went for a Test Drive and let me tell you guys - This is one of the best experience that I gave had behind the wheel of any car!!
Having driven the RS5 long enough, I tend to agree with your 1st impressions. Those special exhaust notes while shifting gears in RS5 are very unique too (but they loose their exclusivity very soon!). I will also agree with PlatzaTurbo and Mike here that you are going to be the best judge of the best suited car.

You want fun factor of C63 and handling that matches/surpasses the RS5, my advice: BMW M3!

I know they may not be as exclusive as RS5, however M3 is still the best bet as a sports coupe from big German Trio IMO. The only complain I have with M3, it has very harsh ride while the RS5 in comfort setting is as plush as any normal car.

M3 for my anyday. Here is a pic of fellow member Ecks' M3. Also check out insideman's grey beast on the forum as well.
Audi RS5 - What are your thoughts?-ecks-m3.jpg

I would suggest take a thorough test drive of all 3 cars and pick the one which makes your heart tingle the most.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 30th January 2012 at 12:08.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 12:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Its a matter of perspective really. RWD cars with all that power are bound to be wild so while they are quite a handful to tame, they are fun as well.
AWD cars like the Audi ,while branded as 'boring' by many including my friend here (mike89) feel planted and safe though maybe not as fun as the RWDs.

I do agree with his point, take a TD of the cars in this category and choose based on what holds priority for you. Another point i'd just like to add here is, just 2 days ago we were discussing on another thread how i have an irrational hatred for Mercs and he feels the same about Audis. So its for you to decide how unbiased an opinion it might be. Either his or mine
Best verdict ? - Take a TD and decide.

Sure i have not driven RS/M/AMG etc but i have driven everyday BMWs and Mercs and own a 3 TDi Audi myself and trust me all the rants about Audi being boring are crap ! For some weird reason most petrolheads in India give Audi a sort of a step-motherly treatment and i fail to see why.
So i would say just go with an unbiased mind and TD them before making a choice.
Good luck
Lol. I too am guilty of giving Audi the pass in the past but let me tell you after driving the RS5 it changes everything. I mean almost super car performance for under 90l is something that does seem quite rare in India. I loved every minute of my time in the car and the fact that it is subtle in design yet turns the adequate number of heads is something amazing. Plus I can go to the track with this car and that's what I have been longing to do for quite some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Having driven the RS5 long enough, I tend to agree with your 1st impressions. Those special exhaust notes while shifting gears in RS5 are very unique too (but they loose their exclusivity very soon!). I will also agree with PlatzaTurbo and Mike here that you are going to be the best judge of the best suited car.

You want fun factor of C63 and handling that matches/surpasses the RS5, my advice: BMW M3!

I know they may not be as exclusive as RS5, however M3 is still the best bet as a sports coupe from big German Trio IMO. The only complain I have with M3, it has very harsh ride while the RS5 in comfort setting is as plush as any normal car.

M3 for my anyday. Here is a pic of fellow member Ecks' M3. Also check out insideman's grey beast on the forum as well.
Attachment 879586

I would suggest take a thorough test drive of all 3 cars and pick the one which makes your heart tingle the most.
Thanks. I do love the m3 however the new 3 is out and the all new m3 is soon to follow. So I guess it will start looking older very soon. The rs5 just came out and the new one is at least 4 years away by which time I shall change the car anyway. Basically I am 34 and this is the last time at which I can get away with a sports car. After this it's probably Large SUVs and sedans anyway. Lol.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st February 2012 at 05:04. Reason: Please carefully read the note in your post, thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 12:17   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys its so awesome that i might just ditch the SUV plans (give my 530 to the wifey) and get this for myself!! The aural experience it offers is astounding. The moment you put it in Dynamic the exhaust note changes to a much more bass(y) sound!!!! Sounds like an R8 to be honest. At full throttle, you can hear it a mile away.
The only hitch (apart from the 90L price point) is the fact that its thirsty. Real thirsty. 4 kmpl if you are a conservative driver).

Questions:
1. What do you guys think about this car in general? - Any owners' inputs would be greatly appreciated.
2. What do you guys think about its presence? (Today it was turning more heads that I have ever seen)
This is one hell of a car. If its an Audi RS you can be sure it will be good.

A few things you might want to take note of - this car was facelifted recently and hence the older versions are what you are seeing in the showroom and what they would sell to you if in stock. So push for a bigger discount.

The facelift looks different and mean, but personally I don't think its really better than the current car. Again get a nice deal on the current one.

Also its better to postpone your SUV decision, because the new Q7, the Range Rover, the new ML, new X5 are all expected in the next year or so. Makes more sense to wait for that and pick up the RS5 now. What say?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 12:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

A few things you might want to take note of - this car was facelifted recently and hence the older versions are what you are seeing in the showroom and what they would sell to you if in stock. So push for a bigger discount.

The facelift looks different and mean, but personally I don't think its really better than the current car. Again get a nice deal on the current one.

Also its better to postpone your SUV decision, because the new Q7, the Range Rover, the new ML, new X5 are all expected in the next year or so. Makes more sense to wait for that and pick up the RS5 now. What say?
I completely agree. All the SUVs except the porsche are at the end of their design cycle so it would make sense to wait. I just LOVE the RS5. Most amazing drive out of a practical chassis.
if they get the the price that I want then I am closing the deal today.
Old 30th January 2012, 12:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

He's got a point you know. The face-lift looks fine but performance is going to be identical so why not settle for the current model ? Its as exclusive, will still get you more stares than you are comfy with and like Akshay said, great discounts can be bagged !
You are in a win-win situation here as by the time you are ready for your SUV purchase, the Q7 and the Range would be all fresh.
Old 30th January 2012, 12:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
He's got a point you know. The face-lift looks fine but performance is going to be identical so why not settle for the current model ? Its as exclusive, will still get you more stares than you are comfy with and like Akshay said, great discounts can be bagged !
You are in a win-win situation here as by the time you are ready for your SUV purchase, the Q7 and the Range would be all fresh.
Exactly. he has a great point there. I think I am pretty much sold provided they agree to the price I have told them.

Another question guys - would the RS5 be considered as a supercar???? It has a 4.2 litre 444bhp engine and does the ton in 4.6 seconds. That's faster than most Ferraris.
If not then how can we consider the R8 a supercar when it has the EXACT same engine?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st February 2012 at 05:05. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 19:39   #11
BHPian

Would an Audi RS5 be considered a super car?

I am just wondering that if the R8 with the exact same engine as an RS5 is considered a Supercar then I the Rs5 also? I mean 0-100 in 4.6 seconds, 4.2 liter with 444 BHP!!
What do you guys think?

Last edited by Zkalra : 30th January 2012 at 19:40.
Old 30th January 2012, 20:07   #12
BHPian

Re: Would an Audi RS5 be considered a super car?

It's a point of perspective! I somehow do not feel that S55 would also come in that category, but for many it is. It is always The personnel taste..!! Look at Octavia vRS carrying the same powerhouse from an Audi TT coupe 1.8T. Now which one would you choose?

These cars are marketed toward different category of people. If, I am age fifty , I would rather drive around a RS5 rather than a R8, as of now till that age, I would stick with the R8 for the sheer glamour! Hence, the response to your Q,
:-)... is , I would not think of the RS5 as a supercar, where R8 takes the medal..!!
Old 30th January 2012, 21:43   #13
Team-BHP Support

Re: Audi RS5 - What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Another question guys - would the RS5 be considered as a supercar???? It has a 4.2 litre 444bhp engine and does the ton in 4.6 seconds. That's faster than most Ferraris.
If not then how can we consider the R8 a supercar when it has the EXACT same engine?
So what finally happened? Since you are looking at this segment, check out the 640d coupe too. It will not be close to the RS5 when it comes to pure driving experience, but is a unique and practical car nonetheless, and also a convertible if you want.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 22:45   #14
BHPian

To me its a muscle car like ZL1, GT500 and //M5 rather than a low slung, ultra light weight super car.
Old 30th January 2012, 23:30   #15
BHPian

It's like to each his own, for me BMW M3 or Audi RS5 are not super cars. They are fast cars no doubt and imports for sure, but "Supercars" and "Hypercars" are different all together. It's not just about the power, its also the shape, design, and also the history and pedigree. In my opinion cars like TT, RS5, M3 and even M5 for that matter are great cars and great imports for sure but I would never call them super cars. Its just my opinion though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks