Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:31   #1
BHPian

Nissan Teana @ 18 lakhs : Should I bite?

I came across an ad in the newspapers recently that Nissan Teana is going at 4 lakhs discount down to 18 lakhs.

I have been passively looking to replace my aging Hyundai Elantra and since I had run only 36k kms in 5.5 years, I thought it would make sense to buy a larger car (even if it was petrol) .

What are your thoughts on the Teana..

Is the Teana the older Maxima in the US?.. Does Nissan have plans to bring in the current Maxima into India?..I owned it briefly in the US and absolutely loved the huge sedan!
azifali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 06:51   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azifali

Is the Teana the older Maxima in the US?.. Does Nissan have plans to bring in the current Maxima into India?..I owned it briefly in the US and absolutely loved the huge sedan!
Even though Teana and Maxima shares the platform, they are not the same. Basically, Teana is made for Japan and other Asian countries whereas Maxima is a North American model.
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Teana @ 18 lakhs

I believe this is an outgoing model, Nissan is working on assembling this car locally sometime in future. Haven't seen many reviews of this car on Team BHP.

If you can live with skeleton dealer network, low resale (probably does not make sense in this segment), and expensive repairs (as most parts would have to be imported) then this could be the car.
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:09   #4
BHPian

18L for "Made in Japan" luxury sedan is irresistible. For chauffeur driven, the seats are supremely comfortable and you will surely enjoy it's huge panoramic sunroof. This offer has been going on for sometime now.
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats a nice pricing if for XV model. How much does the Camry cost?

Loved this ' the front passenger seat features a power ottoman-style legrest to support the lower legs'. Check pix @ Nissan TEANA : Relaxation Interior

Last edited by jkdas : 3rd February 2012 at 09:22.
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you have a dealer close to you , you are sorted. Its a fantastic car and looks like a million bucks. And the price seems enticing too. But be prepared to shell out more for services/repairs.
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The Teana's price after discount looks tempting but what turns me off is V6 engine mated to that CVT gearbox, it is about as fast as 4 cylinder Accord but drinks as much Petrol as Accord V6. Seats are fabulous though!

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd February 2012 at 12:28. Reason: typo fixed
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:02   #8
BHPian

My boss's Teana gives 4-5kmpl as said by driver
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:33   #9
BHPian

The Teana looks brilliant , its huge and amazingly imposing .
Also as its rare compared to superb's and accords , its able to maintain its uniqueness as well ..
And 18lakhs is too good a price .Push it a bit more and you might be able to strike an even better deal
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Thats some tempting price for the Teana. The backseat of the car is supremely comfortable. Only downer is the V6 mated to the CVT box.

If only they could improve on the dealer network, and start manufacturing parts locally, this one would sell for sure.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:44   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Teana's price after discount looks tempting but what turns me off is V6 engine mated to that CVT gearbox, it is about as fast as 4 cylinder Accord but drinks as much Petrol as Accord V6. Seats are fabulous though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
My boss's Teana gives 4-5kmpl as said by driver
Exactly implying an Accord V6kmpl for a vehicle that is similar to the 4 cylinder accord interms of performance.

Yep the interiors are better than in the Accord or the Superb but still ranke the Superb higher at a similar price point and then the Accord followed by the Teana due to the overall package, features and support that they come with.

Possibly the Teana can be neogtiated down a bit more to make it worthwhile. It is no doubt a nice vehicle with brillant interiors and a unique exterior it has it's -ve too interms of performance and service / support network as well as resale value.
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Did you check the Accord, it seems there is decent discount running on Accord as well. Hondas are good as they have very wide presence and no A.S.S horror stories associated.

Last when we were shopping Accord Manual came to ~21 OTR Bangalore. Chennai OTR prices would be lesser then that.
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:14   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nissan Teana @ 18 lakhs : Should I bite?

If you are going to be chauffeur-driven, look no further than the Teana. I prefer it's rear seat comfort to even the Skoda Superb. Couch of a back seat, supple ride quality and super smooth 6 cylinder engine.

On the other hand, don't buy the Teana if you are going to self-drive. It's so boring behind the wheel that you will fall asleep. Seriously. The Teana is only built for chauffuer-driven types.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2012 at 15:15.
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you wait for the soon to be launched Sonata i45, I think that would be a perfect upgrade from the Elantra. Is your Elantra petrol or diesel? From the way the i45 looks it may be a decent enough hit in India, unlike the present one. Teana hasn't exactly been a hit here. I have a feeling the i45 will be priced around 20L OTR.
Old 4th February 2012, 01:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I suggest you wait for the soon to be launched Sonata i45, I think that would be a perfect upgrade from the Elantra. Is your Elantra petrol or diesel? From the way the i45 looks it may be a decent enough hit in India, unlike the present one. Teana hasn't exactly been a hit here. I have a feeling the i45 will be priced around 20L OTR.
Thanks for the feedback Durango - I think I will wait for the Sonata or for a newer model for two reasons

I have a diesel Elantra..Although I would say that fuel economy is important but is not completely the sticking point due to my low usage

a) I am paranoid about bad servicing or non availability of parts

b) Not a big fan of the Honda as I have driven the previous gen Honda V6 extensively and the Noise / refinement levels are generally very poor! But I will take the suggestion and give it a test drive....

c) I am going to be driving the car...I thought the engine might be as responsive as the Maxima (at 290 hp, 3.5 litre)..

I have read extensively about Skoda Superb on team-bhp but Skoda A.S.S horror stories pushed me away from a Skoda Octavia (used) 5 years ago and still keeping me far away..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks