Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 13:53   #1
BHPian

Volvo S60 2012 vs Skoda Superb vs Sonata 2012

Hi guys!

I'm currently stuck at deciding between these three options :(
I'd really appreciate if you could help me with my decision making process! What i'm looking for is -

1. Lots of gizmos and gadgetry in the car!
2. Great interiors and comfort

The S60 D3 looked like my best option, comes loaded with features. But I then realized once i checked with the dealer that most of the cool features such as "Pedestrian detection", "Adaptive cruise control", "Lane change detection" etc. have been stripped off for the indian buyers.

Now, after knocking off these features, it comes close to the skoda superb...so could someone help me decide what's a better choice and why? Also the new sonata has a great engine (201 bhp!), great design and features to go. But, if the pricing is going to be above the 20L figure, paying sooo much for a Hyundai car makes me feel a little unjustified.

Few concerns with the skoda superb -
1. It hasnt been upgraded for quite sometime, and buying the car now could be a lot of disappointment very shortly down the line if there's a new upgrade to the existing model
2. The engine seems a little older compared to the newer engines - which are more powerful and efficient at the same time

Your thoughts?
Old 28th February 2012, 14:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volvo S60 2012 vs Skoda Superb vs Sonata 2012

The Volvo is good value and well built but limited in terms of interior space

Sonata is competent but not a keen driver's car. Reviews are appearing so keep an eye out

Skoda - It is still competitive - although the engine might seem underpowered, it still keeps up in our conditions
Old 28th February 2012, 14:48   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

To me the Superb is the most luxurious by a long chalk.
The Volvo is simply lovely as a car but lacks that awareness in India. Plus there is a challenge of not many service centres. I still like it a lot though.
The Hyundai to me, just doesnt cut it, in comparison to the above two.
Old 28th February 2012, 14:54   #4
BHPian

Get the Superb, if you want an all-rounder.
It's VFM will all the features and gadgets.

I drive the V6 AWD on weekends and it's fun!
Old 28th February 2012, 14:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

Of the three, one doesn't have a dealer in Bangalore while the other is not sold in India yet.

By the way, VW Passat seems to fit your criteria too.
Old 28th February 2012, 15:12   #6
BHPian

IMO Superb is the best of the 3. BTW if you are striking off the Volvo just because of stripping-off of features like Pedestrian detection and Lane Change detection then you should think again. Those features would be more of an irritant in Indian conditions where one drives on crowded roads everyday and lane discipline is non-existent.
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 15:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The two cars you have listed are like chalk and cheese: the Superb is a luxo barge while the S60 is a muscle car with no spare wheel and cramped space in the rear. The new Sonata is yet to be launched in India (but will soon)!

The concerns you have raised don't worry me much: the current Superb's design is exquisite and the 2 litre CRDI engine is top-of-the-shelf (all the VW AG family cars share it). I have heard the D3 is not a patch on the D5 or even better the T6 (though that is a petrol!) There is a very nice T6 ownership review on the forums- do check it out!

The Sonata will be launched in petrol (diesel to follow in 6 months or so I am told) and despite the power and the overall awesomeness, it is a Hyundai so handling and image are things you may have to worry about.
Old 28th February 2012, 15:57   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheater39 View Post
The 2012 Hyundai Sonata!

Mind-blowing back seat comfort & ride quality. Wait for our official review which will be up next week.

Other advantages:

- Hyundai reliability versus Skoda unreliability. Trust me, only after you own an unreliable European will you respect (and crave for) a high level of reliability. The US-Sonatas are putting in some solid reports.

- Hyundai after-sales versus Skoda horror stories. Enough said.

- Looks : Compared to the awkwardly designed, long wheelbase Superb, the snazzy new Sonata is a far more "complete" design.

The Sonata has bells & whistles, and then some. The Indian car gets cooled seats too.

Volvo S60 is too cramped, and the Passat - while not as cramped - cannot match the Superb & Sonata on backseat comfort.

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2012 at 15:59.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 16:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'd say the new Hyundai Sonata and in white will look like a chariot. I feel the present Superb has got its outer proportions all wrong. Looks odd ball at best and rather docile, previous gen Superb was looking good. I think the choice of the car listed here is in stark contrast with one another. Peace of Mind, VFM (remains to be seen), Reliability (by a mile), Gizmo's (you bet): My vote goes for the new Hyundai Sonata. Between Superb and Sonata both are luxo barges and one has the perceived premium feel other doesn't. Both are going to roll and no ones rip these cars or scorch tarmac with them. Also add the present Camry and Accord to that list.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 28th February 2012 at 17:01.
Old 28th February 2012, 16:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

I was going to suggest Superb until i read GTO's post on the new Hyundai. It might be worth the wait and the horror stories on Skoda never seem to die down. Other then that Superb is a good luxurious car in this segment.

Are you looking at Diesels/Petrols, not sure why no Honda/Toyota/?
Old 28th February 2012, 17:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

You have to ask yourself an important question if you are willing to buy a Hyundai at that price point. You have already indicated in one of your posts that you do feel the badge value is not premium enough. On the other hand the Skoda After Sales might pinch although the bangalore dealers have been good overall. But surprised to see Passat missing from your list. Its got the german build, looks awesome, is exclusive ( Superb is so common) and VW is a little better as far as After sales is concerned. I would suggest you take a good look at it.

Also are you willing to go for a Petrol vehicle or a diesel? The diesel version for the Sonata may come only in Q3/Q4.

Last edited by drmohitg : 28th February 2012 at 17:14.
Old 28th February 2012, 17:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys!

I'm currently stuck at deciding between these three options :(
I'd really appreciate if you could help me with my decision making process! What i'm looking for is -

The S60 D3 looked like my best option, comes loaded with features. But I then realized once i checked with the dealer that most of the cool features such as "Pedestrian detection", "Adaptive cruise control", "Lane change detection" etc. have been stripped off for the indian buyers.

Now, after knocking off these features, it comes close to the skoda superb...so could someone help me decide what's a better choice and why? Also the new sonata has a great engine (201 bhp!), great design and features to go. But, if the pricing is going to be above the 20L figure, paying sooo much for a Hyundai car makes me feel a little unjustified.

Few concerns with the skoda superb -
1. It hasnt been upgraded for quite sometime, and buying the car now could be a lot of disappointment very shortly down the line if there's a new upgrade to the existing model
2. The engine seems a little older compared to the newer engines - which are more powerful and efficient at the same time

Your thoughts?
Are you averse to the 'Holy Trinity'? Meaning are you concerned about the upkeep of the car too? If not, why not consider the 3 series/A4/C class. The C has just been facelifted, the A4 coming with a facelift, while the new 3 will be launched before the middle of year. Worth a look if you have the moolah. I said this since you have considered the Volvo which pretty much falls under the same category. Trust me, the difference in the 'quality levels' of the Camry/Sonata/Accord brigade and 'Holy Trinity' cars is H-U-G-E.

I'd chuck the Superb out. Reason? I'll pick a Passat over it simply coz the Passat is a much more harmonious design compared to the slightly awkward looking Superb. That leaves us with the Hyundai. It is probably a car that you should go with if you are purely deciding from your head. Personally though, I will NOT like to be seen in a Hyundai if I am planning to spend close to 25L on it, its design and 'reliability' notwithstanding.

In fact, I will probably never spend any money from this segment of cars: My next car will most definitely be from the Civic/Laura/Jetta segment. After that, it will be a straight jump to the 'Holy Trinity' skipping everything in the middle. Just my opinion!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 28th February 2012 at 17:36.
Old 28th February 2012, 23:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys!

Wrong information there! In fact, Volvo has retained all of this even for the D3! As with the D5, you will have to go with the Summum variant to get the extra kit. Since the Summum is about 3 lacs more expensive, it brings the price range into the Audi / Beemer / Merc category but none of them offer the kit that you want.

Actually, even I so want to use Adaptive Cruise but so far the feedback I received is that you end up turning off the extra kit because it will keep on beeping given Indian driving conditions. Take a test drive and you will know better!
Old 29th February 2012, 10:35   #14
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your quick response! Great views from everyone, but things have still been rather confusing for me here :(

- 25L is my maximum cut off, and at this - i'm still stretching quite a bit
- Diesel or petrol - makes no difference to me if i have to compromise on something
- Ruled out the Superb - bad service/after sales support (cant run into recurring costs and a high maintenance situation)
- Volvo S60 - ruled out - end of the day lacks brand value, and I'd rather hinge towards a 3 series BMW instead even if it lacks a few cool gizmos

So finally, i'm left with the Sonata 2012 only from my original list. Can you guys suggest any other cars that are great overall and would be a good buy in the 15-25L budget?

Thanks a bunch once again!
San
Old 29th February 2012, 13:33   #15
BHPian

you might want to consider the Accord and the new Camry too. These two cars don't have a lot of gizmos but will be very very comfortable and reliable.

If not these two then I would go with the germans. If it were me, it would be between the new 3 and the C200.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed