Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:51   #1
BHPian

BMW E39 528i

Hello

I know there have been earlier posts on this topic, but thought I'd list my query anyways.

I have always been a fan of the E39 and am partial to petrol engines for my personal transport. I have seen a 99 528i in reasonably good shape but lack of use over the past couple of years have seen a few issues cropping up. It has done about 80K kms, 5 speed steptronic auto, interior/exterior is very good and is the fully loaded version except for the sun roof. I have had it checked out by the BMW dealer.

I estimate the cost of the car + repairs will be around 6 - 6.5L. Is that reasonable? This is a KA registered car, which tends to be bit more expensive than ones in Mumbai/Delhi etc.

Thanks in advance,
Red-One.
RedOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:10   #2
BHPian

re: BMW E39 528i

The car sounds like a good option but always remember that these cars are very expensive to maintain in long term. Initially it sounds like a lucrative option but very expensive to maintain would therefore advise you to stay away from it.
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:33   #3
BHPian

My heart says :
(+) side : You will live your dream.

My brain says :
(-) Maintenance will be costly - somewhere in the range of 40 to 80 Thousand per year.
(-) Reregistration in TN from KA will be a big hassle since it is an imported car
(-) Parts availability will be an issue
(-) my personal opinion - there is nothing that distinguishes E39 e.g. the 7-series as "Bond car" or "W124- the last truely German Mercedes, build like a tank"

Heart or Brain ? Good question !

Another point : There is nothing called "Cheap BMW". In fact the "cheap" ones are the most expensive.
So hunt for later model 2001 or 2002.

Last edited by Ravindra M : 22nd May 2012 at 17:36. Reason: Additional Info
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post

I have always been a fan of the E39 and am partial to petrol engines for my personal transport. I have seen a 99 528i in reasonably good shape but lack of use over the past couple of years have seen a few issues cropping up. It has done about 80K kms, 5 speed steptronic auto, interior/exterior is very good and is the fully loaded version except for the sun roof. I have had it checked out by the BMW dealer.
I too am a big fan of the E39, its an opportunity to be able to own and drive a classic BMW, a few years down the line it may not be possible to find E39s at all. Bargain hard, its possible to get the car at throw away prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
(-) Maintenance will be costly - somewhere in the range of 40 to 80 Thousand per year.
Just for my knowledge, how did you arrive at this figure? I didn't expect them to be so expensive to maintain.
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
Just for my knowledge, how did you arrive at this figure? I didn't expect them to be so expensive to maintain.
The average yearly expenditure to keep my Mercedes W124 E250 Diesel late 1997 model in top condition is fifty thousand, this includes 2 routine services which itself amounts to 20K.

I expect the BMW of more-or-less similar vintage will take a bit more than that for sure.

Of course, you can spend less, but then you won't do the justice for your love-of-life !
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

As long as the 80K is genuine, you still have a young car.
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
As long as the 80K is genuine, you still have a young car.
80K kms in a 12-13 year old car - very sparingly run. If it has been used frequently for <5km drives, then you could have expensive engine repair bills staring at you. It happened to me!!

There was a 2001 530i in the T-BHP classifieds - a Delhi registered car in Chennai. Might be worth checking out? http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...5-Series.html/
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:29   #8
BHPian

Re: BMW E39 528i

Thanks for the replies .

One thing I should have clarified is that I am currently in Bangalore, and prefer a KA reg car, as I had some bad experiences driving an out of state car in Bangalore.

I expect 40-50k per year for service/maintenance. It is the unexpected failure of some critical part which is scary. I also realize it is critical to get a good garage who can do the routine jobs. Any recommendations for such a shop in Bangalore?

@Ravindra, I did consider the W124; it is perhaps the more logical option; but doesn't tug my heart strings like the E39.

@KiloAlpha, I saw the 530 ad but since it was DL reg, I ruled it out.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

@RedOne- If the 80k on ODO is genuine then it will work flawlessly for at least another 50K.

Only thing this car would ever require would be the brakes and suspension overhaul or perhaps a engine thermostat/water pump, V-belts.

Although I would prefer the 540 sport if you can find one but 2.8 mill is an excellent one and you would not feel underpowered. It's not to thirsty on gas and low on maintenance.

For a 99 model I wouldn't pay more then 4 to 4.5L but considering this is KA registered then max 5.25L. Thats without including the repair cost.

Last edited by Randhawa : 23rd May 2012 at 11:59.
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:24   #10
BHPian

Redone, the E39, is a great pick from the older beemers, but echoing most bhpians thoughts, pls be ready for any surprises she throws at you, especially the electronics, you should bargain hard and close the deal under 4.50. Good luck
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@RedOne
Although I would prefer the 540 sport if you can find one but 2.8 mill is an excellent one and you would not feel underpowered. It's not to thirsty on gas and low on maintenance.
540 though high on Power is slightly front-heavy. Best is the 530i if we can procure one else 528i is fine too. The inline 6s are really nice and different.

Quote:
For a 99 model I wouldn't pay more then 4 to 4.5L but considering this is KA registered then max 5.25L. Thats without including the repair cost.
Anywhere in India, one shouldn't pay more than 4.5 for a 13 year old 5 series. Even the most pristinely maintained car will need some repairs not less than a lakh. The suspension of these wear out slightly quicker.

But a BMW - why an Auto.

Last edited by dipen : 23rd May 2012 at 15:26.
Old 24th May 2012, 19:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post

But a BMW - why an Auto.
Yes a 530 would have been good, some 30 odd horses more but couldn't find one in Bangalore.

Re manual vs auto, I have an old back injury which acts up occasionally at which time I find it difficult to use the clutch. My driver gets to drive my Mondeo . So auto works best for me.

Gears,
Red-One.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks