Team-BHP - Trade Merc SLK350 for Merc SL500?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Trade Merc SLK350 for Merc SL500? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/122019-trade-merc-slk350-merc-sl500.html)

Hi guys. I am thinking of selling my 2005 SLK 350 as i have been offered a 2004 SL 500. The car is in great condition. I just need a few opinions on whether i should be getting rid of the SLK. Any info from a SL owner about maintenance, ride quality etc would be great. Any comments on the aesthetics would be awesome too :D

I am not an SL owner but let me try and help. It all depends on condition of the car. There is only a years difference so condition of the car would be a key factor.

consider these points

The SLK is more nimble than the SL - The SL is a cruiser. Handling is not sporty. Only the post 2006 models have a revamped set up making it sporty

Performance wise both would be approximately the same considering the power weight ratio
SL might be prone to ECU problems, roof problems, issues with alternator

The SLK w170 is mainly plagued with rust otherwise it is mechanically more robust

Apart from size and engine noise. There is no great advantage

I would be wary of the condition of the SL500 e.g. I was offered an AMG sl500 from one of the notorious bandra dealers for a mouth watering price but soon realized that it needed quite a bit of money to be spent on the ABS - something not immediately obvious. Last I heard, it was sold on to another Bandra dealer who has changed the color from silver to white and is asking for a healthy premium!

IF it is indeed in immaculate condition, then I would make the swap any day of the week An SLK just does not compare to the beast that is the SL 500! BE prepared to shell out a lot more for petrol tho'

If you need any further info or want a sanity check on the price that is being quoted to you, feel free to PM me details of mileage condtion and price and I can comment.

Just remember that a known devil is better than an unknown angel. You've had your SLK350 for a couple of years and know its history, condition, expected maintenance & repair pretty well. With the SL500, you'll be walking blindfolded.

I wouldn't do the swap.

From an Ex-Owners views,

1. SL 500 had the Lousy 5.0 V8 with 306 Bhp,
2. SL350 Had the better 3.5 V6 with 272 Bhp,
3. Cruising SL is perhaps the best you can get, but that V8 engine will give you it's fair share of issues,
4. SL had leak problems initially in the roof I do not know when it was sorted considering the car was sold from 2002,
5. Air-Matic WILL fail multiple times.
6. If seats are Multi-Contour you will have to get it checked as side bolsters had issues with motors in them.
7. Transmissions will have multiple errors.

I will let you know more if I remember. Point is Do NOT swap unless your heart desires it.

Regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenzi12 (Post 2809656)
Hi guys. I am thinking of selling my 2005 SLK 350 as i have been offered a 2004 SL 500. The car is in great condition. I just need a few opinions on whether i should be getting rid of the SLK. Any info from a SL owner about maintenance, ride quality etc would be great. Any comments on the aesthetics would be awesome too :D