Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 15:30   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Big Question : E220 Vs 520d Vs A6 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by manujkansal View Post
actually I quite agree with you on this point but the fact is that the backseat leg space is a big let down in these cars( 320/A4/C250) and although may be once a week, whole of the family(of 4) would be traveling in the car, & they are not going to be happy about it .
I think now my reasons for going for this segment are clear & hopefully sane

and as far as i know the 520d has all the features of the top end version of 3 series . correct me if I am wrong.
Well the C class back seat isn't that bad. Do check it out again. I mean for 4 people it will be fine, had there been 5 people the 5th person would suffer. I understand why you want a car of this segment, but again I would advise you to consider the C250cdi, simply because you get a fully loaded car with a better engine while saving quite a bit of money. Also I think it would be just fine for your needs of 4 people.

Though otherwise, the 520d is pretty well loaded with many things including the adjustable suspension, etc. The A6 once you start ticking options becomes pricey, and the E220cdi is not loaded with too many features if I remember correctly. Maybe you should consider the E250cdi elegance?

EDIT - A4 3.0tdi will be more expensive than these because its a CBU, and at least in Mumbai CBU road tax is double that of normal cars.

As for after sales, BMW will give you the most piece of mind with BSI. Merc also has started some 3 year service plans I think. Audi too was supposed to start something similar but I've not heard of anything yet.

EDIT 2 - Merc will also probably offer a good discount on the C class since they should be introducing the 7 speed transmission into the C250cdi soon. You can also check out the C class performance edition, with the 7 speed and a few other goodies.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 4th July 2012 at 15:40.
Old 5th July 2012, 19:18   #17
BHPian

So i checked out the C250 and the A4 2.0tdi premium plus. The A4 3.0tdi is not available at present as per the dealer. Honestly, I quite liked the feel of the A4 but my dad has set his mind on the BMW 520d because of space and everyone in my family likes the looks of the bimmer more I guess.

I think when the heart wants something then there is no point looking anywhere else

I will be booking the car in the next week or so . What should I keep in mind during the booking process (the usual dealer tricks, etc) & if there are any tips to get the maximum out of the deal, they would be much appreciated
Old 6th July 2012, 15:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be booking the car in the next week or so .
If you are done with 520d, Congrats it's the best in segment, but if you can wait, Mercedes-Benz E250CDI is getting superb upgrades, it will soon be the top of the line E-Class for India, I would urge you wait.

Regards,
Old 6th July 2012, 17:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
My view is that unless you're so rich that the cost of an expensive car is not pain at all, or you have the desire to flaunt a fancy badge, there is no reason to have a chauffeur driven car above the camry/accord/superb class, since these cars all have better rear seat comfort than the A6/5er/E.....

In my view, if you're buying a car to drive yourself, buy the nicest car you can afford whether its for fun (3er/A4) or to pamper yourself (E class/A6/5er) buying these cars for chauffeur driven purposes is only a matter of status....

It would be stupidity to buy a car like that and then have a chauffeur drive it.

the smallest automatic transmission car with adequate legroom for my 6'3" body is the new Swift notchback sedan and if I ever need to start driving regularly in delhi, I'd buy one of those.

and if I was going to be chauffeur driven (highly likely since I hate driving in delhi), I'd buy a camry even if I had a 50lac budget.

Short of an S class, buying cars higher than the camry/accord/superb to have the chauffeur drive it is a monumental waste of money because you, as a passenger, get nothing for the extra 25-30 lacs except the prestige.If it matters that much, and it does to most buyers, by all means buy a 5/A6/E.

Why spend 35 grand on an iPhone when there's cheap smartphones to be had for a quarter of that?
Why buy a pair of Ferragamo shoes for 15 or 20 grand when Bata has supremely comfortable leather shoes for a tenth of that?
Why buy a Mont Blanc for when you can get a Bic rollerball for twenty bucks?

The whole point of buying something expensive is to pamper yourself to the finer things in life. There's no practical rationale that can justify splurging on luxury.

I see your point but if we were all completely practical about buying our cars there's be no reason to buy anything exotic or high-end because you'd find something from a much lower segment that offered you all the same benefits minus the snob value. Still, at the end of the day isn't it possible to derive some personal satisfaction from being able to have the finer things in life?
ghostrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 19:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
The whole point of buying something expensive is to pamper yourself to the finer things in life. There's no practical rationale that can justify splurging on luxury.
Maybe I am a wierdo, but the far more comfortable and spacious back seat of a toyota camry is to me a much finer thing than the back seat of an A6/5er/E.

but thats just me.

Then again, it may be India and China are happy using these cars as chauffeur driven cars when no one else is because Indians and chinese are small, short people and the cramped quarters of these cars are more than adequately spacious for them.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 19:40   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Why spend 35 grand on an iPhone when there's cheap smartphones to be had for a quarter of that?
Why buy a pair of Ferragamo shoes for 15 or 20 grand when Bata has supremely comfortable leather shoes for a tenth of that?
Why buy a Mont Blanc for when you can get a Bic rollerball for twenty bucks?

Hey when you buy an iPhone or a pair of Ferragamos on a Mont Blanc, you are the one using it all the time. You don't give it to your driver or house help half the time to use now do you?

Its different for a car, and Harbir has a point. But yes it is a nice feeling sitting in the passenger seat of a nice car knowing that you don't have to drive in the maddening traffic.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 20:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
If you are done with 520d, Congrats it's the best in segment, but if you can wait, Mercedes-Benz E250CDI is getting superb upgrades, it will soon be the top of the line E-Class for India, I would urge you wait.

Regards,
Actually I quite like the merc as it is also but the horrifying post buying experiences I have heard are preventing me from going for it & I don't think that's going to change with the new model as well
Plus it has already been a long wait so now its time to choose
And guys the car will be self driven only so I think the splurge is justified from that point of view.

PS: Will be waiting for the new 3 series though.

Last edited by manujkansal : 6th July 2012 at 20:42.
Old 7th July 2012, 01:22   #23
BHPian

re: Merc E220 Vs BMW 520d Vs Audi A6? EDIT : Bought White 520D !!

Go for the three pointed star! You will be a happy man! Unmatched road presence, style, posh feeling.

Have driven all 3 - own one of the three cars you are looking at, speak from experience - Merc is the car you want to have in your garage!

BTW all the stories about Merc's bad service etc - they all have reasons behind it! Least Merc has an extensive network, they love their customers - also they are oldest in India. Besides that, least they don't have gimmicks like Run Flat Tyres, which have are nightmares in India!

Last edited by madnish30 : 7th July 2012 at 01:24.
Old 7th July 2012, 08:15   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Leaving aside the top-end E/5/A6 as budget doesn't permit:

- 520D is the most fun to drive among the entry levels in this range. It has got "fantastic" transmission that extracts the best out of the 2.0 engine when compared to E/A6 entry-level. You don't miss the larger engines except for the lack of refinement and top-end juice. BMW still owns the drive department.

- 520D interiors :-) I am sure there is a lot of debate around this. But I like 520 interiors (except for the small iDrive screen and the padding to fill the large screen space) - they use a design language that is different from Audi and Mercedes. The quality feel and attention to detail in the interiors is top notch. It is the same interiors from their flagship 7 series. They didn't make it a disco lounge because they have a different design approach, not because they want to cut costs.

- 520D is poor on passenger comfort relative to E/A6 but tolerable. (RFT ride, sharp brakes, slightly jerky start-stop - overall there is an on-the-edge feeling. great for driver but not so good for passengers)

- 520D is a poor choice for chauffeur driven usage due to its lack of smooth start-stop character and RFT ride.

- 520D has poor GC and comes without a spare - my transmission went kaput due to poor GC when the car went over a small stone but speed-breakers pose no danger even if it scrapes the bottom. Just don't go over stones and uneven potholes, etc. Lack of spare wheel is an issue during long drives out of town (I bought a spare to carry on long drives).

- if I were not too particular about the drive, I would prefer E. Subjective, but I feel Mercedes still gets the maximum admiration from family, friends and the whole town. Very comfortable for passengers, has the best GC, has a spare alloy, classy interiors without being over the top. E too comes with 3yrs unlimited mileage warranty and an options 3yrs service package like BSI. (BMW offers BSI for up to 5 yrs)

Unfortunately the more you research on these cars, the more you will lean towards BMWs, because most people that have time to waste on the internet about about cars are the people that like a thing or two about the drive and BMW owns it. But I feel Mercedes appeals to your senses far better over a period of time. You go through your phases of head-banging hard-rock and all such genres but finally settle down to something soft and sensuous and stay there for the longest period of time.

Get 520D for now and look out for a Mercedes in future :-)

Last edited by androdev : 7th July 2012 at 08:33.
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 09:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So i checked out the C250 and the A4 2.0tdi premium plus. The A4 3.0tdi is not available at present as per the dealer. Honestly, I quite liked the feel of the A4 but my dad has set his mind on the BMW 520d because of space and everyone in my family likes the looks of the bimmer more I guess.

I think when the heart wants something then there is no point looking anywhere else

I will be booking the car in the next week or so . What should I keep in mind during the booking process (the usual dealer tricks, etc) & if there are any tips to get the maximum out of the deal, they would be much appreciated

I know your mind is set on the 520d but since you mentioned it let me tell you, i dont think any Audi dealer has officially granted sale of the A4 3.0 TDi. I know quite a few people interested in the car but they just could not get their hands on it as it simply was not available and waiting around 6 months made little sense.
Also expecting the dealers to have them in stock does not help as this variant just would not go off the floors. It is only for fuel conscious enthusiasts & others who have the moolah to spend on it would rather go in for an A6 3 as its easily available and equally fast.
All in all 1 must be really lucky to come across the A4 3 but had you been lucky enough, you just would not look at any other car to drive atleast , even your dad ! LOL !
On a separate note, its amusing how Audi is continuously dismissed on the forum when it comes to the other 2. Used to annoy me earlier but now its plain funny. Keep it coming people . Audis are souped up VWs after all ,arnt they ?
Old 7th July 2012, 10:51   #26
BHPian

So I was driving past the Audi west delhi yesterday and i thought what's the harm in taking a test drive & drove the A6 2.0 Tdi. I must say its a nice car with definitely a more comfortable ride than the 520d. The interiors also look plush. The MMI screen looks way better than the iDrive as well. I must say the bimmer's drive is still more responsive though. There is no worry of the RFTs in the A6 & Audi also has a 5yr/60,000km service package but it's not all inclusive as the BSI ultimate.

All in all the A6 is a compelling product but still I don't know what it is that I still can't get over the 520d
Old 7th July 2012, 16:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will be waiting for the new 3 series though.
It's the best. Nothing comes close to it, and it's brand new so 7 years before your car looks dated! E-Class gets a Major facelift in Jan, will make the existing E look even worse,

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Besides that, least they don't have gimmicks like Run Flat Tyres, which have are nightmares in India!
Few people have had problems but some of us are very happy about it too, so without debating lets not call it a Gimmick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Get 520D for now and look out for a Mercedes in future :-)
Or maybe he can get Both? But on a serious note you can bargain a lot on E350/350 CDI it has very little life on it,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
On a separate note, its amusing how Audi is continuously dismissed on the forum when it comes to the other 2. Used to annoy me earlier but now its plain funny. Keep it coming people . Audis are souped up VWs after all ,arnt they ?
In that case I shall amuse you for life, But on a serious note unless it's a Quattro the A4 just sucks big time, It's not just a souped up VW it's a Semi Souped Up (Interiors) / Semi Downgraded VW! (Gearbox)

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 20:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
It's the best. Nothing comes close to it, and it's brand new so 7 years before your car looks dated!
Regards,
Now I can't wait for the 3. Hope it launches on the 19th only & I can make up my mind
Old 10th July 2012, 17:15   #29
BHPian

On another note, during my humble research I am hearing really good things about the A6 & going with what the comments are I am wondering why isn't it as popular as it should be. It seems to overtake the bimmer in almost all departments except the driving pleasure may be & there too the A6 might lack but its by no means bad. It's just not as good as the 5. Am I missing something here ? Is there a problem why people don't respect the A6 as much ?
Old 10th July 2012, 18:34   #30
BHPian

if you are hearing really good things about the A6, then who is it that doesn't respect the A6?

Last edited by Harbir : 10th July 2012 at 18:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks