Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 20:18   #31
BHPian

re: Merc E220 Vs BMW 520d Vs Audi A6? EDIT : Bought White 520D !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
if you are hearing really good things about the A6, then who is it that doesn't respect the A6?

I am getting really intrigued by it and may actually end up with it so there is the respect. Its just the lack of interest of fellow bhpians in the A6 makes me wonder if I am missing something here because the car seems to be good
Old 10th July 2012, 20:21   #32
BHPian

you have to keep in mind that most people on the internet are repeating what they heard or what they think they heard, not talking from personal first hand experience and the insight to understand and narrate the experience
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 22:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
you have to keep in mind that most people on the internet are repeating what they heard or what they think they heard, not talking from personal first hand experience and the insight to understand and narrate the experience
Yes that's largely true but I also feel that BMW has a dedicated fan base which the Audi has yet to garner. People just can't hear anything negative about a bimmer & I feel somewhere BMW has earned that place for itself.
Old 10th July 2012, 23:07   #34
BHPian

Audi has a dedicated fan base for it's Q series Suv's in India. And it's pretty much the same genes in their sedans as present in their Suv's.
Old 11th July 2012, 06:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manujkansal View Post
Yes that's largely true but I also feel that BMW has a dedicated fan base which the Audi has yet to garner. People just can't hear anything negative about a bimmer & I feel somewhere BMW has earned that place for itself.
This is simply the human tendency to think that if lots of people believe something, it must be the truth.

Its called "herd mentality"

Indians are especially badly stuck in it.
Old 11th July 2012, 22:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

- if I were not too particular about the drive, I would prefer E. Subjective, but I feel Mercedes still gets the maximum admiration from family, friends and the whole town. Very comfortable for passengers, has the best GC, has a spare alloy, classy interiors without being over the top. E too comes with 3yrs unlimited mileage warranty and an options 3yrs service package like BSI. (BMW offers BSI for up to 5 yrs)
Wait till August. It goes up to 6 years.
Old 12th July 2012, 01:03   #37
BHPian

The Audi v/s BMW v/s Benz debate is one that hasnt been resolved. Here's a useful way to think about this. Each of the three completely the other two in some aspects - thats why theres demand for all three! This is one of those battles in which you wont find one remarkably better than the other two. BUT all three have chinks in their armor. So you will find one aspect each which makes each car the weaker one

a) Aud A6i: Reliability (Global Audi reliability is horribly low as compared to the MB and the BMW, and in India, the VW group isnt really known for their reliability and maintenance free driving
b) BMW 5: Its kinda neither here nor there. For sporty driving, 3 is the king. For relaxed backseat comfort and a soft pleasurable drive, the Benz wins. This is kinda stuck in the middle. A reasonable compromise though.
c) MB E: Oomph. You're missing oomph.

But to cut a long story short, when it comes to cars, I think its useful to stop all these calculations after a while - and ask yourself which one you see yourself in. And thats the one you should get. Honestly, all 3 are damn good. Which one do you *want*, is the question!

Also, I think that if youve decided to go for an E / 5 / A6, then dont consider the Superb / Teana / Accord anymore. Why add to the confusion - they're cars in completely different segments - just because you get features in a lower segment doesnt mean that thats the one you want. A car, my friend, is an emotional decision. If you go against what you truly want, even if its logical, you're going to regret it later!

Be sure to post an ownership thread!

PS - The deal on the E Petrol sounds damn good. I'd say run an excel model with a few numbers and see if it makes sense. There is a thread here comparing the E200 with the E220. Check it out. Having driven both, I see barely any difference between the two. A 250 is punchier - but it doesnt look like punch is what you're going for. And at 1000 KM / mo, you might get away with the E200. This may be a time to be a contrarian, and grab a great deal on a Petrol! In your calculations, be sure to factor in lower resale value and higher grade fuel costs though. I have a feeling that you might still be able to pull the 200 off. Save 6 lakhs - use it to buy a shiny small car later
torquing_points is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 19:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manujkansal View Post

I test drove the merc & the bimmer last week & as stereotyped as it may sound but really its the ride quality vs the drive factor between these two & to be honest I was more in favour of the three pointed star but reliability is a very important factor for me & thats where I become vary of the Merc as I have heard some horrifying post ownership tales
BMW with BSI Ultimate gives the peace of mind.

I have no personal experience with these cars so any help would be much appreciated
just to add to that, my former boss' E 220 has been in the service center for past 2 months (its only 3 years / 32000 kms old). Has stopped randomly on road 5-6 times in last 4-5 months and they cant seem to find out the problem. Their recent pretext is that they are waiting for a part (I forgot which one was that) to be imported as they don't have it in India and hence the car has just being lying there in the service center for 2 months.

I was thinking of buying this car off him but now have dropped the idea
Old 16th July 2012, 09:34   #39
BANNED

The BMW is also no holy grail of reliability, a family friends BMW 530d's steering stopped working the next day he bought the car!!
Old 16th July 2012, 13:43   #40
BHPian

Just heard that the new 3 is being launched in Mumbai on the 27th of July.
Old 16th July 2012, 15:09   #41
BHPian

If this is posted under the wrong thread, mods, please delete/move the same. I have the option of taking a car from my company which car can be of a level upto an A6, 5series / E Class (yes I know I am lucky but that is a separate topic which need not be discussed here). The condition is that after 5 years, I have to purchase it at book value.

I mainly drive the car myself with occasional use of my driver maybe once or twice a week. I did not want to go upto the A6 territory and wanted to restrict myself upto the 3 series/ A4/C Class territory. Have ruled out MB because of the service costs and the new 3 is not yet out. Did not like the A4 as compared to the Q3 which is also an option. There is however a 5 month waiting period for the Q3. Should I also look at the Passat? Not keen on the superb due to the fact that it is too big to self drive on a daily basis. I do like the Q3 a lot and may decide to wait. I do want an automatic due to driving in crowded roads. We do take it out of town maybe twice or thrice a year.

Suggestions welcome. Please keep in mind the resale value after 5 years as I have to buy the car then at book value and resell at market value. My fear on the Q3 is that once the CBU stops and the CKD starts, the price will fall significantly.

Just for reference, my 4 year old civic which is used every day has done only around 26,000 km, which indicates the amount I use the car. Please PM me or post.

Thank you.
Old 16th July 2012, 16:30   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam

I mainly drive the car myself with occasional use of my driver maybe once or twice a week. I did not want to go upto the A6 territory and wanted to restrict myself upto the 3 series/ A4/C Class territory. Have ruled out MB because of the service costs and the new 3 is not yet out. Did not like the A4 as compared to the Q3 which is also an option. There is however a 5 month waiting period for the Q3. Should I also look at the Passat? Not keen on the superb due to the fact that it is too big to self drive on a daily basis. I do like the Q3 a lot and may decide to wait. I do want an automatic due to driving in crowded roads. We do take it out of town maybe twice or thrice a year.

Suggestions welcome. Please keep in mind the resale value after 5 years as I have to buy the car then at book value and resell at market value. My fear on the Q3 is that once the CBU stops and the CKD starts, the price will fall significantly.

Thank you.
I'd say do the 3 or a C. They drive beautifully, and won't look that outdated in 5 years. Be warned though that All models you mentioned apart from the q3 will have a newer model by then and will have low resale values. Is waiting for the new 3 an option? If yes, then that's what you should do. There are rumors pitting the launch date fairly soon.

I wouldn't consider the passat or the superb. The differential between depreciated value and the resale value in those cars may be less favorable in five years. Plus the 3 and C are a different class of car - even if features are matched.
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 00:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The BMW is also no holy grail of reliability, a family friends BMW 530d's steering stopped working the next day he bought the car!!
Any car can break down. I think the more important question here is what did BMW do about it ?
Old 19th July 2012, 01:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manujkansal

Any car can break down. I think the more important question here is what did BMW do about it ?
Mostly true. While breakdowns signal reliability - what's far more important is what did BMW do about it? Hopefully they had good service?
Old 19th July 2012, 02:16   #45
Team-BHP Support

The 5 is a great car and so is the A6. In fact, I'd suggest you to go for the A6.

But I'd also suggest you try the Volvo S60. It will deliver on all counts: the premium feel, the luxury, the performance, etc and it even looks smashing! Plus, it's the safest thing on 4 wheels this side of 50 lakhs. Your family will love it! And unless you use the back-seat a lot, I don't think it's going to be a problem at all.

Sorry for adding to your problems if I have done so, but seriously consider it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks