Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2012, 21:37   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Merc E220 Vs BMW 520d Vs Audi A6? EDIT : Bought White 520D !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
Help!
I have booked a 520d and received Vin no.
As per the vin number the production date is 08.02.2012. I spoke to the dealership regarding it and they say it is 2nd August and not 8th February. I'm confused and don't know how to handle this, don't want to end up with an old car. Don't mind foregoing the discount for a new car. As per advice from Wildon I have asked for the form 22 but m still confused.

Is there a difference between the production date and assembly date in a CKD.
Generally if you check it online it will show when the CKD kit was made, but what BMW will tell you is when it was assembled here. There was a good 4 month difference when I bought my car too. If you are still unsure tell them to show it to you on their system, that should clear all doubts.
Old 29th December 2012, 21:55   #92
Senior - BHPian

There will be a difference between production and assembly date in a CKD. The VIN says only the production date and not the assembly date.

Most of the time these CKD units are ordered to manufacture is some specific segment which means the assembly date and production date could be very close.

The one like yours could have been produced in Feb, but the parts where assembled later in August which is fine.

As Akshay said, you can request to view this data in their system to help yourself clear the air.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2012, 17:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

Most businesses in the Western World use a date format that runs as Month-Day-Year, going by the same August second should be correct. However any doubts can be cleared by form 22 as a copy of the same serves as a basis of cross checking for the payment of excise and no manufacturer can fib the date on the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
Help!
I have booked a 520d and received Vin no.
As per the vin number the production date is 08.02.2012. I spoke to the dealership regarding it and they say it is 2nd August and not 8th February. I'm confused and don't know how to handle this, don't want to end up with an old car. Don't mind foregoing the discount for a new car. As per advice from Wildon I have asked for the form 22 but m still confused.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 15:46   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi posting this here on behalf of a friend. They currently have an accord and are now looking to replace it. A couple of years back also they thought of replacing it but were left highly unsatisfied with the entry level germans since the space offered compared to the Accord was more of a downgrade. Now they have again started looking in the market and this time considering the segment above i.e. the 40-50L rs segment.

Usage pattern:
1. Car is mostly going to see highway runs between Chandigarh and Delhi with maximum 4 people.2.
2. Would be majorly chauffeur driven though my friend would also drive it sometimes so fun to drive factor is also important.
3. Back seat comfort is a top priority and the family is used to the Accord comfort levels.
4. Car will be kept for atleast 5 years. The accord has been with them for the last 8-9 years.

So what will be the ideal choice between the 3 germans: Audi A6, Mercedes E class and BMW 5 series. I also adviced him to consider the Volvo. Also does entry level Jaguar fit into this budget? They are currently getting around 6-7L off from both Audi and Mercedes. BMW has been less generous with the discounts though.
Old 28th September 2013, 15:51   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

So what will be the ideal choice between the 3 germans: Audi A6, Mercedes E class and BMW 5 series.
E250 CDI will be the best bet as majorly will be chauffeur driven, but is also fun to drive for that day when your friend feels to take the wheel.

2nd option would be the 5'er LCI (which will be launched in about 2 weeks from now)
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 17:03   #96
Team-BHP Support

The 5 series makes most sense financially, since the LCI is coming in 2 weeks there are big discounts on the present stock. The LCI hardly has any noticeable differences.

Otherwise I agree with Karan, the E250cdi is a good buy. Its the best to be chauffeur driven in and isn't terrible when your friend has to drive it himself. A 525d would be better in this regard though.
Old 28th September 2013, 22:31   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The 5 series makes most sense financially, since the LCI is coming in 2 weeks there are big discounts on the present stock. The LCI hardly has any noticeable differences.
I told him the same thing and like me, he also loves the BMW brand and heritage. But to my surprise on his enquiry with Chandigarh dealers, both Audi and Merc are offering good discounts to the tune of 5-7L but BMW is apparently not offering similar discounts. Strange since the new 5 is coming, they should be more than happy to sell off these existing stock. Told him to enquire with Delhi dealers.

Also how is the ML250 comfort wise? Can it match the sedans?
Also suggested him to take a look at the Jaguar XF 2.2 but apparently thats costing him quite a lot more and no discounts are offered.
Old 28th September 2013, 22:56   #98
Team-BHP Support

One of changes in New 5 Series will be idrive Touch , I test drove the 4 series yesterday ( Canada ) its cool , specially in maps

Old 5th January 2014, 20:08   #99
BHPian

Hello,

I'm in a Dilemma to choose between the A6 3.0 TDI or Merc E250 CDI or BMW 530d.
I'm only interested in the Six Cylinder Models and after Test drives of all the three, The Merc was ruled out due to various reasons. So, I'm Stuck between the Audi and the BMW.
So please give me your inputs to choose between the two cause I love the Audi for the Design, Comfort and Build Quality while the Beemer for the Drive, Power Delivery.

Regards,
PS
Old 6th January 2014, 01:09   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #enzowho View Post
So please give me your inputs to choose between the two cause I love the Audi for the Design, Comfort and Build Quality while the Beemer for the Drive, Power Delivery.

Regards,
PS
Seat comfort is actually better in the 5, significantly in the front and marginally in the rear.

Build is also better in the 5 thanks to the extensive use of aluminum in the A6

Side profile of the 5 looks better than the A6 IMO.

A6 is more refined of the 2 and the road grip from the quattro is superior... that said the 5 is more enjoyable to drive, while the A6 rides better.

There is very little to pick between the 2.... in most areas each car's superiority cancels out the others' in an equally important area.

I will pick the 530D, not only because i m a little biased towards BMW but also since its better to drive.
Old 6th January 2014, 21:06   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
Seat comfort is actually better in the 5, significantly in the front and marginally in the rear.

Build is also better in the 5 thanks to the extensive use of aluminum in the A6

Side profile of the 5 looks better than the A6 IMO.

A6 is more refined of the 2 and the road grip from the quattro is superior... that said the 5 is more enjoyable to drive, while the A6 rides better.

There is very little to pick between the 2.... in most areas each car's superiority cancels out the others' in an equally important area.

I will pick the 530D, not only because i m a little biased towards BMW but also since its better to drive.
Yes, I agree the Seats are better in the 5 cause of the Sports Seats being offered while the rear is not that great.

The Road grip in the Audi is tremendous, while I'm more inclined towards the 530 for the drama it offers in the Sport Mode.

The A6 looks classy and elegant while the 530 looks sporty and wild.

Needless to say My heart is set for the beemer.
Old 7th January 2014, 00:56   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

@ #enzowho: the a6 will give you more usable power thanks to the Quattro pinning the power perfectly to the road. The 530d like you said is more drama so the choice is purely on your driving style. A rear wheel drive needs a bit more skill to use the power well.
However the BMW is more hassle free to maintain thanks for the BSI plans. The Audi Audi has air suspension which makes it more comfortable on bad roads especially if you are going to be in the back seat often enough. The Beamer feels more special inside thanks to the suede headlining and sports steering&seats.
I might have only added to your confusion :P but these are points you should consider to make the right choice.
Old 7th January 2014, 11:08   #103
BHPian

#enzowho I think the most significant difference between the a6 and the 530d is the RFT and absence of spare tyre / space saver in the Beemer. If u can live with it then the 530d is the better option. My 2 cents.
Old 7th January 2014, 11:45   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

I'm only interested in the Six Cylinder Models and after Test drives of all the three, The Merc was ruled out due to various reasons. So, I'm Stuck between the Audi and the BMW.

Regards,
PS
My vote goes to A6 purely because of Quattro. 530d with its RWD can not match the grip and fun of Quattro. Also, A6 feels much more premium than 5 series from inside.

I think that 3 series is the one you should buy if you are looking for beemer fun. I don't find anything exciting about 5 series even though it is BMW.

Don't know much about the new E except that it's an awesome looking car.

Have you TDed all three?
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 11:50   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

I'm only interested in the Six Cylinder Models and after Test drives of all the three, The Merc was ruled out due to various reasons.
What were your reasons to rule out the E class?

Most Viewed