Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:41   #1
BHPian

The New Porsche Boxster S! Or any other worthy 2-door for my garage?

Hi all!!

I am a big time lurker here, but don't post much!

So anyway recently I read quite a few international reviews extolling the virtues of the 2013 Boxster and it got me thinking. The cars in my garage are an A8(2012), the X1 and the E-class(W211). All lovely cars in their own rights, but the garage is missing something, namely an SUV and a 2 door.

Now what I needed help with was the 2 door, as the SUV can wait till later (I am pretty sure I will be grabbing the new range rover when it comes out). Is there any real alternative to the new Boxster/Boxster S? Keep in mind that this is the first time I will be buying any 2 seater. The only rivals I can think of in this class are maybe the audi RS5/TT, mercedes SLK, and the Z4 and none of them seem desirable enough for me(compared to the new Boxster).

Would love to know some informed opinions on Porsche ownership and whether the cars are worth the Hype!

Last edited by BMWlover : 23rd July 2012 at 23:42.
Old 24th July 2012, 04:43   #2
BHPian

re: The New Porsche Boxster S! Or any other worthy 2-door for my garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlover View Post
Hi all!!

I am a big time lurker here, but don't post much!

So anyway recently I read quite a few international reviews extolling the virtues of the 2013 Boxster and it got me thinking. The cars in my garage are an A8(2012), the X1 and the E-class(W211). All lovely cars in their own rights, but the garage is missing something, namely an SUV and a 2 door.

Now what I needed help with was the 2 door, as the SUV can wait till later (I am pretty sure I will be grabbing the new range rover when it comes out). Is there any real alternative to the new Boxster/Boxster S? Keep in mind that this is the first time I will be buying any 2 seater. The only rivals I can think of in this class are maybe the audi RS5/TT, mercedes SLK, and the Z4 and none of them seem desirable enough for me(compared to the new Boxster).

Would love to know some informed opinions on Porsche ownership and whether the cars are worth the Hype!
The reason I chose the Z4 over a Boxster :-

1. More bells and whistles.
2. Hard-top, I've owned a soft-top in the past and they don't hold up well in our
weather and are pretty easy to fiddle with. (Gypsy owners can chime in)
3. Much better interior quality and design.
4. It's comfortable when you just want to drive about. A Boxster tortures you for taking it over bumps but again thats a trade-off for the handling it offers.
5. BMW has a better service network, parts don't take ages to arrive. BMW is there to bail you out if you get a puncture on a weekend trip to Goa.
6. Mod Potential, basic mods can push the Z4 into super-car territory.
7. The Z4 has one of the best engines BMW has to offer, even though I've always favored NA over FI.
8. It looks fantastic, it 'was' designed by two women.
9. The only non-chic roadster in its segment. Though it doesn't matter much in our country.

Other options:
Audi RS5 - Fastest among the lot but for a sports car, it isn't fun to drive. It's like sitting in my A4, shared platform. Basic options can shoot the price by 5-10 lakhs. We don't have the facelift yet.

TT - Will soon be phased out, still uses old engines. Been around forever. Most boring car of the lot.

SLK - You'll like the engine, the interior, the equipment, those vents around the taillights but it doesn't drive like a sports car nor has the appeal. IMO.

If your heart is still set on the Boxster, I suggest you drive the new one or at least test drive the current one to get an idea of what Porsches are about.

After placing an order, you can expect to wait 8-10 months for a Porsche and the launch isn't anytime soon either so if you want a car 'now-now'. Pick between the SLK & Z4.
Old 24th July 2012, 09:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
The reason I chose the Z4 over a Boxster :-

1. More bells and whistles.
2. Hard-top, I've owned a soft-top in the past and they don't hold up well in our
weather and are pretty easy to fiddle with. (Gypsy owners can chime in)
3. Much better interior quality and design.
4. It's comfortable when you just want to drive about. A Boxster tortures you for taking it over bumps but again thats a trade-off for the handling it offers.
5. BMW has a better service network, parts don't take ages to arrive. BMW is there to bail you out if you get a puncture on a weekend trip to Goa.
6. Mod Potential, basic mods can push the Z4 into super-car territory.
7. The Z4 has one of the best engines BMW has to offer, even though I've always favored NA over FI.
8. It looks fantastic, it 'was' designed by two women.
9. The only non-chic roadster in its segment. Though it doesn't matter much in our country.

Other options:
Audi RS5 - Fastest among the lot but for a sports car, it isn't fun to drive. It's like sitting in my A4, shared platform. Basic options can shoot the price by 5-10 lakhs. We don't have the facelift yet.

TT - Will soon be phased out, still uses old engines. Been around forever. Most boring car of the lot.

SLK - You'll like the engine, the interior, the equipment, those vents around the taillights but it doesn't drive like a sports car nor has the appeal. IMO.

If your heart is still set on the Boxster, I suggest you drive the new one or at least test drive the current one to get an idea of what Porsches are about.

After placing an order, you can expect to wait 8-10 months for a Porsche and the launch isn't anytime soon either so if you want a car 'now-now'. Pick between the SLK & Z4.
1. Don't really care much about those, plus lots of options in the new Boxster, it is just very expensive to get them all!

2. I kind of want a soft top , never owned one.

3. Disagree, 2013 Boxster interiors look great!

4. good point, will have to check this out once I test drive both. Will give the Z4 a try too.

5. Agree on that one too, btw instead of making weekend trips to Goa, I live here haha

6. cars stays stock, I am not looking for mad performance, just a nice little cruiser that is fun to drive on the Goa b roads.

7. totally agree, NA is the way to go for these cars.

Thing is before this generation, the Boxster always looked like a cut price Porsche to me, but now it looks so much better! All the reviews seem to agree, and to be honest at everyday speeds I don't really the see the need for plonking money on a 911, not when I can have more or less the same build quality, handling, and looks.

Btw, are you sure that the car isn't going to be launched in India for 8 months?? International models follow pretty quickly in India these days!
Old 24th July 2012, 16:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, are you sure that the car isn't going to be launched in India for 8 months?? International models follow pretty quickly in India these days!
There's no indication of the launch, a google search hints at late 2012 - late 2013. 8-10 months is how long it takes to get your car after you've ordered it.

Last edited by manson : 28th December 2018 at 03:44.
Old 24th July 2012, 17:42   #5
BHPian

Yeah, I called the dealership today, they said the price list is coming out in august and that is when they will start the bookings.Said will inform me whenever that happens, I am in no real hurry for the car anyway. The official delivery only starts in 'last quarter' of 2012. So that means anywhere from 3-5 months.

Says tentative cost will be round about 75L ex-showroom if nicely equipped for the Boxster S!
Old 24th July 2012, 18:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I called the dealership today, they said the price list is coming out in august and that is when they will start the bookings.Said will inform me whenever that happens, I am in no real hurry for the car anyway. The official delivery only starts in 'last quarter' of 2012. So that means anywhere from 3-5 months.

Says tentative cost will be round about 75L ex-showroom if nicely equipped for the Boxster S!
2 of my friends got their Cayenne after 8 months, I won't add to what has already been said of our Porsche/Ducati, ex-Audi dealer.

There was a decently spec'd Boxster at the Mumbai dealership at 92 ex-showroom, Porsche options are expensive. Specially the leather interior pack which is a must-have.
Old 24th July 2012, 18:28   #7
BHPian

Are you talking about Shreyans? Because they have been stripped of the Porsche dealership. I talked to Zenica motors in Gurgaon.

Yeah, options really are a back breaker..plus so many to choose from! Thinking of going white or platinum silver with the red leather interiors though!

And maybe the 20 incher carrera wheels if they don't affect ride too much.

Last edited by BMWlover : 24th July 2012 at 18:40.
Old 24th July 2012, 19:36   #8
BHPian

I think fre2bpowerless is talking about Precision Cars. I don't know too much about these cars but I would anyday pick the Boxster. I sat in one last year and felt that the damn thing flies!
Old 27th July 2012, 22:26   #9
BHPian

Re: The New Porsche Boxster S! Or any other worthy 2-door for my garage?

Quote:
Are you talking about Shreyans? Because they have been stripped of the Porsche dealership. I talked to Zenica motors in Gurgaon.

Yeah, options really are a back breaker..plus so many to choose from! Thinking of going white or platinum silver with the red leather interiors though!

And maybe the 20 incher carrera wheels if they don't affect ride too much.
19's are back breakers if your opting for PASM. My Z is white w/ red

I read today that dealers appointed by Shreyans are under review, and Boxster launch late-2012. :Source ACI magazine
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
19's are back breakers if your opting for PASM. My Z is white w/ red

I read today that dealers appointed by Shreyans are under review, and Boxster launch late-2012. :Source ACI magazine
So PASM is bad for Indian roads? Are there any must have options on the Porsche? I am waiting for the price list to arrive from the dealer, says car will go in production in september and arrive by late Dec, early Jan!
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
So PASM is bad for Indian roads? Are there any must have options on the Porsche? I am waiting for the price list to arrive from the dealer, says car will go in production in september and arrive by late Dec, early Jan!
PASM even with 18's is bad for our roads, since your looking for a cruiser and prefer comfortable cars (going by your garage) you don't really need it.

Basic options would be bi-xenon lights, folding orvm, deflector (if you plan to drive on highways with the top down, love it on my car), extended leather and upgraded sound. Rest is up to how you like your car.
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

The new-gen Boxster is a wonderful car. Sublime handling and fantastic performance too. The new one looks much better than the outgoing one, in my humble opinion.

Some points you might want to consider:

- Avoid the PASM unless you are planning on tracking it. The ride is very stiff when the setting is on sport. Get the 18" wheels if downsizing doesn't bother you.

- Avoid the optional and hugely expensive ceramic composite PCCB (brakes) - not worth the money if it's going to be driven on public-roads. Besides, the stock brakes are brilliant as it is.

- Options, however mundane, are going to be expensive so be prepared for that.

- Opt for the paddles instead of the toggles on the steering-wheel. They are far more intuitive to use. The toggles can get confusing. This is of course if you're opting for the PDK.

- Go for the optional factory sports-exhaust. The pop and crackle on the overrun is worth it.

- Be prepared to wait a while because this new Boxster hasn't been officially introduced here, yet.

I'd also recommend you check the used-car market for 911s. You might get some good deals.

*Also note, the new Bose audio has been vastly improved according to various sources, but if you're feeling rich, I'd recommend the Burmeister audio option.

EDIT: Here is a fantastic review of the Boxster by Chris Harris.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd August 2012 at 01:46.
Old 20th August 2012, 19:58   #13
Team-BHP Support

Boxster S will be about 82 Lac Ex Showroom Delhi , VW has increased pricing for all Porsche Cars significantly

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th August 2012 at 19:59.
Old 21st August 2012, 05:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Boxster S will be about 82 Lac Ex Showroom Delhi , VW has increased pricing for all Porsche Cars significantly
Day light robbery !! Add options and its over a cr on road, what are they smoking..
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest the PDK gearbox, paddle shift steering if you go with Pdk and not manual, Sports chrono package. The Bombay dealer was to get their cars in December. I believe one car is to come by the end of this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
- Get the 18" wheels if downsizing doesn't bother you.
The Boxter does not have 18" wheels for India, they are all 20".

Quote:
- Be prepared to wait a while because this new Boxster hasn't been officially introduced here, yet.
3 months is when the cars would arrive.

Quote:
I'd also recommend you check the used-car market for 911s. You might get some good deals.
A new Boxster cannot be substituted by a second hand 997 carrera. The second hand cars are not cheap and also you need to know its history before stepping in for one. I would only look into one if i knew exactly how she was kept before.

Quote:
*Also note, the new Bose audio has been vastly improved according to various sources, but if you're feeling rich, I'd recommend the Burmeister audio option.
Sorry but Burmeister is not available in the Boxster range and its only Bose as an option. I would say stick with the stock music system as all this costs dont add onto resale of a car, its only money spent for a persons whims.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks