Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 00:36   #1
VSD
BHPian

SUV confusion : Audi Q5 vs BMW X3 vs Volvo XC60

I need some help deciding what car i should buy for myself.
It will be driven mostly in Delhi/NCR region and a few highway trips in a month. Average monthly driving should be anywhere between 1000-2000 kilometers.

These cars are being considered:
  • Audi Q5
  • BMW X3
  • Volvo XC60
I am considering an SUV as it will be more comfortable and practical in city as well as highway driving. All the options listed have good performance in both scenarios. They have well refined engines and also provide luxury features to keep you comfy on the inside.

I am looking for an overall best package from these three. But the main requirement is a car that will be slightly easier to maintain ,at least for 4-5 years. The after sales services are very important.

I know the Japanese makes will be more reliable, but well, they are just not there yet. The build quality in the European cars is way better and so is the engine refinement and performance.

All your suggestions will definitely be helpful in deciding and please recommend more options if available in similar price bracket.
Old 17th August 2012, 07:56   #2
BHPian

re: SUV confusion : Audi Q5 vs BMW X3 vs Volvo XC60

Since you've already owned a couple of bmw's. I'd say the X3 too. Considering after sales is important to you. BSI
May i suggest a slightly unpractical but interesting option? A used Cayenne!
promit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 09:23   #3
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The X3 or the Q5 should do it, Just go for the one you like more on the inside (where one spends more time.).

Suggest you keep the volvo aside as the service networks (the number and reach of) of BMW and Audi would help manage you key maintenance criteria better.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 09:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

the only trouble with the X3 is the lack of a spare tyre. other than that, there is little to choose between the X3 and the Q5- you cant go wrong with either.

I would avoid the volvo since that is a depreciation disaster.

Also, if you are considering the 3L diesel versions of these two, and if you can strech your budget a bit, then also look at the ML 350 CDI, which for about 6-7L more is one heck of a buy.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 10:15   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
• Audi Q5
• BMW X3
• Volvo XC60
I would recommend the less popular choice (of the 3).
The new X3 is an excellent pick, but my recommendation would be the odd one of the lot – the Volvo XC60.
Volvo cars are excellent workhorses, the modern ones looks fantastic, and the 163 bhp D3 should be good enough for the requirements you have mentioned. And the Volvo should be substantially cheaper than the German duo.

And IIRC, Volvo website mentions that the XC60 attracts around 50-60% rebate in insurance premium (compared to the X3 and Q5) due to its advanced on-board safety technologies. That itself should be about Rs.100K difference in insurance premium.
Probably you can reconfirm this with the dealership.

Edit: Just downloaded the comparison sheet from Volvo website (see attached).
Source
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XC60comparo.pdf (1.81 MB, 2372 views)

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th August 2012 at 10:23. Reason: Attachment included
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 10:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Q5 and X3 are equally good cars for road use. My personal pick is BMW X3. It's got a superior Ride and Handling balance. Engine and gearbox are equally good in both these cars, so are the Interiors.

Since after sales support is important, avoid the XC90. There is a single Volvo dealer in NCR.

If you love to drive, do consider the 3 Litre V6 variants, they are considerably more fun to drive. If you can stretch the budget for Mercedes new M class, nothing like it.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 11:02   #7
BHPian

As and SUV I would recommend the Q5 considering its looks, ground clearence, quattro system, features, appeal so on and so forth. However if its going to be a softroader I would recommend the XC60 for its safety, features, comfort, value for money factor. My opinion about the BMW is that you dont get a spare wheel with the BMWs and runflats are not suitable for India until you happen to drive only on the Yamuna Express Way.
Old 17th August 2012, 12:21   #8
BHPian

I would go with VOLVO myself, and yes the scanty dealer network is a worrying factor too. In that case, Audi will be the other option.

VOLVO has had a great image makeover in terms of looks - they are no longer boxy.
Old 17th August 2012, 12:36   #9
BHPian

May want to consider Land cruiser Prado. One hell of an SUV. And with Toyota you get peace of mind which the Euros cant match,
Old 17th August 2012, 12:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
May want to consider Land cruiser Prado. One hell of an SUV. And with Toyota you get peace of mind which the Euros cant match,
But just the reliability, for on road performance it is nowhere close and it is hugely overpriced in comparison. I drove one last year, i came back unimpressed. I am a big fan of the mighty Landcruiser but i find Prado too mediocre and unpolished.

It has the same 3.0 Engine as the Fortuner, in a slightly different state of tune. It does sound crude on the outside, even the cabin refinement is nowhere close to Q5/X3. Performance is nothing to mention here, feels weak for a car of this price. Autobox is lazy, steering vague, ride unsettled despite the Air suspension.. Comparing proper SUVs, the Ageing Montero feels much better in every aspect i can think of, except the badge value. Yes, it has good offroad skills but given a choice i would pick the half price Fortuner over it any given day, it surely is not not worth the asking price.

Coming back to the topic, the OP is looking for a SUV for on road use and i believe Prado is nowhere close.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 13:54   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It will be driven mostly in Delhi/NCR region and a few highway trips in a month. Average monthly driving should be anywhere between 1000-2000 kilometers.

• Audi Q5
  • BMW X3
  • Volvo XC60
I am considering an SUV as it will be more comfortable and practical in city as well as highway driving. All the options listed have good performance in both scenarios. They have well refined engines and also provide luxury features to keep you comfy on the inside.

I am looking for an overall best package from these three. But the main requirement is a car that will be slightly easier to maintain ,at least for 4-5 years. The after sales services are very important.

I know the Japanese makes will be more reliable, but well, they are just not there yet. The build quality in the European cars is way better and so is the engine refinement and performance.

All your suggestions will definitely be helpful in deciding and please recommend more options if available in similar price bracket.
The first question is whether you are looking at the 3.0 variants of the Q5 or the X3?

The BMW will be the easiest to maintain, with BSI, infact it will not bother you at all for 5 years.

The X3 is also the best package dynamically, with the best ride and handling of the lot.

The Q5 is due for a facelift very soon, you can use that to your advantage and get a big discount possibly.

While the Volvo is good, I'm not convinced how reliable it will be. Also I found the safety features with their constant warnings and beeps very annoying for Indian conditions.

Quote:
The Prado is 60l+ ex showroom, high overpriced.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 17th August 2012 at 13:57.
Old 17th August 2012, 23:27   #12
VSD
BHPian

Re: SUV confusion : Audi Q5 vs BMW X3 vs Volvo XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Since you've already owned a couple of bmw's. I'd say the X3 too. Considering after sales is important to you. BSI
May i suggest a slightly unpractical but interesting option? A used Cayenne!
A cayenne is impractical, in every way be it the price or reliability. A used cayenne would be a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I would recommend the less popular choice (of the 3).
The new X3 is an excellent pick, but my recommendation would be the odd one of the lot – the Volvo XC60.
Volvo cars are excellent workhorses, the modern ones looks fantastic, and the 163 bhp D3 should be good enough for the requirements you have mentioned. And the Volvo should be substantially cheaper than the German duo.

And IIRC, Volvo website mentions that the XC60 attracts around 50-60% rebate in insurance premium (compared to the X3 and Q5) due to its advanced on-board safety technologies. That itself should be about Rs.100K difference in insurance premium.
Probably you can reconfirm this with the dealership.
I should confirm this insurance rebate with the dealership. Though i wasn't made aware of any such thing since i have been dealing with him for a week now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Q5 and X3 are equally good cars for road use. My personal pick is BMW X3. It's got a superior Ride and Handling balance. Engine and gearbox are equally good in both these cars, so are the Interiors.
Since after sales support is important, avoid the XC90. There is a single Volvo dealer in NCR.
If you love to drive, do consider the 3 Litre V6 variants, they are considerably more fun to drive. If you can stretch the budget for Mercedes new M class, nothing like it.
I have a VW touareg 3.0L V6 which i use mostly in the city but lately it has been difficult to source parts and get it serviced properly as the VW dealership experience has been the worst i have ever came across. So i was wondering if i could limit the use of that car and still keep using another luxury SUV for outstation trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
As and SUV I would recommend the Q5 considering its looks, ground clearence, quattro system, features, appeal so on and so forth. However if its going to be a softroader I would recommend the XC60 for its safety, features, comfort, value for money factor. My opinion about the BMW is that you dont get a spare wheel with the BMWs and runflats are not suitable for India until you happen to drive only on the Yamuna Express Way.
I have used BMW sedans for similar trips in the past 5 years and haven't yet faced a tire problem, so the spare wheel issue doesn't really bother me too much. I just want a vehicle that will be comfortable to make an outstation trip without giving me a backache.

Quote:
Land cruiser prado costs 60lakhs+, and for that price i could get a LR discovery, which i have tried and is very comfortable on any terrain.
Prado is just so boring on the inside too, doesn't offer much for what they demand for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The first question is whether you are looking at the 3.0 variants of the Q5 or the X3?

The BMW will be the easiest to maintain, with BSI, infact it will not bother you at all for 5 years.

The X3 is also the best package dynamically, with the best ride and handling of the lot.

The Q5 is due for a facelift very soon, you can use that to your advantage and get a big discount possibly.

While the Volvo is good, I'm not convinced how reliable it will be. Also I found the safety features with their constant warnings and beeps very annoying for Indian conditions.
I am looking for the 2L variants, i already have a 3L diesel doing its job, so i don't think getting another one would help me much.
I just want a comfortable SUV, which doesn't wobble about after crossing 150kmph and i don't like to hear the engine and wind noise even while cruising at 80kmph. Which is the case in the so called practical japanese SUV's. My father has slipped disc, and i need a car that is good to go over the small bumps and if by mistake the car faces a big bump too.

The A.S.S is important to me because the car will be running a lot and will require proper maintenance. I wouldn't want to lose out on an important trip just because my car is not ready to make the trip.

Last edited by VSD : 17th August 2012 at 23:33.
Old 18th August 2012, 12:42   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Of the three named I would go straight for the XC60 simply because it is the best of the lot as well as the most quirky.
A big plus is that it also relatively rare and I would revel in that!
Old 19th August 2012, 15:29   #14

I have been test driving a list of cars and SUV's over the last few months. Although i've not tried the XC60, of the other two the X3 is by far the better choice. The ride is more comfortable and it feels more stable. BSI will take care of any possible issues for 5 years

The Q5 has the worst rear seat of any 30l+ vehicle I tried. Got a back ache in 15 min.

If you are interested in a Q5 there are HUGE discounts bieng offered. Not much discounts on the X3
Old 19th August 2012, 16:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:

• Audi Q5
  • BMW X3
  • Volvo XC60

You haven't mentioned who is going to drive the vehicle for most of the time ? Is it you or your driver ?
The choice depends on that to far extent. If self driven then nothing like a BMW and if not then look for the rest. Besides do give a look to LR 's FREELANDER . I used to own one and tell you that it will give you a piece of mind no other car can give to you .

Last edited by quattroa4 : 19th August 2012 at 16:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks