Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 12:43   #106
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d (F30) vs Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan1 View Post
Wow congratulations... you were able to get a cracker of a deal. I have been patiently waiting for my car to be delivered to me since last 3 weeks but Imperial Blue seems to be out of stock currently; so waiting still.
Who did you purchase it from and what is the cost of the space saver - I may want to get one too.
Hi Rohan, I bought it from Gurgaon. Not sure if I am allowed to give names here. The space saver costs approx 26K. I got it free as part of the negotiated deal. I had asked for a discount of 5L but they said max possible cash discount was 4.75, so I asked for a space saver and a discount on handling fee. Thanks.
Old 30th August 2013, 12:48   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysm View Post
1. Tyres: Replacement of up to 4 tyres within a benefit period. Benefit period will be 1 year from the date of retail sale of the vehicle.
2. Alloy Wheel Rims: Replacement of up to 4 alloys within a benefit period. Benefit period will be 1 year from the date of retail sale of the vehicle.
3. Hydrostatic Lock: Coverage of repair costs caused by a hydrostatic lock within the benefit period. Benefit period will be 1 year from the date of retail sale of the vehicle.
4. Roadside Assistance: Coverage for a period of 2 years from the date of retail sale of the vehicle.

I thought this was awesome and have decided to stay with Run flats in the first year.
Just for your information, all these benefits are also available with ICICI, so do take a look when its renewal time next year

BMW Secure (which I also opted for initially) is overpriced for what it offers (I think its covered by Bajaj, which is sometimes bloody expensive).

The issue with Runflats is not about whether they are covered under insurance but the inconvenience caused if you have a blowout during a long distance trip, miles from civilization. I understand from your post that you will not be doing much of the same so you should be good. Btw, the runflats are not as bad as they are made out to be, my current set has done 25k kms (the first set of Pirellis were replaced under warranty at 6k kms) and still have reasonable tread left.
Old 30th August 2013, 12:54   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Just for your information, all these benefits are also available with ICICI, so do take a look when its renewal time next year

BMW Secure (which I also opted for initially) is overpriced for what it offers (I think its covered by Bajaj, which is sometimes bloody expensive).

The issue with Runflats is not about whether they are covered under insurance but the inconvenience caused if you have a blowout during a long distance trip, miles from civilization. I understand from your post that you will not be doing much of the same so you should be good. Btw, the runflats are not as bad as they are made out to be, my current set has done 25k kms (the first set of Pirellis were replaced under warranty at 6k kms) and still have reasonable tread left.
Thanks, Suman, for the info. I do have the Space saver in any case. I was planning to change to tubeless next year or the next change, whichever comes earlier, but if they are good, may just continue.

Also, I did not have to pay for the BMW secure. These benefits seem to come by default with the car now. I have not taken the insurance from the dealer.
Old 30th August 2013, 14:42   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I did not have to pay for the BMW secure. These benefits seem to come by default with the car now. I have not taken the insurance from the dealer.
Yeah, I now recollect some recent advertisments where BMW Secure was being offered complimentary. But to be able to get away with not taking Insurance from the Dealer - that's neat

Last edited by suman : 30th August 2013 at 14:54.
Old 30th August 2013, 19:10   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Suman, for the info. I do have the Space saver in any case. I was planning to change to tubeless next year or the next change, whichever comes earlier, but if they are good, may just continue.

Hi Sunny! First of all big congrats on getting the ride. Can you please share the details with me on my email id that is adisinghv12@gmail.com ? Would be of great help. I'm planning for a 320d SportsLine and they are offering me a discount of 3.75L which is a good 1L less from what you have got. Please mail me all the details like the discounted ex showroom price, month of purchase, the sales representative details, the cost of insurance and...ummm that would be all Thanks once again!
Old 30th August 2013, 21:47   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post

Thanks for asking. In the last few days, while I drive via my usual route

That reduces my options - if i am insistent on BMW - to X1. Like someone had suggested, I will talk to the dealership again and see if they can do something to bring down the X1 sportline price within my budget.

Meanwhile there are suggestions from friends to consider Q3 as well.
I'm certain this is one of the most joy-ous (pun intended) decision making that you will go though. Luckily I has the same options few weeks back, wherein my quest began with Q3 as my 2 sedans were serving me well and an SUV ( a soft roader actually in case of Q3) was an obvious choice for me. But the TD of the Q3 really left me wanting for more... From the engine to the lack of a typical road presence that you expect from an SUV; I felt dwarfed in traffic and that's when I realised Q3 is not an SUV but a soft roader and I was vocal of this displeasure to the sales guy from Audi who then, very smartly began pitching the A4 and insisted on its TD, the next day. A4 felt plush inside and gadgety in comparison to the Q3 - though the engine and the torque did not quite catch my attention. Its a good car but just a premium sedan and not a sports sedan. So we were back to where we has started - asking ourselves, what car. Honestly, I was enjoying the process of these TDs and while it was not on my original list, called BMW to send in the 320d - from interiors to handing to torque I car was wow... I can never forget the grin on my face when I first hit the sport mode on the empty Nelson Mandela road... I had found my car. And then the rest, was history. Although I did TD the 320d 3 more times since then except it wasn't to help decide but rather because I just couldn't get enough of the car. I am still yet to get the delivery of the car so itching to TD again, but I doubt they will send it to me anymore.
Anyways the sales agent today confirmed that my car has been manufactured, gave me the VIN and is expected to leave VDC tomorrow and I should have it in the next 10 days, hopefully!
Old 31st August 2013, 11:10   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After negotiating for a month with the two dealers, I got a discount of Rs. 4.75 lakhs and a Space saver. If you need specific details, please feel free to message me.
Congratulations on your 320d. Do share some pics and if possible a ownership report of the same. Watching a BMW is always a treat.
Unable to PM you since you have newly joined. So can you please mail me the details of your deal on dr.mohitg@yahoo.com?
Old 31st August 2013, 11:18   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post
Thanks for asking. In the last few days, while I drive via my usual route, I have always been evaluating whether I will be able to able to confidently drive a 3-series over those roads. The more I drive like that, the less confident I feel. Even when my employer is taking care of the maintenance, I will not be able to drive the car on those stretches.

That reduces my options - if i am insistent on BMW - to X1. Like someone had suggested, I will talk to the dealership again and see if they can do something to bring down the X1 sportline price within my budget.

Meanwhile there are suggestions from friends to consider Q3 as well.

Ouch! Thsoe must be some seriously bad roads then. But, I'd still test the car out on those roads. This will also give you a good indication of whether or not you will be able to take the car on trips without too much of an issue. You could consider the new 1 series. Should be a good drive, but again the same road issues will creep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
T

Not a fan of X1 as it is not a very well put-together car inside out.

Owning any expensive car in Bangalore is a pain. I don't mean the financial aspect. GC may offer some protection, but you still have to deal with crazy traffic, narrow lanes, falling trees, guilty-by-default-in-accidents and so on. So if you wish to drive an expensive car with "peace of mind like driving a battered Sumo" it is not going to happen.

Either don't buy any expensive car or embrace the headache and buy what you like the most.
I happen to agree with androdev, the X1 simply is not worth the money. You'd be better off in the Yeti or the upcoming Taigun. I am more impressed with the fit and finish of the Superb/Passat/Laura than I am with the X1. Even the Yeti finish is iffy when compared to the rest.

Test the 3 out on bad roads, it may just surprise you. With its stiff euro suspension set up, it can handle a lot of bad stretches as long as it is driven with care. Of-course, if you want to power through craters, it is not the car for you. Neither is the X1.

The Q3 is a better package than the X1, but again it is considerably stripped down when compared to its sedan sibling. Just not worth the money IMO. Hopefully now that the Q3 is available in manual transmission, it is only a matter of time before the A4/3 series start becoming available in 6 speeds. That would certainly offer a good choice to customers.

Last edited by imp! : 31st August 2013 at 11:32.
Old 31st August 2013, 11:27   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post

Ouch! Thsoe must be some seriously bad roads then. But, I'd still test the car out on those roads. This will also give you a good indication of whether or not you will be able to take the car on trips without too much of an issue.

I happen to agree with androdev, the X1 simply is not worth the money. You'd be better off in the Yeti or the upcoming Taigun. I am more impressed with the fit and finish of the Superb/Passat/Laura than I am with the X1. Even the Yeti finish is iffy when compared to the rest.

Test the 3 out on bad roads, it may just surprise you. With its stiff euro suspension set up, it can handle a lot of bad stretches as long as it is driven with care. Of-course, if you want to power through craters, it is not the car for you. Neither is the X1.

The Q3 is a better package than the X1, but again it is considerably stripped down when compared to its sedan sibling. Just not worth the money IMO. Hopefully now that the Q3 is available in manual transmission, it is only a matter of time before the A4/3 series start becoming available in 6 speeds. That would certainly offer a good choice to customers.

Buddy if its bad roads, skoda is not an option for u! While your company is paying for maintaining the car, it'll stay in the workshop for many days sometimes.

As far as the X1 is concerned, it's exactly the same car as the 320d with an ugly face. GC is also nearly same. Both cars are equally delicate in that sense. A BMW will cost you less money and less headache than a laura/superb at the end of 5 years of broken road driving.

The only premium car made to handle such road conditions is the land rover but its quite stripped down.

I'd buy a fortuner automatic. And drive it through the jungle for all I care.
Old 31st August 2013, 11:48   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
As far as the X1 is concerned, it's exactly the same car as the 320d with an ugly face. GC is also nearly same. Both cars are equally delicate in that sense. A BMW will cost you less money and less headache than a laura/superb at the end of 5 years of broken road driving.
Agree on the X1 v/s 320d bit, but how does a Laura/Superb can cost more compared to a BMW (for a duration of 5 years driving on imperfect roads)?
IMO Skoda is quite well equipped to tackle bad roads with its rough road package.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 11:54   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy if its bad roads, skoda is not an option for u! While your company is paying for maintaining the car, it'll stay in the workshop for many days sometimes.
I was comparing the build quality of the X1 with the premium Skoda/VW offerings, not suggesting he consider Skodas/VWs. However, as far as this statement is concerned are you speaking from experience? Because we own a Laura and a Superb in the family and the Superb mechatronics is the only thing that gave us problems and was fixed by Skoda dealers in Bombay in a prompt manner along with offering us extended warranty free of cost. My Laura has been to service centers for standard servicing, a sensor change and a whistling noise from the drivers side door, all of which were done in a couple of hours or same day. I drive on some of the worst roads in Bangalore and my Laura has never spent more than a day being fixed. Since the OP wants a more premium car, clearly these are not options to consider.

Quote:
As far as the X1 is concerned, it's exactly the same car as the 320d with an ugly face. GC is also nearly same. Both cars are equally delicate in that sense.
And yet, the X1 just seems to handle craters a little bit better than the 3, and that can make all the difference. Still the X1 is simply too much of a compromise to consider.

Quote:
A BMW will cost you less money and less headache than a laura/superb at the end of 5 years of broken road driving.

The only premium car made to handle such road conditions is the land rover but its quite stripped down.

I'd buy a fortuner automatic. And drive it through the jungle for all I care.
What rubbish, this is as generalized a statement I have ever heard. I've not yet had a headache dealing with my Skodas after 4 years of broken road driving. Many people are perfectly happy with their Skodas, many have also had a lot of headaches. Just as any other car brand owner, including Maruti owners.
No the Land Rovers are not the only cars that can handle bad roads. I suppose you are referring to the Freelander 2. "Quite stripped down" is a gross exaggeration of the equipment levels in the Facelifted FL2. At the end of the day if you want the most gimmicky softroader in the bracket, buy a Q5, if you want a fast chuckable one, buy the X3. If however, you want a low-key tough as nails, well put together, good drive experience with excellent comfort and incredible off road manners, nothing in that bracket beats the FL2. As far as I am concerned, any one not needing a softroader ought to buy the 5-series/E-class/Jaguar XF for their equipment levels and comfort. If you need a softroader, buy the FL2 for its capability. The Q5 and X3 are posers when you compare them to their sedan siblings or the FL2's capability.

If anything, the Fortuner automatic is a stripped down lorry with no refinement, questionable fit and finish with bullet proof reliability. If one is spending 30 lacs on a car, one expects certain levels of refinement.
imp! is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 17:04   #117
BHPian

Quote:
I was comparing the build quality of the X1 with the premium Skoda/VW offerings, not suggesting he consider Skodas/VWs. However, as far as this statement is concerned are you speaking from experience?
What rubbish, this is as generalized a statement I have ever heard. I've not yet had a headache dealing with my Skodas after 4 years of broken road driving. Many people are perfectly happy with their Skodas, many have also had a lot of headaches. Just as any other car brand owner, including Maruti owners.
Firstly let me say a big HELLO! you're officially the first PROUD owner of a SKODA that I've come across.
As you rightly pointed out, the above comment was made from personal experience obviously. And yes, it was horrible to say the least ! You're also right in saying, almost all brands have happy and unhappy customers but in this regard, SKODA pretty much tops the list of unhappy customers.

In any case, you're one lucky person to have had such a smooth ride with your SKODAs. Let me assure you, a major bunch of us have not been as lucky with skoda. You obviously take very good care of your cars

Quote:
No the Land Rovers are not the only cars that can handle bad roads. I suppose you are referring to the Freelander 2. "Quite stripped down" is a gross exaggeration of the equipment levels in the Facelifted FL2. At the end of the day if you want the most gimmicky softroader in the bracket, buy a Q5, if you want a fast chuckable one, buy the X3. If however, you want a low-key tough as nails, well put together, good drive experience with excellent comfort and incredible off road manners, nothing in that bracket beats the FL2.
Rubbish? Gross Exaggeration? LOL. Its just a comment, take it easy brother. Its a car that costs 38 lacs ex showroom today
Here's what the base model misses out on. I'm only going to name a few of many.

- Sunroof
- Electrically Adjustable Front Driver's seat (yes! even this!)
- Front Arm Rests
- Rear middle seat headrest (how much money are they saving by omitting this'?)
- Carpet Mats (lol carpet mats for god's sake)

All of these are available in the higher spec models that'll cost you a couple of lacs at least.

I understand you may be referring to its off road abilities which is what i mentioned in the first place. But yes, it is equipped to do just that !, similar to the fortuner but at a premium of about 20 lacs OTR. Thats a hell of a lot to pay and i sure as hell wouldn't pay that for an SUV which doesnt even have electrically adjustable seats for god's sake ! LOL

Quote:
If one is spending 30 lacs on a car, one expects certain levels of refinement.
Exactly my point my friend. If you're not willing to spend 30 lacs on a car thats been the clear winner in terms of off road ability and reliability. Who in their right mind would consider an LR2 worth 45 lacs on road, with similar gadgetry, and costs about 10 times more than the Toyota to maintain, a good buy?

Anyway, lets stay on topic shall we?

As i said, my first choice would be a 320d (unlike the 2012 make, 2013 make comes with a higher GC). And i would simply tell myself that I'm gonna be extra careful on the broken roads.

2nd priority would be the fortuner (only because the person in question seems to doing so much of his driving on very bad roads.)

Last edited by Bluebeem : 31st August 2013 at 17:06.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 17:06   #118
BHPian

Quote:
X1 just seems to handle craters a little bit better than the 3, and that can make all the difference.
To add a perspective after owning the car for a while The space at the rear seats are definitely quiet less as compared to the others. As for craters never not once has the car bottomed out and scraped till now on a crater or speed breaker. Lastly the hydraulic power steering in the city is giving my forearms a workout.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:44   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as the X1 is concerned, it's exactly the same car as the 320d with an ugly face. GC is also nearly same.
LOL, 157 mm on the 3 series versus 179 mm on the X1. Nearly the same? I don't think so, an inch does make a difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Lastly the hydraulic power steering in the city is giving my forearms a workout.
The current X1s come with Servotronic

Last edited by suman : 2nd September 2013 at 12:53.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:56   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
LOL, 157 mm on the 3 series versus 179 mm on the X1. Nearly the same? I don't think so

The current X1s come with Servotronic
Sorry my bad. I never got down to the exact numbers on this. It just looks so low compared to the other crossovers like Q3.

The point I was trying to make is X1 still an awful looking car. Probably the worst looking/feeling car south of 35 lacs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks