Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2012, 13:23   #1
BHPian

BMW 320d (F30) vs Audi A4

Am once again in a dilemma , this time between 320d F30 base verses the A4 2.0 TDI premium.

Priced similarly at 36 lac and 37.45 lac respectively onroad Mumbai but packaged differently.

The 3 base version doesn't have the features set , which I believe should be standard for a car of this category, which A4 has a less exciting engine.

BMW has the bsi safety net, which gives it a good edge, but overall both cars appears to be priced a above their value.

Audi on the other hand a ready. Finance offer. at 7.22% for 7 years and low down payment of 4.8lacs. ( Or take 1.5lac cash discount and take a loan from your favorite bank). BMWis still working to give a finance proposal to match.

The x1 looks quite different , after the new 3 came up.

Any inputs &. Advocacy to help clear the predicament , most welcome.

320d ? A4 ? X1 ? Or go for a 1 year old C class Cdi avante garde trim at sub 30?
Old 16th September 2012, 14:16   #2
BHPian

re: BMW 320d (F30) vs Audi A4

Minus the finances I would take the A4 2.0 TDI PREMIUM any day over F30 Base. F30 is an brand new exciting machine but as you have rightly pointed out the base version is not very well equipped for the money being shelled out. It is unfair to compare the X1 with A4 or 320D. It all depends on how comfortable you are with your finances. If you have abundant cash at your disposal you should not even be going down to X1. If money is a factor and you are looking for a premium car then just drive out with an X1. A friend of mine owns an 1 year C220 Avantgarde well maintained and I would not be paying any more than 23 for that car. Why pay 30 Lakhs for a second hand car ?? I might be wrong but hey thats just my opinion.
BoeingDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 14:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barua View Post

Audi on the other hand a ready. Finance offer. at 7.22% for 7 years and low down payment of 4.8lacs. ( Or take 1.5lac cash discount and take a loan from your favorite bank). BMWis still working to give a finance proposal to match.

30?
What is the EMI coming to ?

BMW's BSI is unmatched and it assures complete peace of mind.
Old 16th September 2012, 14:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

What is the EMI coming to ?

BMW's BSI is unmatched and it assures complete peace of mind.
Emi from Audi is 46k for 7 years.

Bsi ultimate is completely ultimate !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver
friend of mine owns an 1 year C220 Avantgarde well maintained and I would not be paying any more than 23 for that car. Why pay 30 Lakhs for a second hand car ?? .
23 seems too good for 1 year old car, which sells for about 40lac onroad Mumbai ! And if it then it 's a case to go for preowned, if first year depreciation is so high.

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th September 2012 at 19:32. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 16th September 2012, 19:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barua
Am once again in a dilemma , this time between 320d F30 base verses the A4 2.0 TDI premium.

Priced similarly at 36 lac and 37.45 lac respectively onroad Mumbai but packaged differently.

The 3 base version doesn't have the features set , which I believe should be standard for a car of this category, which A4 has a less exciting engine.
I'd go with the 320D any day. The Audi has a lousy engine (140 BHP) mated with a slow CVT gearbox - and in many ways is not materially better than even a Jetta as a driver's car. The 320 D is yards ahead of the A4 when you drive it, and the F30 also has decent rear seat room which used to be the Audi's only advantage. Yes, the Luxury and Sport lack a sunroof and rear camera (I presume that is what you are considering) - but at least in my view, those are not must haves, and the smaller iDrive screen is not a deal breaker.

Further, the F30 will hold its value much better than the current A4 - with the Q3 having been launched with a 170 HP engine with DSG, that would likely make it's way to the A4 as well sooner or later, which should crush resale values for the current A4. If you want the perks and can afford it, consider the Luxury Plus - Rs. 5 lakhs extra OTR is just Rs. 10,000 per month more on the kind of long term financing you are considering.

Edit - Oops sorry, just saw you are comparing the F30 Base. I agree with others, you need to plonk the cash (39.5 l OTR Bombay including Secure) to get to at least the Luxury except if you are just a fanatic driver.certainly feel Rs. 2 l over the Audi (or even Rs. 3.5 l net of the financing clawback) is worth it.

Last edited by Hayek : 16th September 2012 at 19:24.
Hayek is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 19:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hayek has summed it up well. Buy the F30 if you are going to drive it. If back seat comfort is your prime requirement then the F30 doesn't score too well on that front. I have not been in the Audi A4, but you could sit in the rear bench and check it out.

For an A x B comparison on performance, the BMW will run circles around the Audi.
Old 16th September 2012, 23:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW 320d (F30) vs Audi A4

If you are self driving the car then the 320d should be the obvious choice, & with the launch of the F30 the back seat comfort / space has increased so now for the chauffeur driven the F30 is a thumbs up too.

And prefer buying the 'latest launch' will help in conserving the shelf life / resale .
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 23:58   #8
BHPian

I was stuck in the exact same dilemma as you were. In the course of this one torturous month I realised that petrol "performance/fun to drive" luxury sedans in India is a bit of an oxymoron in the price range I was looking at. I didn't want to stretch myself to the 35L OTR Gurgaon and get myself a new F30 but at the same time the base one was not half as exciting. For starters the alloys IMHO look pretty bad, the lack of LED Rings/projectors just did not feel right, good quality leather as well as lack of sunroof was another (maybe irrational) problem i had with it. The last but not the least of the deal breakers was the lack of the HiFi music system.

On the other hand, the Audi had the best interiors without doubt and in my opinion looked as good if not better. But the driving experience was pretty ordinary. I didn't feel it warranted 30+L OTR. Anyway after taking a lot of advice from all the experts over here I ended up picking the least probable option. The fully loaded and highly discounted E90 Exclusive Edition with BMW Secure for approximately 20-25% of the sticker price. Would prefer disclosing the amount only when the transfer/deal has been sealed which should hopefully be by the end of the month.

But if you are a 100% certain that it is between these two models then if its self driven I would go with the base 320d and if it was not then the A4.
saketa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 08:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

You would soon get bored of the A4 but everyday that you would take the Beemer out, it would result in a good facial exercise from ear to ear. But the questions remains where would you enjoy the drive on Indian roads and for how many days in a year. X1's are available sub 20L for a limited period and could save you the moolah and still get you the Beemer legacy. So the question is heart or the mind.

I for one would have gone for the new 3, eyes closed...
Old 17th September 2012, 09:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
320d ? A4 ? X1 ? Or go for a 1 year old C class Cdi avante garde trim at sub 30?
X1 with a mid-life facelift is already out in some markets. Maybe BMW is waiting to clear the current stock before launching it in India. And you may have better discounts on the current X1.

As a few mentioned above, go for the A4 for its interiors and backseat. Otherwise, I don't see much going for the A4 in its current state. If badge value is not important, the VW Jetta highline actually have a better engine/gearbox combination.

As an alternate option, why not check out the Volvo S60 D3/D5?
Old 17th September 2012, 21:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
X1's are available sub 20L for a limited period and could save you the moolah and still get you the Beemer legacy. So the question is heart or the mind.

I for one would have gone for the new 3, eyes closed...
X1 Sub 20L is in Mumbai too?? I saw an ad scan in teambhp about the petrol version offered in Delhi. Worth a thought?
Old 17th September 2012, 21:23   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
X1 Sub 20L is in Mumbai too?? I saw an ad scan in teambhp about the petrol version offered in Delhi. Worth a thought?
One of todays papers had an ad for the X1 at 21.xx ex showroom. Possibly its the petrol they're giving at this price, but then the diesel too would have a good discount.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 21:39   #13
BHPian

Thanks , got it. . . 21.7 lac for the x1 20d in Mumbai , onroad should be around 24lac odd ! http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...wMode=HTML</a>
Old 17th September 2012, 23:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks , got it. . . 21.7 lac for the x1 20d in Mumbai , onroad should be around 24lac odd ! http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...wMode=HTML</a>
The 3er if you love driving, Audi if you wanna get pampered in luxury. If you compare em in terms of drivability, the A4 comes nowhere near to the 320d. Even lower segment cars like the Chevy Cruze is faster and more fun to drive, IMHO. However, if the X1 has gone so cheap, I'd say consider the top of the line variant. It offers the best of both the worlds. It also comes with a large panoramic sunroof which is a plus point too. Good Luck!

PS: I was offered the Exclusive Edition 320d E90 LCI for around 29 OTR Thane by Navnit Motors few days back. PM me if you're interested in that.

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 17th September 2012 at 23:29. Reason: PS
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 23:24   #15
BHPian

Base F30 is not a bad option since it is relatively quite cheap and more affordable. The goodies would push you towards the luxury and sport but weigh out how much you are in love with them. You always have the badge and the lovely power plant for your driving pleasure!

If the E90's are still available, consider. As some are suggesting, see the X1 too. Remember, it is your money and your interest in considering an expensive vehicle. Options will always be there.

And btw, Forget shelf life. Don't complicate the equation more

If you like the F30 shape, buy the base or stretch it to a sport or luxury if you can. Else, consider the E90 purely for saving a lot of money or to get a lot more content for the same money & a piece of bangle legacy. At least the motors are the same rascal type and you'll not stop smiling. X1 is not for everyone. You'll simply like it or hate it.

Finally, you'll drive it..so you decide. Pics and delivery report when it happens pleasee!

PS - I just saw the edit by Adisingh. 29OTR is a killer deal. IMHO, you should give it a very serious thought and probably grab it.

pEaCe

Last edited by AirbusA340 : 17th September 2012 at 23:35. Reason: Avoiding a successive quote after their edit
AirbusA340 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed