Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 14:39   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 320d (F30) vs Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post
Over time, it has come down to just 3. Most times, i am the only one in the car.
Just go for the 3 series then, make some adjustments in your driving style and you're good to go! Prior to the X1, my daily drive was a Safari VX. Didn't have to bother about road conditions or the vehicles around me - that part had to change when I migrated to the X1

However, two years later, while I don't "make my own road", I do make my own way through the traffic and have got over the initial bouts of over-cautiousness.
Old 26th August 2013, 14:48   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hey, Would you care to share your route? I commute to Jigani to work on a daily basis and the granite tycs here regularly show up in the 320D, A4, Jags etc...it may be manageable. On routes which our Innova takes with aplomb, we have to be careful with our Laura (not saying the Laura mannerisms are anything like the 3, just that it may be possible)

Also, have you considered keeping your Innova by parking it on the road outside your house, building or at the office?
My drive is from near Silk Board to Whitefield area. May not be as bad as your route, but when you take some of the short-cuts (e.g.: there is one road via a railway gate) there are really bad stretches.

I have seen people driving expensive cars on bad stretches, but I always assumed they have so much money that they dont care

to your other question about parking my innova outside - I haven't thought about it. But space outside the building is not much, and usually overcrowded, so it may not be a good option. But I will still see if that would be possible.
Old 26th August 2013, 15:41   #93
BHPian

Quote:
My drive is from near Silk Board to Whitefield area. May not be as bad as your route, but when you take some of the short-cuts (e.g.: there is one road via a railway gate) there are really bad stretches.

I have seen people driving expensive cars on bad stretches, but I always assumed they have so much money that they dont care

to your other question about parking my innova outside - I haven't thought about it. But space outside the building is not much, and usually overcrowded, so it may not be a good option. But I will still see if that would be possible.

Okay as far as your requirements for space, the 3 series should sort you out, shouldn't be a problem.

How much longer is your commute without the short-cuts? If you can avoid the bad stretches, then that is one solution. If not, then why don't you test drive the car on the exact route you use so that you have a better idea if it can be managed or not?

I suppose there are people who don't care how badly their cars get abused, but honestly, I feel unless a car is lowered or it is a super car, it ought to be able to handle most of our rough roads as long as it is handled with care. I wouldn't be chauffeured on my commute in a Laura or any other sedan (unless it was a Swift Dzire) on my route. I have never had a problem in any self driven car, including a friends 1st gen Civic. If your heart is set on a 3 series just go for it! If you are still apprehensive about bad roads, may I suggest the new Octavia? It may not have the same drive experience or snob value but as long as the boffins have stuck to their genes, it will have excellent build quality, the materials and cabin will make you feel welcome and the drive will be pretty good as well.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 16:12   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks all for your inputs. I did consider X1 (in fact the reason I visited the BMW dealership was to look at X1. But I felt that the base model of X1 leaves out many features such as iDrive. And the next version (Sportline?) is beyond the budget that I am eligible for (as per company lease).
Did they offer any discounts? Because its not really selling, so I'm sure you can manage a couple of lacs off which may make it a viable option for you. The X1 Sportsline is what I'm talking about.

To be honest, rather than the base 320D, I would get a Passat.

But do find out what discounts you are getting.
Old 26th August 2013, 16:27   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Did they offer any discounts? Because its not really selling, so I'm sure you can manage a couple of lacs off which may make it a viable option for you. The X1 Sportsline is what I'm talking about.

To be honest, rather than the base 320D, I would get a Passat.

But do find out what discounts you are getting.
I did not press much for discounts. I will try. Regarding Passat - strangely, I have no fascination towards any other sedans other than the BMW - the looks, badge, snob value or a combination of all this - I really dont know. If not BMW, I am going to settle with a Fortuner or even put off the buying decision and lug around the Innova for some more time.
Old 26th August 2013, 16:57   #96
Senior - BHPian

GS300 , a regular joe (?) ,buying a BMW . I find it strange ,people asking what route you take ,so that we can suggest the BMW . what if he changes jobs , home , city ? . Is he restricted to only that route ? :P

If you can , go ahead and buy a BMW and change it to good set of tubeless along with a spare Tyre . And then drive it like you stole it , since company pays for service .
Old 26th August 2013, 17:25   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post

I find it strange ,people asking what route you take ,so that we can suggest the BMW . what if he changes jobs , home , city ? . Is he restricted to only that route ? :P

If you can , go ahead and buy a BMW and change it to good set of tubeless along with a spare Tyre . And then drive it like you stole it , since company pays for service .

The OP was concerned about the drive as his current commute involves bad roads. A lot of things could happen, but that is the route that as of now will see most traffic.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 18:05   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

For Bangalore roads, having the 3 series as your only car and daily driver is not a good idea. The roads are going from bad to worse and nobody has any patience these days.

I love my Laura TSI. In the initial days of owning the car I would jump for the keys of the Laura everytime I had some work in the city. But now I hardly drive it in the city. The thought of some BMTC bus driver, or unruly cab or auto driver brushing into to me really gets to me. I've been driving an i10 AT for the past 1 and a bit years to work. Its my beater car. Its compact + its an AT. Its relieved a lot of my driving stress. THe GC is good, so I don't have to worry about bad roads and since its small I don't have worry about parking in tight spots either. I have reserved the Laura for outstation trips (work + leisure). THis way I enjoy the Laura even more, since I am mostly driving it after a bit of a gap.

I suggest you go for your dream car. But also get a beater, preferably a used small hatch (preferably AT) for your daily commute. No point in driving the 3 in Bangalore's horrendous traffic. You know the number of speed bumps in our city. THe guys at the back will drive you nuts when you're taking them real slow in your 3. I am quicker in my i10 than my Laura in the city. If you wanna own a big german car, you need a beater, it can't be your only car. Park the beater on the road, you need not worry, it a beater after all.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 26th August 2013 at 18:20.
Old 26th August 2013, 19:02   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
GS300 , a regular joe (?) ,buying a BMW . I find it strange ,people asking what route you take ,so that we can suggest the BMW . what if he changes jobs , home , city ? . Is he restricted to only that route ? :P

My driving route is in a way relevant. My employer encourages leasing expensive cars to sr.mgmt to 'hand-cuff' them. If I quit my job, the financial impact would be significant. So, if I go for this, I pretty much sign-up to work there for next 3+ years.
Old 27th August 2013, 05:56   #100
BHPian

Quote:

I did not press much for discounts. I will try. Regarding Passat - strangely, I have no fascination towards any other sedans other than the BMW - the looks, badge, snob value or a combination of all this - I really dont know. If not BMW, I am going to settle with a Fortuner or even put off the buying decision and lug around the Innova for some more time.
Go for the Beemer. You might just get an awesome deal on the sports/luxury line if u bargain hard enough.

As someone has rightly pointed out, the only reason not to go for the BMW would be if you regularly seat 5 people in the car. If it ain't that, you're good to go !

Your employer is paying for the maintenance of the car so I don't understand what the confusion is
It's a no brainer to me.
Old 29th August 2013, 15:59   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
The car would be bought around Diwali only and kinda can't pre-pone and most probably the Sport Plus won't be available by then... Any clue on how the discount scene would be during Diwali or a few weeks after that ? And my X1 has the BSI as I'm not planning to mod it but getting the same on the 320d would be crazy as half the things would be upgraded it won't really be worth it as the things covered would decrease with each new mod I make.
Any word on the German front Adi?

Quote:
My driving route is in a way relevant. My employer encourages leasing expensive cars to sr.mgmt to 'hand-cuff' them. If I quit my job, the financial impact would be significant. So, if I go for this, I pretty much sign-up to work there for next 3+ years.

Hows the decision making process coming along GS? Did you have a chance to take a TD on our lovely roads?
Old 29th August 2013, 19:09   #102
BHPian

Hi all,

This is my first post on this awesome forum. I have been following this forum for a long time and I have to say, it has influenced my decision to buy the BMW 320d. Am getting the delivery tomorrow.

For all who are planning to buy the 3 series, here is the deal I got in NCR for a 2012 baseline model. After negotiating for a month with the two dealers, I got a discount of Rs. 4.75 lakhs and a Space saver. If you need specific details, please feel free to message me.

After going through various posts, I had initially decided to switch to tubeless tyres as soon as I got the car. But apparently, now all BMWs come with a standard secure policy by default. As per the brochure, this includes:

1. Tyres: Replacement of up to 4 tyres within a benefit period. Benefit period will be 1 year from the date of retail sale of the vehicle.
2. Alloy Wheel Rims: Replacement of up to 4 alloys within a benefit period. Benefit period will be 1 year from the date of retail sale of the vehicle.
3. Hydrostatic Lock: Coverage of repair costs caused by a hydrostatic lock within the benefit period. Benefit period will be 1 year from the date of retail sale of the vehicle.
4. Roadside Assistance: Coverage for a period of 2 years from the date of retail sale of the vehicle.

I thought this was awesome and have decided to stay with Run flats in the first year.

I may not be taking the BSI packages as I hardly drive over 400 Kms a month.

My sales experience was really good. The salesman was very cooperative and helpful. They were a little taken aback by my negotiations but were polite and helpful at all stages. Am happy to recommend this person to anyone who is looking to buy a Bimmer in NCR.

More on the car once I get it. Thanks.
Old 29th August 2013, 21:13   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hows the decision making process coming along GS? Did you have a chance to take a TD on our lovely roads?
Thanks for asking. In the last few days, while I drive via my usual route, I have always been evaluating whether I will be able to able to confidently drive a 3-series over those roads. The more I drive like that, the less confident I feel. Even when my employer is taking care of the maintenance, I will not be able to drive the car on those stretches.

That reduces my options - if i am insistent on BMW - to X1. Like someone had suggested, I will talk to the dealership again and see if they can do something to bring down the X1 sportline price within my budget.

Meanwhile there are suggestions from friends to consider Q3 as well.
GS300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 22:21   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysm View Post
Hi all,

More on the car once I get it. Thanks.
Wow congratulations... you were able to get a cracker of a deal. I have been patiently waiting for my car to be delivered to me since last 3 weeks but Imperial Blue seems to be out of stock currently; so waiting still.
Who did you purchase it from and what is the cost of the space saver - I may want to get one too.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:27   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for asking. In the last few days, while I drive via my usual route, I have always been evaluating whether I will be able to able to confidently drive a 3-series over those roads. The more I drive like that, the less confident I feel. Even when my employer is taking care of the maintenance, I will not be able to drive the car on those stretches.

That reduces my options - if i am insistent on BMW - to X1. Like someone had suggested, I will talk to the dealership again and see if they can do something to bring down the X1 sportline price within my budget.

Meanwhile there are suggestions from friends to consider Q3 as well.
The biggest problem with A4 is that you will definitely wonder: "hmmm.. did I just pay more for a VW?" That is even before you delve into the details like drivetrain. It is an OK choice if you get a good price that is around mid of Passat and BMW. My sense is that no one buys Audi 2.0 TDI (all variants) unless they get a steep discount.

Three things I don't like about BMWs in general: low GC, lack of spare and slightly-jerky start-stop in crawling traffic. At the same time it is very satisfying to drive them and have a far superior drivetrain. They are edgy/sporty/fun cars and not a great choice for crawling between home and office everyday. Not a fan of X1 as it is not a very well put-together car inside out.

Owning any expensive car in Bangalore is a pain. I don't mean the financial aspect. GC may offer some protection, but you still have to deal with crazy traffic, narrow lanes, falling trees, guilty-by-default-in-accidents and so on. So if you wish to drive an expensive car with "peace of mind like driving a battered Sumo" it is not going to happen.

Either don't buy any expensive car or embrace the headache and buy what you like the most.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks