Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2012, 18:02   #1
BHPian

Audi Q3 or BMW 320d?

It's been almost an year since I bought my last car (Santa Fe 4WD MT). In between I have sold my Superb 2.0TDI. The new car itch has started and there is no sedan in the house after Superb.

After some research and going through this forum, I have narrowed my choice to 320d or Q3. This time I really want a compact yet reasonably spacious car that can be used more or less on everyday basis. It would be self driven 50% of the time. I am inclined a bit for Q3 due to its practical nature (higher GC, compact size) - however other folks in the home are more inclined for 320d as it seems a bit more spacious yet compact enough and is a *sedan*.

Good thing is now we have both BMW and Audi in my city (LKO) so it feels good that I wouldn't have to go all the way to Delhi as was the case in the past. Kindly suggest which would be better. My preferences are;

1. Compact exteriors with spacious interiors
2. Comfortable ride
3. Ability to handle the atrocious roads that we have here
4. Reasonable performance and driving pleasure
5. High quality interiors

On 320d, I particularly liked Sportline Trim with red leather but wonder whether the attraction would wean off quickly (Like rich food tastes good but you cannot live on it day in day out - one prefers a simpler home cooked food for long term - if you understand what I mean).

Anyway I'm planning to buy around Diwali so any guidance would be appreciated. In particular I'm concerned whether 320d can handle bad roads and wouldn't scrap its belly.

Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 18:30   #2
BHPian

re: Audi Q3 or BMW 320d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
My preferences are;

2. Comfortable ride

On 320d, I particularly liked Sportline Trim with red leather but wonder whether the attraction would wean off quickly (Like rich food tastes good but you cannot live on it day in day out - one prefers a simpler home cooked food for long term - if you understand what I mean).

Thanks
The recently launched F30 offers ample interior space, something about 2mm more than A4, and is much better than Q3 as well. And the Sportline trim you're considering, some words from my side:-

Go For It! If you have the cash, don't think of anything else. Looks match the performance on tap

The BMW is the ultimate driving machine and considering that you would drive it mostly yourselves, Sport 328i would bring a smile on your face and believe me, it takes only approx. 6 seconds for it to reach the ton mark. I have driven one and was feeling as if I own a sports car!

But even Q3 isn't bad. If you want a mixture of relaxing drive with ability to tame some rough tarmac, then you very well may go for it. However, don't forget one thing that at the end of the day, it is shorter than a Honda City, so legroom and comfort may be at premium. If you have a family which would be with you in car most of the time, then they might not be very happy with Q3 as it doesn't even have arm rest!

Whether you're driving solo or with family, BMW makes most sense here and you are purchasing Sports trim, believe me you'll never regret your decision. Overall, It's the best combination of price and performance this side of 50 lakhs. Q3 may some lakhs cheaper, but the investment you'll make in 328i is worth it! Or if you don't want the petrol, consider the base diesel variant of 3-series. I think it is on par with top variant Q3 AWD.
Now, It's your decision. Do you think with your head or heart?

I hope I am able to help you to some extent!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Last edited by S@ndy : 29th September 2012 at 18:56.
S@ndy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 18:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's been almost an year since I bought my last car (Santa Fe 4WD MT). In between I have sold my Superb 2.0TDI. The new car itch has started and there is no sedan in the house after Superb.

After some research and going through this forum, I have narrowed my choice to 320d or Q3. This time I really want a compact yet reasonably spacious car that can be used more or less on everyday basis. It would be self driven 50% of the time. I am inclined a bit for Q3 due to its practical nature (higher GC, compact size) - however other folks in the home are more inclined for 320d as it seems a bit more spacious yet compact enough and is a *sedan*.

Good thing is now we have both BMW and Audi in my city (LKO) so it feels good that I wouldn't have to go all the way to Delhi as was the case in the past. Kindly suggest which would be better. My preferences are;

2. Comfortable ride

Anyway I'm planning to buy around Diwali so any guidance would be appreciated. In particular I'm concerned whether 320d can handle bad roads and wouldn't scrap its belly.

Thanks

Entropy , i wont go into too much of detail. We'v had lots of discussions about your Q7 4.2 TDi.( please tell me thats still there)
That apart you also have a Santa Fe.
You have 2 SUVs and 1 of them is the Audi flagship SUV then why not tick on both the criteria that you currently do NOT have ? ..i.e a sedan and a BMW.
The Q3 is a perfectly fine ,chuckable little thing but you have an Audi and you have 2 SUVs. Good reason to go for a BMW sedan me thinks.
(have a few more things to ask you about chip express. Will PM you )

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 29th September 2012 at 18:42.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 19:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Entropy if you have people sitting in the back seat ever the 3 is going to be better than the Q3. The ride in the new 3 is phenomenal, in some ways better than the C class too.

The Sportsline 320D is missing some features like the hifi sound system, sunroof, larger idrive screen among others. The Luxury+ has all of those but then that does not look as good as the sportsline. Another big + for the sportsline are those seats, they are fabulous.

The Q3 is more compact and has more clearance, but like Platzda said, you already have an Audi. Now try a BMW and enjoy the RWD experience.

P.S the 3 inspite of its low clearance does not scrape, and its very composed over rough roads too.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 20:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

The biggest difference between the two is principally GC. Take a TD of the 3 series and see how the GC works in your town. If it is an issue, go for the Q3. You do not want to dread driving your car. I have a cousin who virtually refuses to take his Opel corsa out in Coorg due to the low GC and bad roads.

Of the two the 3 series is definitely better on the highway.

To be honest, I fail to understand the whole "sedan is status" thing, but to each his own.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 09:45   #6
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
The biggest difference between the two is principally GC. Take a TD of the 3 series and see how the GC works in your town.
To be honest, I fail to understand the whole "sedan is status" thing, but to each his own.
Yes I intend to do that in coming days. From the test drive reports I gather that though F30 GC is 140 mm it doesn't scraps too easily. However only a test drive on my "model" roads would confirm that.

About the status thing - Yes, I also don't quite get it but that's the way it is in India. Even the guy at BMW showroom was explaining how a sedan would be better than a SUV like Q7 to arrive at parties etc ;-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Entropy if you have people sitting in the back seat ever the 3 is going to be better than the Q3. The ride in the new 3 is phenomenal, in some ways better than the C class too.

The Sportsline 320D is missing some features like the hifi sound system, sunroof, larger idrive screen among others. The Luxury+ has all of those but then that does not look as good as the sportsline. Another big + for the sportsline are those seats, they are fabulous.

The Q3 is more compact and has more clearance, but like Platzda said, you already have an Audi. Now try a BMW and enjoy the RWD experience.

P.S the 3 inspite of its low clearance does not scrape, and its very composed over rough roads too.
Thanks akshay1234 for confirming all the right points.

I would have to experience the ride quality myself on a test drive I'm planning sometime next week but in general have heard/read all positives about it. I'm not keen on Luxury+ basically as it does not seems to be VFM (for me). It would be 320d either in Luxury or Sportsline trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Entropy , i wont go into too much of detail. We'v had lots of discussions about your Q7 4.2 TDi.( please tell me thats still there)
That apart you also have a Santa Fe.
You have 2 SUVs and 1 of them is the Audi flagship SUV then why not tick on both the criteria that you currently do NOT have ? ..i.e a sedan and a BMW.
The Q3 is a perfectly fine ,chuckable little thing but you have an Audi and you have 2 SUVs. Good reason to go for a BMW sedan me thinks.
(have a few more things to ask you about chip express. Will PM you )
Thanks PlatzdaTurbo. Yes I still have 4.2TDI and enjoying every bit of it's torque though there seems to some suspension and horn related problems. Anyway overall quite satisfied with it though it's huge size is what is prompting me to go in for a compact car this time. (Even Superb was a bit too big for mostly city use). May dispose it off next year once Porsche Cayenne V8 diesel is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
The BMW is the ultimate driving machine and considering that you would drive it mostly yourselves, Sport 328i would bring a smile on your face and believe me, it takes only approx. 6 seconds for it to reach the ton mark. I have driven one and was feeling as if I own a sports car!

But even Q3 isn't bad. If you want a mixture of relaxing drive with ability to tame some rough tarmac, then you very well may go for it. However, don't forget one thing that at the end of the day, it is shorter than a Honda City, so legroom and comfort may be at premium. If you have a family which would be with you in car most of the time, then they might not be very happy with Q3 as it doesn't even have arm rest!

Whether you're driving solo or with family, BMW makes most sense here and you are purchasing Sports trim, believe me you'll never regret your decision. Overall, It's the best combination of price and performance this side of 50 lakhs. Q3 may some lakhs cheaper, but the investment you'll make in 328i is worth it! Or if you don't want the petrol, consider the base diesel variant of 3-series. I think it is on par with top variant Q3 AWD.
Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Yes S@ndy. Thanks for the exhaustive reply. I'd go for the diesel variant for the sole reason of initial cost and resale value (as very likely I'm not going to keep the car for more than 3 years at max). Also I'm not very much a car guy (as a driver) and enjoy cars more as objects of curiosity and the overall experience they provide.

So it seems the consensus is for F30 and very likely then that's what it is going to be as family also wants it (Nobody is very keen on Q3 except me). Anyway will test drive both and report once the booking is done.

Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2012 at 13:49. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 14th February 2013, 12:24   #7
BHPian

Re: Audi Q3 or BMW 320d?

After lots of lethargy finally booked Q3 high grade today as it seemed far more comfortable and practical to use on a day to day basis (I'm not much of a driver anyway). The great roads that I have here did not make it easy for 3 series (The car scrapped umpteen times during the test drive).

Got a discount of about 1.8L from the current ex-showroom. Thanks everyone for their input but it seems deep down I have developed an affinity for Audi :-)
entropy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 13:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After lots of lethargy finally booked Q3 high grade today as it seemed far more comfortable and practical to use on a day to day basis (I'm not much of a driver anyway). The great roads that I have here did not make it easy for 3 series (The car scrapped umpteen times during the test drive).

Got a discount of about 1.8L from the current ex-showroom. Thanks everyone for their input but it seems deep down I have developed an affinity for Audi :-)
Congrats ! Do check out this thread if you haven't already http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-37-lakhs.html
Old 14th February 2013, 15:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Congrats ! Do check out this thread if you haven't already http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-37-lakhs.html
Thanks @Sahil. Yes saw the news yesterday but atrocious resale value of german petrols kept me away from it. I see very few extra units of Q3 petrol moving in the future. Though kudos to Audi to have courage to bring this onboard.
Old 15th February 2013, 19:34   #10

Congratulations on your booking @entropy, I drive a 2 year old 320d and totally agree on the pain everytime the car goes into a pot hole. I am also planning to upgrade to Q3, please let us know after the delivery and initial usage.

All the best.
Old 21st February 2013, 14:33   #11
BHPian

Congratulations entropy. Please do share your ownership experience as I too am looking at the Q3 but there aren't any ownership threads on it apart from the official review. So please do share your experience as and when you have an opportunity. Congratulations once again. Happy driving.
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 03:35   #12
BHPian

Oh congrats - but I recently took TDs of 320d as well as Q3, and while i found Q3 to be reasonably peppy, the reat-seats are absolutely cramped! Actually since I was looking for something more powerful, none of them ticked the boxes for me, and I didn't want something with a bling, so decided to maintain a low profile, and took the s80 route...

So, if you've taken it solely for driving it alone, then that's a fantastic decision, because the 320d , and most of the other sedans in the segment literally hit the pot-holes hard (but that's luckily not the case with my s80, and I'm very happy about it!).

On a side-note, if you still have the Q7, you gotta' be a die-hard Audi fanatic to have another one, that too another SUV? A6 business edition may have been another good choice though, but anyway nice one!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks