Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2006, 15:00   #1
BHPian

How much for 2002 Mondeo Petrol ?

Hi

How much should i pay for a 2002 Mondeo Petrol which has run around 70K and i would be the third owner and has a third party ins. The car is in good condition and is in Bangalore.
Old 27th April 2006, 16:07   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I dont know if this helps, but I saw some great 2002 Mondeos a while back in Bombay going for 6.xx lacs. They were much lower mileage though (30000ish)

GTO
Old 27th April 2006, 16:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

sounds juicy to me. But If I a m not wrong I had seen 3 year old mondeos in 2004 going for 7lacs. SHouldnt the price be more like 5.0?
Old 27th April 2006, 20:37   #4
BHPian

Dont pay more than 4.3L to 4.5 L for that car considering it is a 2 owner car.

I recently saw a dec 01 model (58K kms) where the seller was quoting 5.1L and settled for 4.8L.

Please get a 120 point check from a ford showroom as most mondeos i know of have faced a truck load of problems.
Old 27th April 2006, 22:55   #5
BANNED

@tabrez02 :- buddy it all depends upon the condition of the car.yes,ownership numbers do matter while buying a pre-owned car,but again,that wont affect the price much......the main things which matter are

1) the PAINT on the metalic parts.....check if the paint is still genuine,and there arn`t many scratches.

2) the ENGINE,check if everything under the hood is fine,u might not be able to check that by urself,so i wud suggest u to take the car to any of the authorised FORD DEALERs to get it checked(if the owner allows u to do that)

and third ,check the car frm underneath once,just to make sure that the car didn`t run over any road divider or anything.

the third point might sound weird but belive me i myself`ve had a bad experience with this..i bought a 2000 1.5 ohc bout 1 1/2 years bakk,there were lil vibrations in the car at the time i purchsed it.the local mechanic told me that its just coz of the front mounting.so i thought that i`ll get it fixed after buying the car.and after buying the car i took it to autopsyche`s workshop(his dads actually,in karol bagh),and there i was told that the car had met an accident earlier,which damaged the front BEAM only.and that front beam alone costed me arnd 14000 from RINGROAD HONDA

so just be careful....coz mine ws just the OHC......what ur buying is a MONDEO.....and spares cost a BOMB for that

BTW 2002 yr MONDEO should fall between 5.75 lacs to 6.00** lacs....depending upon the condition...

**thats the current price for a 2002yr well maintained mondeo here in new delhi....

PS :i have a 2003,black,genuine paint,petrol mondeo lying with a customer for sale.......delhi registeration,price 6.5 lacs...pm if interested

and another car for sale lying with a customer,accord v6,black again 2005 yr....done 2900 kms only.....expected price is 14.25 lacs....

cheerz !!!

Last edited by twister : 27th April 2006 at 22:57.
Old 27th April 2006, 23:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

Mondeo spares cost a bomb, esp the older ones. Thats the reason for low resale. The price should not be more than 2L. While my cousin was scouting for cars he looked at second hand skoda's and mondeos. We came across 2002 models going for 5L(done 50K and it was 2005 then). But due to the high cost of spares he bought a new scorpio instead.
Old 28th April 2006, 01:12   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Mondeo spares cost a bomb, esp the older ones. Thats the reason for low resale. The price should not be more than 2L.
you're kidding about the 2L figure right?

manson.
Old 28th April 2006, 01:52   #8
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Old 28th April 2006, 10:35   #9
BHPian

Mondeos here in delhi are available for 4.9-6lacs,with 40-50k on the odo,most of them are well maintained & scratchless.Also,check out other cars like the Accord/Vectra/octavia/corolla.Buy one with low mileage.

Last edited by dhirajs : 28th April 2006 at 10:40.
Old 28th April 2006, 16:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

ford cars especially mondeo are very expensive to maintain,so buying one from open market is a risky job,but if you want to buy it get the car checked from a ford dealer for accident damage,suspension,steering,HVAC and engine compression.
Old 28th April 2006, 16:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
ford cars especially mondeo are very expensive to maintain,so buying one from open market is a risky job,but if you want to buy it get the car checked from a ford dealer for accident damage,suspension,steering,HVAC and engine compression.
I agree. Fuel Injectors and Suspension components are the most common issues along with miscellaneous electricals like the seats, power windows and power mirrors. Let me give you something to think about - a person who's spent nearly 18 lakhs on a vehicle must have a very good reason for getting rid of it dirt cheap. Most people would prefer to live with high maintenance costs to avoid a large capital loss on the sale - if they prefer the capital loss then it would mean that potential maintenance costs are higher than the 10-odd lakhs of capital loss.

Think twice.

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th April 2006 at 16:58.
Old 28th April 2006, 17:09   #12
Team-BHP Support

Sort off. You wont get the mondeo for 2L, but considering the high cost of spares I think that should be the cost!
There is another advice which I give to people who go for second hand cars. I tell them. "Dont buy the second hand car, if the new car of the same model is more than twice your budget".
A person speding 14L on a car can afford to pay for the service and spares, (eg skoda), but a person who can spend only 5L on a car cannot afford to maintain a 14L car. I can buy a BMW for 4L today(very very old done 200000 miles) but I cant afford to maintain it since its a 20L car and will ask for that much money.
Old 28th April 2006, 20:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02
Hi

How much should i pay for a 2002 Mondeo Petrol which has run around 70K and i would be the third owner and has a third party ins. The car is in good condition and is in Bangalore.
tabrez considering that you will be the third owner of the car & the car has clocked 70K the petrol mondeo should not cost you more than 6lacs. Since, my bro's using a mondeo i must say its an awesome car with great speed, handling & comfort levels. But yes the spares cost a lot. Its front right door costs more than the price of a S-class's front door. So think twice before going for a used mondeo. Since its gonna be a 2002 model do check its CD Player. Because the cd players fitted by the company are facing problems. But till now we are not facing any kind of problems with the car. The car is running realy smooth. The servicing costs a lot.

Anyways, nice choice.
Old 29th April 2006, 09:31   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is another advice which I give to people who go for second hand cars. I tell them. "Dont buy the second hand car, if the new car of the same model is more than twice your budget".
A person speding 14L on a car can afford to pay for the service and spares, (eg skoda), but a person who can spend only 5L on a car cannot afford to maintain a 14L car.
Excellent point TSK. I recently checked out some W124s and saw the cleanest pieces available. However, all of them required work in the region of 2 lacs. That done, the annual maintainence tab was about a lac.

GTO
Old 29th April 2006, 10:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Oh, a Mondeo sounds so tasty for such a relatively low price of 6 lakhs!!!

But, as tsk and GTO have mentioned, it will cost a bomb to maintain and run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks