Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 10:49   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Too good to be true? Pre-owned BMW 530i @ 20L

Let me say that if you plan to use car occassionally, no qualms about resale and can get a good deal, the 530i has a lot going for it The diesel although more awesome to drive will have issues with fuel injectors and turbos later on in life since the engine is relatively more stressed due to the high pressure injection units etc.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:49   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy
A friend of mine bought a repossessed 2010 530d with 30K on the clock for around 22L so I have to say that 20 sounds high for a 5 year old petrol car. I must admit my friend got a good deal but modern petrol prices have decimated resale values.
Which model was it?
The current F10 or the older e60?
Either way, that is a cracker of a deal.
Old 19th October 2012, 11:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Typically it involves hacking the electronics to reset the odo reading. its a computer with flash memory and nobody has yet invented car computers with security strong enough to keep the hackers out.

The manufacturers claim that their systems keep records of all services and thus can verify the service history and thus the miles. I thought that could be trusted till I saw an S350 at a mercedes dealer, showing 22,000km run in 7 years, with the general condition of the car and interior wear and tear indicating that it was a very well used car. But the dealer insisted that the miles were genuine and that their service history file for the car backs that up.

I can't explain it but i walked away.
Hi Harbir,

Even though such a scenario is rare, it is possible to come across a less driven premium car. My father has picked up a 2003 S350 which had done only 23000 kms in 2010. The car was in excellent condition and the tyres were also manufactured in 2003. We got the entire service history validated and also got the car checked at Autohanger Mumbai. Since the car was in the name of a well-known company we were pretty comfortable taking the plunge. Since 2010 the car has only been driven for 6000 kms.
Old 19th October 2012, 11:32   #34
BHPian

When I said "very well used car", I didn't mean that it has been treated well, but rather that it was heavily used, much more than KM indicated.

NO doubt genuine km reading cars exist, but most cars with low readings are fraud by my experience looking at a huge array of vehicles last year.
Old 19th October 2012, 11:42   #35
Team-BHP Support

Well I would buy a genuine 50000 km well maintained car as opposed to a questionalbe 20000km car
Old 19th October 2012, 12:54   #36
BHPian

Typically fraudster are smart enough to roll back to believable figure. ALL of the 55-75k km cars I drove last year and this year showed use that didn't agree with the odometers.
Old 21st October 2012, 10:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

If the car has complete service history from Authorized service centers, then the genuineness can be ascertained to a certain level.
Old 21st October 2012, 10:26   #38
BHPian

Somebody determined to have a false record can do it easily. Just have a meter fixing shop reset the odo before the car goes in for service so that the service records always reflect an erroneous value. Is it happening? I would have ruled it out but for that S350 I saw at a mercedes dealer, with claimed official mercedes service records verifying the odo readings, but the car showing about 10 times the amount of wear and tear that the Odo would have you believe.

How or why it happened, but now my inclination is to believe that in India, if fraud is possible, it is most likely.

There is a big meter fixing shop half a km from my place. Its notionally for repair, but their main business is resetting odos. The driver of a neighbor told me he had the odo in his car reset for Rs200 from that shop.

Last edited by Harbir : 21st October 2012 at 10:28.
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Which model was it?
The current F10 or the older e60?
Either way, that is a cracker of a deal.
Actually don't know. Didn't look at the car very much, but think it might be the older model, but either way a really good deal

Assuming this car might have been valued at 25 to 30 lakhs, have to say the petrol Beemer at 20L actually sounds a bit expensive
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:25   #40
BHPian

Hey Guys

Thanks for the inputs, looking at some of the other deals and experiences, people have shared, this seems a lot better. It is at the authorized dealer so I think that is a little more reliable than the general road side used car shop but then you never know.

The guy from the dealership called yesterday and asked what is going on. I told him that ball is in his court and he needs to get back to me, to which he said okay. So let us see. Fingers crossed.

in the meantime, I am exploring other options as well. I think on the whole this deal is not bad but like I said earlier, I am kinda scared of the maintenance costs associated with these German brands.

Before this I was exploring XUV seriously and since then test drove it again and decided I am not really fond of that interior. I know most of the guys here are quite okay with the quality but I am not. This doesn't give you a feel of 15L. The car looks million bucks from out side but well, if I think about it, I am to sit inside and that matters more as compared to exterior for me.

I also test drove Cruze, hated it. Checked out Elantra and have mixed feelings. On top of that the local Hyundai dealer is a top notch jerk so I am quite hesitant on that.

So far things are getting confusing with each day. Let us see what happens!

BTW, off topic but what do you guys think should be fair price of my SX4 in used car market. It is 2007 Oct. Model with 48K in odo. No accidents, insurance valid for one year. Petrol, ZXi.
Old 25th August 2014, 13:17   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Let me say that if you plan to use car occassionally, no qualms about resale and can get a good deal, the 530i has a lot going for it The diesel although more awesome to drive will have issues with fuel injectors and turbos later on in life since the engine is relatively more stressed due to the high pressure injection units etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angad_kalra View Post
Hi Harbir,

Even though such a scenario is rare, it is possible to come across a less driven premium car. My father has picked up a 2003 S350 which had done only 23000 kms in 2010....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Typically fraudster are smart enough to roll back to believable figure. ALL of the 55-75k km cars I drove last year and this year showed use that didn't agree with the odometers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maheepgupta View Post
Hey Guys

Thanks for the inputs, looking at some of the other deals and experiences, people have shared, this seems a lot better. It is at the authorized dealer so I think that is a little more reliable than the general road side used car shop but then you never know.
Dear Maheep,

Pls update the final conclusion to your confusion.

Dear All,

I am in the market looking for used Bimmers and have come across the below 3 cars. Pls review and suggest which you think is a good buy.

1) 320D Highline - 2010 - 80,000 kms done, car is in OK condition, need minor work like broken ORVM cover, inner sun shade plastic inserts and scratches all over the body. Single owner and service history checks out the mileage and maintenance. As per BMW service center, no major work was done on this car till date and all services done regularly. Asking for 13.50 Lakhs

2) 325i Highline, Manufactured 12/2007 as per VIN, As per RC in 5/2008 but registered in 2009, 19,500 kms done, genuine mileage, checks out as per service records, tyre tread wear, interior wear and tear. Immaculate condition and well maintained. No work pending. Only grouse is the old iDrive and no USB / Aux inputs. Asking for 13.25 Lakhs.

3) 530i Highline, 12/2007 Manufactured (as per VIN) 2008 registered, 47000 kms run, full service history available, mileage checks out, car in very good condition, single owner (but Owner 2 on RC due to transfer from husband to wife after expiry, all documents showing this available). For me, the only issue with this car is the mileage (4 -5 approx?). Asking for 13 Lakhs.

All the above cars are not under BSI but all have valid insurance till 2015. The prices given above are the ones negotiated and final quotes. Pls do suggest on what you think is the best deal out of the three. I am aware of the service costs and what I need to consider in the next one year. Any suggestions are welcome. I am looking to finalize the car by tomorrow latest.
Old 25th August 2014, 14:55   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post

2) 325i Highline, Manufactured 12/2007 as per VIN, As per RC in 5/2008 but registered in 2009, 19,500 kms done, genuine mileage, checks out as per service records, tyre tread wear, interior wear and tear. Immaculate condition and well maintained. No work pending. Only grouse is the old iDrive and no USB / Aux inputs. Asking for 13.25 Lakhs.

3) 530i Highline, 12/2007 Manufactured (as per VIN) 2008 registered, 47000 kms run, full service history available, mileage checks out, car in very good condition, single owner (but Owner 2 on RC due to transfer from husband to wife after expiry, all documents showing this available). For me, the only issue with this car is the mileage (4 -5 approx?). Asking for 13 Lakhs.
I will opt for either of the above cars and personally would go for the 5 maybe due to the higher segment it belongs to. Otherwise the low lieage on the 325i makes a very strong case for it too since the expected expenditure on servicing will be much lower. Do update with your final decision.
Old 25th August 2014, 15:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I will opt for either of the above cars and personally would go for the 5 maybe due to the higher segment it belongs to. Otherwise the low lieage on the 325i makes a very strong case for it too since the expected expenditure on servicing will be much lower. Do update with your final decision.

Thank you for the swift response. I am currently leaning towards the 325i because of the lesser running costs and maintenance expenses in the future. Does the price seem within the ball park. In fact as per latest negotiation, I might get the 325i at 12.5 lakhs.
Old 25th August 2014, 17:21   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the swift response. I am currently leaning towards the 325i because of the lesser running costs and maintenance expenses in the future. Does the price seem within the ball park. In fact as per latest negotiation, I might get the 325i at 12.5 lakhs.
The price seems fine to me. There are so few of these cars sold so that it is difficult to apply the standard principles of depreciation on these cars. However I will be more than happy to pick it up for the said price specially due to the less number of kms on the car.
Old 26th August 2014, 17:56   #45
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
I would say 325i, as i owned one of the few 325i's sold back in the day and this car is just great. It may not have many latest tech features et all, but drives and handles superbly. Go with this option, according to the mileage one can hope that no major issues are faced in the near future.
Also, check if the major 5 year/90,000km service had been carried out or not. If this service has not been carried out then this could cost you a lot. Negotiate the price a little more as I sold mine 3 years ago for similar price (in Delhi, though it had done 75k).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks