Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car around 25-27L should I choose?
Audi A4 TFSI 19 33.33%
Skoda Superb DSG Diesel 21 36.84%
Mercedes C Class Elegance Petrol 10 17.54%
Toyota Camry 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2012, 12:27   #1
BANNED

Entry to the holy Trinity (or whatever 25L gives)

Hi guys,

It's been two months and what started as an innocuous search for our next family car; has now turned into a desperate search - well - for a replacement of our current family car. If the time clock could be wound back; would like to give you a very short introduction.

We love German! Period..!

Currently we own all VWs uptill Passat (barring the bug!); but now looking to let go of our very beautifully aged Jetta. We got her when it was just launched, and still turns head from the unassuming (thanks to our driver bhaiyya for taking such good care; and also to VW who failed to market a perfectly competent car)

So it is time i thought to push dad to buy himself some much deserved luxury; and really can't go past the fact that in India entry into the holy trinity has become more affordable than ever before. But then in came the news of price hikes across the automotive spectrum - hence what started as a lazy effort of picking and choosing a statement; has turned into a frantic look-out for the best we can get. Dad, in his usual demeanor, remains unperturbed.

So cutting to the chase, i am going to list down some of the governing points that might assist in our in-house pundits to put me out of my misery. They are as follows:

1. The ex-showroom for the car CANNOT be more than 25-27 Lacs. 'Nuf said. This is a constraint that i am working with; and really kills me to see so many options being curtailed because of this.

2. The car will be driven by driver bhaiyya, dad or mom in the back seat ~ 85% of the times. The rest 15% will be with yours truly testing driving skills. Point being, the car needs to be a comfortable back-seater (if not a luxo-barge)

3. Dad doesn't like cars where you need to have spare ladder in the boot. Thanks to his age and taste, he has drifted away from being seen struggling to get into his own car. I respect that (making a mental note that Fortuner is out of reckoning)

4. Mom wants a sunroof! Don't know what purpose it serves in Mumbai; but it's important enough to come at No.4

That's it infact. Really short on wants and time.

With this i leave this topic and floor open to discussion. I really hope to make this decision (or atleast be helped to) by the end of this month. Eagerly looking forward to some really intuitive feedback from you guys.

...refreshing page...

... refreshing page...
Old 12th December 2012, 12:43   #2
NMS
BHPian

Re: Entry to the holy Trinity (or whatever 25L gives)

Hey Cupid,
Nice dilemma to be in !!
Have you considered a Skoda Superb? That should be a very good buy indeed in the given price range.
It also pretty much takes care of the first 4 points.
Old 12th December 2012, 12:57   #3
BANNED

Thanks NMS. Yes, was very much in contention until I get reminded of the Skoda horror stories everytime I get lured towards one.

Moreover wouldn't be too different than the Passat. The reason one buys a BMW, Merc or Audi is for a different (& some what hypocritical reason). It is very -not getting the word- for a bourgeoisie
Old 12th December 2012, 13:00   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
1. The ex-showroom for the car CANNOT be more than 25-27 Lacs.
Superb Elegance diesel DSG.

Quote:
2. Point being, the car needs to be a comfortable back-seater (if not a luxo-barge)

Quote:
3. Dad doesn't like cars where you need to have spare ladder in the boot.

Quote:
4. Mom wants a sunroof! Don't know what purpose it serves in Mumbai; but it's important enough to come at No.4
Superb Elegance diesel DSG...hey, that is a hat trick..!!

Jokes apart, you requirements seem to be tailor made for the Superb. Call Skoda for a test drive, all of you will come out impressed.

One point, make that three in fact.

1. Do NOT touch the 7 speed DSGs.
2. Take the Skoda Shield for 4 years.
3. Remember to bargain hard.
Old 12th December 2012, 13:05   #5
BHPian

Hi

Have you considered the New MB B class. It has a pretty good road presence. Ingress/egress would also be easy, since you do not have to bend much to be seated.

The entry level A4 is another option, although a little too common

Regards
Old 12th December 2012, 13:10   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So basically, a comfortable chauffeur-driven car for ~27 lakhs ex-showroom.

From the Germans (which you clearly have a liking for), it's between the Skoda Superb & the C Class / 3 Series. For sheer comfort & space, the Superb blows the more expensive, prestigious Germans away. It's got awesome kit onboard too. Skoda's service in Mumbai is shaky, though JMD has decent reviews (avoid the Choksi outlets like a plague). Choose the petrol + MT or Diesel + DSG (more reliable than the petrol + DSG).

The C Class has heavy discounts and should fit in the region of your budget. A relative recently bought a diesel for 3.5 lakhs discount, thus bargain hard. It's a very comfortable & refined car. Rear space is limited though and you cannot even compare cabin room to the likes of the Superb.

The 3 Series was just launched and hence, discounts won't be as generous as on the C Class. However, you should still consider it and cheaper "Corporate Edition" variants aren't too far away. The 3 has awesome ride quality and a decent backseat too. It's fun to drive and gets 5 year all-inclusive service packages. Trust me, with a European car, you need all the coverage you can get.

Japanese & Korean cars have come a long way. No longer are they flimsy, especially the 20 lakh products. You might want to consider the Nissan Teana (I find it more comfortable than even the Skoda Superb), Honda Accord (old & on its way out) and the Hyundai Sonata (everything works for it except the badge).

Happy Hunting
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 13:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Currently we own all VWs

1. The ex-showroom for the car CANNOT be more than 25-27 Lacs. 'Nuf said. This is a constraint that i am working with; and really kills me to see so many options being curtailed because of this.

2. The car will be driven by driver bhaiyya, dad or mom in the back seat ~ 85% of the times. The rest 15% will be with yours truly testing driving skills. Point being, the car needs to be a comfortable back-seater (if not a luxo-barge)

... refreshing page...
Quote:
Thanks NMS. Yes, was very much in contention until I get reminded of the Skoda horror stories everytime I get lured towards one.

Moreover wouldn't be too different than the Passat. The reason one buys a BMW, Merc or Audi is for a different (& some what hypocritical reason). It is very -not getting the word- for a bourgeoisie
You want a car that is primarily comfortable for rear seat passengers. Skoda horror stories have been blown way out of proportion. Yes, they did have a problem, and yes they have treated some of our members rather unfairly. But, there are a slew of very satisfied customers as well. They also do offer 4 year warranties on their cars. The Superb has only one problem when considering the diesel (the petrol auto is another ball game), it does not have effective rear cooling. There is a new Superb coming out next year. There will also be a new A4, sporting a lighter body, better engines and better transmission. All this will lead to huge price discounts on existing models.

BUT

The 3/A/C only make sense as self driven vehicles. For the chauffeur driven crowd who do not need three abreast seating in the rear, the Superb is what makes most sense. Do not get entangled in public perception of cars, but buy the best machine that makes the most sense for your requirements. Afterall, would you want your parents to be driven around uncomfortably in the rear seat and have people say wow Mr X has bought a Mercedes or would you want your parents to travel in comfort and have people say Mr X has got a Skoda? I would rather be driven in a Superb than a 3 series, but then again, I'd rather drive a 3 series than a Superb, if I could get over the lack of a manual that is.
imp! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 13:31   #8
BHPian

I will suggest you go for the B Class, This car also came up in our contention list, our needs were of course different to yours so the B class was passed on, but Boy O Boy was it a nice vehicle.

Going by the price constraint you have put the B sports is out as it comes to 29 OTR Delhi, so higher in Mumbai. The non sports version does not have the Panaromic Roof so that's Point No 4 gone.

It's in Petrol, so don't know how that affects you but it has decent mileage.

Now what really was amazing in the car was the space, even with your Driver, you can very comfortable seat 3 in the back with loads of leg room.

Honestly dude, do try the B, it's the latest in Merc Technology, it has oodles of space, looks big as well and its German.
Old 12th December 2012, 14:45   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The X1 also fits your budget.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 14:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

Do you have a Passat already? If so then the Superb maybe too alike.

It's a great option and one that fulfills all 4 of your requirements.

If you get the C class you will lose out on rear seat comfort.

Basically if you get any car from the holy trinity below 30lakhs, driver bhaiya will be a happy guy but the same can't be said about the saheb and memsaheb's at the back.

If your open to SUV's and non-german's take a look at the Rexton or the Santa Fe. The Santa Fe has 201 horses under the hood. The Santa Fe is also not a high SUV so it's fairly easy to get in and out of even for elders.
Old 12th December 2012, 15:07   #11
BHPian

Oh, the Superb Elegance DSG without a doubt my friend. Eyes closed. Both you and driver bhaiyya will immensely enjoy the driving experience on offer. Your folks will truly appreciate the luxury when chauffeured around town. This guy has some serious kit! And admittedly though not technically German, it is as German at heart as it gets!

Trust me, the C Class or the 3 will give you nowhere near cabin/rear bench space that the Skoda offers.

Next in line: the 3 series. However it may seriously test the limits of your budget. Although you could wait for the cheaper CE edition which is in the immediate pipeline.

Ergo, to sum up for the Superb:

1. The ex-showroom for the car CANNOT be more than 25-27 Lacs. Check!

2. The car will be driven by driver bhaiyya, dad or mom in the back seat ~ 85% of the times. The rest 15% will be with yours truly testing driving skills. Point being, the car needs to be a comfortable back-seater (if not a luxo-barge) All check!

3. Dad doesn't like cars where you need to have spare ladder in the boot. Check!

4. Mom wants a sunroof! Don't know what purpose it serves in Mumbai; but it's important enough to come at No.4. And check!!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 12th December 2012 at 15:09.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 15:24   #12
BHPian

I went to BMW show-room some days back.
The X1 CE is 27L OTR (I'm not sure what is the price here)
Yes, the CE doesn't have a sun-roof. However the variant above has it.

Or, the Superb/Teana scores most of your requirements.

How about a used BMW 5 series, or A4?
mikon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 15:30   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend bought the x1 for 23.5 recently. The CE one. Discounts on all variants.
Old 12th December 2012, 15:45   #14
BHPian

Hi, i would echo most members thoughts here and consider the Superb Diesel/Petrol AT. It certainly takes care of your 4 primary needs. if not this and you dont mind veering towards the Toyota Camry 2012 or the new Sonata.
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 16:10   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
Hi, i would echo most members thoughts here and consider the Superb Diesel/Petrol AT. It certainly takes care of your 4 primary needs. if not this and you dont mind veering towards the Toyota Camry 2012 or the new Sonata.
Yeah camry is nice to be driven around.

But no sunroof if i remember correctly.

Check Navin's thread (his requirements are like yours):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html

And official review:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks