Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 18:25   #1
cap

Mercedes-Benz ML250 or Audi Q5

Hi BHPians,

I am planning to buy a new car in the price range of 45-55 lacs.

I started with shortlisting the options from the bmw 5 series towards volvo xc 60, freelander and then moved towards the big 3. I dont like the X3 much so I am left with only two options ml 250 or the 2.0 ltr audi Q 5.
My avg monthly running is about 2000 km which is mostly in the city with a occassional 1000 km odd highway trip every 6 months.
i am also a bit worried about the maintainence and resale value parts as i currently own a fortuner which is quite cheap to maintain and gives a very good resale. i also like to change my cars every 3-4 years.

so considering all the above facts i would like to have a clear cut advice from this forum about which car to go for. The Merc 250 or the Audi Q 5 ?

Last edited by aah78 : 5th April 2013 at 03:42. Reason: Title edited. Please follow proper naming convention in thread titles. It helps if performing a Search. Thanks!
Old 4th April 2013, 20:38   #2
BHPian

re: Mercedes-Benz ML250 or Audi Q5

I would vote for the ML 250 simply because it looks a whole segment up than the Q5 2.0. Not sure of the power figures here but i am guessing the ML 250 to have better figures. I also believe the ML 250 is the pricier one here, however it should still fall within the budget you have quoted. However if you can stretch that budget a little you may be able to squeeze in the base Q7 which should be quite something to buy.

For both service and resale, I would not expect either to be as good as a Toyota.

Hope this helps

Last edited by miharbe : 4th April 2013 at 20:40.
miharbe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 20:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi cap,

ML 250 should be your choice

The ML simply looks better, feels more premium is a fresh product so will have longer life & better resale in the long run too.

You can refer to the following threads having similar query;

1) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...udi-q5-v6.html

2) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...olvo-xc60.html
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 00:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

Between the Q5 2.0 and the Ml250 it has to be the ML. The Audi is not superior in any regard. Had it been the 3.0tdi Q5 it may have been a better option in some ways. But close your eyes and go for the ML. Do take Mercs service package along with extended warranty. The newer Mercs are supposed to be reliable but you can never be too careful.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 09:52   #5
cap

Re: Mercedes-Benz ML250 or Audi Q5

Thanks a lot to all for your opinions.

Thanks Miharbe for the Q 7 suggestion but i guess the budget gets a bit too stretched and i might not need the additional space/ seats.

I am planning to go for an extensive road test for the ML 250 and ML 350 in a day or two. I read some other similar discussions on this forum and found that ML 250 doesnt have the seat memory function along with some other differences. Now the seat memory may seem to be a very small function but for me who mostly self drives but has a chauffer on some days it gets a bit annoying to regain the exact driving position.
I wonder how much Merc would have saved by cutting this cost. I certainly expected this to be a standard feature in this segment.
Are there any such other details to be considered before finalising as it might become a very irritating issue later on ??
Old 5th April 2013, 23:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

ML250 eyes closed. ML takes it a level higher than Q5. Q5 matches X3 and GLK. But if ML is in picture, it has to be it. If you need power, get the ML350, if not, ML250 will do just fine. Q5 will be replaced with a new version soon while ML is the newest and the greatest from Mercedes recently. You won't be disappointed. Also, drive both extensively - atleast 50kms so you have a better hang of it. If Mercedes has a maintenance package, do get it for the peace of mind. While ML looks class IMHO.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 16:02   #7
BHPian

The ML is the new kid on the block, and more exclusive and better looking IMHO. I was in the same predicament a few months back. I ended up buying the Q5 because at a similar price I was offered the 3.0 V6 Audi, which was more important to me than getting a larger ML with the 2.0L engine . Also, I drive this myself therefore find a crossover the size of the Q5 perfect for the city and the odd highway trip.

If you can push your budget to the ML 350, as you mentioned you would be test driving it, its really a no brainer, you should get the ML.
Old 12th May 2013, 00:46   #8
BHPian

Like most of em said above, my pick would be the ML too! The best looking SUV in the 55L segment. Even though Merc has localized it's production. the quality isn't compromised. No brainer if put against the Q5. All the best!
Old 12th May 2013, 09:56   #9
BHPian

Against the Q5, I would also go for the ML 250, the car is a class above the Q5 and one of the best looking SUVs on the market.
Also, Audis are now very common in India, but one rarely sees MLs, so it gives you some exclusivity as well.
nipcarlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 13:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Against the Q5, I would also go for the ML 250, the car is a class above the Q5 and one of the best looking SUVs on the market.
Also, Audis are now very common in India, but one rarely sees MLs, so it gives you some exclusivity as well.
The reason you don't see as many ML's is due to its limited production. There is a waiting on the car. It's too good a package to not do well, I see most 5 series and E class segment buyers converting to the ML.
This is also one of the reasons why the 5 series is so heavily discounted, at sticker price the ML250CDi will steal most of the 5ers sales. Infact it has even stolen sales from the q7 not just the q5
Old 12th May 2013, 14:40   #11
Team-BHP Support

Since resale is priority and you'd want to get rid of it in 3-4 years, I'd strongly advise you to consider the possibility of leasing your car. You could lease the ML250 now and 3 years down the line, you could switch to a Q5 without worrying too much about depreciation.

Have a look at this ARTICLE for more information on this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...etter-you.html
Old 26th January 2016, 00:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Guy's need some help in deciding between the 2015 ML 250 and 2016 GLE 250. There is a 3 Lakh discount on the ML 250 while no discounts for the GLE 250. The 2016 GLE 250 is 7 Lakhs more expensive compared to the 2015 ML 250.

My question, is it wise to go for the GLE as the 7 Lakhs extra that's spent now can be recouped at the time of selling which would be 4-5 years since the ML 250 already being a whole model year down will loose a few more Lakh's in depreciation ?
Old 26th January 2016, 05:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 2016 GLE 250 is 7 Lakhs more expensive compared to the 2015 ML 250.
Does this include the discount on ML as well ? newer appears more sporty from front and should have better interiors , if you have to keep vehicle for 3-4 Years better buy newer one , every time you will sit in the older one , you might feel taking a wrong decision specially if difference is too small like about 10 % , go with the newer one.

I will also suggest you to check X5 as well , 6 cylinder BMW engine is absolutely gem and this car really handles well.

Have a look at this

https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/Merced...omparison-1852
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 12:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Does this include the discount on ML as well ? newer appears more sporty from front and should have better interiors , if you have to keep vehicle for 3-4 Years better buy newer one , every time you will sit in the older one , you might feel taking a wrong decision specially if difference is too small like about 10 % , go with the newer one.

I will also suggest you to check X5 as well , 6 cylinder BMW engine is absolutely gem and this car really handles well.

Have a look at this
Thanks Turbanator. The 7 Lakhs difference was after the 3 Lakh discount on the ML.

Some of the nicer things that the new GLE has compared to the M are

1) Nice 3 spoke steering wheel.

2) All LED front headlights , nicer and sleeker looking rear LED tail lights.

3) 9 speed gearbox, better fuel economy.

Also things I still don't know about the GLE

1) Does it have the touch pad in the center like in International variants ?

2) The GLE has attached LCD screen which I hated in the A class. Is it still the same here with low resolution and lot of lag ? Also I'm not sure if they have reduced the screen's real estate in the Indian versions.

Yes that's what I thought too. 7 Lakhs is not such a huge difference especially when you're getting a 2015 model and slightly inferior interior and exteriors. This all means more depreciation.

Me thinks if the difference was more than 10 Lakhs probably then we could consider the ML.

BMW is just too sporty and considering the car will be driven >90% by our chauffeur, we have excluded it and other sporty and powerful variants from other brands as well.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 26th January 2016 at 12:39. Reason: Added point 3 for nice things
Old 26th January 2016, 12:29   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BMW is just too sporty and considering the car will be driven >90% by our chauffeur,
We recently bought one in Canada for my brother , most of time I sit in rear and am surprised by overall comfort this newer one offers . Will advice you to have a longish test drive , also check out new Q7 - this might be most expensive of lot but looks fresh.

Most Viewed