Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 01:01   #46
VSD
BHPian

Test drove this RS5 today morning, worked well on the road.
Asking was 80, which I feel is too high for a two year old car. I know it only has 1.6k on the odo but I still feel its on the higher side.
I think 65 should be good as I will have to spend more on transferring registration to my city.
Old 1st June 2013, 15:45   #47
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for a premium daily drive car

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
Any other options i should give a try too?
R8 is your best bet! Among other options there is a 2010 Vantage N420 Roadster & 2010 Maserati GranTurismo for sale on PCH AutoWorld fb page - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

Btw, these guys have also put out an ad for a one month old 2013 LP 560-4!
Old 1st June 2013, 17:28   #48
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Any other options i should give a try too?
You seem to be flattered by the R8. Look no where else. Buy it.

Else, you also have the option of the M3 and XFR. May be a pre-owned XKR too in that budget. I don't know about their performance on bad roads but those who know may pour their opinions.
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:01   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
I think they had two at the time, one in a maroonish shade and one in black. I had seen both, but if I'm not wrong the black was sold shortly afterwards (but I could be wrong!). If it is one of these cars, I'd suggest you don't go for it, as they have been used for some very odd reason, I remember the black one had upwards of 4k. The interiors too, look dated.

Are they offering you 1.2 On-Road? For the same price I'd personally take that R8 you are being offered.
Buddy I think he was talking used R8 for 1.2cr.

@VSD - Sportscars can never be a daily drive. Can you imagine taking out your R8 every single day to office fighting through traffic & praying someone doesn't nick it while still stuck in traffic?
Or would you be comfortable parking it on the road in broad day light while you are sitting upstairs with a bank manager sipping coffee while your heart is worrying about the safety of the car?

Plus the attention is very embarrassing. Specially in day time.

If I was looking for a daily drive i would definitely go for the RS5. It has power, looks & subtlety at the same time. Plus it has 4 seats for practicality. Or the jag XFR

All the best!

Last edited by Dante : 3rd June 2013 at 12:03.
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:21   #50
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post

Buddy I think he was talking used R8 for 1.2cr.

@VSD - Sportscars can never be a daily drive. Can you imagine taking out your R8 every single day to office fighting through traffic & praying someone doesn't nick it while still stuck in traffic?
Or would you be comfortable parking it on the road in broad day light while you are sitting upstairs with a bank manager sipping coffee while your heart is worrying about the safety of the car?

Plus the attention is very embarrassing. Specially in day time.

If I was looking for a daily drive i would definitely go for the RS5. It has power, looks & subtlety at the same time. Plus it has 4 seats for practicality. Or the jag XFR

All the best!

I agree with the R8 being slightly unusable daily, as for the office its just 900mtrs away so no traffic, but my only worry is being able to park it market places or malls without a worry. Or i get a couple of body guards to follow me around everywhere, which i personally dont need or want.

I only got down to looking at the RS5 for this very reason too. Will most probably this ir the new F-type.
I am in talks with the jaguar people as i need the car by september but they are saying october end. Prices can't be disclosed yet as i have been asked to keep it confidential
Old 4th June 2013, 12:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with the R8 being slightly unusable daily, as for the office its just 900mtrs away so no traffic, but my only worry is being able to park it market places or malls without a worry. Or i get a couple of body guards to follow me around everywhere, which i personally dont need or want.

I only got down to looking at the RS5 for this very reason too. Will most probably this ir the new F-type.
I am in talks with the jaguar people as i need the car by september but they are saying october end. Prices can't be disclosed yet as i have been asked to keep it confidential
The approximate pricing was recently disclosed on TV. Are you looking at the V6S or V8 ? In all practicality the V6 S is more than enough and is also a better handler than the V8 but then who looks at practicality in a 2 door convertible ?
Good luck
Old 4th June 2013, 14:34   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If your office is only 900 metres away I suggest you buy the r8 and use it everywhere but office. In 900 metres your engine isn't going to warm up, and everyday usage like that isn't good for the engine. So take another car to office and keep your sports car for other use.

The rs5 is obviously the most useable and practical, but lacks the attention of the r8. The r8 v10 in Mumbai is a pretty good deal I think, and there is another red rs5 done 7k Kms which you can probably get for 50. Sahil was telling me a while ago that it was in good condition.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 09:43   #53
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Q7 or GL

OK this seems to be an appropriate place to post this.

A Friend cum Senior Colleague is on the verge of deciding between the Merc GL and the Audi Q7. Any views on that?

1) Reliability - Another Senior Colleague cum Mentor bought a GL basis my recommendation over the S class (which he already had the previous version of). It has proved very unreliable. Is it true of all units or was his just a one off? Also the satnav on that (earlier GL model) never worked in India, does it work now? Q7 Satnav?
2) They require 7 seats - Any other premium segment options other than Q7 and GL available in India.
3) Specific Engine variant to be considered? - They would pile up a lot of kms on their vehicle so a diesel would be preferred. It will be mostly chauffer driven so a large engine is not required.
4) They do have an Innova currently besides other vehicles, but I jut hope the Innova does not turn out to be more comfortable for the passengers. Ride comfort is required.
5) Which of the two would be more comfortable for the occupants?
6) When can the new (next) Q7 and GL be expected.

Last edited by ACM : 5th June 2013 at 09:46.
Old 5th June 2013, 10:03   #54
Team-BHP Support

Re: Q7 or GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
OK this seems to be an appropriate place to post this.

A Friend cum Senior Colleague is on the verge of deciding between the Merc GL and the Audi Q7. Any views on that?

1) Reliability - Another Senior Colleague cum Mentor bought a GL basis my recommendation over the S class (which he already had the previous version of). It has proved very unreliable. Is it true of all units or was his just a one off? Also the satnav on that (earlier GL model) never worked in India, does it work now? Q7 Satnav?
2) They require 7 seats - Any other premium segment options other than Q7 and GL available in India.
3) Specific Engine variant to be considered? - They would pile up a lot of kms on their vehicle so a diesel would be preferred. It will be mostly chauffer driven so a large engine is not required.
4) They do have an Innova currently besides other vehicles, but I jut hope the Innova does not turn out to be more comfortable for the passengers. Ride comfort is required.
5) Which of the two would be more comfortable for the occupants?
6) When can the new (next) Q7 and GL be expected.
Hey acm, the new gl350 cdi was just launched at 78l ex showroom or so. It looks great and seems to be a big step up in terms of quality from the previous gen, as with most newer mercs today. Do check it out, I am sure it will be more reliable than the previous gen model. The q7 is a bit dated now, though it still looks intimidating. The interiors are not good compared to the new gl, and while the 3.0 is assembled here now and will be available at a good price, for me it's gotta be the gl.
Old 5th June 2013, 16:38   #55
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^
The options now have shifted to preowned versions of the same two vehicles. GL & Q7 from around 2011 time frame for mid 30's kind of money.

GL will probably be selected.
Old 5th June 2013, 16:50   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
^^
The options now have shifted to preowned versions of the same two vehicles. GL & Q7 from around 2011 time frame for mid 30's kind of money.

If comfort and reliability are priority the land cruiser will beat both hands down. Do look out for one with the v8 diesel. It does not have brand value but has immense road presence.
Old 6th June 2013, 02:47   #57
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

If your office is only 900 metres away I suggest you buy the r8 and use it everywhere but office. In 900 metres your engine isn't going to warm up, and everyday usage like that isn't good for the engine. So take another car to office and keep your sports car for other use.

The rs5 is obviously the most useable and practical, but lacks the attention of the r8. The r8 v10 in Mumbai is a pretty good deal I think, and there is another red rs5 done 7k Kms which you can probably get for 50. Sahil was telling me a while ago that it was in good condition.

The thing with R8 is that attention, i dont want that. The power and the fun factor with that high revving engine is the best part and thats what i want. People would say where would you use that power in india etc etc but it just gives you a smile, who wouldn't want that.

RS5 does give me that fun and the engine from an R8 into a practical and less attention grabbing body type, which is why i am going in for it. I have made a few calls and hope to finalise in a week or so. The red one you speak off is the one from pune right?

Quote:
^^

ACM you should go with the Q7, it's 4.2tdi engine is plenty powerful and it is also more reliable than the mercedes plus a bit cheaper to maintain compared to the GL. Though the last row seat is much better in the mercedes and is better equipped.

Last edited by VSD : 6th June 2013 at 02:50.
Old 6th June 2013, 08:37   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^

2011 Q7s going for 35L? Really? Thats quite some depreciation hit.
Old 6th June 2013, 09:20   #59
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
2011 Q7s going for 35L? Really? Thats quite some depreciation hit.
Actually it is the GL that is available in that price range. (right now in the high 30's but expected in the mid 30's if the deal concludes). Though in my view the Q7 should be lower (due to lower cost of purchase vs. the GL presently) but the ones out in the market (as per the dealer) are actually right now in the upper 40's.
Old 6th June 2013, 09:38   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Actually it is the GL that is available in that price range. (right now in the high 30's but expected in the mid 30's if the deal concludes). Though in my view the Q7 should be lower (due to lower cost of purchase vs. the GL presently) but the ones out in the market (as per the dealer) are actually right now in the upper 40's.
I reckon the Q7 will be more expensive. It's the most popular SUV in that category ( in any category actually) and hence could fetch a high resale price. Compared to a merc GL which is not so popular hence the poor resale. Same logic why an innova fetches a high resale value compared to any other car in the same category.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks