Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 23:34   #1
BHPian

Looking for a premium daily drive car

I've been using the Jaguar XF as my daily drive for the past two years now, but I'm passing it on to my mother, as her beloved Range Rover Vogue is leaving the family. I've had a lot of trouble with the Range, and its time for a change.

So I've been considering nearly everything across the spectrum, from a 6series coupe and CLS 350 to the Porsche Cayenne and Panamera. I was also thinking of an E350 coupe and SLK.

The criteria is simple, its going be driven daily for at least 30Kms, so I'm open to sports cars, but not on the extreme end like the R8 or 911 because on our roads they'll turn my spine into a slinky.

I'm really keen on the Cayenne and Panamera, no particular reason, I just like the brand. So i want you guys to rationalize my options.
Old 8th April 2013, 23:36   #2
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Looking for a premium daily drive car

How about a BMW Gran Coupe?

I have not driven the Gran Coupe or any of its competitors but the car looks stunning and since you are considering a 6-series coupe and a CLS350, the Gran Coupe might just hit the sweet spot.

The Jaguar XKR would also be worth a look, assuming that you are satisfied with the Jaguar brand. It is not as extreme as a 911 or a R8, but has its exclusivity factor (the XKR-S looks stunning in blue) and a powerful motor too.

My 2 cents.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 23:47   #3
BHPian

Since you are fascinated by Porsche, I would suggest the new Boxster.

Not much in terms of practicality, But it will definitely make up for that and then some by way of driving pleasure.
Rokztar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 00:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

You want a daily driver, and you don't seem overly keen on getting a sports car. You like Porsche as a brand.

I'd say go with the Cayenne. Comfortable, fairly practical and quite fun to drive. The second generation looks pretty sweet too! Additionally if/when you do want to sell it, me thinks selling a used SUV will be easier than a sports car in the Indian market. Should command decent resale value (relative, of course).
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 02:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks like You are still looking for a sports car that you were looking for here or have you?

In Which case why not the F10 M5? A True 4-Door Sports Sedan good for daily drive

Here is the Link for T-Bhp Review of the M5 BMW M5 : Driven

Between your Choices, I would go for Panamera as it is a Sports Sedan which in My opinion is better than a Sports SUV

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th April 2013 at 02:39.
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 14:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Daily drive ? Not too extreme ? Fun ? Like Porsche ?
Wait for the Cayman.
Drove the f10 M5 and quite frankly, wasnt exactly blown away.
Its good but nothing extraordinary.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 9th April 2013 at 14:05.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 15:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest you go in for the Panamera Diesel.

It should do the job of an daily drive very well & for long distance traveling is ideal too as other cars would require premium fuel for the best performance where as this sips the cheaper fuel.

Other practical option if you want a sports coupe is the BMW 640d

PS - How is your Jaguar XJ doing ?

Which you had purchased some time back according to this post;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ml#post2231091

Also how does it feel to have 2 CATS in your garage i.e. the XF & XJ ?

Last edited by karan561 : 9th April 2013 at 15:12.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 16:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
How about a BMW Gran Coupe?

I have not driven the Gran Coupe or any of its competitors but the car looks stunning and since you are considering a 6-series coupe and a CLS350, the Gran Coupe might just hit the sweet spot.

The Jaguar XKR would also be worth a look, assuming that you are satisfied with the Jaguar brand. It is not as extreme as a 911 or a R8, but has its exclusivity factor (the XKR-S looks stunning in blue) and a powerful motor too.

My 2 cents.
I considered the Gran Coupe, that's where the idea for a 6 series coupe stemmed from. I don't really "NEED" the back seats, and the Gran Coupe wouldn't be much different from the XF. The XKR is not really my cup of tea, not too fond of the looks, maybe I could wait for the F-Type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokztar View Post
Since you are fascinated by Porsche, I would suggest the new Boxster.

Not much in terms of practicality, But it will definitely make up for that and then some by way of driving pleasure.
I drove the new Boxster in London, it truly is devine to drive, but maybe not as a daily drive in Mumbai, the bus drivers and rickshaws will have a lot of fun pushing it around in traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Looks like You are still looking for a sports car that you were looking for here or have you?

In Which case why not the F10 M5? A True 4-Door Sports Sedan good for daily drive

Here is the Link for T-Bhp Review of the M5 BMW M5 : Driven

Between your Choices, I would go for Panamera as it is a Sports Sedan which in My opinion is better than a Sports SUV
The M5 is actually one of my favorites, I've wanted to get one for years now and now that its finally available I'm definitely going to give this a second look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Daily drive ? Not too extreme ? Fun ? Like Porsche ?
Wait for the Cayman.
Drove the f10 M5 and quite frankly, wasnt exactly blown away.
Its good but nothing extraordinary.
I know its launched globally, but any idea when it will make it to our shores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I suggest you go in for the Panamera Diesel.

It should do the job of an daily drive very well & for long distance traveling is ideal too as other cars would require premium fuel for the best performance where as this sips the cheaper fuel.

Other practical option if you want a sports coupe is the BMW 640d

PS - How is your Jaguar XJ doing ?

Which you had purchased some time back according to this post;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ml#post2231091

Also how does it feel to have 2 CATS in your garage i.e. the XF & XJ ?
Ahh, that XJ actually never made it home. Jaguar were having trouble getting me an XJ at that time, so we cancelled the order and went for an S500.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:02   #9
BHPian

Why not consider a Maserati?

SInce you don't "need" back seats why not go for the Maserati GranTurismo? it's beautiful, has very good ground clearance and I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying "this is the kind of super car you'd like to drive across countries in". It's supposed to be the most comfortable super car around with all the ingredients of a luxury saloon.

And of course it's the most insanely beautiful car around. And will stay that way for a long time I presume.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 18:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Why not consider a Maserati?

SInce you don't "need" back seats why not go for the Maserati GranTurismo? it's beautiful, has very good ground clearance and I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying "this is the kind of super car you'd like to drive across countries in". It's supposed to be the most comfortable super car around with all the ingredients of a luxury saloon.

And of course it's the most insanely beautiful car around. And will stay that way for a long time I presume.
I don't think there is an official Maserati dealer, is there?
Old 9th April 2013, 18:29   #11
BHPian

http://www.maguscars.com/maserati-india.html

This guy seems to be responsible many of the maseratis on the road In india.

No official dealership.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 19:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well, not a clue about official dealership. BUTTT, Ferrari New Delhi's official workshop in Sector 18 Gurgaon (Right next to Ring Road Honda Dealership) carries Ferrari + Maserati hoardings on the building top. No pics with me but judging by the look of the premises, I always thought they were officially dealing with Maserati as well.

You might wanna give them a shout and confirm.

n BTW, what a sweet position to be in. My pick among the options: the upper boys of Bavarian range, either a 640d OR an M5. Nothing matches the driving dynamics of a Beemer. Or tell u what, how about a Z4! Slight old in the tooth but Small, Good Looking, Frugal engine with 2 tiny turbos, daily driveable + its a Hard Top convertible (you know, for those romantic outings OR just to enjoy the wind in the hair).

We have a couple of ownership reviews on the forum itself. Check them out...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ip-report.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...er-bmw-z4.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ombay-goa.html

Keep us posted about your pick... All the best.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 23:20   #13
BHPian

Re: Looking for a premium daily drive car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
http://www.maguscars.com/maserati-india.html

This guy seems to be responsible many of the maseratis on the road In india.

No official dealership.
I'm aware of them, a couple of friends have dealt with them in the past (including the LOUD Quattroporte in Mumbai), and while they seem satisfied, I'd prefer having a car from an official dealer, for various reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Well, not a clue about official dealership. BUTTT, Ferrari New Delhi's official workshop in Sector 18 Gurgaon (Right next to Ring Road Honda Dealership) carries Ferrari + Maserati hoardings on the building top. No pics with me but judging by the look of the premises, I always thought they were officially dealing with Maserati as well.

You might wanna give them a shout and confirm.

n BTW, what a sweet position to be in. My pick among the options: the upper boys of Bavarian range, either a 640d OR an M5. Nothing matches the driving dynamics of a Beemer. Or tell u what, how about a Z4! Slight old in the tooth but Small, Good Looking, Frugal engine with 2 tiny turbos, daily driveable + its a Hard Top convertible (you know, for those romantic outings OR just to enjoy the wind in the hair).

We have a couple of ownership reviews on the forum itself. Check them out...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ip-report.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...er-bmw-z4.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ombay-goa.html

Keep us posted about your pick... All the best.
While I love the Z4, if I were to go for BMW, like you said I'd go for the M5 or the 650i Convertible. I just can't see myself driving a Z4. Haha.

Does anybody know if the new Mercedes SL has been launched in India? Their website still shows the previous gen model.
Old 10th April 2013, 08:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
I'm aware of them, a couple of friends have dealt with them in the past (including the LOUD Quattroporte in Mumbai), and while they seem satisfied, I'd prefer having a car from an official dealer, for various reasons.

While I love the Z4, if I were to go for BMW, like you said I'd go for the M5 or the 650i Convertible. I just can't see myself driving a Z4. Haha.

Does anybody know if the new Mercedes SL has been launched in India? Their website still shows the previous gen model.
Fair enough! I suggest Z4 mainly because being small in dimensions, it fits the bill of being a daily drive in maddening traffic of Bombay.

You also seem to be smitten by Petrol because you keep mentioning 650i, not 640d!

Then, my vote goes for an M5. ///M Powered 5 in Space Gray Metallic is a wolf in sheep's clothing!

Looking for a premium daily drive car-wbsfv9c52dd0954342s.jpg
Old 10th April 2013, 16:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Fair enough! I suggest Z4 mainly because being small in dimensions, it fits the bill of being a daily drive in maddening traffic of Bombay.

You also seem to be smitten by Petrol because you keep mentioning 650i, not 640d!

Then, my vote goes for an M5. ///M Powered 5 in Space Gray Metallic is a wolf in sheep's clothing!

Attachment 1071645
Yeah, I have no use for a diesel, we have an XF, S350cdi and 730Ld, in the family, but the S500 thrills the most with the huge V8, followed by the Jag.

The most practical sounding options to me right now are the 650i and the M5. How I wish there was a V8 CLS. I might look at the SL as well. If none of these, I'd most likely go for the Cayenne S.

Does anyone know when the new E/E-Coupe is going to be launched in India? I saw a new E220 yesterday in London, and it looks pretty awesome!

Most Viewed