Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 19:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Hot Hatch Wanted - 40 Lakh Budget. UPDATE: Mini Cooper S booked!

Import a Ford Focus RS/ST (depending on which country it comes from).

You wont be disappointed. One the best hot hatches EVER !

Golf Gti is an alternative but its similar to a Laura RS which will work out well from a parts/service standpoint.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 19:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

I know the request is for a Hot Hatch but I feel the Vauxhaul VXR8 would be a great buy. I dont think its beyond the budget either.Subaru Impreza WRX, Toyota GT 86 (Subaru BRZ) also comes to mind.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 20:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Mini Cooper countryman S as suggested by the experts over here. Would be in 40 lakhs.
I've been curious about that - Irrespective of the added weight affecting the power, how is the suspension and handling? Might TD the countryman too if the handling is similar to that of the S.

Quote:
What about a Nissan 350Z or 370Z - I m sure one can get a slightly used, pre-owned example for 40 lacs?
Would love to get a 370Z - had it for a night in Bombay and had to force myself out of the car. But, I'd have my heart in my mouth parking it at random spots daily.

Quote:
Check with BMW if they can import a 135 hatchback for you. That is my definition of a really hot hatch. A small RWD platform that is immensely balanced and capable and has a 300bhp/300 lb ft stonker of a straight 6 turbo engine. If you don't need the luxuries, just get a bare bones basic 135.
I didn't realise dealerships themselves would help you import. Has anyone done this? How easy/tough is it?

Quote:
Import a Ford Focus RS/ST (depending on which country it comes from). You wont be disappointed. One the best hot hatches EVER !
Quote:
I know the request is for a Hot Hatch but I feel the Vauxhaul VXR8 would be a great buy. I dont think its beyond the budget either.Subaru Impreza WRX, Toyota GT 86 (Subaru BRZ) also comes to mind.
Had looked at the Ford Focus, the Vauxhall and the Subarus. Just worried about the hassle of importing as well as servicing/maintenance and spare parts. Would those would have to be imported as well? Used to drive the Subaru Impreza when I lived in the US - beaut!

Did some number-crunching as well, just computing price, shipping, customs duties brings me up to 40L on imports - who knows how much clearing agents and other players charge - not to mention taxes in say the UK - as it would have to be right-hand drive right?

Have also heard that the CLA 45 AMG could come in next year. Any idea on how it is? Though ofcourse, it's a compact sedan rather than a hot hatch
Old 11th June 2013, 20:18   #19
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
Mercedes A Class [would have liked to have A45 AMG on offer though]
I would want to wait a max of 5-6 months by which time I want to be sitting in my new car.
If you are willing to wait then the A45 AMG would be my pick. Hormazd Sorabjee of Autocar mag had said a few weeks ago that its coming later this year!
Mini Cooper S is a safe bet too. Good Luck.
PPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 20:22   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Have also heard that the CLA 45 AMG could come in next year. Any idea on how it is? Though ofcourse, it's a compact sedan rather than a hot hatch
The A and the CLA45 will be here early next year. Though they definitely will not be below 40l.

I would get the Cooper S over the Countryman. For one it looks better, and there is no way the Countryman will handle as good as the Cooper S. A new one is overpriced at 40l, especially considering a new model is due this year. Why not look at a pre owned one. I saw one asking for 29l, I'm sure you could get it for cheaper, and this was less than a year old.

I don't see the 1 series coming with a very powerful engine either. And importing a 135 or similar will also cost more than 40l for sure.

The Abarths will be a good option, the only problem is no one knows when they will actually make it here.

EDIT -
Here is the Cooper S I speak of -
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...opers-D447699/

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 11th June 2013 at 20:30.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 20:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I'm having trouble figuring out my next car. My preference is probably captured by the term 'hot hatch.' I'd like a well-powered car which should have high-speed stability and great handling. The car would be used by me for daily drives in the city which are moving across and parking at multiple locations in day.
Did you consider the Subaru Impreza Cosworth? If I am not wrong its the meanest Hot hatch out there along with the Ford Focus.

Saw the countryman's review on Fifth Gear and have also read about it in Auto India.
And what they had to say is, Yes its definitely bigger than the Cooper S(you get a humongous boot space with both the rear seats folded-it takes in an entire snowboard) but its nowhere close to the S in the riding dynamics and the "fun" department.Also, its suspension is much stiff, every bump and pothole will be felt in the cabin.

Since you are spending an astronomical 40 lacs on a "hatch" you would definitely want it to be fun-to-drive and if I'm not wrong you won't be much worried about the space factor right?

I suggest you to enquire about 1st The Impreza Cosworth and 2. Cooper S.
Settle for nothing less..

As they say about the Cooper S - "Top Class Go-Kart Handling".
But if you want a lil practicality thrown in with a bit compromise on the ride and fun factor go for the Countryman!

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 20:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't realise dealerships themselves would help you import. Has anyone done this? How easy/tough is it?
Well, they do have plans to bring the 1 series to India later this year. Not sure if it is CKD/CBU. It won't harm to ask, for sure. I'm not sure if anyone has done this import yet through a dealer. But they might spare you a lot of the paper work and hassle.

Check this out for specs for the 135is and 135i. The "is" is an even hotted up version with 320 bhp. I'm not sure if they do the same spec in hatchback. The turbo has a lot of mod potential also.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...isCoupeRD.aspx

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...e/default.aspx
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 20:30   #23
BHPian

At 40 lacs the Lancer Evo really ought to be in contention
May not be a hatch but its far better than a mcs autobox.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 20:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Is diesel OK?

Just get the Aclass (or B class) and have the dealer import official AMG tuning kits, wheels, interior what ever you want from the AMG catalog. Enjoy full warranty and peace of mind. 200 bhp, 400 Nm easy!

I would pick the diesel personally. I'm not too comfortable messing around with German petrols plus you dont have have to go looking for hi-octane petrol.

Last edited by Mpower : 11th June 2013 at 22:14.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 21:07   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is diesel OK?

Just get the Aclass (or B class) and have the dealer import official AMG tuning kits, wheels, interior what every you want from the AMG catalog. Enjoy full warranty and peace of mind. 200 bhp, 400 Nm easy!

I would pick the diesel personally. I'm not too comfortable messing around with German petrols plus you dont have have to go looking for hi-octane petrol.
Would request you to show me what AMG tuning kits you are talking of? I have not seen any for the 2.2 diesel in the A and B class which produces 110bhp stock.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 21:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
At 40 lacs the Lancer Evo really ought to be in contention
May not be a hatch but its far better than a mcs autobox.
Oh! I thought the Evo was around 50 odd on road! Wow,if I get it for 40 I'd give up on the hatch.
Old 11th June 2013, 21:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh! I thought the Evo was around 50 odd on road! Wow,if I get it for 40 I'd give up on the hatch.
Since they don't really sell many, and there could be inventory available - Mitsubishi maybe willing to negotiate with you? One thing is, even at that price is an economy car in a performance car disguise. Not a premium car with a lot of performance. I don't know if that matters at all to you, given your outright requirement for performance.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 21:31   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The cooper S as others mentioned is the best option you got at the moment. However, if you can pull some strings at the MB dealership to get an A45AMG it would be ammmazing! Worth a shot, try your luck in convincing them to import one on special order.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 21:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Well it's a stretch from 40. But iff Mitsu is willing to work out a discount it wont be that much of a stretch. You could also look at a used RS4 or a new 328i if you can get enough.of a discount. My point here is that the mcs would only make sense at a 20 lac price point to me ( I love the car, was considering in the US before I moved back); If you can afford to spend 40 lacs on a car, you ought to consider any fun car in 40-50 range and bargain hard for a discount. Someone got an E350 at a 12 lakh discount last year and they didn't really bargain. It should be possible to get an evo for 45 or thereabouts.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 22:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Why not consider a Volvo v 40 cross country? Exclusive, soon to be launched and good on safety features.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks