Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 03:29   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Hot Hatch Wanted - 40 Lakh Budget. UPDATE: Mini Cooper S booked!

This is a no-brainer!

Just get the Mini Cooper S. If you're okay with blowing 40 lakhs on a car, it doesn't get better than a Mini IMO.

However, I'd recommend you read the following points before sealing the deal.
  • Avoid the optional and expensive 17" wheels. Go for the stock 16" wheels and try and swap the runcraps for regular tubeless tyres. That's one way of getting around the HARSH ride quality. You'll preserve your wheel-rims with the taller tyre side-wall as well!
  • Mini Coopers are known to be particularly unreliable in the long run and are famous for throwing up issues post 50k on the ODO. The issues are w/r/t the turbo going kaput (if diagnosed soon, it can be prevented) and the hood-scoop warping due to heat from the turbo and the weather. However, the new 2012 and 2013 models are relatively hassle-free.
  • If you can, try and get a Cooper S that's been sitting in the yard. Chances are, you might get a FAT discount on it. Save up on some cash in case you decide to give your Cooper some JCW goodies. Stay away from TD cars though.
  • Some options are worth every penny even though they're expensive i.e. if you've decided on buying a brand new car and spec'ing it up to your tastes. Like the HK stereo, the Mini Visual Boost (their take on the BMW iDrive), the panoramic sunroof and the bi-xenon lights. I'd avoid the chrome details on the bumpers, the full leather interior and the racing stripes if I were you.
  • Think about this decision, because the next generation 2014 Mini Cooper S is not far away from being unveiled. It's expected sometime in 2014 and should be powered by the same N20 lump that propels the BMW F30 328i i.e. 240 horsepower in a car that weights 1000 kilos! However, a new ESP is also expected and chances are, it won't feel as direct / fun as the current (R56) generation Mini Cooper S.

Happy shopping!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th June 2013 at 03:50. Reason: rephrasing
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 10:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

Volvo V40 Cross Country would be something to be considered. Extremely hi-tech, safe, fast (8 secs for 0-100 kmph), versatile and modern!
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 10:29   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Although there is no denying the credibility of the Mini Cooper S and its legendary handling/ performance, with a 40 Lakh budget, I would suggest you to lookout for the Audi Q3 which is a much more practical option and a more than worthy replacement for your ageing Swift. Honestly the quality of Mumbai roads demand a softer suspension for better ride quality on a daily basis which this tiny SUV offers along with adequate punch from its motor and decent handling with its AWD system on the twisty ghat sections for your weekend drives. IMO it looks pretty hot and it is for you to decide if it is a 'real' SUV or just an overgrown premium hatchback.
I am very sorry but the Q3 is probably the worst in comfort. It may have average performance but I think the Q3 due to it's lack of quality does not deserve the Audi badge.
I would also like to thank the person for telling me the Evo has the Worst ride and most noise of any car out there.
I hate this world where you can't have everything in one package.
supercars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 11:39   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't wait up for A45 amg, the ex-showroom price is expected to be 60L+.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 12:11   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the stock 16" wheels and try and swap the runcraps for regular tubeless tyres. That's one way of getting around the HARSH ride quality. You'll preserve your wheel-rims with the taller tyre side-wall as well!

Oh yes! Was concerned about the ride quality. Why didn't I think of that.

Quote:
Some options are worth every penny even though they're expensive i.e. if you've decided on buying a brand new car and spec'ing it up to your tastes. Like the HK stereo, the Mini Visual Boost (their take on the BMW iDrive), the panoramic sunroof and the bi-xenon lights. I'd avoid the chrome details on the bumpers, the full leather interior and the racing stripes if I were you.
Why is the Mini Visual Boost good? I have configured 'my' Mini Cooper many times over and have always left visual boost out to be within budget. Also, am curious as to why are you suggesting no racing stripes? Thanks your post goes into some details that are really helpful!
Old 13th June 2013, 12:26   #51
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey is the Skoda Laura VRs (Petrol) not a Hot Hatch? - 166 BHp which can be modified beyond 200 Bhp. Lower Cost compared to the options for greater power.

The Laura is a Hatch / Notch Back not a Sedan as most think when looking at it.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 12:32   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
Why is the Mini Visual Boost good? I have configured 'my' Mini Cooper many times over and have always left visual boost out to be within budget. Also, am curious as to why are you suggesting no racing stripes? Thanks your post goes into some details that are really helpful!
Well, for one thing it's intuitive to use and looks seriously upmarket. If you opt for the Mini Visual Boost, the screen sits in the center and the speedo surrounds it. Although this makes it slightly difficult to decipher (the speedo, not the screen) it looks really trick. Way more trick than the regular console w/o the screen. If you avoid the Visual Boost, the speedo dominates the console and for some reason, it reminds me of a weighing scale.

Apart from lending aesthetic value, it's a nifty little gadget that works just like BMW's iDrive and personally, I like it. Do check it out in person and see if it appeals to you too.

Racing stripes are nice, but you could get yourself a set of Mini Cooper stripes on the internet for much cheaper and go the DIY route. Cost effective and serves the purpose.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 16:31   #53
BHPian

Why not try the Hyundai Veloster.

Has a sleeker design...can't comment on the performance as never driven it.

As per Google baba, it retails at Rs 15,00,000+ and make modifications you would like to make it go faster.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Hatch Wanted - 40 Lakh Budget. UPDATE: Mini Cooper S booked!-hyundaivelosterultrablack.jpg  

Old 14th June 2013, 18:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will get the A-class for a TD.
You say hot hatch, but figure out for yourself how much performance you need.

My gut feeling is that you're looking for a warm hatch thats hot looking with good comfort and practicality.

A180 petrol with AMG bodykit should fit the bill!
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 13:43   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You say hot hatch, but figure out for yourself how much performance you need.

My gut feeling is that you're looking for a warm hatch thats hot looking with good comfort and practicality.

A180 petrol with AMG bodykit should fit the bill!
Will check that out. Though, it is indeed performance I'm looking for, good looks are an add on that I'd appreciate. But, mostly, I get looks and comfort from the other cars in my garage - BMW Z4, Merc S350, Honda Accord. Have taken the Z4 out for many a spin and been disappointed at its handling so definitely performance is the major criterion. Will check out the AMG bodykit since I like to cover all bases. I may write down and rank criteria, and see specs on paper but in the end it's going to be an emotional decision!
Old 15th June 2013, 13:50   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have taken the Z4 out for many a spin and been disappointed at its handling so definitely performance is the major criterion.
In what way were you disappointed at the Z4s handling? IMO it has one of the most agile chassis, and typical BMW handling. Was it the stiff ride which you didn't like?
Old 15th June 2013, 13:57   #57
BHPian

Cornering, grip on the road and some understeer too. Though mostly, it is a fun car to drive. The ride is not uncomfortably stiff for me - find it quite alright.
Old 17th June 2013, 16:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cornering, grip on the road and some understeer too. Though mostly, it is a fun car to drive. The ride is not uncomfortably stiff for me - find it quite alright.
Did you shortlist a top few? Test drives on the way? Would love to hear what you decide to buy?
Old 17th June 2013, 16:27   #59
BHPian

I work in DLF Cyber City which is also the office of BMW India and BMW India Financial Services. In our parking there is always a black and white John Cooper Works Mini standing. When I asked friend who works in BMW India Financial Services, he told me that John Cooper Works belongs to the India Head of Mini department. If you can ask the BMW dealers to get you that bad boy... whoa!
Old 17th June 2013, 17:39   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Did you shortlist a top few? Test drives on the way? Would love to hear what you decide to buy?
Well, other than the Cooper S, which I have already driven, I am waiting for details on BMW 135i, and the CLA45 from the dealership. My MB dealership has said that the CLA and not the A45 AMG will be coming to Indian shores early next year. Though, I must confess, I'm more interested in the 1 series.

I have decided against importing a car because there's just too much hassle involved and I really don't want to have to grease palms anywhere.

From a practical viewpoint, that leaves me with just the S, I enjoyed driving it but it bothers me that its AT. I much prefer MT and so checking with second-hand dealers whether there are any MT Cooper S up for grabs. So far, no luck and I'm not holding my breath. Also, trying to be patient and see if the Cooper and Cooper S go the CKD route like the Countryman.

On another note and off topic, will TD the Volve V40 Cross Country because looking out to replace the Honda Accord as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks