Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 12:09   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: Hot Hatch Wanted - 40 Lakh Budget. UPDATE: Mini Cooper S booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post

From a practical viewpoint, that leaves me with just the S, I enjoyed driving it but it bothers me that its AT. I much prefer MT and so checking with second-hand dealers whether there are any MT Cooper S up for grabs. So far, no luck and I'm not holding my breath. Also, trying to be patient and see if the Cooper and Cooper S go the CKD route like the Countryman..
It's a good thing that you've decided to stay away from importing a car privately. Even though it can be done, and you could even get the fully blown JCW manual, I'm not sure if the warranty would be honoured.

Also, do not expect the 135i to have a manual transmission.

And much to our disappointment, I doubt we'll see the Cooper S hatch go down the CKD route. The Countryman diesel will certainly be assembled, but the petrol variants, like most petrol cars in India, will get the step-motherly treatment. :(
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 12:45   #62
BHPian

msb, pls do update us on the volvo crosscountry, have some good things about it as well? probably there would a thread shortly on T_BHP, in the interim, pls give us a quick heads up on how the car is?
Old 19th June 2013, 13:06   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

It's a good thing that you've decided to stay away from importing a car privately. Even though it can be done, and you could even get the fully blown JCW manual, I'm not sure if the warranty would be honoured.

Also, do not expect the 135i to have a manual transmission.

And much to our disappointment, I doubt we'll see the Cooper S hatch go down the CKD route. The Countryman diesel will certainly be assembled, but the petrol variants, like most petrol cars in India, will get the step-motherly treatment. :(
So in conversation with Infiniti Motors - they say it could take a couple of years to go down the CKD route for the "2 door" Coopers. Also, they said they're getting JCW down at the end of this year. Price range: 60 lakhs. Though if they can get JCW in for "enthusiasts" and "night drives" (that's what I was told) why can't they get the Cooper S in MT!

As for the 135i - I have been telling myself the same thing - no getting away from AT. Paddle-shifts are fine but not having a clutch and gear robs me of some of the pleasure I derive from driving.

Going to take the Cooper S for half a day and drive it around. They have 3 chili red cars at chennai - 3 weeks for delivery
msbehave is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 14:04   #64
BHPian

the only "hot hatch" in that list is the cooper S (preferably in a loud colour).

a girl friend has one and is quite happy ( even though she is quite clueless about technicalities.. as expected)
Old 20th June 2013, 04:05   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So in conversation with Infiniti Motors - they say it could take a couple of years to go down the CKD route for the "2 door" Coopers. Also, they said they're getting JCW down at the end of this year. Price range: 60 lakhs. Though if they can get JCW in for "enthusiasts" and "night drives" (that's what I was told) why can't they get the Cooper S in MT!
While news of CKD plans is good, I doubt the 3-door hatch (R56 gen) will be assembled in India for the simple reason that it's a touch beyond its expiry date now.

This generation has been around for about 7 years now and has been through several special and limited editions AND two facelifts as well. The next gen Cooper will be a tad larger than the current one, but my guess is that it will not be larger than the current Swift. The new generation Mini may also get a brand new 3-cylinder diesel engine option for the base variants. This generation might even roll off Indian assembly lines in the future!

As for the JCW, I'd say don't bother. Let me explain:

In Britan and in other parts of the World, the Mini has 4 sporting variants. You get the Cooper which is great because the chassis / suspension is tight, but the engine lacks grunt. Then you get the Cooper S which is powered by the same Peugeot derived 1.6 liter engine, except it's got a turbo and this solves the grunt-problem considerably. Then, you get the Cooper JCW and this car is essentially a Cooper S with different plumbing for the turbo + tweaked ECU mapped to produce more boost, less restrictive intake and exhaust, tighter suspension and brakes. Power figures are a smidge over 200 horses. And then, you get the wild John Cooper Works GP. A track focused car that comes without rear seats and an engine that's been tweaked even further.

Even if BMW does decide to give us the Cooper JCW in limited numbers and in the off chance that it might come with a manual transmission, anything above 50 lakhs OTR would be way too much for it, even if you're nuts about such a car. (Cooper S with plethora of optional equipment + road tax + registration + insurance would work up to about 40 lakhs or more)

I say this because in other established markets, Mini offers a JCW performance kit especially for the Cooper S models. You get a less restrictive exhaust + intake and you get the 'JCW' tune that dials up the boost a bit. All for around 2000 dollars w/o labour. This takes the engine performance levels up to Cooper JCW standards (nearly) while allowing you to retain the stock suspension / brake setup. Hike in power is said to be around 10 horses, not sure how accurate it is. The JCW exhaust crackles, pops, fizzes on the overrun and it is just a little nastier when the S button is engaged. There is a marked improvement in the throttle response too. And the suspension is pretty stiff on the standard Cooper S, so you wouldn't want the stiffer Cooper JCW.

Get in touch with BMW and ask them if they could get you a JCW kit. It would be smarter to go through BMW as they would, in all likelihood, install it for you as well. This would help retain the car's factory warranty. It will be comparatively more expensive, but it will still work out cheaper than a Cooper JCW whilst delivering similar thrills. If they don't approve, wait for a bit and get the kit online and install once the warranty period has expired.

Quote:
As for the 135i - I have been telling myself the same thing - no getting away from AT. Paddle-shifts are fine but not having a clutch and gear robs me of some of the pleasure I derive from driving.
Tell me about it *nods head in disbelief*

That said, the AT might just prove to be a boon, given that the traffic is getting worse. You might enjoy it even more because your intention is to give it the daily-driver designation.

Quote:
Going to take the Cooper S for half a day and drive it around. They have 3 chili red cars at chennai - 3 weeks for delivery
Good luck! *thumbs up*

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th June 2013 at 04:30.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 16:32   #66
BHPian

Quote:
msb, pls do update us on the volvo crosscountry, have some good things about it as well? probably there would a thread shortly on T_BHP, in the interim, pls give us a quick heads up on how the car is?
Will do this soon. Just waiting for my father to get back to the city - he needs to be the passenger during the TD as he will be using the car for his weekdays. Will surely update next week.
Old 21st July 2013, 19:42   #67
BHPian

Completed a TD of the Cooper S and I must say it's everything that it's made out to be. Was an incredibly fun drive and was impressed with the way it stayed planted on the slick road. While the ride is bumpy [the demo car had 17 inchers] its something I can live with. The only thing that was really disappointing was the harmon kardon audio, just didn't cut any ice with me [apologies for the pun].
Standard issue is alpine speakers apparently, but I didnt test those out.

They have 2 orange and 1 red car in stock currently.
So, what I am looking at getting is the Chili Red with Roof and Mirror Caps in Black. It comes with a few additional options. If I want the car in the next month, I have to go with this else, order and wait - which takes 3 months. The additionals are Glass roof, the MINI Visual boost, Harmon Kardon, Dynamic Traction control, exterior mirror pakage, headliner - anthracite and the 17 inch tyres. This comes to a total of 43 lakhs on road.

I dont think I *need* anything except for the glass roof and the visual boost. So, negotiated with him and I have asked for the 16 inch wheels else I wouldnt be picking up the car. That shaves off 70K from the asking price. Also pretty much halving my insurance from 1.3lakhs to 70k and he's giving me another 1 lakh off the final. Getting a 3 year comprehensive service agreement at 50% discount too. Have asked for a better deal and said I will book in this calender month if he's able to sweeten the deal.
msbehave is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 21:26   #68
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Completed a TD of the Cooper S and I must say it's everything that it's made out to be. Was an incredibly fun drive and was impressed with the way it stayed planted on the slick road. While rance from 1.3lakhs to 70k and he's giving me another 1 lakh off the final. Getting a 3 year comprehensive service agreement at 50% discount too. Have asked for a better deal and said I will book in this calender month if he's able to sweeten the deal.
You're a stylish bloke I think and a man after my own heart.
First you like the Mini Cooper and two, as per your profile you're a canine behaviourist.
I absolutely love dogs as well as the iconic Mini and would be pleased to know you better old chap.
Cheers

Shankar
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:52   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You're a stylish bloke I think and a man after my own heart.
First you like the Mini Cooper and two, as per your profile you're a canine behaviourist.
I absolutely love dogs as well as the iconic Mini and would be pleased to know you better old chap.
Cheers

Shankar
I don't suppose you like smoked single malts do you, else that will be another convergence. Yes, I am very much a canine behaviourist - lovely GSD you have there on your DP - one of my favourite breeds actually!
Thanks for the compliments and I daresay, quite flattered - though I must confess that I'm not a bloke. Why should men have all the fun?
msbehave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:09   #70
BANNED

Quote:

I don't suppose you like smoked single malts do you, else that will be another convergence. Yes, I am very much a canine behaviourist - lovely GSD you have there on your DP - one of my favourite breeds actually!
Thanks for the compliments and I daresay, quite flattered - though I must confess that I'm not a bloke. Why should men have all the fun?
Its getting better by the minute isnt it?
Thank you for the correction - we ought not to assume everyone here is a bloke. I shall figuratively take my hat off to you in apology.
And yes, I am a malt aficionado as well.

This canine behaviour discipline - is it a bit like 'The Horse or Dog Whisperer' concept?
I would be happy to take this conversation offline as I am interested in this discipline. Specifically because as a family we have always talked to all our pet animals all the time. We have always found this method to help create a very strong bond between us and our much loved pets.
Do let me know!
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:17   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't dig dogs. The last line is nothing short of epic! Power to you!
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:38   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, what I am looking at getting is the Chili Red with Roof and Mirror Caps in Black. It comes with a few additional options. If I want the car in the next month, I have to go with this else, order and wait - which takes 3 months. The additionals are Glass roof, the MINI Visual boost, Harmon Kardon, Dynamic Traction control, exterior mirror pakage, headliner - anthracite and the 17 inch tyres. This comes to a total of 43 lakhs on road.

I dont think I *need* anything except for the glass roof and the visual boost. So, negotiated with him and I have asked for the 16 inch wheels else I wouldnt be picking up the car. That shaves off 70K from the asking price. Also pretty much halving my insurance from 1.3lakhs to 70k and he's giving me another 1 lakh off the final. Getting a 3 year comprehensive service agreement at 50% discount too. Have asked for a better deal and said I will book in this calender month if he's able to sweeten the deal.
The Chili Red and black combination is fantastic (even the Chili Red + white combination looks great). If you are getting 16” wheels, probably you should ask for the standard black alloys. It adds to the visual drama. Does this pre-configured number have full leather seats (and what colour)?
Old 23rd July 2013, 00:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The Chili Red and black combination is fantastic (even the Chili Red + white combination looks great). If you are getting 16” wheels, probably you should ask for the standard black alloys. It adds to the visual drama. Does this pre-configured number have full leather seats (and what colour)?
Chili Red+White looks fab but it also means I'd have to wait for a minimum of 3 months. Yup, I''m getting the standard black alloys. It is preconfigured with cloth and leather in ray carbon black.

Quote:
This canine behaviour discipline - is it a bit like 'The Horse or Dog Whisperer' concept?
I would be happy to take this conversation offline as I am interested in this discipline. Specifically because as a family we have always talked to all our pet animals all the time. We have always found this method to help create a very strong bond between us and our much loved pets. Do let me know!
Well, Dog whisperer romanticizes it a bit - its basically good dog training skills combined with a grip on how dogs fundamentally ‘tick’ as a species, physically, psychologically and in terms of their basic social behaviour. Not to mention good at communicating with both dogs and people. But, I'm going off topic so we'll take this offline definitely.
msbehave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 02:00   #74
Team-BHP Support

Nice to know that you've finalized on the red-black colour combination. And yes, I agree with vbsan too. The red-white combination would be mouth watering. Go with the black for now because there's a simple way of getting round it. You could always choose to go the 'wrap' way. It won't cost you a bomb and you could enjoy a white roof when you're bored of the black.

Remember, there are several ways one could customize your Mini outside BMW and the configurator. Options that will set your car apart from the rest.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:55   #75
BANNED

Quote:

Chili Red+White looks fab but it also means I'd have to wait for a minimum of 3 months. Yup, I''m getting the standard black alloys. It is preconfigured with cloth and leather in ray carbon black.

Well, Dog whisperer romanticizes it a bit - its basically good dog training skills combined with a grip on how dogs fundamentally ‘tick’ as a species, physically, psychologically and in terms of their basic social behaviour. Not to mention good at communicating with both dogs and people. But, I'm going off topic so we'll take this offline definitely.
Would it not be worth waiting for the red and white option? That's probably the best loved livery for a Mini Cooper isn't it?
Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks