Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 13:35   #91
BHPian

re: Hot Hatch Wanted - 40 Lakh Budget. UPDATE: Mini Cooper S booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

A good idea would be to wait for the warranty period to expire before you begin to modify your car. I'm sure if you talk to higher-ups, you could request them to pull a few strings for you, w/r/t installing the kit. The stock exhaust is great, though.

But why should one preferably stick to the stock exhaust for ATs in particular?
Okay, so I spoke to a senior manager:

JCWs are currently being 'tested' in India. I'm presuming homologation since he said they're looking at a December launch. This means that I would be able to get my hands on a JCW kit [with manifold] by february and they will install it for me under warranty. I can get the body kit earlier - but I'm not looking at spending on that.

Quote:
I think WAP charges is the agent fee and other service fees they add to get the registration done, this is where they make a healthy margin. Find out the actual RTO tax % for the car and everything you find in excess is being pocketed by them as "WAP/service fee"

I am not sure how much discount you can fetch exactly, the only way to do so is to call other dealerships in the country
Also did some research on registration fees - spoke to a few RTO agents, a few people in the auto industry and one RTO officials - their estimates ranged between 9%-14% of ex-showroom. When I told Infinity they insisted the registration charges for all CBUs are 20%. Anyway, they are giving me a 3.66 lakhs off on the whole - thanks Sahil and other BHPians. This is a little over what other showrooms were offering. Also did a check on the insurance and MINI insurance was the cheapest offered [100% IDV] for the Cooper S ranged from 70k to 95k.

I'm not getting rid of my Swift because I am too emotionally attached to it and also its a good option to ferry around my dogs. So, no transfer of NCB.

As I wanted to avoid octroi, I am getting the Cooper S registered on my Lonavala address. The Mini Cooper guys were insisting that now that LBT is in effect - I'd have to pay the same for Lonavala. I'm checking independently of them and I believe it doesnt have to be paid - else it would just be easier to register in Bombay and pay a little more for octroi.
msbehave is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 18:48   #92
BHPian

Have written and handed over a cheque for 3L as a booking deposit. This means that the, rather, my [still cant believe it] Cooper S will leave the Chennai facility tonight. It will travel with the other bimmers that are coming for the month-end push so thats how it happened so quick. It reaches Bombay on Tuesday 30th and will undergo temporary registration here.

They will spend the rest of the time on formalities, registering the car in Lonavla etc and it will be delivered to me on approximately 9-10th August leaving a few buffer days for RTO officials who bunk during rainy season [according to Infiniti]
I don't think its quite sunk in for me as yet.
msbehave is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 18:54   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post

They will spend the rest of the time on formalities, registering the car in Lonavla etc and it will be delivered to me on approximately 9-10th August leaving a few buffer days for RTO officials who bunk during rainy season [according to Infiniti]
Ask them to flatbed it to the Lonavla RTO and back, and that it shouldn't be driven. The Mini won't come back the same with the condition of the roads now, and especially not with some dealership driver. It will be worth the extra paid for it.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 23:51   #94
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hot Hatch Wanted - 40 Lakh Budget. UPDATE: Mini Cooper S booked!

Quote:
Okay, so I spoke to a senior manager:

JCWs are currently being 'tested' in India. I'm presuming homologation since he said they're looking at a December launch. This means that I would be able to get my hands on a JCW kit [with manifold] by february and they will install it for me under warranty. I can get the body kit earlier - but I'm not looking at spending on that..
Good call on the body kit. It doesn't look very special anyway.

I hope you know that we'd be expecting an extensive initial ownership report.

Have you been given a picture of the car by the SA?
Old 27th July 2013, 05:24   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Good call on the body kit. It doesn't look very special anyway.hope you know that we'd be expecting an extensive initial ownership report.
Have you been given a picture of the car by the SA?
Well I will do my best with initial ownership report- since tbhp reports are so very assiduous.
I haven't been given a pic of the car, but now I will ask for it!

As will I ask for the flatbed transport - invaluable point thank you!
msbehave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 14:09   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As will I ask for the flatbed transport - invaluable point thank you!
I can verify that you got a good deal. A friend booked a british green CooperS last week and got approx the same discount as you- 3.5 lakhs.

Congrats on the car ! Don't let your brother touch it

Regarding the flatbed, I don't think it is required as the car does not need to physically go there. None of my cars have physically gone to the RTO ever, including one that was registered in Lonavala. Just the chassis print is enough. The cost of the flatbed will be far more than the slight bribe you might need to pay for not sending the car there.

Also, you can bring the car home once temp registration is done. No need to wait for the full registration completion. Temporary regn is valid for one month and can also be extended if needed.

I would however suggest that you request the dealer to let you pick up the car from the stockyard itself so you are the only person that drives it after the factory dispatch. I did the same for my RS-5, the drive from the stockyard to home was one that will stay with me for years #goosebumps ! Trust me you don't wanna see how these dealership drivers rip these cars, I had a R8 V10 being picked up at the stockyard by the dealerships driver along with my car and lord he ripped the living day light out of it!

Last edited by Sahil : 29th July 2013 at 14:12.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 15:27   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Congrats on the car ! Don't let your brother touch it
Regarding the flatbed, I don't think it is required as the car does not need to physically go there. None of my cars have physically gone to the RTO ever, including one that was registered in Lonavala.

I would however suggest that you request the dealer to let you pick up the car from the stockyard itself so you are the only person that drives it after the factory dispatch.
Haha! my poor brother, I really bully him - he hasn't even driven the Swift. I dont usually let anyone else touch my cars. My friends hate me for never giving the car to the valet!
The dealership just gave me the quote for the flatbed - 12K. According to them Lonavla RTO is very strict and a chassis print will not work. Will try to figure another way.

Thanks for that - will definitely pick it up from the stockyard! This car couldnt have come at a better time - since I crashed my Swift. :(
Old 29th July 2013, 16:04   #98
BHPian

MINI has just informed me about an insurance add-on called Mini Smile.

MINI Smile Covers:
- Depreciation Cover
- Vehicle replacement in case of total loss
- Hydrostatic lock
- Up to 4 tyres, in case of puncture, bulge, burst and cuts
- Up to 4 Alloys
- Conveyance benefit
- Loss of key

This service costs 50K. Wonder whether signing on for this service is worth it - especially since I'm not keen on the run-flats anyway. Advice would be appreciated.
Old 29th July 2013, 16:17   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

MINI Smile Covers:
- Depreciation Cover
- Hydrostatic lock
- Up to 4 Alloys
- Conveyance benefit
- Loss of key

This service costs 50K. Wonder whether signing on for this service is worth it - especially since I'm not keen on the run-flats anyway. Advice would be appreciated.
Besides the tyres everything else can be covered with a Zero Depreciation insurance policy. Which would not be 50k more.

I have never really felt much value in the BMW secure package which is similar to this. However, do take their BSI or annual service contract, those are worth every penny.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 20:55   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

MINI Smile Covers:
- Depreciation Cover
- Hydrostatic lock
- Up to 4 Alloys
- Conveyance benefit
- Loss of key

This is basically BMW Secure for the Mini. I would avoid it, since there is a good chance you will change the runflats anyway, it doesn't make sense. Just get a good zero depreciation insurance, thats my suggestion.

And 12k for the flat bed seems fair enough. I too was told that the cars have to go to the Lonavla rto.

Sahil - When did you manage to register your car in Lonavla without the car going there? Was it a few years ago?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 22:43   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

@akshay: My BMW was registered there about 5 years ago.
Perhaps things have gotten strict now.

I would just drive the car there instead of spending on the flatbed. Driving a brand new CooperS on the expressway will be a treat. You will inch closer to the frustrating break-in period.
Old 30th July 2013, 00:33   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@akshay: My BMW was registered there about 5 years ago.
Perhaps things have gotten strict now.

I would just drive the car there instead of spending on the flatbed. Driving a brand new CooperS on the expressway will be a treat. You will inch closer to the frustrating break-in period.
Yes I believe it is more strict now, because they insisted on taking my car there too for registration. Even a couple of friends I know have had to send their cars there.

Buddy, the Sion Panvel highway is in no way going to be an enjoyable drive, and after going on it for the past 3 weekends there is no other word to describe is but laborious. I haven't seen it in such terrible shape in a few years, and in some places its just rocks and potholes. Definitely wouldn't recommend taking the Mini with its stiff suspension and low clearance. Not to mention god knows how the road to the RTO in Lonavla is. Going by the state of the roads in lonavla besides the NH4 main road, I think it will be in bad shape.

Again if you have seen it in the past few weeks and still think it will be an enjoyable drive then I will hold onto my words.
Old 30th July 2013, 12:18   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Yes I believe it is more strict now, because they insisted on taking my car there too for registration. Even a couple of friends I know have had to send their cars there.

Buddy, the Sion Panvel highway is in no way going to be an enjoyable drive, and after going on it for the past 3 weekends there is no other word to describe is but laborious.
According to Infinity, the Lonavala RTO is in Pune, so one would have to go there. I drove on the Sion-Panvel highway on this Sat/Sun to Mahabaleshwar and back. It is positively painful on some stretches [even if you take Palm beach] and worse when you hit Pune. With the size of the craters you'd think these were test-tracks for cars made for the moon. I was thanking my stars that I took the Honda City and not the Accord. Would have preffered not to send the Mini there at all, but Infinity insists that they are very strict.
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:02   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This car couldnt have come at a better time - since I crashed my Swift. :(
Don't know what happened with your swift, but was going to warn you a few days back about the Cooper! It's very easy to get carried away in this little thing. It's more playful and lively than pretty much all the sub-60 lakhs cars out there. But beware, it will bite back if you cross its limits!

I think there's already been a handful of Mini crashes in India since the launch.

Quote:
Driving a brand new CooperS on the expressway will be a treat.
Nonono.. take the old highway!!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 12:54   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Don't know what happened with your swift, but was going to warn you a few days back about the Cooper! It's very easy to get carried away in this little thing. ImBut beware, it will bite back if you cross its limits! think there's already been a handful of Mini crashes in India since the launch.
R
My swift was the last car in a pile-up on a very wet WEH. My error was to keep only a 1 car distance between myself & the car in front. Luckily no one was hurt.

On my TD over some patches at certain speeds I really had to hang on to the wheel as the mini was going all over the place. Want to read up on the mini crashes and how they happened!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks