Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 07:28   #61
BHPian

Re: Skoda: Octavia or Superb?

My advice here - forget what the mind says and go with what the heart says. I'm sure that after 4 pages, your heart does yearn more for one of the two. For me it was the Laura TSi and I bought that
SafeDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 11:25   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
My advice here - forget what the mind says and go with what the heart says. I'm sure that after 4 pages, your heart does yearn more for one of the two. For me it was the Laura TSi and I bought that
Yes. My heart indeed yearns for the Octavia. And with the ample feedback I received from BHP'ians here, my mind also is convinced now
Old 11th February 2014, 11:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

Did you check out the New Superb pricing? Only 2 lacs now differentiate the Octavia and Superb. If I were you and I had the budget, would go for the Superb. I know, I know, I praise my Octavia a lot, but you never know what niggles I might encounter with it in future. Superb is a proven ride, not much has changed, and hopefully the DSG issue is resolved. What say? changing the booking to Superb? 1.8 TSI Elegance manual is exactly same as Octavia 1.8 Elegance TSI besides the fact that Octavia is equipped with DSG. Now the DSG version is only 2-Lakh dearer.
Old 11th February 2014, 21:26   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Did you check out the New Superb pricing? Only 2 lacs now differentiate the Octavia and Superb. If I were you and I had the budget, would go for the Superb. I know, I know, I praise my Octavia a lot, but you never know what niggles I might encounter with it in future. Superb is a proven ride, not much has changed, and hopefully the DSG issue is resolved. What say? changing the booking to Superb? 1.8 TSI Elegance manual is exactly same as Octavia 1.8 Elegance TSI besides the fact that Octavia is equipped with DSG. Now the DSG version is only 2-Lakh dearer.
Hi Adi,

I checked Skoda website and could not find any price information on the new Superb (the price information of old Superb is also removed). At the time I started this thread, the 1.8TSI Manual Elegance of the old Superb after 1L discount was costing around 24.2L on the road in Coimbatore vs. 21.5L for Octavia 1.8TSI. I am sure the new Superb will not have that 1L discount and the price may have gone a bit higher. That would put the new Superb manual Elegance at least 3L dearer than the Octavia. I definitely do not have the budget to stretch by 3L

Also, as mentioned by many other members, the increased size and weight of Superb will definitely reduce that fun factor. As I will always be on the driver's seat, I decided to stick with the Octavia.
Old 11th February 2014, 22:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi again. Here are the new prices officially unvieled by Skoda India, but I found them only to be precise on this forum:

- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI MT Ambition – Rs.18.87 lacs

- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI MT Elegance – Rs.20.65 lacs

- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI AT Elegance – Rs.22.27 lacs

- Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI AT Ambition – Rs.23.43 lacs

- Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI AT Elegance – Rs.25.2 lacs

Ofcourse these are ex-Delhi prices. Although it gives us the idea, where the Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance DSG is priced at 18.25 lacs Ex-Delhi. And the Superb 1.8 TSI Elegance Manual is priced at 20.65 lacs ex-Delhi.
adi_petrolhead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 05:52   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi again. Here are the new prices officially unvieled by Skoda India, but I found them only to be precise on this forum:

- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI MT Ambition – Rs.18.87 lacs

- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI MT Elegance – Rs.20.65 lacs

- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI AT Elegance – Rs.22.27 lacs

- Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI AT Ambition – Rs.23.43 lacs

- Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI AT Elegance – Rs.25.2 lacs

Ofcourse these are ex-Delhi prices. Although it gives us the idea, where the Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance DSG is priced at 18.25 lacs Ex-Delhi. And the Superb 1.8 TSI Elegance Manual is priced at 20.65 lacs ex-Delhi.
Thanks for the pricing info. The difference in ex-showroom price is around 1.8L for the Superb 1.8TSI Elegance manual and Octavia 1.8TSI. Add to this the increase in tax and insurance, the new Superb 1.8TSI Elegance manual would cost around 2.3L more than the Octavia 1.8TSI. That would be too much of a stretch for me.

The Ambition variant should be about 40K to 50K more than the Octavia. I checked the feature list of the Ambition and Elegance variants of Superb. It looks like the ambition variant is a more VFM package. The Ambition gets the same 8 airbags, electrical seat adjustment for driver, Napa leather upholstery and touch screen HU. What the ambition misses is the BiXenons with AFS, LED DRLs, electrical seat adjustment for passenger, keyless entry and start stop, front parking sensors and sunroof. If it were not for the missing BiXenons (other missing features are not deal breakers to me), the ambition variant may have appealed to me. Having said that, the ambition variant is still more VFM than the elegance.
Old 24th March 2014, 12:39   #67
BHPian

I was facing a similar conundrum as graaja - whether to book Octavia or get the Superb. Except that I had a bias towards the latter.

Finally, took the plunge last week and booked a Superb. Got a prev Gen model with handsome discount. As it turns out, I got the Superb (albeit an MT) at a lower price than the Octavia.

In case someone is interested in the previous model, there may be some available with JMD.
Old 24th March 2014, 14:25   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The Ambition gets the same 8 airbags, electrical seat adjustment for driver, Napa leather upholstery and touch screen HU. What the ambition misses is the BiXenons with AFS, LED DRLs, electrical seat adjustment for passenger, keyless entry and start stop, front parking sensors and sunroof. If it were not for the missing BiXenons (other missing features are not deal breakers to me), the ambition variant may have appealed to me. Having said that, the ambition variant is still more VFM than the elegance.
Don't worry about the missing stuff! You can get them installed from Vagtune at a later stage and travelling to Ernakulam wont be an issue since you're from Coimbatore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
Finally, took the plunge last week and booked a Superb. Got a prev Gen model with handsome discount. As it turns out, I got the Superb (albeit an MT) at a lower price than the Octavia.
Congratulations! I'm sure the car would give you many happy miles. I feel as long as you follow the instructions on the manual, especially for the break-in period, you're less likely to have problems from the engine/DSG and say NO to aftermarket accessories. Be sure to take the extended warranty which would give you additional peace of mind.

Finally, since you've spent so much on the car, try to always fill from a reputed fuel outlet, that way minimizing risk due to adulterated fuel, which seems to be a common cause for problems to many Skoda owners.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 15:42   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
I was facing a similar conundrum as graaja - whether to book Octavia or get the Superb. Except that I had a bias towards the latter.

Congratulations with the booking. You made a great choice. Superb is a great VFM car, and that too at a price lower than Octavia, this is an awesome deal. Wishing you many tens of thousands of happy miles. BTW, which model did you choose? TSi Manual, Elegance?

Unfortunately for me, I ended up neither with the Octavia nor the Superb. As the delivery of my Octavia TSi was getting indefinitely delayed, I have decided to cancel the Octavia and go with the Jetta.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 16:37   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Congratulations! I'm sure the car would give you many happy miles. I feel as long as you follow the instructions on the manual, especially for the break-in period, you're less likely to have problems from the engine/DSG and say NO to aftermarket accessories. Be sure to take the extended warranty which would give you additional peace of mind.

Finally, since you've spent so much on the car, try to always fill from a reputed fuel outlet, that way minimizing risk due to adulterated fuel, which seems to be a common cause for problems to many Skoda owners.
I picked up an MT. So atleast on DSG front I am covered. Also got extended warranty. No aftermarket installs planned. About fuel, since most of my driving will be on highways I will have to find a good dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations with the booking. You made a great choice. Superb is a great VFM car, and that too at a price lower than Octavia, this is an awesome deal. Wishing you many tens of thousands of happy miles. BTW, which model did you choose? TSi Manual, Elegance?

Unfortunately for me, I ended up neither with the Octavia nor the Superb. As the delivery of my Octavia TSi was getting indefinitely delayed, I have decided to cancel the Octavia and go with the Jetta.
I chose MT Tsi Elegance.

I really wish Skoda had enough supply to meet the demand. It seems unreasonable that a willing-to-pay customer has to look elsewhere due to lack of supply!
pratika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 09:59   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen (and ladies!),
Bumping up an old thread but I am considering upgrading my Cruze manual with an automatic + diesel combo. Usage is around 17k km/year.

Should I go for the Superb DSG (32L OTR), Jetta DSG (25.7L OTR) or Octavia (26.3 OTR)? Difference equates to 10k a month extra EMI for the Superb. Will keep vehicle for minimum 5 years so not unduly worried about resale and/or mileage. Before anyone says it, size does not matter in my case - I love large cars!

Heart says Superb but mind says either Octavia or Jetta. What do you think?

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd September 2015 at 10:01. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd September 2015, 10:07   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Gentlemen (and ladies!),
Bumping up an old thread but I am considering upgrading my Cruze manual with an automatic + diesel combo. Usage is around 17k km/year.

Should I go for the Superb DSG (32L OTR), Jetta DSG (25.7L OTR) or Octavia (26.3 OTR)? Difference equates to 10k a month extra EMI for the Superb. Will keep vehicle for minimum 5 years so not unduly worried about resale and/or mileage. Before anyone says it, size does not matter in my case - I love large cars!

Jetta DSG. No main reasons to disapprove of the other Skoda twins except the fact that they are Skodas. After reading the various Skoda horror stories, if you are still ready to take the plunge, then you can consider the Superb DSG (if budget is not a problem).

Jetta has some satisfied owners in Team BHP itself and seems to be from a better customer-oriented brand (than Skoda). Add to that, the lovely deep blue shade it has on offer (can't recall the name). Go with the mind!
vin11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 10:23   #73
BHPian

Go for the VW Jetta. Timeless design and it got a facelift recently. The Skoda Superb while a brilliant car and worth the extra money will look old as soon as the new one is launched early next year. That's when your heart will be broken if you go for one now. But, if you can wait for the new Superb, wait. It is such a brilliant looking car!!
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 10:38   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
Jetta DSG. No main reasons to disapprove of the other Skoda twins except the fact that they are Skodas. After reading the various Skoda horror stories, if you are still ready to take the plunge, then you can consider the Superb DSG (if budget is not a problem).

Jetta has some satisfied owners in Team BHP itself and seems to be from a better customer-oriented brand (than Skoda). Add to that, the lovely deep blue shade it has on offer (can't recall the name). Go with the mind!
Thanks vin11! My thoughts:

I believe the ALL 3 of these diesels have the VAG DQ200 6-speed wet type DSG gearbox which is far more robust than the catastrophic DQ250 7-speed dry type used in the petrols. If I understand correctly, relatively few DQ200s have failed worldwide. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

VW’s after-sales is no better in Bangalore – I am also a Polo TDI owner and the experience has been so-so as on date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Go for the VW Jetta. Timeless design and it got a facelift recently. The Skoda Superb while a brilliant car and worth the extra money will look old as soon as the new one is launched early next year. That's when your heart will be broken if you go for one now. But, if you can wait for the new Superb, wait. It is such a brilliant looking car!!
Thanks, amansanc!

You’re very right on the current Superb immediately ageing when the new one launches by end-2015. One point is that the new one will very probably be priced a minimum of 10 lakhs more than this outgoing model. That translates into a OTR (BLR) of around 38L which places it well beyond even my theoretical 2016 budget 

One of my used car contacts (reasonable genuine fellow) casually mentioned that the diesel Superb will tend to hold its value because the new Passat and Superb will be a D3 segment vehicle. His rationale is that this will leave the used car market receptive to a used Superb 5 years down the line. There will effectively be NO other used car competitors in this size actually. The Accord is now rapidly ageing, the Camry is a petrol and the Sonata and the old Passat was a miserable failure even when new. What else is left as a D2 sedan?

Does this rationale make sense? Anyways, I am not very focused on resale even before I buy a vehicle; wouldn’t have bought a Chevy if so

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd September 2015 at 16:26. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:13   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Gentlemen (and ladies!),
It all comes down to requirements off an individual. If you want the best dynamics of the lot and can do away with relatively less features, go for the Jetta. If you are comfortable buying a car which is soon going to be replaced by a whole new generation model, go for the superb. The TDI DSG is a relatively safer bet as compared to the petrol counterpart from what I can see from the user reviews. But the comfort it offers is top notch and leagues ahead of its smaller siblings. You can also haggle for handsome discounts since the new one is just around the corner. Coming to the Octavia, well, this was my pick of the three when I was in the same boat as you are. My reasons were simple, it was a new vehicle, performance was good, had all the newer generation features, comfortable to be driven around in and I was just sold on its looks
Today, after 1 year and at 25k kms, I am happy with my decision. It has been driven in all kinds of conditions, been to various long trips and it serves me well as my family/weekend car.

Last edited by shreyak_ss : 3rd September 2015 at 11:15.
shreyak_ss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks