Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2014, 11:14   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda: Octavia or Superb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Check out the review of the new Skoda Superb (facelift)

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-369491.aspx

Looking at the pics, it looks like it has new Octavia's front end, old Superb's side profile and Audi's rear end. This one is ideal for somebody who is cross-shopping across three different segments
Thanks. I checked out that review. However, the new Superb is absolutely out of reach for me, as my budget is already stretched for the Octavia. My cross shopping ends with D1
Old 16th January 2014, 11:18   #32
BHPian

Hey, if you have made up your mind about the 1.8 octavia tsi then just ignore this post.

The 1.8 octavia tsi with 180hp gave many of us this "too good to be true" feeling when lauched. Unfortunately, we were proved right with too many complaints from customers within 2 months of its launch. 5 out of the 6 octavia 1.8 owners ive spoken to had issues of varying severity with their car. Headlights failure, fuel filter issues, engine knocking, repeated rattling..etc to name a few (keeping bhpian reflux's issue out as his prolonged silence has made many doubt his credibility).

Seems like this variant of the 2013 octavia wasnt thoroughly tested under indian conditions. People who i've spoken to with other variants of the octavia have been quite satisfied.

Hope you have a trouble free ownership experience.

Last edited by vinj14 : 16th January 2014 at 11:19.
vinj14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 12:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I am indeed planning to throw the car around in corners. That is the whole reason for selecting a German car for its stability in corners. For a sedated driving style, I would have opted for a Honda City CVT

Also, I am already stretching my budget for the Octy. Superb will be some more stretch. So wheel and suspension upgrade is impossible.
Hi graaja,
The point I was trying to make is that there isn't much difference in the "driving pleasure" between the Octavia and the Superb with stock tires / suspension. Both would corner similarly due to the larger side profiles - i.e. more rubber. (Of course the extra rubber is a better option for our horrid road surfaces).
To really enjoy either of the cars around corners I would suggest either (ideally both), a tire upgrade and a sway bar OR suspension upgrade. Surely this can be done in the long term depending on how long you wanna keep the car.

Also, regarding the point being made about the Superb being an "outdated" model. My perspective is this - since the new Octavia is a first gen of sorts that's now based on the MQB platform, there's bound to be an initial teething phase for service centers / dealers to iron out any problems (if they occur). That won't necessarily be the case with a Superb since the typical problems (if any) are pretty much known. So it's kinda a case of "known devil is easier to deal with than an unknown devil". IMO, you could push the dealer for a bigger discount on the Superb especially since they'd want to clear out stocks before the facelifted Superb shows up. If you can get 2L off, I'd take it and run.

And finally, go test drive both cars once more, get a real feel for both and go with your heart. As someone mentioned, it isn't often that you're spending on a car so let the rationalizing/over analysis end, at least a little bit. Either way they're both awesome cars and the higher revving 1.8 petrol is just too much fun so it's good that you're not falling for the noisy diesels.
Cheers and enjoy your purchase!
Macfreak7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 13:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

I see from the specs that the the wheelbase difference is about 10 cm (about the width of your palm)!!

Does it make that much difference in the driving pleasure quotient?
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 14:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

As I have mentioned in some other threads, I have booked a Skoda Octavia 1.8TSI after considerable deliberations. The most important issues that challenged me during the decision making were the reliability of the DSG7, lack of extended warranty and the after sales support of Skoda. After many positive inputs from existing Skoda users (dkaile, hayek, santhoshbhat, adi_petrolhead to name a few), and drastic decrease in reported DSG7 issues post 2012, news that extended warranty will be announced this quarter, I went ahead and booked the car. In parallel I also did a survey to reinforce my decision. However, the fact remained that DSG7 still introduces some risk and the perfect car would have been a 1.8TSI with manual transmission.
It will be much better for you to go with the Superb as it is a tried and tested car. The Octavia on the other hand is being offered without extended warranty, clearly showing the manufacturer's confidence in the car, this is also a case with the VW Vento and Polo TSI DSG.
Old 16th January 2014, 15:22   #36
BHPian

I would recommend Octavia diesel AT. It is fun to drive this car with practicality of automatic gearbox. If you are okay with the beige interiors then look no further.

Superb will lose its value very quickly as it's petrol and add to that a new model is coming up. Also, Octavia has more features than Superb like panoramic sun roof, bi-xenons to name few.

I see no real reason for you to go for Superb considering that you would be driving it and not chauffeured around.

Good luck!
Old 16th January 2014, 15:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Also, Octavia has more features than Superb like panoramic sun roof, bi-xenons to name few.

The Superb has a sunroof too. Just not a panoramic one.
Superb has Xenons too.
Not that these would be a decisive factor to the OP.. but just saying.
Old 16th January 2014, 15:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Superb has Xenons too.
Yes, but I think not bi-xenons. That's why I mentioned it.
Old 16th January 2014, 17:11   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarguy View Post
It will be much better for you to go with the Superb as it is a tried and tested car. The Octavia on the other hand is being offered without extended warranty, clearly showing the manufacturer's confidence in the car, this is also a case with the VW Vento and Polo TSI DSG.
I have already communicated to Skoda that I will not take delivery of the car without the extended warranty. And they have called me and confirmed that they are working out the details of the extended warranty with the insurance company and will introduce the extended warranty by this quarter before March. As my car is expected only by March or April, I believe there should be no problem on this.

Quote:
I would recommend Octavia diesel AT. It is fun to drive this car with practicality of automatic gearbox. If you are okay with the beige interiors then look no further.

Superb will lose its value very quickly as it's petrol and add to that a new model is coming up. Also, Octavia has more features than Superb like panoramic sun roof, bi-xenons to name few.

I see no real reason for you to go for Superb considering that you would be driving it and not chauffeured around.

Good luck!
My main concern with Superb was it's size. I did not want to lose on the driving pleasure in exchange for the reliability of manual transmission. However from the many inputs I received and yours as well, Superb is more of a chauffeur driven car than self driven. That is the reason why I decided to keep the Octy booking with the risks involved with DSG7 (which was already there when I initially booked).

Regarding Diesel, as I have mentioned in a previous post, I have severe hearing loss and need a very silent cabin for any conversation to be possible. With the constant thrumming sound that I had in the Diesel engine, conversation was totally impossible for me. That is the prime reason to stick with petrol. Otherwise, Octavia's diesel engine offers equal power as a petrol engine.

Quote:
The Superb has a sunroof too. Just not a panoramic one.
Superb has Xenons too.
Not that these would be a decisive factor to the OP.. but just saying.
OT, what is the difference between a normal sunroof and a panoramic sunroof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
And finally, go test drive both cars once more, get a real feel for both and go with your heart. As someone mentioned, it isn't often that you're spending on a car so let the rationalizing/over analysis end, at least a little bit. Either way they're both awesome cars and the higher revving 1.8 petrol is just too much fun so it's good that you're not falling for the noisy diesels.
Cheers and enjoy your purchase!
The sad part is, there is no petrol test drive car available in Coimbatore, not even a 1.4TSi. The only test drive they have is the diesel ambition with manual transmission. I ruled out diesel due to the noise. I am relying mainly on the reviews I read about the 1.8TSi engine. With the 1.1Liter Getz that I am driving now, I am sure nothing can go wrong with the 1.8TSi

And there is no test drive vehicle for Superb at all, not even a diesel.

Last edited by graaja : 16th January 2014 at 17:12.
Old 16th January 2014, 17:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but I think not bi-xenons. That's why I mentioned it.
Of course they are Bi-xenons. On the Superb that is.

Quote:
Normal sunroof is just that, a sunroof. Where as panoramic sunroof is, where the entire, or major part of the roof is, well, a sunroof
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 18:19   #41
BHPian

My 2 cents..

If driving pleasure is your main criteria, then why dont you take a test drive of Fiat Linea T-Jet ? Am basically a SUV guy, but just happened to TD T-jet while I went to decide a car for my friend. Man, I was completely bowled over by its capabilities, especially the suspension setup. Now am seriously contemplating of owning this as my second car.

You can save some bucks too!!

Last edited by 2500cc : 16th January 2014 at 18:28.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 18:48   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Regarding Diesel, as I have mentioned in a previous post, I have severe hearing loss and need a very silent cabin for any conversation to be possible.

In that case remember to go in for a good tyre upgrade the moment you take delivery. Tyres will make a large difference to the silence inside the cabin.

In case of Skoda/VWs the normal sunroof is really small, and the pano sunroof is a normal sized sunroof
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 19:10   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Normal sunroof is just that, a sunroof. Where as panoramic sunroof is, where the entire, or major part of the roof is, well, a sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
In case of Skoda/VWs the normal sunroof is really small, and the pano sunroof is a normal sized sunroof
Thanks a bunch for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
My 2 cents..

If driving pleasure is your main criteria, then why dont you take a test drive of Fiat Linea T-Jet ? Am basically a SUV guy, but just happened to TD T-jet while I went to decide a car for my friend. Man, I was completely bowled over by its capabilities, especially the suspension setup. Now am seriously contemplating of owning this as my second car.

You can save some bucks too!!
I did test drive the Linea. I loved the power and the handling of Linea, but the greatest let down was the space. Though the car looks huge from the outside, I felt the rear legroom was like that in a Swift. And the other problem was the very narrow foot well on the driver side which resulted in my leg getting stuck between the clutch pedal and the side wall.

Actually, it is the driving experience with Linea that made me look for turbo petrols which finally led me to the Octavia. Other turbo petrol cars I considered were the Vento TSi and Jetta 1.4TSi, but dropped them due to various reasons. That led me to Octavia 1.4TSi and 1.8TSi. As I wanted the safety features in the Elegance model, finally ended up with the 1.8TSi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
In that case remember to go in for a good tyre upgrade the moment you take delivery. Tyres will make a large difference to the silence inside the cabin.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely consider that. Do you have any specific tyre in mind, that has a balance between road noise, handling and durability?
Old 16th January 2014, 19:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

The way I see it, the Superb offers far more kit in terms of both features and safety. The Octavia can only lay claim to a larger (but uglier because it opens out on top and requires a larger wind deflector) sunroof and cornering lights. As I said already, the Superb also exudes quality in a manner the Octy can only try matching.
The space in the back is unbelievable and will definitely get compliments from family members and colleagues even if you don't use the rear bench much.
AND, who said the Superb is not a driver's delight? It is like saying buy a 3er because it has a shorter wheelbase than a 5er. The 5 series still remains the best to drive in its segment and the Superb certainly is one of the best in its segment and as Alpha 1 said, there is only a 10mm difference in wheelbase.

Please drive both cars before finalizing your decision because the Superb really is a treat to drive as well. If not for the peace of mind and ftd factor a manual offers, do remember that you are also avoiding several other issues that seem to be plaguing the new Octavia; the fuel filter, lighting system, reported knocking issues. While you might not have much of an issue getting problems sorted and parts replaced, it is still an unacceptable experience from a new car.

This is the perfect time to buy a Superb and not get caught up chasing the new Octy mate In the end, do not get swayed by us, just get out there and test the two cars yourself

Last edited by IshaanIan : 16th January 2014 at 19:33.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 10:41   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The way I see it, the Superb offers far more kit in terms of both features and safety. The Octavia can only lay claim to a larger (but uglier because it opens out on top and requires a larger wind deflector) sunroof and cornering lights.

AND, who said the Superb is not a driver's delight? It is like saying buy a 3er because it has a shorter wheelbase than a 5er. The 5 series still remains the best to drive in its segment and the Superb certainly is one of the best in its segment and as Alpha 1 said, there is only a 10mm difference in wheelbase.
What features and safety does the Superb offer besides the twindoor and 2 more airbags?

Unfortunately all panoramic roofs open out that way, be it a Teana, or the Mercs or Audis, etc. Why is everyone going crazy about the Octys sunroof opening outside.

Just to confirm, the 3 is a sharper and more involving car to drive than the 5. And a 10mm difference in wheelbase doesn't mean a 10mm difference in length. The Superb is wider, much longer, heavier and has less power. Its the best in its segment to drive, but can't match the Octy.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed