Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2020, 19:07   #91
BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a Used Skoda Superb (2nd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
Hi all,
I am looking to buy an pre-owned Superb petrol Manual in Bangalore. My usage will be in the range of 5k-7k kms per year within city and a couple of long drives of around 900 kms each time. I expect to retain this car for 4-5 years.

Considering issues in DSG, low annual running and love for manual transmission, I prefer the 1.8 TSI 6 speed manual.

Pls suggest which one of the below maybe considered:
2010 with 80k on the odometer and second owner at Rs 4.0 lacs
2011 with 60k on the odometer and a first owner through a dealer at Rs 7.0 lacs

Cars above 2014 mfg year with less than 75k kms breaches the Rs 10.0 lac price and is out of my budget.

What are the expected failures in the above aged vehicles?
What will be the approx bank balance I would need to maintain during the ownership period to attend to the failures?
Are there FNG's in Bangalore to bank on for the routine minor repairs?
I have a PW Second generation Superb TDi DSG -
Pros - The BIG car feel, the power, excellent driveability, comfort, for a big car it is actually fun in the ghats as well, superb long distance cruiser (yes even on some bad roads).
Cons - The BIG car feel, expensive spares (if something breaks) and the dismal FE for the petrol (a friend had it) - the Diesel is frugal (12-14 in city, 20-24 highways).
Why, have I put BIG car as a con - it spoils you. The issue is if you want to replace it 'every' car (esp. new) will feel a downgrade. I am suffering from that right now. The only cars that you will feel like a good replacement will be another Superb/Passat or A BMW 5 series & equivalents).
Service costs - are not very high - for regular services that is. It should be in the range of 12-14K (You can use the Skoda service cost calculator)
The issue is with parts - most parts 'will' be expensive. Suspension generally gives way around the 60-70K mark in India for most cars of this category. A r suspension replacement will be about 45-80K (depending upon which supplier you use Meyle/Sachs are more expensive than others).
Also a new battery is expensive, so are tyres (preferably use Michelin Primacy or Conti5 - a friend brought Perfinzas at my recommendation and is happy).
About the bank balance - factor in about 25K per quarter for parts and about 10K for labour expenses. This is true for all cars that are of this vintage and price range. Also keep about 1 Lakh aside for 'emergencies'. Insurance will be about 20K per year.
torquecurve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 10:20   #92
BHPian

Hello everyone. need some urgent advice.

I am getting a 2016 skoda superb LK 2.0 TDI AT, 30000 kms run car at around 20 lakhs from a 2nd owner.

Two questions.

1) Is it a good price?

2) Should i go for a diesel auto now that diesel cars from this brand are stopped. How about the service and mantainence issues and spare part availibilities?

Looking forward to a quick response.
Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 22:27   #93
BHPian

About to revive this old thread as I need advice on buying Pre-owned Superb.

I'm looking to buy a pre-owned Superb and got connected with a used car dealer in Pune who has a huge inventory of Superb with the combinations like Petrol MT/DSG and Diesel MT/DSG. He claims that he buy these cars directly from Skoda (don't know how genuine the claim is though). All these cars are 2010-11 manufactured with a mileage of around 50-70K Kms and in good condition. Yet to inspect and test drive any cars.

My requirement is that car should be Fun-to-drive, doesn't matter if it's Petrol/Diesel or MT/DSG. I know 1.8 L TSI with DSG is Fun to drive but not sure about 2.0 L Diesel with MT/DSG. Can anyone please provide any inputs?

I know buying a used Superb with DSG issues is a Gamble however it's a calculated risk which I'm willing to take.

Thanks
VJ
Old 2nd April 2021, 14:19   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
About to revive this old thread as I need advice on buying Pre-owned Superb.

I'm looking to buy a pre-owned Superb and got connected with a used car dealer in Pune who has a huge inventory of Superb with the combinations like Petrol MT/DSG and Diesel MT/DSG. He claims that he buy these cars directly from Skoda (don't know how genuine the claim is though). All these cars are 2010-11 manufactured with a mileage of around 50-70K Kms and in good condition. Yet to inspect and test drive any cars.

My requirement is that car should be Fun-to-drive, doesn't matter if it's Petrol/Diesel or MT/DSG. I know 1.8 L TSI with DSG is Fun to drive but not sure about 2.0 L Diesel with MT/DSG. Can anyone please provide any inputs?

I know buying a used Superb with DSG issues is a Gamble however it's a calculated risk which I'm willing to take.

Thanks
VJ

Well, being a Skoda Superb owner, the 1.8TSI DSG, especially the 2010-2011-2012, are prone to serious issues the like of which I'm listing below, please note these have been my experiences over the years, other owners may have had different issues or none at all.

Had a DSG failure in the 3rd year of ownership and thereafter in the 5th year, both replaced under goodwill warranty by Skoda.

Sunroof issues, 3rd year onwards, water filling up in the tyre store well, front seats and rear seats floors, each year thereafter same issues, needed to have the rain water pipes cleaned out.

Sensor errors, mostly in monsoons, please look out for all these issues, if your considering the older models. I believe the diesels have had lesser issues especially with the DSG box.

In addition these cars would be out of warranty, the car is amazing aside of these issues that I have experienced. Good luck
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 22:42   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
Well, being a Skoda Superb owner, the 1.8TSI DSG, especially the 2010-2011-2012, are prone to serious issues the like of which I'm listing below, please note these have been my experiences over the years, other owners may have had different issues or none at all.

Had a DSG failure in the 3rd year of ownership and thereafter in the 5th year, both replaced under goodwill warranty by Skoda.

Sunroof issues, 3rd year onwards, water filling up in the tyre store well, front seats and rear seats floors, each year thereafter same issues, needed to have the rain water pipes cleaned out.

Sensor errors, mostly in monsoons, please look out for all these issues, if your considering the older models. I believe the diesels have had lesser issues especially with the DSG box.

In addition these cars would be out of warranty, the car is amazing aside of these issues that I have experienced. Good luck
That is really scary

I was looking to buy Kodiaq when it gets launched later this year. Is Skoda quality still so bad and unreliable? Any thoughts from Skoda owners?
Old 11th April 2021, 21:13   #96
BHPian

For a couple of months, have been pondering buying a car. I generally have a philosophy, if you are buying something, get the best your money can at the budget. So, with my budget of around 6 lakh, I wondered if it would make sense to buy a used D-class sedan over a new hatchback or even a slightly used C-class. And Skoda Superb is the one of the cars I just adore. Every time one passes by, I can't help myself turn my head.

Yes, I am aware being pretty much a luxury car in the Indian market, the maintenance & spares are going to be expensive. But I am generally not worried about it. To me, the reliability is more important and I have read a lot about the notorious DSG on the Skoda 2nd gen. I don't really mind a manual, if anything prefer one so DSG related problems are sorted. I wanted to understand outside of that, if there are any other issues. I am looking something in the range of 40-60k km and would appreciate if the car doesn't need any major repairs under 100,000 km.

So, any existing/past Skoda owners can shed some light on this.
Old 11th April 2021, 21:23   #97
BHPian

Have been pondering over buying a car for couple of months. With my budget of around 6 lakh, I was wondering if it would make sense to buy a used D-class over a new hatchback or compact sedan. I am aware maintenance & spares would be expensive, but I am not worried about that. Reliability is what is more important to me.

I was looking at Skoda Superb, one of the cars I have adored since childhood. Every time one passes by, I can't help turn my head. I was interested in the 2nd gen Superb, most of them fit the budget. However, wanted to understand if there are any issues in the car aside the DSG. I am planning to buy a manual, so DSG issues don't bother me. I am looking at picking cars in the 50-60k km range, so I would appreciate if there are no major repairs until 100,000 km. Moreover, I am aware Skoda's service is vastly improved from a decade ago, still not the best, but not the worst either. Horror stories are common in the Hyundai/Maruti/Kia threads as well, so it's down to your luck.

Any existing/past Skoda owners who could shed some light on the reliability of Skodas in general, especially 2nd gen Superb?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks