Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2014, 10:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a Used Skoda Superb (2nd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
Hahaha, what on EARTH are you doing driving 500kms a day in MUMBAI!?
Haha, took the delivery post servicing, cancelled the flight tickets and drove it to Banglore and back! Highway worthiness checked!
Old 10th December 2014, 16:28   #47
BHPian

I was wondering what does it cost to repair DSG failure in Superb?
Old 15th March 2015, 12:21   #48
BHPian

A quick update on my purchase.

Two months after I bought the car the DSG failed in April 2014. I left the car at Tafe Skoda and i didn't even ask anyone at the dealership for replacement under warranty. The car being a 2011 model it was out of warranty, also Skoda once already replaced the clutch pack under "goodwill warranty" after the warranty period expired. I was mentally prepared to pay 1.5lakhs for a new mechatronic uint. But to my surprise the service advisor called me 3 weeks later and said the car is ready and the entire work is done free of cost.

Contrary to what I read and heard I find Skoda's after sale service to be good. Apart from the DSG work I have visited Skoda service centres few more times for some small problems. They always attended to problems to my satisfaction. May be I am used to far worse service experiences (Ford and the Mondeo). But i would like to believe that Skoda have improved thier service network. I would be happy to buy another Skoda product when the need arises.
novice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 11:17   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning on getting a Superb, and have 2 cars at the moment from a person I know.

1st being a 2010 1.8MT TSi and the 2nd a 2011 1.8AT TSi.
Both have 50k kms on the odo and are the Elegance variants.

- The Manual Superb has a fair bit of usage seen on the interiors,rest is in perfect condition mechanically barring a few missing logos and emblems.

- The Auto has absolutely NOTHING wrong with it,and is in showroom condition, however the DSG is what worries me, are there any problems seen/heard on the Petrol+DSG combo?

The Auto is only a lac more than the Manual, so unless there's any DSG issue seen on these cars, I don't mind the auto.

Can any Skoda expert help me with deciding which one to go with?

Also, an insight into service costs and general maintenance prices would be appreciated.

TIA!
Old 5th June 2015, 12:50   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
Planning on getting a Superb, and have 2 cars at the moment from a person I know.

1st being a 2010 1.8MT TSi and the 2nd a 2011 1.8AT TSi.
Both have 50k kms on the odo and are the Elegance variants.
TIA!
Please consider the 1.8 TSI MT
  • The interiors can be given a 3M treatment and the difference would be huge.
  • Logos can be purachased through ebay at a cheaper rate
IMO both the above things are far more easier to achieve than getting stuck up at highway with a mechatronics failure.
Plus you get a 1.8 TSi engine with MT which is a hoot to drive (I had a Laura 1.8 Tsi MT)

MT is 1L cheaper.
Save it for
  • A nice tyre upgrade
  • Future service bills at 60k kms
  • Suspension overhaul (if needed)
  • Audio upgrade (if required)
  • Fuel & Insurance bills
For each regular service you can look at around Rs.15-18k

Hope this helps!

Last edited by mikon : 5th June 2015 at 12:54. Reason: Adding more information
mikon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 12:01   #51
BHPian

Hello Friends
Coming back and posting on team bhp after so long. Apologies for the same. But i do feel a bit nostalgic, feels weird to post using phone though, love the people here my hello to GTO and other members, heard about sam felt terrible may god bless his soul.

Anyway i have had excellent ownership of my Fiat grande Punto diesel which has done around 56k kms since nov 2009. I still plan to keep it. Was planning on purchasing a little used honda city auto until a close relative got skoda superb 2011 tsi AT 25K run for around 10.5lacs.

It was then The skoda bug hit me as it is i have always loved european cars, i tried hard to stay away read about its DSG issue and have done through reasearch and now know that trouble free ownership of skoda is rare. Now what i couldnt find anywhere is that how much can these trouble cost me? I know annual service costs around 10k each.

How much should following failure cost to repair
Mechatronic failure
Complete gearbox failure
Anyother failure thats common

I am looking for a superb 2012 model max 35k on odo, now how much should such a car in good condition cost me?

Alternatively i am also considering Jetta but i think it has 1.4 petrol engine which didnt have AT option also I feel its going to be too underpowered. My running is mostly city and within 7k - 10k annually. So should i consider diesel jetta AT. If yes then at what price?

Its certain I want to buy segment D but without shelling out alot. As a last option I ll buy any good condition city automatics. But wont be too happy with the purchase. So i would request fellow members to help me narrow down on my options.
Old 17th July 2015, 13:06   #52
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
a close relative got skoda superb 2011 tsi AT 25K run for around 10.5lacs.

It was then The skoda bug hit me as it is i have always loved european cars, i tried hard to stay away read about its DSG issue and have done through reasearch and now know that trouble free ownership of skoda is rare. Now what i couldnt find anywhere is that how much can these trouble cost me? I know annual service costs around 10k each.

How much should following failure cost to repair
Mechatronic failure
Complete gearbox failure
Anyother failure thats common

I am looking for a superb 2012 model max 35k on odo, now how much should such a car in good condition cost me?

Alternatively i am also considering Jetta but i think it has 1.4 petrol engine which didnt have AT option also I feel its going to be too underpowered. My running is mostly city and within 7k - 10k annually. So should i consider diesel jetta AT. If yes then at what price?

Its certain I want to buy segment D but without shelling out alot. As a last option I ll buy any good condition city automatics. But wont be too happy with the purchase. So i would request fellow members to help me narrow down on my options.
The annual full service is now close to 15K rather than 10K.

Mechatronic Unit is about Rs. 1.5L - But first an attempt should be made to disassemble and reassemble the same with change in oil to correct oil. This by itself cause the unit to again start working.

The 7 speed petrol unit is more problematic than the 6 speed diesel unit.

Compressor is about 75K at the authorized centre and about 35K outside.

The EGR is about 7-10K

The Throttle body is about 30K.

The DMF Flywheel + associated bearings is about 45K.

The Half Axel (Front) either side is each about 35K.

The Sunroof about 1L.

These are the usual suspects.

You are a real old member welcome back.

A Superb Petrol of 2012 should be about 9L and the Diesel about 1L more. Initial quotes are likely to be 1L more that this. Also if the vehicle is just out of the max 4 year warranty or of 2011 you can save another 1-1.5L.

Being in warranty for another 6 months will add upto 1L to the cost and vice versa.

Petrol MT and Diesel AT are what I would consider. I feel the Superb is a better option than the Jetta buying preowned.

Factor in 1.5L for maintenance in first 18 months and buy confidently. The depreciation due to perceived issues is much more than the actual cost of resolving any issues.
ACM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 13:35   #53
BHPian

very well said and explained. while preowned superb provides more VFM, i would still suggest going for preowned Jetta diesel. Primary reason is the owning and maintaining costs considering your running, less than 10K. From my recent experiences in finding a well maintained jetta in a preowned market for a friend, i learned that the depreciation is higher as you go up the segment, and so are the maintenance costs. I am not going to start a comparison between jetta and superb here but making a practical approach to a decision. I would be more comfortable maneuvering jetta than superb in city and any dents and repairs will be cheap compared to that of a superb.

ultimately, go with your heart.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 00:55   #54
BHPian

Thanks alot for pointers ACM and Mission_pgpx

Actually for 2012 used superb tsi AT in dehi a few dealers that i traced through OLX are asking close to 13L which i feel is atleast 3L high. Hence still looking. Plus a very close relative also suggested to look for diesel instead of petrol. So i am Looking for a genuine seller. Certainly ACM s advice will help me bargain.

I cant think of anyother car at the moment other than superb. Jetta is close second but it looks ventoish from certain views hence a bit sceptical but nevertheless its far better than my third option Hond City AT.

A friend suggested me to buy new Eco sport and i was of opinion why buy then better that I drive around in punto then its serving me great. But he strongly suggests a tests drive.

But heart is set on Skoda Superb which honestly is a bit out of reach for me. But given i get good car at 9L i can then easily manage its repair cost as well. Wish me luck guys, this will be my first car bought with my own money not my fathers and a first luxury car for us.

PS Can anyone point me to skoda superb 2nd gen and Jetta review thread by team bhp cant find the same searched alot.

ACM : You wont believe i used to love being here but around 2010 everything i did at team-bhp turned into a fraction. Ofcourse i must be wrong somewhere. Then one day i was banned for a few days and it broke my heart thats why i felt not needed and left. But am much mature now so back with a bang.

Last edited by somebodystopme : 18th July 2015 at 01:06.
somebodystopme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 23:49   #55
BHPian

Update to my last post.
Finally found a 15K Run Superb Elegance petrol AT at price point of 12.2L after all negotiations, the car looks and drives fairly well. Paid some token money and booked the car, taking it to Skoda tomorrow for detailed check up. Hoping all turns out great.
Old 8th August 2015, 01:29   #56
BHPian

I know this my third post in a row. But I finally got my superb today and couldn't control my excitement. Its an amazing car and am still getting hang of all its features.
I am facing a little trouble with keyless entry feature. It seems to switch on all parking lights and xenons on upon touching the door handle but doesnt unlock the door. I think i need to fiddle with the settings a little more.
Otherwise love everybit about the car. I have set home coming and leaving lights to on. I wanted to know if it ll affect life of xenon headlights in anyway and would appreciate any other advice superb owners would want to pass on. So i can have trouble free experience with this beauty.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on buying a Used Skoda Superb (2nd-gen)-image.jpg  

Last edited by somebodystopme : 8th August 2015 at 01:31.
somebodystopme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 08:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks

I have similar choice to make & I need to hear your opinions.

My Innova (2007, 2.2 L kms) is towards the end of its life and I have an opportunity to buy a Skoda Superb MT, Diesel, 2nd gen, 2011. 60k kms. The price is good & is acceptable to me. I am buying it from a known person and know the vehicle history very well.

I plan to sell the Innova and take the Superb. About a year later (end 2016) sell my current Duster (2014) (Currently at 40k. Would have done about 80k km by that time) and buy the new Innova. Does that sound sensible? Or do you guys think I should skip the Superb & buy the new innova directly

Questions I have are as follows:

- Is buying a 4yr old Superb worth it, however good the price? Will I have a trouble free car (I maintain my cars very regularly) for the next 3-4 years?
- Can I rely on the car for the long distance travel for another 4 years (8/9 years life)?
- My feeling is that luxury cars start giving maintenance issues after around 5 years. What kind maintenance budget should I plan for, for the next 3-4 years
- Any specific issues I need to worry about?

Thanks a lot.
Old 27th October 2015, 08:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on potential superb purchase. A car that made me buy a sedan over a SUV.

Quote:
The dealer told me that the DSG was replaced few months back. What are the chances of it failing again, say in the next two years? Did anyone face this problem multiple times?
The DSG failure is mostly mechatronics and they cost a bomb to replace. There is no specific life that one can guarantee.

On the other hand the manual car would be great but beats the purpose of buying that Superb.

Just be prepared for the worst with that additional budget and invest that budget in some good returns options for when you dont need them atleast your money is growing and when you need them you got some interest over your principal.

Skoda service is not so great and in Bangalore you need to find the right guy. I have a feeling the DSG failure is more heat related and you may escape without a problem in Bangalore weather. But thats my take
Old 5th November 2015, 09:58   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Hi folks

I have similar choice to make & I need to hear your opinions.

My Innova (2007, 2.2 L kms) is towards the end of its life and I have an opportunity to buy a Skoda Superb MT, Diesel, 2nd gen, 2011. 60k kms. The price is good & is acceptable to me. I am buying it from a known person and know the vehicle history very well.

I plan to sell the Innova and take the Superb. About a year later (end 2016) sell my current Duster (2014) (Currently at 40k. Would have done about 80k km by that time) and buy the new Innova. Does that sound sensible? Or do you guys think I should skip the Superb & buy the new innova directly

Questions I have are as follows:

- Is buying a 4yr old Superb worth it, however good the price? Will I have a trouble free car (I maintain my cars very regularly) for the next 3-4 years?
- Can I rely on the car for the long distance travel for another 4 years (8/9 years life)?
- My feeling is that luxury cars start giving maintenance issues after around 5 years. What kind maintenance budget should I plan for, for the next 3-4 years
- Any specific issues I need to worry about?

Thanks a lot.

I bought my used superb 2012-13 model elegance at petrol 4 months back and till date touch wood have no issues particularly because of the car. It all boils down to the how sweet deal you are getting. IMO you can bargain alot. But remember pre 2011-12 models had lot of AC problems, my superbs AC though chills the crap out of me. All in all i am pretty satisfied with my purchase, Though i paid a little more than the market value since car was run just 15K kms. Best of luck. Keep us updated.

Last edited by somebodystopme : 5th November 2015 at 09:59.
somebodystopme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 12:25   #60
BHPian

Hello guys,
I am planning to buy a pre owned 2014 model superb. Its a diesel automatic variant and has been driven for around 23000 kms. I haven't seen the car in person yet and not even contacted the seller yet, since i found this ad online. Now I am a bit confused since investing in skoda, I personally feel, is a risky affair and can result in lots of money being invested in maintenance bills. Can any one of the existing superb owners help me with the following questions.
How is the long term performance of the car ?
Comments on the DSG box for long term ?
Since the car will see a lot of highways, is it trustworthy ?
I had a 2007 model superb and had a very bitter experience with it. So i am a bit apprehensive, has skoda improved over time or is it the same story ?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks