Team-BHP - Advice on buying a Used Skoda Superb (2nd-gen)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Advice on buying a Used Skoda Superb (2nd-gen) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/148070-advice-buying-used-skoda-superb-2nd-gen.html)

Hello people,
I'm planning to upgrade from a Civic 1.8 V-MT to a Superb AT.
Really sick of the bumper to bumper traffic in Delhi and the power delivery at low RPMs. I thought I would never go for an automatic but then I drove my friend's Polo GTI and the AT just makes life so much more easier.

I have seen couple of cars, one has got my attention.

It's a 2011 1.8 TSI AT
Silverish Grey color
Clocked around 41K Kms
Asking price: 10.50 lacs

Overall condition is very good, the gear shift is flawless (super smooth) and the car seems really tight. The owner has told me that Mechatronics was replaced a while back.

I would need your help in making a definitive call on going ahead with the purchase.

1. Is 41K nothing<1/4 life<1/2 life for a Skoda engine
2. Does the 2011 model have the DSG failure issue. Since the same has been replaced does it mean peace of mind.
3. What is the average cost of a regular service after every 15k kms
4. What are the absolute essential checks (WRT Superb) I should do before committing?

An early reply from the team would be a huge help as i intend to close the deal this weekend.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Now before everyone jumps in and says avoid the DSG, let me say I think it will be a good buy, and that you have scope for lowering the price further. I think 9.5 would be the perfect price.

Do check up on the service history, as to when and at what KMs the mechatronic was replaced. Check if the car has been serviced at the proper times. Also see if it was driver or owner driven, generally the drivers tend to stay in D even at long stops which heats up the transmission.

1) 41k is nothing, it will run perfectly for a long time. Also check how often the oil has had to be topped up in the TSI engine.

2) There have been cases where it has failed twice, but I think that was with initial batches and some cars used very roughly. Should not be an issue IMO. Just put it into N after 5 seconds of stopping to not give the DSG a chance to heat up.

3) Expect the service cost every year to be around 10k just for the scheduled maintenance. If parts have to be changed it will go up a lot.

4) Take it to a Skoda dealer, ask them to have a look at the condition and see if anything needs to be done. Also get it scanned by the VAS and see yourself for any error codes.

+ 1 to what Akshay state

1: Make sure it has had the transmission oil changed to mineral oil.
2: Keep the Rs 1 lakh negotiated off for any potential transmission issues but be aware that you will need to spend on new clutch plates + DMF flywheel eventually
3: Beyond that, the car is reliable, 3000+ taxi drivers in Europe can't be wrong

Blacknebula as you are already aware of the DSG issues with this particular model of the car, I ditto what akshay has said. Kindly follow all his points and you should be good to go.

Just to add -
1. 41K is nothing for a well maintained 1.8TSI engine. Should easily last you 2~2.5L kms with proper maintenance.
2. Yes, it has. Replacement cannot guarantee future failures.
3. About 7~10k
4. Check whether the car's condition/interiors matches the odo. Check the battery gravity, tyre condition, DSG replacement data from the dealer, rear double boot opening should be smooth in both single and double mode, air conditioning was a issue in pre-2012 models, besides the normal checks.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Is there any way of checking if features like Traction Control, ABS, ESp et al. are all working properly or not?
Can anyone recommend a good Skoda A.S.S. in Delhi where I can take the vehicle for all the check.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacknebula (Post 3372425)
Thanks for the advice guys.
Is there any way of checking if features like Traction Control, ABS, ESp et al. are all working properly or not?
Thanks.

If you don't see the instrument cluster light up like a Christmas tree, it should be all good :)

You may also like to get a full VAG scan done before handing the money to check out any errors. This can be done at any dealership or any competent workshop having the equipment.

Hello Everyone. I am looking to replace my daily drive, the Mondeo Duratec which has been in service for the last six years. I have shortlisted a Superb and an Accord. The Superb has everything that I would want in a car except RWD and may be a bigger engine. The Accord on the other hand has a V6. I want a car that is fast and handle well when the enthusiast in me is in the mood for some fun; hmm well may be a lot of fun. I know there are many smaller cars that would out handle these two but I like big fast cars :)

I have driven a Superb, I know fairly well what to expect from a Superb. But I have never driven a V6 let alone the Accord V6. I heard good things about 2007 Accord V6 but I don't know how fast and good is it when compared against the Superb ignoring all creature comforts that the Superb offers.

Things that scare me away from...
Skoda - DSG
Accord - Annoying rattles that is the norm for a Jap car after 5+Yrs and the fuel economy.

I would need some advice from TBHP experts on these aspects...
What is the cost to replace a DSG gearbox?
How low can be Accord V6's fuel economy, say for a drive on ORR in Bangalore? The Mondeo gives me 6.3 in Bangalore city.
Which one is the better suited for spirited driving (both speed and handling)?

Any help/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

PS: Superb has 28K Kms on the odo and price quoted is 13L; Accord has 50K Kms and price quoted is 5L

Unless you are willing to change the shocks and brake pads to aftermarket ones on the Accord, don't even consider it. The stock suspension is boat like, and the brakes have a lot of fade.

Now comparing to the Superb, if you were to do up the suspension and brakes (about 50-60k for it) of the Accord, then the handling would be similar for both, the Superb may have a slight edge, while the high speed stability is the same but the outside noise on the Accord is higher. Braking too is similar with the upgraded pads on the Accord, but the steering feel of the Accord is leagues ahead. The DSG is superior to the 5 speed a/t of the Accord, but that doesn't mean the Accords gearshift is that bad - Its fine flat out, and eager to downshift.

Coming to the engines, yes the Superb has better lower end torque, but believe me it won't excite you like the Accord revving to 7k rpm.

Now its upto you. Also look for a used Superb V6, that is one great car.

Thanks Akshay. One thing that bothers me about the Accord is the typical Japanese light build quality. Unlike European built cars, the Japs rattle lot more. I currently own a Mondeo and a Corolla, the former being older than the later both in terms mileage and age. But the Mondeo is still holding good, not a single rattle can be heard even on rough roads. Well, I don't even want to talk about the Corolla.

I would like to know how well the Accord fares when it comes to aging?

The build quality isn't as solid as the Superb, but its actually better than the Citys and Civics by a fair margin. Another thing is the Superb also has paddle shifts, but on the DSG you can't do any mods while on the Accord you can do an intake and exhaust maybe even more without any issue.

Well strictly speaking, under stock condition, I would recommend the Superb. It is more dynamically adept and with the light 1.8 tsi motor, it has better weight distribution too. However, since neither of these cars are outright enthusiasts motors, I can say the same for an Accord with upgraded suspension and brakes just as Akshay has.

Knowing that you haven't picked a Laura vrs, tells me you will be more satisfied with an Accord that has decent dynamic capabilities that come in the form of upgraded suspension and brakes, and a stonking motor :D So there it is: unless you don't want to modify your car, the V6 Accord is the one for you :)

Advice to someone buying a used Superb is the same as when buying any high-end European car.

These are very complex machines, electronically & mechanically, and the quality control is very inconsistent. Things can and will go wrong. Whether they do at 30,000 kms or 60,000 kms depends on your luck, but trouble-free ownership experiences of 75,000 - 100,000 kms are far and few between. For every 2 owners of the E-Class or 5-Series who have had reliable service, there are 5 - 7 more who suffered problems & breakdowns. Just refer to my C-Class thread, Ajmat's vRS (God bless his DIY skills), Sahil's Superb experience etc. etc.

It's important to know what you are getting into and are prepared for the same. Always best to buy a European luxury barge when you have the extra time & $$$ budgeted for. A good independent shop & after-market source for parts is a must-have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by novice (Post 3372788)
I am looking to replace my daily drive, the Mondeo Duratec which has been in service for the last six years. I have shortlisted a Superb and an Accord.

Doubt you'll be satisfied with an Accord after living with the Mondeo. Perhaps, you should look at a Laura TSI instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3373044)

Doubt you'll be satisfied with an Accord after living with the Mondeo. Perhaps, you should look at a Laura TSI instead.

The gods are smiling

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...da/Laura.html/

Thanks GTO and Ajmat. After having used to acres of space in the Mondeo for last 6 years the Laura feels little too small for my liking. Also read somewhere that the Superb handles better than the Laura. I am kind of sold on the Superb at the moment, I really need to find strong reasons not to buy one.

Yes, European cars are unreliable. The Mondeo had tested my patience, so I think I have some experience in that area. But what bothers me the most is the thought of getting stranded on a highway with the family due to DSG failure or other such serious problems.

The dealer told me that the DSG was replaced few months back. What are the chances of it failing again, say in the next two years? Did anyone face this problem multiple times?

Also how good is a manual Superb compared to the DSG one? There is an MT on offer that is pretty much a brand new car but comes at a premium.

Thanks.