Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 6th July 2018, 11:12   #31
BHPian

Default Re: 20+ Lakh car without leather seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Elantra 2.0S is leather free if they let me change to Michelin (vegan) tyres
Why do you need the dealer to approve your tire change? Take the car directly from the dealer to the tire shop and get them changed. Or ask the dealer to take it to the shop and get it changed before delivery.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 11:18   #32
BHPian

Quote:
I see this discussion can only go downhill from here - so lets leave it at that.
And I have made my choice.
What I want from the forum here is a list of cars within the 30L budget. The list is much smaller than I thought :(
Since you are not tight on budget, why dont you pay a visit to mini cooper. With the custom approach they have, I am optimistic that they would have a configuration which will suit you. Also a Mini is leagues ahead of Toyotas in Brand so the upgrade will really feel like one. I am sure you wont feel like an upgrade if you move from a Honda to a Fortuner / Innova in the interior or ride department.
2000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 11:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Since you are not tight on budget, why dont you pay a visit to mini cooper. With the custom approach they have, I am optimistic that they would have a configuration which will suit you. Also a Mini is leagues ahead of Toyotas in Brand so the upgrade will really feel like one. I am sure you wont feel like an upgrade if you move from a Honda to a Fortuner / Innova in the interior or ride department.
Costs way way more than 30 lacs when all options are added and road tax/insurance etc are accounted for!
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 11:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Do not neglect safety in your quest for no leather ie looking for lower variants which skimp on safety equipment. Check with dealers and manufacturers if they can customise for you.

For starters, Mercedes does not use leather in any of the models upto the E class I believe it is faux leather. Please check with the dealers.
Arjun Reddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 11:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Costs way way more than 30 lacs when all options are added and road tax/insurance etc are accounted for!
Yes, hence the first line

With the budget constraints, I think Corolla had a VAT model in the earlier generation with Swede fabric seats. Dont know if they have that option currently.

I personally like the fabric seats seats my Civic SMT version had. They age well unlike the leather seats. I am not a VEGAN but leather smell really makes me feel pukish.
2000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 12:19   #36
BHPian

Quote:
What I want from the forum here is a list of cars within the 30L budget. The list is much smaller than I thought :(
How about the Hexa? Definitely comes with leatherette seats. The steering is claimed to be leather wrapped, but then again, may not be real leather.

Last edited by SCORPION : 6th July 2018 at 12:34.
SCORPION is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 08:59   #37
BHPian

Thank you for the invaluable insights! Cant stretch beyond early 30s - so a bunch of the premium ones are ruled out. Tesla now makes vegan cars but no clue when they will launch here and also the likely cost would be in excess of 50L.

We have decided to wait for Civic and pray that they indeed provide all the safety (ESC, Traction Control, all disc) options in the vegan variants as well.

Family has started liking it, especially the white one already!
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 12:42   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Just for the record, not every 30L below car is non genuine leather. The Fortuner, Endeavour, Altis, City etc all have leather. While some do a combination of leather and fake leather to save cost, which they call "touch" leather. Which basically is a concept that everything you touch and sit on is leather and other things such as the back part of the seat or bottom portion are with the exact same color and texture but fake leather. I think this is a fair cost cutting to be honest since it doesnt take way from the premiumness.

However, no Mercedes model made in India besides the S-class has genuine leather! Rest all have a very high quality of Leatherette which looks and feels like genuine leather.
The CBU models might have leather but then again those are all around 1cr

BMW and Audi on the other hand are not as cheap. They offer leather on most of their models 3 series and above.

Anyone looking for a vegan car should look out for the word "Leatherette"

Here is some more info on Leather v/s Leatherette: https://www.sohoconcept.com/blog/ite...the-difference

Last edited by Sahil : 7th July 2018 at 12:45.
Sahil is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 12:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Just for the record, not every 30L below car is non genuine leather. The Fortuner, Endeavour, Altis, City etc all have leather. While some do a combination of leather and fake leather to save cost, which they call "touch" leather. Which basically is a concept that everything you touch and sit on is leather and other things such as the back part of the seat or bottom portion are with the exact same color and texture but fake leather. I think this is a fair cost cutting to be honest since it doesnt take way from the premiumness.

However, no Mercedes model made in India besides the S-class has genuine leather! Rest all have a very high quality of Leatherette which looks and feels like genuine leather.
The CBU models might have leather but then again those are all around 1cr

BMW and Audi on the other hand are not as cheap. They offer leather on most of their models 3 series and above.

Anyone looking for a vegan car should look out for the word "Leatherette"

Here is some more info on Leather v/s Leatherette: https://www.sohoconcept.com/blog/ite...the-difference
Hey Sahil, are you sure are the merc models with leatherette? The new e-class is also with leatherette seats?

Any idea about F-pace and Volvo S90/XC60?

I have called TD today, let me check with them. Usually sales person does not have the right info and usually their response is that it comes with genuine leather.

Last edited by manson : 17th December 2018 at 20:17. Reason: Typo.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 14:49   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Hey Sahil, are you sure are the merc models with leatherette ? The new e-class is also with leatherette seats ?
Yes and yes.You can verify from the spec sheet. Don't fall for the fancy words they mention to trick you to believe it's leather.

Although I must say the light beige leatherette seats in my CLA are much easier to maintain than the Nappa leather seats in my S. The latter are dirt magnets.

Last edited by manson : 17th December 2018 at 20:17. Reason: Typo.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 15:51   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes and yes. maintain than the Nappa leather seats in my S. The latter are dirty magnets.
Correct, MB India mostly uses synthetic leather.

Sahil- pick this stuff from 3M store. Although they are not supposed to sell this but will give if you are regular.
Attached Thumbnails
20+ Lakh car without leather seats?-01384e5ea7954695a1844b448849c615.jpeg  

Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 11:24   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Sahil- pick this stuff from 3M store. Although they are not supposed to sell this but will give if you are regular.
Thanks! You can also buy it easily on Amazon India: https://www.amazon.in/3M-Interior-Cl...m+car+interior

Have you been using this for carpets and leather seats too? Not sure if these are good for leather

For leather I use: https://www.amazon.in/Greenshield-Co...=leather+wipes
My lazy drivers find this much easier to use and throw. 2-3 Wipes per car is good if you do it ever fortnight. This more a maintenance option, might not work for hard stains or damage control.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2018, 13:04   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you been using this for carpets and leather seats too? Not sure if these are good for leather

This more a maintenance option, might not work for hard stains or damage control.
Yes, we use regularly on the leather. It works very well. Wipes are mostly water and some soap combination or sort and work if in hurry.

Do order these from Amazon and you should like the results.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote