Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2014, 11:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

20+ Lakh car without leather seats?

One of my seniors asked to me for this advice. He wants to buy a sedan/SUV in 20-30L budget, will be always chauffeured, petrol diesel both ok.

The main requirement is the vehicle should not have leather seats, very particular after this so its rather difficult to select as none of the models in this range give option to configure these options and most of them have leather seat.

They had almost selected fortuner but because of leather it was cancelled.

I have send mail to Skoda if they can configure Superb without leather, waiting for their reply. New octavia comes with fabric seats but only in active variant and many features are missing in that

PS: toyota dealership said they can change the seats but the leather is already used so the purpose of avoiding leather is defeated(ie saving the animals). Very particular about this option.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 22nd February 2014 at 11:48.
Rahulkool is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 12:55   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
One of my seniors asked to me for this advice. He wants to buy a sedan/SUV in 20-30L budget, will be always chauffeured, petrol diesel both ok.

The main requirement is the vehicle should not have leather seats, very particular after this so its rather difficult to select as none of the models in this range give option to configure these options and most of them have leather seat.

They had almost selected fortuner but because of leather it was cancelled.

I have send mail to Skoda if they can configure Superb without leather, waiting for their reply. New octavia comes with fabric seats but only in active variant and many features are missing in that

PS: toyota dealership said they can change the seats but the leather is already used so the purpose of avoiding leather is defeated(ie saving the animals). Very particular about this option.
Can't they just put a seat cover on it. It will hide the leather.

Or just buy the car and have the leather seat covers removed and put fabric on top.

I do not think any manufacturer unless it is DC will do your requirement.
Although I guess it won't hurt to ask. Companies with fast moving stock and an Indian manufacturing will be your best bet.
eq24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 13:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: 20+ Lakh car without leather seats?

So it's because he wants to save the animals huh? Well if your boss is environment friendly he might also want to knock out diesel and SUVs from his list. If your boss is not the type who just has to spend a certain amount as a statement to family and relatives, then tell him to look no further than the Jetta 1.4 TSi Comfortline variant The 1.4 liter petrol motor is really quite good and very efficient for such a big car. The fact that is not a gigantic SUV is another plus for the environment and leatherette seats means that no animals suffered during the cars production and your boss can enjoy not having to worry each time someone spills coke or taps a cigarette by mistake (unless ofcourse, there is another reason for wanting fabric seats?)

Unlike the Octavia, this car comes with a multi-link suspension so it should keep passengers and driver happy, it still comes with anti-lock brakes, brake force distribution, brake assist, stability program, traction control, hill assist and six airbags (gotta respect Volkswagen for giving every variant the same levels of safety kit) Oh and now that it's been refreshed, the car is quite competent in other feature departments too so it does come with climate control, parking sensors and the whole lot. I have actually driven the car and would be perfectly happy to buy it if I were chauffeur driven.

If your boss does go for this, he will also be saving loads of money and that can only be a good thing. So to me it seems like a win-win-win situation

Cheers!
IshaanIan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 13:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Already owns a Jetta, so that is out of equation. I have also suggested grand vitara, which incidentally does not come with leather.
Old 22nd February 2014, 14:19   #5
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2014 at 15:25.
HyperRetard is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd February 2014, 15:20   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 20+ Lakh car without leather seats?

Guess this is because of religious reasons or personal beliefs.

I think the Isuzu MU-7 SUV has a variant with fabric seats. Other premium'ish options include the BMW 1 Series, Force One, Tata Aria & XUV500.

If he's only going to be chauffeured around, why not an Innova with rear captain seats (fabric)? Really can't beat it for comfort.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 16:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Check out the Renault Scala / Nissan Sunny mid models(as they come with fabric seats)

^ though not in the 20L segment but at half the prize they equal comfort / space levels of a Skoda Superb.

Do check them out as they are hard to ignore when you are considering a chauffeur driven car
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 16:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for suggestions, also owns a innova so not really wanted to buy one more, and as far as i have checked even innova top end comes with leather seats. I will suggest for isuzu MU-7, how good is the interior on MU-7 ? its a 7 seater so it will be plus for him.

EDIT - its a sunny replacement hehe

Last edited by Rahulkool : 22nd February 2014 at 16:52.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 18:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Precisely why I bought the City V model and not the VX.

I will also suggest the Aria and the Safari Storme. Big, spacious, powerful and comfortable diesel vehicles. All but the top variant of both of them have fabric seats.

As for the MU7, only one variant and with leather as standard.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 22nd February 2014 at 18:10.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 20:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

How about the Q3s? It doesn't have leather. I don't really know what else to write about it
Akshay1234 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 21:51   #11
Team-BHP Support

Vw Jetta no leather. They use leatherette which is artificial.

BMW X1 They use sensatec again artificial for all variants.

BWM 320d Prestige. Again sensatec and not real leather.

SSangyong Rexton RX5 manual transmission. Fabric seats.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd February 2014 at 21:54.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Already owns a Jetta, so that is out of equation. I have also suggested grand vitara, which incidentally does not come with leather.
Hi, the Grand Vitara has been discontinued and is no longer available. If some dealer is still selling then it has to be an old stock.

Quote:
as far as i have checked even innova top end comes with leather seats.
The top Z variant is almost equal to the V variant, and the leather that is refered as being used is also artificial leather and not the original leather.

Quote:
If he's only going to be chauffeured around, why not an Innova with rear captain seats (fabric)? Really can't beat it for comfort.
GTO clearly mentioned fabric, which means any other variant of Innova except the Z variant.

Quote:
PS: the leather is already used so the purpose of avoiding leather is defeated(ie saving the animals). Very particular about this option.
On a lighter note and with due respect to his sentiments, I am keen to know, is he also averse to wearing leather shoes, a leather belt or keeping a leather wallet.
Old 24th February 2014, 08:59   #13
Team-BHP Support

If I am right, the lower variants of Mercs use ARtex - artificial leather. If I am correct, Mercedes also offer no leather interiors as a special option.

The biggest problem for high end cars are that the side airbags are in the seats so changing the covers is a job no one will dare undertake.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 09:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Well there are plenty of good options listed out here by members, BUT I have a little something to ask; How many cars does you boss own? If he already has a Jetta and a Scala and wishes to be just chauffeured around? Unless he also has a large family, he does know that buying a car with no leather is one way to save the animals but refusing to buy a car when there is no need to do so, is also another good way to do so. It is a step towards protecting the environment and in turn, the animals that live in it too.

So if his requirements are seriously "just another car in the range of 20-30 lakhs" to be driven around in? I see this to be a case of posturing. Or ofcourse his interests might actually be genuine but he hasn't really thought things out (but then it did require some thinking to be a senior employee in a company, im sure).

Respectfully
Ishaan

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th February 2014 at 09:32.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 09:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Unless he also has a large family, he does know that buying a car with no leather is one way to save the animals but refusing to buy a car when there is no need to do so, is also another good way to do so. It is a step towards protecting the environment and in turn, the animals that live in it too.
As stated above it is probably due to religious reasons and one animal in particular than anything to do with Environment.

Regarding the OP's query I also feel that you should go with artificial leather that comes standard with entry level Germans rather then trying to get the car customized.

Last edited by drmohitg : 24th February 2014 at 09:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks