Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 11:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 20+ Lakh car without leather seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
How about the Q3s? It doesn't have leather. I don't really know what else to write about it
Thanks man, will sure suggest this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Vw Jetta no leather. They use leatherette which is artificial.

BMW X1 They use sensatec again artificial for all variants.

BWM 320d Prestige. Again sensatec and not real leather.

SSangyong Rexton RX5 manual transmission. Fabric seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If I am right, the lower variants of Mercs use ARtex - artificial leather. If I am correct, Mercedes also offer no leather interiors as a special option.

The biggest problem for high end cars are that the side airbags are in the seats so changing the covers is a job no one will dare undertake.
Thanks, didn't knew about artificial leathers being used in these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Hi, the Grand Vitara has been discontinued and is no longer available. If some dealer is still selling then it has to be an old stock.

The top Z variant is almost equal to the V variant, and the leather that is refered as being used is also artificial leather and not the original leather.

GTO clearly mentioned fabric, which means any other variant of Innova except the Z variant.

On a lighter note and with due respect to his sentiments, I am keen to know, is he also averse to wearing leather shoes, a leather belt or keeping a leather wallet.
I got a call from maruti and they confirmed GV is available upon booking. Local dealer does not have a TD vehicle tho. No leather, shoes belts or anything :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Well there are plenty of good options listed out here by members, BUT I have a little something to ask; How many cars does you boss own? If he already has a Jetta and a Scala and wishes to be just chauffeured around? Unless he also has a large family, he does know that buying a car with no leather is one way to save the animals but refusing to buy a car when there is no need to do so, is also another good way to do so. It is a step towards protecting the environment and in turn, the animals that live in it too.

So if his requirements are seriously "just another car in the range of 20-30 lakhs" to be driven around in? I see this to be a case of posturing. Or ofcourse his interests might actually be genuine but he hasn't really thought things out (but then it did require some thinking to be a senior employee in a company, im sure).

Respectfully
Ishaan
Its a requirement rather than just another car, not a car enthusiast , a big joint Indian family. This car is a replacement of sunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
As stated above it is probably due to religious reasons and one animal in particular than anything to do with Environment.

Regarding the OP's query I also feel that you should go with artificial leather that comes standard with entry level Germans rather then trying to get the car customized.
Thanks.

Will update the thread once they have decided and booked the car.
Old 24th February 2014, 13:25   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
One of my seniors asked to me for this advice. He wants to buy a sedan/SUV in 20-30L budget, will be always chauffeured, petrol diesel both ok.
The main requirement is the vehicle should not have leather seats, very particular after this so its rather difficult to select as none of the models in this range give option to configure these options and most of them have leather seat.
They had almost selected fortuner but because of leather it was cancelled.
I have send mail to Skoda if they can configure Superb without leather, waiting for their reply. New octavia comes with fabric seats but only in active variant and many features are missing in that
PS: toyota dealership said they can change the seats but the leather is already used so the purpose of avoiding leather is defeated(ie saving the animals). Very particular about this option.
Well, if animal abuse or religious beliefs are the reasons to avoid leather seats, your senior do have few options in the 20 lakhs+ range.

1) VW Jetta Highline – comes with leatherette seats.
2) Mercedes Benz A/B/C Class – Both A and B have man-made Artico leather, and I guess it’s the same with most variants of the C.
3) BMW 3-series/X1 base – comes with Sensatec leather.

All the above three have artificial/synthetic leather seats, just known by different names.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 11:30   #18
BHPian

On a slightly off-topic and lighter note, I was shocked to find that the new Range Rover Sport recently launched in India does not have leather seats on the S model which has an ex-showroom price of 1.09 crore!!!
Old 5th March 2014, 15:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again everyone for help, they have booked a Q3s. I have called few cars for Test drive, wanted to share the experience.

Audi - Did a TD booking on the website for Q3, got a call under 30secs of clicking the submit button. In one call all details taken and TD was confirmed from local dealership. Next day TD car was arranged, wanted to TD A4 also, same was arranged in the same evening. amazing response time from audi, no unwanted calls etc. Although the person came to explain the car was too talkatative.

Merc - Did a booking of TD on the website for C class, got a call after 8-10 hours. Gave all the details including address. Again local dealership called next day asking for address. No this does not end, again the sales person called and asked for address. TD car was arranged on time. Sales person was nice but too many calls following up.

Jaguar - now this is the most interesting, did website TD request, waited 2 days, then i again did the request no call at all !!, searched for local dealership no from the website. 1st call, complete ring no one picks up. 2nd call, it asks for sales of service and i selected sales and then it goes complete ring no one picks up. 3rd call, some girl picks up and transfers to sales, no one picks !!. I think in 7th try i was able to talk to someone. They were least bothered about TD etc, so that was the end of it. I was amazed, how Tata is handling all its dealerships at same level of incompetency !!

Last edited by Rahulkool : 5th March 2014 at 15:38.
Rahulkool is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 20:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Thanks again everyone for help, they have booked a Q3s. I have called few cars for Test drive, wanted to share the experience.

Audi - Did a TD booking on the website for Q3, got a call under 30secs of clicking the submit button. In one call all details taken and TD was confirmed from local dealership. Next day TD car was arranged, wanted to TD A4 also, same was arranged in the same evening. amazing response time from audi, no unwanted calls etc. Although the person came to explain the car was too talkatative.

Merc - Did a booking of TD on the website for C class, got a call after 8-10 hours. Gave all the details including address. Again local dealership called next day asking for address. No this does not end, again the sales person called and asked for address. TD car was arranged on time. Sales person was nice but too many calls following up.

Jaguar - now this is the most interesting, did website TD request, waited 2 days, then i again did the request no call at all !!, searched for local dealership no from the website. 1st call, complete ring no one picks up. 2nd call, it asks for sales of service and i selected sales and then it goes complete ring no one picks up. 3rd call, some girl picks up and transfers to sales, no one picks !!. I think in 7th try i was able to talk to someone. They were least bothered about TD etc, so that was the end of it. I was amazed, how Tata is handling all its dealerships at same level of incompetency !!
No wonder Audi is setting the sales charts on fire. Your post was really an eye opener for me. I should have realized (but did not) that many Indians have religious beliefs that would require non leather interiors.

Wish your boss many miles of safe driving pleasure in the Q3.
Old 9th June 2014, 22:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
No wonder Audi is setting the sales charts on fire. Your post was really an eye opener for me. I should have realized (but did not) that many Indians have religious beliefs that would require non leather interiors.
I personally prefer cloth seats anytime. With the stinginess of most drivers to put the AC in blower 2, it takes ages for the car to cool and the leather adds to sweat in an already hot indian climate.

Even if offered with leather, I might go in for a cloth seat cover on top of it.
Old 5th July 2018, 23:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Friends, do we have a list of cars that have leatherette cars instead of actual animal leather? How can I find out?
My honda city is due for a refresh now (10+ yrs). We would absolutely love to have the City ZX but it has leather seats (and also leather straps on the steering and gear as well). Almost every car has the higher models with leather.

Michelin makes tyres without animal derived stearic acid! This is sorted!!

Am looking for a "jain" car

Budget is upto 30L OTR Bangalore

Last edited by Equus : 5th July 2018 at 23:02.
Equus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 23:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Friends, do we have a list of cars that have leatherette cars instead of actual animal leather? How can I find out?

Am looking for a "jain" car

Budget is upto 30L OTR Bangalore
I don't think any car under 30 lakhs OTR in India comes with pure leather seats, although they claim it is leather. It is actually leatherette - artificial or synthetic leather, or a mix of leather and synthetic leather.

You can make out the difference quite easily. Real leather just feels different. Real leather, because it comes from an animal, will not have perfect graining whereas faux leather will have a definite and artificial pattern since it is man-made using machines. Faux leather feels very plasticky and if you can see the edges anywhere, you will notice a white flannel like material on the other side of faux leather. Plus, the smell of pure leather is unmistakable. Faux leather has a very synthetic odour especially when the vehicle is parked in the sun. In short, if it is real leather, you will know.
SCORPION is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 23:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks mate but a confirmation needed - is this info available anywhere? I really really wanna buy Fortuner!

PS: I don’t buy leather shoes/wallets/anything as well. Almost vegan!
Old 6th July 2018, 00:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate but a confirmation needed - is this info available anywhere? I really really wanna buy Fortuner!

Check the brochures, they do sometimes have it mentioned if the leather is real or fake ( in this price bracket, it most likely would be faux leather unless mentioned).
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 00:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

30 L maybe not enough for Fortuner in Bangalore. Check the GX - Auto variant of Innova. Or even the touring sports in the lower variant. These should be without leather at most of the places.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 00:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, I remember reading somewhere that the Fortuner has a mix of genuine and synthetic leather.

Last edited by SCORPION : 6th July 2018 at 00:58.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 05:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

All Toyota's have a mix of genuine & faux leather :: ruled out
Innova V also has leather on gear lever or steering from the V variant onwards. Family wont approve GX as its too basic.

Ford Endeavour (above my budget but I can stretch) also has Leather mix

Octavia Ambition has fabric seats but leather strapped gear lever or steering :: ruled out

Elantra 2.0S is leather free if they let me change to Michelin (vegan) tyres
Since we also own a Duster, not considering Creta/Compass but they do have good options for folks like me!

Current options in C+ are City V, Verna SX but we are upgrading from City. Perhaps we stick with City V which is both good & bad. Excellent car but way under our current budget & aspiration!!

Hoping Civic gives me something to cheer! Will defer the decision till its launch as our City is doing fantastic as usual and Duster AWD is keeping us planted on the highways.

PS: Removing leather after buying beats the very purpose.

Last edited by Equus : 6th July 2018 at 05:49.
Old 6th July 2018, 10:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Going by your above statement, it appears you buy only synthetic stuff since there is hardly any other organic options when it comes to shoes, belts and wallets that I know of. Now these synthetics are not very environment friendly. The purpose is slightly defeated, don't you think?

It's a vicious circle and a dilemma we all go through.
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 11:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Going by your above statement, it appears you buy only synthetic stuff since there is hardly any other organic options when it comes to shoes, belts and wallets that I know of. Now these synthetics are not very environment friendly. The purpose is slightly defeated, don't you think?

It's a vicious circle and a dilemma we all go through.
I see this discussion can only go downhill from here - so lets leave it at that.
And I have made my choice.
What I want from the forum here is a list of cars within the 30L budget. The list is much smaller than I thought :(
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks