Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 11:16   #1
BHPian

Mercedes B-Class or BMW 1-Series as a daily driver?

Hey folks, looking forward to get a hatchback for grandpa for daily use in city. I have checked out the A and B Class both and found that they are just well suited for our driving conditions. Hardly any turbo lag and the DCT shifts like anything. The reason I'm tilted towards the B more than A is because it has a better headroom and is comparatively more spacious.

However, I'm also considering the 1 series because occasionally he'd be behind the wheel as well and he loves driving. The car will be booked by the first/second week of May. Wanted to know that since the B180 has the SAME engine that's present in the C220, will it be possible to boost the power a little bit because the car is under tuned a lot and sadly no specific tuning boxes or chips are available as globally the B180 gets a different engine altogether.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 13:21   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes B-Class or BMW 1-Series as a daily driver?

The A-Class is the ultimate premium hatchback for city use. Very chuckable, effortless to drive and superb interior quality. Let Grandpa roll in style with the A . He'll surely have other cars available when the need for space arises.

Alternatively, have him take a spin in the Mini Cooper too. He deserves to have some fun!

A-Class Review

Mini Review
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 13:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not also add the V40 in the pool? Its one helluva car and comes loaded with safety features and so many gadgets to play with that you will be amazed. Also the looks are second to none and there is the added exclusivity factor.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 15:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Hey folks, looking forward to get a hatchback for grandpa for daily use in city. I have checked out the A and B Class both and found that they are just well suited for our driving conditions. Hardly any turbo lag and the DCT shifts like anything. The reason I'm tilted towards the B more than A is because it has a better headroom and is comparatively more spacious.

However, I'm also considering the 1 series because occasionally he'd be behind the wheel as well and he loves driving. The car will be booked by the first/second week of May. Wanted to know that since the B180 has the SAME engine that's present in the C220, will it be possible to boost the power a little bit because the car is under tuned a lot and sadly no specific tuning boxes or chips are available as globally the B180 gets a different engine altogether.
The choice entirely depends on the space you need. Seating 4-5, then the B-Class is it. 1-2 with an occasional back seat passenger and the BMW is the better handling, fun vehicle by far.

I actually thought the 7-speed Mercedes gearbox was lazy and slow, compared with the BMW's 8-speed ZF transmission. AFAIK, neither is a DCT. They are torque converter based set ups.

The A-Class, for me, was a major let down. Very cramped interiors and extremely claustrophobic at the back with those massively tall, one-piece front seats. I wasn't particularly sold on the Padmini/Amby-style steering column-mounted gear shift in the A and B either (knocked the car into neutral by accident a couple of times while trying to signal). The B-Class also had a surprisingly hard and uncomfortable ride. The A-Class was fine. Maybe it was differences in tire pressure.

If your grandpa is going to ride mostly in the front either as a passenger or as a driver - then the rear-wheel drive BMW is, IMHO the obvious choice. Rides well and is extremely chuckable.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 16:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The A-Class is the ultimate premium hatchback for city use. Very chuckable, effortless to drive and superb interior quality. Let Grandpa roll in style with the A . He'll surely have other cars available when the need for space arises.

Alternatively, have him take a spin in the Mini Cooper too. He deserves to have some fun!

A-Class Review

Mini Review
Hahaha, he liked the A as well but grandmom said a strict no because of the lower seating position and the slight difficulty she had in deboarding the car so... I'll surely show him the Cooper and the V40 once whenever he's free but don't you think the Tri Star badge and the B-Class styling will suit him more:P For the fun part I'm looking for options to boost up the power on the B Class since it has the same engine as the C220.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why not also add the V40 in the pool? Its one helluva car and comes loaded with safety features and so many gadgets to play with that you will be amazed. Also the looks are second to none and there is the added exclusivity factor.
Will show him the V40 but their service network is not that and heard that they take heck of a time to arrange spares if something goes wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The choice entirely depends on the space you need. Seating 4-5, then the B-Class is it. 1-2 with an occasional back seat passenger and the BMW is the better handling, fun vehicle by far.

I actually thought the 7-speed Mercedes gearbox was lazy and slow, compared with the BMW's 8-speed ZF transmission. AFAIK, neither is a DCT. They are torque converter based set ups.

The A-Class, for me, was a major let down. Very cramped interiors and extremely claustrophobic at the back with those massively tall, one-piece front seats. I wasn't particularly sold on the Padmini/Amby-style steering column-mounted gear shift in the A and B either (knocked the car into neutral by accident a couple of times while trying to signal). The B-Class also had a surprisingly hard and uncomfortable ride. The A-Class was fine. Maybe it was differences in tire pressure.

If your grandpa is going to ride mostly in the front either as a passenger or as a driver - then the rear-wheel drive BMW is, IMHO the obvious choice. Rides well and is extremely chuckable.
The A-Class and B-Class indeed has the 7G-DCT and I found it lightning quick. I own a F30 320d M Sport as well and I can say that both the gear box are quite similar when it comes to eagerness to shift. Was tilting more towards the Merc because we already have 3 BMWs in the family including mine. Will show him the Cooper and the V40 before finalising though.

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 21st April 2014 at 16:18.
Old 21st April 2014, 18:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The A-Class and B-Class indeed has the 7G-DCT and I found it lightning quick.
My bad. The A- and B-Class do have a DCT set up. I was confusing them with the C-Class's 7-speed, which surprisingly is a TC transmission.
From the MB website:
The 7G-TRONIC 7-speed automatic transmission (Petrol Engine) setup includes a new torque converter generator which ensures more dynamic response, greater durability, reduced noise levels and significantly lower fuel consumption.
Old 21st April 2014, 19:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Didn't find these cars very good for everyday use myself. As someone else suggested, my vote would go for the Volvo V40. As for the fun to drive factor, the Mini Cooper makes perfect sense. If at all no one needs all the extra seats, might I suggest waiting for the Fiat 500 Abarth? Perfect little thing to chuck around the city.

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Might I suggest waiting for the Fiat 500 Abarth? Perfect little thing to chuck around the city.

Cheers
Nah not really looking at the Abarth.

Can anybody suggest if it would be possible to boost up the power of the B180 CDI ? It has the exact same motor as the C220 and the 7G-DCT is quite capable as well so now the question is how can this power increment be done without effecting the warranty... Would have loved a tuning box but no specific boxes are there for this thing.
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nah not really looking at the Abarth.

Can anybody suggest if it would be possible to boost up the power of the B180 CDI ? It has the exact same motor as the C220 and the 7G-DCT is quite capable as well so now the question is how can this power increment be done without effecting the warranty... Would have loved a tuning box but no specific boxes are there for this thing.
You most certainly will be able to boost the output from the B180. A remap is ideal. Try Tune-O-Tronics, their brilliant work has been very well documented on this forum by KRYPTONITE. However, technically, this would void the warranty though under normal circumstances, the service center would never be able to find out.
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:33   #10
BHPian

Hello,

I have driven both the B-Class as well as the Mini Countryman.
Both are nice cars but I think the Mini is much better.
Right from the way it drives to the interiors and exteriors, the Mini in my opinion, is a lot better than the Merc.
I don't know about the BMW or the Volvo but I strongly reccomend looking into the Mini
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:43   #11
BHPian

What timing!
I am in the process of writing my ownership review of the Merc B Class which I picked up last month. Forgive me if my views will be a bit biased. I will try and give you the neutral observer's POV.
The A-Class is a great car but it will be slightly tough to get in and out of. Considering you are gonna buy this car for your grandpa he won't appreciate that.
On the other hand the B Class is much easier to get in and out of. It's essentially a mini R Class.
Both cars are however true Mercs. No cost cutting and amazing build quality and materials. Both are CBU's imported from Germany.
The drive is the same for both. Typical Merc, free flowing but isn't a Beemer.
And yes tuning is very much possible. Not sure about warranty claims later on though. Needs more research.

The Beemer is good but it ain't great. The drive is the best but that's where it gets stuck at. The lack of features on the base model might be nagging and tough to live with everyday.

Last edited by veedub89 : 23rd April 2014 at 17:45.
veedub89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 23:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You most certainly will be able to boost the output from the B180. A remap is ideal. Try Tune-O-Tronics, their brilliant work has been very well documented on this forum by KRYPTONITE. However, technically, this would void the warranty though under normal circumstances, the service center would never be able to find out.
Sent them a mail. Awaiting reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Hello,

I have driven both the B-Class as well as the Mini Countryman.
Both are nice cars but I think the Mini is much better.
Right from the way it drives to the interiors and exteriors, the Mini in my opinion, is a lot better than the Merc.
I don't know about the BMW or the Volvo but I strongly reccomend looking into the Mini
Yeah I'm planning to show him the mini before finalising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
What timing!
I am in the process of writing my ownership review of the Merc B Class which I picked up last month. Forgive me if my views will be a bit biased. I will try and give you the neutral observer's POV.
The A-Class is a great car but it will be slightly tough to get in and out of. Considering you are gonna buy this car for your grandpa he won't appreciate that.
On the other hand the B Class is much easier to get in and out of. It's essentially a mini R Class.
Both cars are however true Mercs. No cost cutting and amazing build quality and materials. Both are CBU's imported from Germany.
The drive is the same for both. Typical Merc, free flowing but isn't a Beemer.
And yes tuning is very much possible. Not sure about warranty claims later on though. Needs more research.

The Beemer is good but it ain't great. The drive is the best but that's where it gets stuck at. The lack of features on the base model might be nagging and tough to live with everyday.
First of all congrats on the buy!! Did you get the MY14? Would be great if you can share some pics of it as I have heard that the MY14 cars get different alloys and parking camera. I'm mostly tilted towards the B Class for the reasons you pointed, more space and ease to get in and out though I'll show him the Mini once.
Old 24th April 2014, 00:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Sent them a mail. Awaiting reply.

Yeah I'm planning to show him the mini before finalising.

First of all congrats on the buy!! Did you get the MY14? Would be great if you can share some pics of it as I have heard that the MY14 cars get different alloys and parking camera. I'm mostly tilted towards the B Class for the reasons you pointed, more space and ease to get in and out though I'll show him the Mini once.
Thanks a lot!
No I got the 2013 model. It has no parking cameras/sensors.
I will post my review tomorrow. It will have most of the pictures you need.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 10:39   #14
BHPian

Hi Adi,

I thought of suggesting to try X1 as well as I feel its comparable to B Class.
But I found B-class seating comfort much better than X1 and this could be a big differentiator for your Grandpa.

For a driver, I feel that X1 is certainly a better car than B-Class.
Old 24th April 2014, 10:46   #15
BHPian

I had a chance to drive B-Class yesterday. The ingress and egress is very easy in B-class. As you have already mentioned that your grandma faced difficulty in A-Class. IMO this is an important factor.
I also liked the seat height and position. Not very low as sedans and not too high as SUVs. This helps getting out of the car very easy and ensures there less pressure on your knees. Found the power of B-Class acceptable. Passenger leg room and head room is excellent. Paddle shifts are very useful. I would recommend B-Class for sure. Also the triple star will give a lot of satisfaction to your grandpa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks