Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 21:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

The SA told that the A4 has an 8 speed transmission. I am guessing it is the multitronic CVT and definitely cannot be DSG. How good is it? Shift smoothness is comparable to DSG or as Audi calls it, S-tronic?
Old 21st August 2014, 22:41   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 3 Series vs 3 Series GT vs Volvo S60 vs Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The SA told that the A4 has an 8 speed transmission. I am guessing it is the multitronic CVT and definitely cannot be DSG. How good is it? Shift smoothness is comparable to DSG or as Audi calls it, S-tronic?
If A4 is in consideration, it maybe worth looking at the Q3 as well. Its a slightly newer car compared to the A4, comes with more power, and got the S-tronic DSG box.
Old 21st August 2014, 23:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If A4 is in consideration, it maybe worth looking at the Q3 as well. Its a slightly newer car compared to the A4, comes with more power, and got the S-tronic DSG box.

The A4 we are looking at has 177 bhp and 380 nm of torque and my assumption is that A4 looks richer and has better equipment compared to Q3. Honestly Q3 felt much more cramped up inside, inspite of the beige colour theme.
Old 22nd August 2014, 02:32   #19
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 3 Series vs 3 Series GT vs Volvo S60 vs Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

Having experienced the same combo on the A6 2.0 I can tell you its not bad at all. And its pretty quick too. For sedate driving this will be just fine. But if your brother is an enthusiastic driver who pushes the car the weaknesses of the box and the FWD layout will show. In that case the 3 will be far better.

The 3 will be much more precise and involving to drive. You can check with the Bombay dealers on colour options, I can help you out with that if you want. Also the 3GT may make sense in your case if you want the extra comfort over the 3, and also the extra space and the panoramic sunroof. And in saddle brown the interiors look great.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:42   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 3 Series vs 3 Series GT vs Volvo S60 vs Audi A4

The 3-series trumps the Volvo S60 in performance, space, equipment and service network. Honestly, the S60 diesel is an awful buy at the price. The diesel is terribly mediocre, compared to the T6 AWD variant.

My pick would be the BMW. The A4 is too old (6 years up on the current generation) and I simply don't understand why anyone would buy the Audi when the mechanically-identical Jetta is so much cheaper. There's the new MQB platform Octavia too.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:27   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 3-series trumps the Volvo S60 in performance, space, equipment and service network. Honestly, the S60 diesel is an awful buy at the price. The diesel is terribly mediocre, compared to the T6 AWD variant.
Well I didn't find the S60 that much inferior to the BMW in terms of performance and I had TD the older variant. The D5 variant with its 215 horses and 440 nm of torque should probably leave the BMW behind. Also the Volvo is fairly well kitted, infact IIRC it was loaded with more equipment compared to the 3 series. The interior space too was at par if not better. If one is willing to live with the Volvo brand then the S60 is a serious contender.
Old 22nd August 2014, 23:30   #22
BHPian

Hey Adi !

My father set out to replace his 7 year old Civic and I'm happy to say that we've gone ahead and booked the Audi A4 Premium Edition. The one with 177 BHP engine !

The options were only between the 3 series, A4 and the C-class. My father din't fancy the Mercedes a lot, so it came down to the 3 series and the A4.

I test drove the 3 series and I was really impressed by the car. It drove well, handled well but I found the equipment and comfort to be a bit under par with respect to the A4. The A4 just feels a lot more premium inside.

We test drove the Audi A4 Premium edition and I, personally, was really impressed with the power. The power output is refined and linear. The Audi A4 premium edition also comes with "Drive Select". You can basically choose from "Dynamic" and "Comfort" mode. Comfort mode is the mode that you usually drive in the city. The steering is really light ( much lighter than the 3 I reckon ) and it's a real joy to maneuver around. The "Dynamic" mode stiffens the steering up a bit and it gives you really good confidence on the highways. I drove the car upto 165 km/hr on NICE road and it felt like I was at 120 or something; basically the confidence you get is really reassuring.

We are extremely happy with our choice of getting the A4 Premium Edition. It's got a good engine, loaded with nice equipment and features and it has a sunroof ! We've got plush seats, Drive Select and let's not forget those gorgeous looks. So what if it's an aging model ? She's a looker and a beast. That's what counts.

Don't EVEN consider looking at the base model of the A4 though. I feel it's a complete rip off. You get the 143 bhp engine, which you could get in a Jetta and even more from the new Octavia. And this feature takes the cake; Manual-folding OVRMs. Yup, you read it right. And btw, you pay 36 lacs OTR for the base version. So in a nutshell, complete rip off.

Disclaimer : I am not trying to sway you into buying the A4. I'm just giving you an honest opinion from my point of view as my father has gone ahead and booked the A4.

The 3 series is a brilliant car no doubt. The handling really blew me away. It just din't fit my father's requirements. That's it. Ask your brother to go with what his heart says. Test drive both of them and the others in your consideration. Then take a decision. That'll be the best option.

Cheers !
shoaib3030 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:21   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The D5 variant with its 215 horses and 440 nm of torque should probably leave the BMW behind.
I was talking of the regular diesels. The D5 is 7 - 8 lakhs more expensive, crossing over 50 lakhs in Mumbai.

Quote:
The interior space too was at par if not better.
The S60's rear legroom is even lesser than some C2 segment sedans (link to picture). There's simply no competition with the 3-Series here.
Old 23rd August 2014, 17:12   #24
BHPian

Hey Adi,

I too would go for the Audi A4.

Two years back, I was on the lookout for a new car, had the following options & TD them (likes & dislikes in the bracket)
Mercedes C Class (restricted cabin space; features on other cars better)
BMW 3 Series (great car to drive, but even the top end did not have cruise control)
Audi A4 (overall a great package, engine was not as powerful as its peers, now they have the 177 BHP under the hood)

Then I looked at the VW Passat and did a TD. Eventually landed up buying the Highline DGS. Great car, space wise better than the above three. May not have the appeal of the big three German marquees, but I am very happy with the car. Pity that VW is not selling Passats, the 2015 Passat will only be available next year
Old 23rd August 2014, 18:29   #25
BHPian

Adi - Why wouldn't a Passat be considered? It has the features, more space and at roughly the same budget. Although it has been discontinued, but the dealers may have a Highline in their inventory.

Note, I was scouting for a Trendline but it wasn't available so I booked the Jetta.
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:33   #26
BHPian

Well, The BMW dealers do push you with the colours they have in Stock and can merely say that the factory doesn't have a Darker shade of interiors when you are very particular about dark interiors as most of the cars seems to come with beige interiors.
This was my recent experience when I was shopping for a 5 but I believe Saddle Brown on the 3'er looks equally good to the Black.

Of the Cars you have mentioned I would pick the 3 only if I am gonna drive it but the interior fit and finish is better in the Audi but again it's a very old model. I would look at the 3 GT only if I am concerned about the looks and the exclusivity it offers ; for now. The Volvo on the other hand is a Very " Safe " bet, but only buy if your looking at all the Safety Features available in it.

I have extensively driven all the above mentioned cars and each one of it has it's Pros and Cons so choose whichever car offers you the best satisfaction.

But then again go with what your heart tells

Last edited by #enzowho : 23rd August 2014 at 22:37.
#enzowho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 11:35   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Adi_petrolhead, which car did you & your brother finally buy. Please share that and also any inputs on dealer behaviour, feedback on dealer experience. I am in the long and steady process of evaluating a V40 versus a Q3 for myself and am interested in listening to all experiences on Audi cars and Volvo cars and their dealers in India. Thanks in advance - Narayan
Old 24th August 2014, 11:39   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Adi - Why wouldn't a Passat be considered? It has the features, more space and at roughly the same budget. Although it has been discontinued, but the dealers may have a Highline in their inventory.
Why would you want to spend such a huge sum of money on a car that has been discontinued altogether? You are better off with a Superb/Camry if you wish to buy in that segment.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 12:15   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Adi - Why wouldn't a Passat be considered? It has the features, more space and at roughly the same budget. Although it has been discontinued, but the dealers may have a Highline in their inventory
Passat was a great car and offers so much VFM which can challenge the other German trio which is a class above, at the present generation Passat's launch price in India. I had narrowed my search on the Highline Passat too when it was launched. But a few months down the line the price was hiked so much. Then the next class of the German trio made more sense.

Passat is still definitely a great car but now is not the best time to buy one as they have discontinued the present model in India and a much better model is expected next year.
Old 25th August 2014, 01:33   #30
BHPian

Hey there adi!

The Audi wouldn't be that good an idea because
1) Its an old man, been around for quite some time and due to be replaced.
2) Audi has the highest maintainence out of the big german three.
3) It has a weaker engine than the BMW's, and further more the CVT just doesn't do it justice.
4) Although in city its good, its lacks a little behind in front of the dynamics of the 3 on the highway!

As far as the 3/3-GT go;
A very important point to note here is whether your brother is chauffeur driven or a self driver.

The 3-GT will suit the former better simply because
1) its got more legroom. More than the 5, almost reaching the 7 series territory.
2) the back seat is higher than the 3 sedan making ingress easier. Especially if you have senior citizens in the house as well. Slightly higher ground clearance too if i am not mistaken, please correct me if i am wrong.
3) And it also has a few unique touches to it like the self elevating spoiler (reminds me of the mighty Bugatti Veyron!) just saying.

The 3 sedan is great for self drivers with great dynamics. But than again with the new c-class coming in, BMW might just push in the facelift within a year or 2.

Is the 3-GT worth the extra premium.
If self driven than No.
If chauffeur driven than Yes. But than again u might just get the temptation of pushing it a little more and bringing home the 5?

The Volvo? You can go for that if u want to be the unique guy on the road, or maybe you want to play dashing cars? jokes apart that company builds stong tanks, ahem* i mean cars!

Happy choosing!
Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks