Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 08:10   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW 3 Series vs 3 Series GT vs Volvo S60 vs Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Adi - Why wouldn't a Passat be considered? It has the features, more space and at roughly the same budget. Although it has been discontinued, but the dealers may have a Highline in their inventory.
Dear Airwind,

There are no more new Highline Passats available anywhere in India. My friend wanted one very much and I helped him to scout around, but couldn't find one.

I guess one has to wait for the 2015 model.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 10:36   #32
BHPian

Hi Adi,
I was in the same position a few months back. Having driven a Laura its really difficult to go for an upgrade . IMHO you will not find any of the cars you have mentioned, suitable. Space is the biggest problem after having used the Laura. I had to then upgrade to the E/5/A6/Jag class. Again i did this only after testing out the A4/3/C and the Volvo. I was also very keen on the all black interior!

After plenty of test drives I found that the Merc E class 250 CDI was the ideal car for me and the family. We all simply fell in love with it. Am taking delivery this weekend.

IF budget is a constraint I think you have only the C class as an all black interior. Personally without a proper spare wheel well, BMW is not advisable if you carry plenty of luggage. You could also wait a few more months for the all New C or Jag XE . I waited 8 months! happy hunting.
Old 26th August 2014, 11:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 3 Series 320d Sport Line vs Audi A4 177 bhp Premium edition

Thanks once again for the continued advisory by all, and now there's a little bit of clarity:

1) Test drove the A4 177 bhp Technology edition: What can I say? Gadgetry is up there is the A6 category. Auto Hold and mechanical brake is a boon in traffic and everyday driving if there are a lot of small drives, you just have to forget there is even a hand brake on the car. Its just super convenient. Power is there, but because of a CVT, you don't feel it, which might be a good thing for sedate drivers. I even test drove a slightly used TD car, about 13000 kms. There was no difference at all in the drive, that means the car is solidly built A huge let down was that the Premium plus doesn't come with MMI separate controls, smaller screen, and the way the buttons make a click sound when pressed, I felt I am pressing something on the XUV500. Audi lovers pls pardon my comparison, but I am a junkie for smooth operating buttons in the cabin, and there are many!

2) Next was the 3. A red, sport line, 320d if you please. Enough said? This is my absolute personal favorite. The seats are like, I can't describe them, you have to sit and see Besides lumbar support, height, under thigh extension(manual) the side bolstering also can be adjusted to get a 'tucked in' feeling! This can be claustrophobic to many, but I LOVE it! First things first, the button feels, over all textures, finishes, I find it to be much better than previous 3 Series. Both Audi and BMW use different feel textures on steering and dashboards so its hard to compare, some may like the soft and smooth finishes of Audi, but I prefer the tactile feel of the bimmer. The engine is much, much more noisy compared to Audi though, but the drive.. ohh the drive! Again something you have to experience yourself and feel it.
Huge let down, no paddle shifts or cruise control even as an option. Only speed limiter.

According to Audi, they can offer me a full black interior only on a Silver, or a Red.

BMW on the other hand have unlimited configurations, but the configuration plan depends on the factory and dealer can only do so much to help place an order, which can take anywhere between a fortnight to a month to get delivered, but if they promise a specific week of delivery, that can be managed.

The deals, Audi A4 Premium Edition, 37 Lacs OTR.
BMW 320d Sportline, 37 Lacs OTR.

We chucked out the S60 because GTO mentioned its awful, and I do believe the deal that I was getting for 37 lacs OTR was for a D4 Summum. Besides the cluster and the wheels, there is nothing else to be loved in the Volvo any more.

Should we expect a quick facelift for the 3 Series with paddle shifts and TFT clusters much like the 5 Series? I hope thats the only reason they are straight away offering a 4 Lac discount on the ex showroom price.

That means, the list price which is 38 Lacs in Ahmedabad, is down to 34 Lacs. Add 2 lacs of RTO registration (individual) and 1 lac for insurance, thats your 37 lacs on road price break up. This includes BMW secure which will cover hydrostatic damage, tyre damage, etc.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 11:51   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
That means, the list price which is 38 Lacs in Ahmedabad, is down to 34 Lacs. Add 2 lacs of RTO registration (individual) and 1 lac for insurance, thats your 37 lacs on road price break up. This includes BMW secure which will cover hydrostatic damage, tyre damage, etc.
All new BMWs come with the one year BMW secure as complimentary. Hence don't make it a point in your buying decision as from next year onwards you will have to buy it. What is road tax in Gujarat? Even at 10% the tax amount would come to 3.4L for a 34L ex showroom price.

Both the cars are good in there own respect. My take on it is that first see what your brother likes more. The ride quality of the BMW is quite hard compared to the Audi and city driving will be hence much more pleasurable in the Audi. On the other hand the Audi is in for a change pretty soon, has become extremely common on the road now and may not be as fun to drive as the BMW. Gujarat highways are quite well laid generally and I can only imagine the fun one can have with a BMW on those roads.

Edit: The biggest part in your buying decision should be of BSI. You mentioned really high running figures and in that case the BMW with its BSI makes much more sense.

Last edited by drmohitg : 26th August 2014 at 11:55.
Old 26th August 2014, 12:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
All new BMWs come with the one year BMW secure as complimentary. Hence don't make it a point in your buying decision as from next year onwards you will have to buy it. What is road tax in Gujarat? Even at 10% the tax amount would come to 3.4L for a 34L ex showroom price.

Both the cars are good in there own respect. My take on it is that first see what your brother likes more. The ride quality of the BMW is quite hard compared to the Audi and city driving will be hence much more pleasurable in the Audi. On the other hand the Audi is in for a change pretty soon, has become extremely common on the road now and may not be as fun to drive as the BMW. Gujarat highways are quite well laid generally and I can only imagine the fun one can have with a BMW on those roads.

Edit: The biggest part in your buying decision should be of BSI. You mentioned really high running figures and in that case the BMW with its BSI makes much more sense.
The road tax is calculated thus: Ex showroom 34 lacs. Amount without 15% VAT will come to 29.56 Lacs. Individual road tax in Gujarat is only 6%, that comes to approx 1.78 lacs, plus special number charges are about 10k, and the agent will charge me around 3-4k. Thats how I came to a total of 2 Lacs approx.

The stiff suspension of the bimmer helps because the drive is 80% highways, and hardly any city driving. Roads are plush, absolutely no potholes on the commute. Hence I am leaning towards the bimmer and making my brother lean towards it too. BSI will be taken separately though, it is already being discussed.
Old 26th August 2014, 13:22   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Should we expect a quick facelift for the 3 Series with paddle shifts and TFT clusters much like the 5 Series? I hope thats the only reason they are straight away offering a 4 Lac discount on the ex showroom price.
The 3 facelift is expected in 2015, not too soon to impact your buying decision I guess

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/sc...ad-2015-launch
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 13:53   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

The facelift is still a long way to go, almost a year and half before it hits our shores. Also the car mostly stays the same unlike the new C or the new A4 which would be brand new cars with new designs etc.

Go for the 3 Adi.
Old 26th August 2014, 16:09   #38
BHPian

Right now F30 is the most sensible choice. Competition will restart with the launch of new C and A4. Till then its a clear choice as there's, shall we say, "generation gap" between the 3 and C/A4.
Old 20th September 2014, 11:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

The new C class while being a far better product than the old C still does not have the driveability of the BMW as per reviews. New C will hit India most probably in January 2015 in time for March year end sales.

A4 is a very old model at the end of its model cycle. I am not sure when the new A4 will be released.

To compete with the new C, BMW will introduce the 3 LCI which will have new (and more powerful/efficient) petrol engines, LEDs, etc. but essentially body will remain the same. This is not expected till end of 2015 in India (probably earlier in other parts of the world, but one never knows). This will carry the F30 through till at least 2017-18. The diesel engines mostly will remain the same.

So I foresee that the new C class will probably wipe out BMW/Audi in 2015 in this car class in India.

If the requirement is immediate then as GTO says, there is no choice but the 3.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 20:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

The 3 series 320d Sport line, deep blue, black interiors it is! Exciting way how the deal was finalized and delayed because of shradhs and travelling. Shall post a good review post delivery and initial experiences! Though it's a proven car, let's see how it responds to my brother's liking.
Old 7th October 2014, 20:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The 3 series 320d Sport line, deep blue, black interiors it is!

Imperial blue... Couldn't get better! Congratz on the choice. Exact same spec and color as mine. Wish you guys lots of exciting miles in it and a trouble free ownership!
Old 8th March 2015, 10:33   #42
BHPian

BMW 3 series GT

Hello every one.

I am planning to book BMW GT 3 series black colour with beige interior,got few queries, seeking your help on the same.

1. in quotation they have quoted 19.98% road tax, is this a correct rate of tax? I tried google got diff rates.

2. on road price is 53.50 lakhs, is this a good deal or shall I ask for more discounts.

3. comprehensive insurance is 82,750, its been offered from dealer ship guy ( icici or Bajaj).

4. BMW Secure 47600, should I go for BMW secure premium?

what possible accessories I can ask for as freebie?

Thank you
Old 8th March 2015, 22:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 3 series GT

Androdev's thread about his S mentions the tax plus insurance at nearly 25% of the car's listed price, tax is collected at list price whatever discounts are offered. To put it another way, if your total cost comes to 125% of the list price, walk away because the 3 is getting an LCI pretty soon and the dealer isn't giving you much of a discount.
Old 8th March 2015, 23:53   #44
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 3 series GT

March being the end of the financial year means you will get good discounts. On the 3GT I would expect 3-4l discount on the on-road price. Do push your dealer, and show that you are serious about purchasing it and then watch the discounts come to you.
Old 15th March 2015, 01:07   #45

Should I buy the S60 D4 Summum

Just checked out the Volvo S60 D4 Summum version today and felt it was great value for money. I am keen to select this car. However, given the lack of brand awareness for Volvo cars and reputed low service network, is it worth a buy? A few members seem to have bought S60s in the last few years. What is their service experience with Volvo for their cars in say NCR and/or Mumbai? Please advise before I make up my mind.

Most Viewed