Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2014, 08:22   #1
BHPian

Pre-owned BMW 650i?

Hi Guys,

I have come across a Pre owned 2008 650i. Done 35k km.

We are negotiating right now.

Before taking a final call, I request your opinion on reliability and long term maintenance issues, availability of spares etc.

My driving requirements are mostly for two people on out station trips and not more than 8-10k km a year.

What say? Should I go for it?

Heart say 650 head says a 2011 530 or A6 3.0

Fiddler
Old 19th September 2014, 09:35   #2
BHPian

re: Pre-owned BMW 650i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Hi Guys,

I have come across a Pre owned 2008 650i. Done 35k km.

We are negotiating right now.

Before taking a final call, I request your opinion on reliability and long term maintenance issues, availability of spares etc.

My driving requirements are mostly for two people on out station trips and not more than 8-10k km a year.

What say? Should I go for it?

Fiddler
It all depends on how many owners the car has had and how well it has been maintained. By and large its quite a reliable car in the West with mostly electrical/electronic niggles that creep up now and then. Some people feel that the 530D or the 535i offered a better driving experience, but, not having driven a 650i, I wouldn't know that.

I think you should buy the seller(s) more than the car. If you trust them, believe they haven't abused the car, its well maintained and being offered at a reasonable price for both seller and buyer then consider it. Otherwise walk away from it.
imp! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 09:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

I would go for it. In reality, it is a 5 series with a V8 and fancy clothes and most probably used to appearances.

What is the price?
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 10:05   #4
BHPian

Get it checked at your local BMW service before making full payment. Availability of spares won't be an issue and it isn't particularly a troublesome car (2 years of ownership) , be up to date with services and take care of fuel quality.

Just make sure you don't have the style-121 Ellipsoid wheels on her, you can google about that. That's a big day 1 expense.

The 6 series is a superb car to own and drive, I miss having the 650

Last edited by fre2bpowerless : 19th September 2014 at 10:07.
fre2bpowerless is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 10:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I would go for it. In reality, it is a 5 series with a V8 and fancy clothes and most probably used to appearances.

What is the price?
He is asking for 45.
Old 19th September 2014, 10:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

The 650i is a pretty trouble free car and well suited for Indian roads. Check the conditions of the Wheel Rims and tyres (Bent/Chip) and the suspension components. Also make sure its a 650 and not a 645, am not sure if '08 had 650's. The 650 engine had a lot of internal improvements, if its a 645 check for engine oil leaks. Lastly check the battery condition, if not new then bargain with the owner since the batteries in these dont last more than 3 yrs primarily due to low running.

Overall it is a much better coupe which can be driven everyday and probably everywhere!
Maverick5490 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 11:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Fiddler
Could you please clarify if the other options i.e Audi / BMW are diesels or Petrols ?

Coz IMO the diesels would be as good performers as the 650i on normal fuel so if thats the case go with the head & not with the heart this time.

Also by 2011 BMW 5, hope you meant it was an F10 ?
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 15:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Could you please clarify if the other options i.e Audi / BMW are diesels or Petrols ?

Coz IMO the diesels would be as good performers as the 650i on normal fuel so if thats the case go with the head & not with the heart this time.

Also by 2011 BMW 5, hope you meant it was an F10 ?
Yes Diesel options. And yes I meant the F10.
Old 19th September 2014, 15:46   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-owned BMW 650i?

Others have already commented on this particular model. Just three points to add:

1. Since you're looking at this primarily for outstation trips, you might want to reconsider the decision on the V8. For one, these engines are very sensitive to the quality of petrol (at best, a gamble in rural India). Second, you're looking at low single digit fuel economy in the city and high single digit on the highway.

2. Further to the above mentioned point, a 6-cylinder BMW diesel will be powerful, torquey and more fuel-efficient too. A 525 / 530d are very, very F-A-S-T sedans too.

3. I see your previous ride has been an Innova. Hope you've accounted for unexpected repairs & maintenance. If & when things go wrong with a 6-year old BMW CBU, you're looking at massive bills. If you're spending 45 lakhs on a 650i, that amount shouldn't be a stretch for you (i.e. you should have funds available separately for repairs).

If your heart is sold on the car, go for it. Just be sure you know what you're getting into.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 15:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

Some great advice here from people who know what they are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
Just make sure you don't have the style-121 Ellipsoid wheels on her, you can google about that. That's a big day 1 expense.
Interesting info! I googled it - sharing what i found here :
If you currently do, or have ever, owned a BMW with Ellipsoid 121-Style wheels, and had to repair or pay for repair of the wheels and/or tires, then you should pay attention. There has recently been a class action settlement by BMW to allow customers to receive replacement Ellipsoid 121-Style wheels. The reason for this settlement is due to a federal lawsuit, which claimed that these wheels on BMW 6-Series were defective; normal driving conditions would result in cracks developing on the wheels.
- Source
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Lastly check the battery condition, if not new then bargain with the owner since the batteries in these dont last more than 3 yrs primarily due to low running.
How much would a new battery cost?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 16:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
How much would a new battery cost?

cya
R
It would cost around 50k including labour for an Original BMW AGM battery
Maverick5490 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 17:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Others have already commented on this particular model. Just three points to add:

3. I see your previous ride has been an Innova. Hope you've accounted for unexpected repairs & maintenance. If & when things go wrong with a 6-year old BMW CBU, you're looking at massive bills. If you're spending 45 lakhs on a 650i, that amount shouldn't be a stretch for you (i.e. you should have funds available separately for repairs).

If your heart is sold on the car, go for it. Just be sure you know what you're getting into.
Thank you. I still have the Innova.

Bought an Octavia pre owned 5 years back, still have it and love it. Its what my family use in the city.

I bought a pre owned A4 2yr old 13km this year March and to my eternal regret had to give it my mom 2 months ago. She liked it that much.

If I buy this car it will be my first petrol car in 13 years. Never had a petrol.

Thanks for the inputs. I have not seen many adverse inputs so far.

This will be the closest I think that i will ever be able to afford or buy a serious sports car with a V8 Engine. It was 1cr plus ex show room.

If i set aside 15L for possible repairs in future do you think that will be enough or i will need more money. Is it likely to cost me more than what i paid for the car?

If the car checks out and on your feedback I will hopefully buy it on Monday.

FIddler
Fiddler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 19:29   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have come across a Pre owned 2008 650i. Done 35k km

To me these looks too much expensive and simply not worth the money being asked . Last Year BMW sold tens of 640D - 2011/12 Imports with many extra's including headup at 65 -70 Lac Ex Showroom .

Quote:
This will be the closest I think that i will ever be able to afford or buy a serious sports car with a V8 Engine. It was 1cr plus ex show room.
8 Cylinders are definitely different but the newer 6 should keep you equally happy and as suggested by GTO , 530 D should give you all the kick . You should get one in good condition less than 30 Lac in new shape and if you search you might get old one at less than 20 Lac .

Quote:
If i set aside 15L for possible repairs in future do you think that will be enough or i will need more money. Is it likely to cost me more than what i paid for the car?
Well no one can answer this question , BMW gives maximum extended warranty of 6 Years and these are not Toyota's . But why do you want to get into all these hassles just pick up a return ticket and spend a week every alternate month instead

http://www.exoticsracing.com/Ferrari...-vegas_1_1.htm

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th September 2014 at 19:54.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 09:08   #14
BHPian

My head says go for a new car; for 45 you have a fair choice of cars. Since you are going to use it only on weekends please consider where you will probably take the car.

Modern diesels are amazingly quick, though you may not have a V8 under the hood.

If time is not a constraint, you may wait for the new C class (since mostly two of you will be in the car), else there are plenty choices.
Old 21st September 2014, 15:41   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I bought a pre owned A4 2yr old 13km this year March and to my eternal regret had to give it my mom 2 months ago. She liked it that much.
SUPER MOM

Quote:
If i set aside 15L for possible repairs in future do you think that will be enough or i will need more money
15 lakhs is a very generous repair & maintenance budget. If you get it checked & evaluated thoroughly, the odds are definitely in your favour.

That said, I do know someone who burned 15 lakhs in 2 years on a used S-Class. All depends on luck, which he completely lacked .

What you absolutely, totally and compulsorily need is a great independent garage which is capable of maintaining this car. Proceed only if you have access to such a shop.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed