Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2014, 09:26   #46
BHPian

re: Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?

After having used a BMW, any other car would be a 'climb down' unless you decide to go for a Porsche or a landrover. Since your major grouse against your old 3 series has been space & a bumpy ride, your best bet would be to go in for a Mercedes sedan or Mercedes SUV (new or pre-owned).

A Merc will give you better comfort & also the image. Dump your Safari also and replace it with an Innova. So a Merc for comfort & image and an Innova for space. OR to add to the confusion try the new F30

Last edited by rxpaul : 4th October 2014 at 09:28.
Old 6th October 2014, 00:55   #47
BHPian

So I went to the Mitsubhishi showroom and TDed the Pajero Sport today.

As soon as I entered the showroom ( I went to Excel Motors at Mathura Road), I realized its arguably the smallest car showroom I have ever seen. I was half-prepared as I had read things about the state of affairs with Mitsubhishi.

Well, I was greeted by the only sales gentleman present there. Despite being the single guy there, I found him quite knowledgeable, mature and pleasant. Obviously I was the only customer there, and seemed like I was the only one to visit them in at-least 2-3 days.

Nevertheless, during the last one week, I have been reading a few very detailed ownership reviews on this forum as well as some others. I have by now watched countless videos of the SUV and almost nowhere I found any big NO for the product. In fact everyone has been praising the vehicle, while many said no to Fortuner almost instantaneously! So the curiosity for the vehicle was so much that I had already decided to completely ignore the ASS aspect, except that I wanted to make sure that the PS is built strong.

I saw a 2 tone yellow-white limited edition, a raw Red anniversary edition and a 'fully chromed' gleaming black beauty. Black was arguably the best looking but I did not even want to look that side. My Bimmer was black and i have by now fully realized how impossible it is to maintain black.

So first I decided to straightaway TD the PS. I had read so much that I know all the technicals by heart now. I will here provide just few highlights of my first impressions:-

1) Having owned a Safari I can safely say, TS and not the PS wins hands down in the driver seat space and view department. With my height of merely 6 feet, I was getting just 70% of the view I enjoy in TS. In fact the windscreen ended almost 2 " above my eye level. It actually bothered me good bit. And yes, I was driving with my seat fully pushed down. Pardon me for comparing PS with a TS, but then, that's what I am used to.

2) With my bulky physique (6', 130 kgs), getting in a BMW had always been an issue. Surprise-surprise, it was even more so difficult in the PS! Unbelievable? Believe it! In fact first time I could not even get into the vehicle. I got down and asked the assistant to push the steering up, only to realize that it was already up.

Why? well i am not sure. I did not measure the chassis height or seat to ceiling height, but it was VERY uncomfortable. My thighs got mildly stuck under the steering. The foot rest was very small and uncomfortable and I had to get into the vehicle lifting the leg pretty high and in an awkward position. It was a kind of a shock. May be I have grown too fat now. I am not sure this issue will be faced by many...alas I did! Compared to that getting in and out of safari is very very comfortable.

3) The internal fit and finish was nice. excellent compared to Safari. Just okay compared to the Bimmer.

4) Music was quite average. Definitely needs attention. May be speakers need to be replaced.

5) Drive - well firstly about acceleration - Well, as soon as I put it in the first gear, my first impression was dis satisfactory. I missed any kind of punch. As I drove, I realized that engine is quite smooth, one does not need to change gears a lot. It was quite comfortable and refined, but strangely I must say I enjoy my safari dicor much more. As you push the pedal in the TS, you feel the vibration and punch of a 3 litres engine. I feel like I am riding a tiger. In PS, somehow I missed that. May be the sound insulation is too good, but the connect with the outer world and the big rush of adrenalin was quite missing. My Bimmer has it a lot and so does the Safari!

6) Brakes were something that actually scared me. I felt that the car would just not stop. Too soft for me. Tad too soft. Uffff!

7) Space is overall good. Still - again - and don't kill me for this guys, but not like Safari. Fully pushed back, first seat space is great...but the back seat space was a tad little. This is not backed by any measurements. Just the feel I got. May be I am used to the TS...but I find that much more comfortable to sink in. Comfort, command and posture of the driver's seat in TS is like ... the BEST!

8) Turning radius was very good. I felt very good there.

9) Looks were stunning. The SUV with its 17" alloys and high wheel arches and the front grill looked killing to me. V E R Y I M P R E S S I V E!

10) Offroading - This is where I got the SHOCK OF MY LIFE!!! We went through some real bad roads and ditches and rocks. The PAJERO SPORT handled all that with such AMAZING poise that I could not believe. It was Awesome!!! It was like this vehicle can probably drive through anything. Body roll was nothing compared to the TS. The suspensions were amazing. We went through some ditches that I was scared to even try. But the PS won over them with amazing ease and command that first time I realized what a true off roader should be. If you ask me, I cant ask for more. The vehicle is a beast and would feast on anything ...simply anything that the terrain will throw at it. It is a true carnivore in that department. Mastercraft! Period.

11) And then we looked at the seat folding options. May be other vehicles to offer it, I am not sure, but I simply loved the seat folding options it provided. Sitting in the second row behind the passenger seat, anyhow I was enjoying the murder of the terrain, when the Sales guy stopped and folded the front seat to create a recliner like option with the combination of the front and rear seats that I found it mouth watering. I love being driven by a chauffeur and where I can just spread myself in the rear seat. In my Safari, I used to push the front seat fully forward, fold the seat towards front, roll down the window panes, relax my back on the rear seat's back and put my feet out of the front seat window (I know its risky...but pardon me folks...I love that posture). Here it was like spreading on a royal couch and I simply LOOOOVED it!

The middle seats and the 3rd row seats also fold completely and I say that's a pretty nice arrangement available. 2 thumbs up.

And that's all. All other stuff I liked. I liked the 3 row ac. I liked the 8 bottle holders. I liked the 3 charging points. I liked the rear view camera which was nice and clear. i liked the side mirrors which were huge. I liked the leather. I liked the dual tone of exteriors. I liked the hot-cold box. I liked the silence in the cabin. I liked everything!

Overall, is this the vehicle to go for! Anyday! Of all the minuses I have mentioned, most will not notice any. Do I want to look at any other car? NO! Am I buying this one - Cmon!!! YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Now some pictures of the one I chose -
Attached Thumbnails
Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?-img_20141005_174335.jpg  

Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?-img_20141005_174341.jpg  

Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?-img_20141005_174346.jpg  

Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?-img_20141005_174355.jpg  

Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?-img_20141005_174400.jpg  

Last edited by Aroongupta : 6th October 2014 at 01:02.
Aroongupta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 02:44   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroongupta View Post
Overall, is this the vehicle to go for! Anyday! Of all the minuses I have mentioned, most will not notice any. Do I want to look at any other car? NO! Am I buying this one - Cmon!!! YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Now some pictures of the one I chose -
Woooaahh. Did I read that correct? Your post seemed to suggest otherwise. How will you deal with the awkward driving position? Many many congratulations nevertheless. What was the deal offered? And may I dare to suggest that before putting down your money please check the other SUV/crossovers too in this price segment.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 05:44   #49
BHPian

Quote:

-
Do take a look at the Toyota Fortuner. There's a 4*4 AT just around the corner and if you can live with the ride the fortuner offers better comfort in the 3 rows and comes with Toyota ASS. I was confused for a good 6 months in which vehicle to buy finally bought the fortuner and am very happy with the decision. Mitsubishi dealers have reduced in the last 1 year and they are only selling a couple of models with not much to look forward too. I personally would not spend 25L on such a company. Do give T Fort a serious thought before finalising the pajero. Both the cars can easily take abuse and will easily last for 2-3 lakh kms like new. The interiors may not be very well crafted but are functional and my 100kg 6'2" son finds the driving position very comfortable. Best of luck for your purchase.

Last edited by ToyotaFan : 6th October 2014 at 05:47.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 08:18   #50
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! That's a nice choice indeed.

However, I do hope it's not this yellow and white colour scheme you are planning on? Doesn't really suit the Sport and more importantly- it doesn't cut a successful and mature businessman image you were hoping for!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 08:18   #51
Team-BHP Support

I do not think Mitsubishi is packing its bags. Have spent some time with a Mitsubishi and it has character (A reliable Japanese, having character? Yes)

Was a Montero parked as well in the showroom? Did you like it?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 09:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the car mate! Reading your impressions on it, I see that you were very realistic but at the same time you will never get tired of the car and that's a very good thing.

Keep us posted

Cheers!
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 09:46   #53
BHPian

Some of the drawbacks you mentioned might get quite annoying in the long run, while Pajero Sport might be a very good vehicle, I would still suggest Test drive all the worthy contenders in that segment and then decide.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 10:03   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, I do hope it's not this yellow and white colour scheme you are planning on? Doesn't really suit the Sport and more importantly- it doesn't cut a successful and mature businessman image you were hoping for!
+1. Wanted to say the same but then colour is such an individual thing and hence refrained. The Yellow is looking really tacky on the Pajero.
Old 6th October 2014, 10:12   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This question doesn't count now, as I don't see the Montero on Official Mitsubishi website for India. So, just one product?

There is a market for 40L-50L SUV (which stands tall over its German rivals) The Prado now is hopelessly overpriced.
Old 6th October 2014, 11:12   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Some of the drawbacks you mentioned might get quite annoying in the long run, while Pajero Sport might be a very good vehicle, I would still suggest Test drive all the worthy contenders in that segment and then decide.
I surely want to. TF i surely will. Santafe, Koleos, Rexton are out. Honda CRV is also something I don't want. Neither Yeti, Captiva or Endeavour. Kindly suggest what else is available in 20-30 L bracket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I do not think Mitsubishi is packing its bags. Have spent some time with a Mitsubishi and it has character (A reliable Japanese, having character? Yes)

Nope. Wonder if they still sell those

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats! That's a nice choice indeed.

Respect your opinion. But on my side, that decision remains absolutely in the hands of family and friends. Whatever they command will be my wish. My 13 yo and 8 yo has all the say in that department. Also - I think the yellow and white looks a stunner. After Blue Safari, Silver Honda, Black Bimmer I guess a lot of vibrancy will do this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Do take a look at the Toyota Fortuner. There's a 4*4 AT just around the corner and if you can live with the ride the fortuner offers better comfort in the 3 rows and comes with Toyota ASS. I was confused for a good 6 months in which vehicle to buy finally bought the fortuner and am very happy with the decision. Mitsubishi dealers have reduced in the last 1 year and they are only selling a couple of models with not much to look forward too. I personally would not spend 25L on such a company. Do give T Fort a serious thought before finalising the pajero. Both the cars can easily take abuse and will easily last for 2-3 lakh kms like new. The interiors may not be very well crafted but are functional and my 100kg 6'2" son finds the driving position very comfortable. Best of luck for your purchase.
I will surely TD it before I make the final decision. Though I will be honest, it will have to beat the PS by a good margin. Ironically my biggest problem with the TF is that its the leader in the segment and available a bit too everywhere. See, when I buy a car, I really don't bother about the ASS costs or the resale price that much. Even if Mitsubishi goes bust and after a couple of years it starts giving trouble, I will simply dump it. Its more about the feel and living the moment. I know, many will find that idiotic, but that's how it is with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Woooaahh. Did I read that correct? Your post seemed to suggest otherwise. How will you deal with the awkward driving position? Many many congratulations nevertheless. What was the deal offered? And may I dare to suggest that before putting down your money please check the other SUV/crossovers too in this price segment.
:-) Yeah, the posts reads like that. Because it focuses on very few aspects. And I chose to highlight the niggles more. If you read my posts on my Safari purchase in the year 2005 (do it, you will probably like the one in which I described my TD), you will see a similar treatment.

I wonder if there was ever a perfect product created. One has to always make a few compromises. Depends on what stage one is and what he is looking for at that point in time.

Lemme explain - One of my friend works at a pretty senior position in one of the world's largest phone company. He told me that while having all capability, they never design a perfect phone. Every phone has some feature(s) missing, purposefully left because after an year when they launch the next product in the line, they will highlight the missing feature the most and you will be tempted to buy it. Only later will you realize that the new one misses on something else. And then the new product will come and you will be tempted to buy the next. This way all phones sell. what one buys depend a lot on what his current problem his current phone is struggling with. Same with cars!

My current situation is that mentally I am so sick of the Bimmer's vulnerability on the Indian Roads, its very cramped cabin space, its inability to handle slightest potholes, its hate relationship with water on the roads that I want exact opposite. Also I want something that is not that common on the roads. I never want the best seller. Last point pushes the fortuner out and brings PS in. I checked Santafe. Excellent car but its not a SUV by any means. Koleos and Rextron etc were rejected just based on the online reviews. PS seems to be a good answer.
Aroongupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 11:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

The Pajero would be a solid buy, and for your needs there is nothing better than either that or a Fortuner. Go for the TD of the Fortuner like you say you will and take your pick. The thing going against the Fortuner is its popularity now, but its after sales and solid reliability makes it extremely hard to ignore. Comfort wise I'm sure the Pajero will do better though.

I'll also say that you shouldn't go for the yellow pajero. Red and white is just as lively, classier too and a classic Pajero combo. Do consider it, and I'm glad to see you so pumped and passionate about getting the Pajero. Indicates you're jumping in with head and heart and I love that.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 11:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Though I will be honest, it will have to beat the PS by a good margin. Ironically my biggest problem with the TF is that its the leader in the segment and available a bit too everywhere. See, when I buy a car, I really don't bother about the ASS costs or the resale price that much. Even if Mitsubishi goes bust and after a couple of years it starts giving trouble, I will simply dump it. Its more about the feel and living the moment. I know, many will find that idiotic, but that's how it is with me.
You have already taken the decision by heart and that sounded nice to hear. Rationale can take us only to a certain point, after all what is life if we cannot do what we love to!

And regarding the color Yellow - It is the most luminous of all the colors. It is associated with Optimism, Happiness, Victory and Fighting spirit.

The thing is Yellow generally doesn't look good on most cars, so people generally don't buy it. But if it looks good on the Pajero, you can definitely go ahead getting it.

And I've seen a yellow Pajero with a little over-sized tires, it looked terrific and had an unique appeal(something like a nice aura)

Last edited by CliffHanger : 6th October 2014 at 11:52.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 11:54   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I will surely TD it before I make the final decision. Though I will be honest, it will have to beat the PS by a good margin. Ironically my biggest problem with the TF is that its the leader in the segment and available a bit too everywhere. See, when I buy a car, I really don't bother about the ASS costs or the resale price that much. Even if Mitsubishi goes bust and after a couple of years it starts giving trouble, I will simply dump it. Its more about the feel and living the moment. I know, many will find that idiotic, but that's how it is with me...
I had similar thoughts when I bought my Ford Escort in 1997. I simply loved what I saw in the UK and bought it as soon as it was launched. General consensus was to wait for the upcoming corolla and city but I listened to my heart and got the overpriced (8.5 L in 1997) car. Since then every time I need to get the the repaired it's mammoth task. I had been trying to get buyers since 2004 but all I was getting was double figures for the well kept vehicle. Till today the vehicle is with me and I have no option but to scrap it when the time comes. I bought a Daewoo matiz in 1998 which also gave problems but not to this extent.

Since then I learnt a lesson and have got a Wagon R, Toyota Innova and Toyota Fortuner. Very happy with these purchases and easy to maintain. I know the pajero sport is a great vehicle my son still loves it more than the fortuner and was after my life to get it. But in the last 1 year I have seen the 2 dealers nearest to my house (Vivek motors ghaziabad and one more) close and the nearest one is now excel motors 70 kms away when I have 5 Toyota dealerships with good service and support in that radius it just didn't make sense going for it. I know the heart cannot be swayed by a logical argument but still was just sharing my experience. May you have a great ownership experience with the Pajero.
ToyotaFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 12:31   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Do I want to look at any other car? NO! Am I buying this one - Cmon!!! YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!
What a dramatic change in thoughts here.

We all were not even guessing that the Mitsubishi would impress you. Though the car is a good choice, the company's attitude is low and lack-lustered.

Overall a beautiful choice, so what is the deal being finalised?

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks