Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2014, 08:02   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?

But then, your thread says, you bought the Pajero Sport. How come?
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:31   #77
BHPian

Re: Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?

Folks, thanks for your comments.

I agree with everyone. All seem correct. That's exactly why the confusion is. I guess IshaanIan put it together in a most accurate way.

The the analysis of what is there and what not and what is happening to Mitsubishi and future of ISUZU and all that is fine. I can count those all before taking the final decision. I am myself a quantitative analysis guy so i know taking parameters, factors, apply weights etc etc and I do that all the time. And it works for me.

My issue right now is something else. Right now I am not even sure how good technically and practically MU7 is. My feel about the car is good, but then i need some expert support here. There might be points that I overlooked. There might be technical things about the vehicle which may suggest that it may start as a good vehicle but will not stay like that. For example a Tata Safari is a great car to start with and then eventually sucks. You can just tell it by its build quality. See I have TDed a PS and this one once. Its kind of difficult to identify all differences. A better placed guy would be someone who has been driving a Pajero Sport for some time now. As soon as he would drive, he would know the differences instantly.

So notwithstanding other issues, I need feedback mostly on the quality of the car to start with - technical as well as comfort. There if it stands tall in front of a PS, then only the other factors come into play - which can be very different for various people. For example - a ISUZU showroom is right next to my office while a Mitsubhishi is 1 hours drive. For me the former is convenient. Anyhow, as i mentioned - that will come later.

I need expert views please, views of PS owners and that too once u have TDed the vehicle.

Also if some expert is Delhi area will be happy to spend time, going out with me to TD the vehicle in detail, I will most appreciate. Obviously the gala buffet lunch will be on me

PS: Sheel, there has been some confusion. May be for the fact that I posted pics of car that I 'proposed' to buy. And then i went away for some time. So some admin did the right thing of editing the post to kind of mark successful closure of the query. I think once someone notices, they will edit the title again. I don't know if I can do it myself.

Last edited by Aroongupta : 3rd November 2014 at 09:36.
Aroongupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:44   #78
BHPian

Aroon: While the rest of debate on the technical competence of both the vehicles can go on, what about the ppl perception? Will you be ok if ppl comment that Aroon sold BMW and bought a Isuzu? Across the world Isuzu is considered as a budget brand only, unlike Mitsubishi you will find no Isuzu fan boys anywhere. Plus, if now you not giving importance to interiors, 4x4, other creature comforts and are considering being mostly chauffeured around, then an Innova shall be a much better buy. Plus ppl opinion bout an Innova shall be much better that Isuzu.

Personally for me, the interiors are the most important bit for any vehicle, when you have spent 25-27 lacs on a vehicle- you better feel it when you are sitting inside.
Joyb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 10:25   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroongupta View Post
PS: Sheel, there has been some confusion. May be for the fact that I posted pics of car that I 'proposed' to buy. And then i went away for some time. So some admin did the right thing of editing the post to kind of mark successful closure of the query. I think once someone notices, they will edit the title again. I don't know if I can do it myself.
Hi Aroon! I already did that. I reported the post and it got edited by the moderator team.

To know more, please go through this & these

And you may use the search feature in case you wish to know something, chances are, it will be present on the forum (discussion or troubleshooting)

My best wishes for your perfect SUV upgrade

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:22   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

I tend to agree with what member JoyB has written above. Your primary query started with which car can replace or atleast come closest to the brand image of a BMW. The right answer to that was none apart from the other high end germans which suffer from more or less the same disadvantages as the BMW. Anyways down the line you decided to opt for a butch looking 25L SUV which would also definitely have some image factor associated with it and also provides you with adequate rear seat comfort.

The Isuzu might really fail in the first department i.e. the brand image. Its like the Volvo. Excellent cars but you might not get the "ooohhhss" and "Aaahhs" from the people at large.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:14   #81
BANNED

I have driven the MU-7 for around 300kms and here are my findings Vs the Pajero Sport. I hope they help you some extent.

1. I dont like the way the MU-7 looks, but looks are personal.
2. While the engine is smooth, it doesn't like speeds above 140kmph. Not that one needs them but you have been a BMW owner. Also, while the engine is rev happy lower down the range, it feels stressed after 3k rpm.
3. I am not a big fan of Korean/Chinese inspired interiors.
4. It is simply too long and clearly looks like someone has put two rows of seats on a pick-up truck. While I m not a big fan of the Sport's rear end, the MU-7 is a complete turn off.
5. The vehicle doesn't have character. It is more like an appliance that "might" appeal to the head when someone needs just one USP, space. I m not like that.
6. Isuzu is a great diesel engine manufacturer, however when it comes to an automobile, it is not ONLY the engine and space but a whole bunch of other aggregates that matter and here Mitsubishi clearly wins.
7. 2WD would just not cut it for me.
8. If the market feels that Mitsubishi's service reach is scare, imagine owning an Isuzu..!!

Hope it helps.

PS: I would buy an Innova over the MU-7 if it were to be chauffeur driven (which is only when I would consider any of these in the first place).
n.devdath is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:47   #82
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?

No, never will the Isuzu MU-7 turn out like a Tata Safari in the long run. Isuzu's have had a history of making bullet proof engines. The pickup which a friend had in Bahrain had clocked over a 150k kms and was good to go. Mind you even if it was used 60% of the time on smooth roads, rest of the 40% was on no roads. So as far as the long term reliability is concerned both the Pajero Sport and the MU-7 are going to last long.

Again as I said earlier practically the MU-7 makes sense as you will be chauffeured and neither will you be off roading. The MU-7 will easily take you to Ladakh. So the absence of a 4wd won't be much of a problem.

The Pajero Sport on the other hand will satisfy the enthusiast in you. It has this feel good factor if you look at the interiors and road presence. The off road abilities need no mention.

As suggested above wait for the Pajero Sport AT to come and then take a decision. At the end of the day you are spending close to 30 lakhs and everytime you sit inside the car or look at it, you should feel good.
Test Drive both the cars back to back and then take a decision.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 3rd November 2014 at 13:08.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:51   #83
BHPian

Aroon: Don't intend to hurt anyone here, but have a look at Isuzu's arsenal of vehicles. They specialize in trucks, buses & pick-up trucks. They have only 1 SUV in the passenger vehicle category and that's it. (http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/product/index.html).

Now if you consider Mitsubishi, well you know it already. The company has a strong history of making the best products in the segment (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/products/index.html). Its a call which you have to take, my money is on the Pajero Sport (hopefully it will be in my Garage in the next 6 months)

Cheers and happy motoring

Joy
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:06   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
Aroon: Don't intend to hurt anyone here, but have a look at Isuzu's arsenal of vehicles. They specialize in trucks, buses & pick-up trucks. They have only 1 SUV in the passenger vehicle category and that's it. (http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/product/index.html).

Now if you consider Mitsubishi, well you know it already. The company has a strong history of making the best products in the segment (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/products/index.html). Its a call which you have to take, my money is on the Pajero Sport (hopefully it will be in my Garage in the next 6 months)

Cheers and happy motoring

Joy
So as suggested by many, I TDed both the vehicles side by side today. MU7 is out. Actually I TDed it first today. Without even TDing Pajero Sport, I rejected it. Today I focused more on the fit and finish and longevity. My eventual take was while the engine may last, its interiors will not. The fit and finish - when closely watched - don't belong to a japanese class. They wont stand. The car will make noises from every nook and corner very fast. And overall it should be priced some 3-5 lacs lesser.

Regarding PS - I got to know that the 4*2 AT is being launched on 15th. Simultaneously they are changing the grille and couple of other things in the MT also. So will wait couple of weeks, have a look and then buy.

Sorry if I wasted everyone's time in this debate.
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:11   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

1. Agreed
2. If you read the OPs requirements properly, you will notice that he has always and intends to be chauffeur driven. So talk about the comfort that the refined Isuzu with its cushy ride, offers. No one here wanted to go off-roading mate.
3. It's a sort of give and take because while turbo lag isn't an issue, suddenly dropping a gear, does take an un-intuitive amount of time.
4. Agreed though I don't think the Isuzu looks like a Force One. That's a bit harsh
5. This statement is purely baseless. What are your reasons behind the statement? Did you know that Isuzu engines have been used in India for decades and the brand is known to be just as bulletproof as Mitsubishi. Currently both stand in the same place in terms of service. Just that one is diminishing, and the other is growing. I would say that the A.S.S. experience from a growing brand would anyday outdo the experience offered from a dying one.

We can clearly see that you are a fan of the Paj Sport (So am I btw) however, it is pertinent that you think clearly and impartially while keeping the OP's observations and requirements in mind, when posting on such a thread.

2. OP's requirements are Brand Image and Interiors not far away from his 320d. He also intends to drive occasionally and has also mentioned his driving styles. So, i think it is you who should go through this entire thread and know his requirements well. I have recommended him AT which is 4x2, so no question of off-roading here.
3. If OP decides to drive himself, he will be disappointed at some turbo lag and heavy clutch in dense traffic as he is used to 320d now, hence my suggestion for AT. Anyways OP is not keen on serious off-roading, so trading 4x4 for AT should be good for him.
4. Looks are subjective so let us not argue here but i still maintain my opinion. I have never said that Force One, MU7 look bad so no question of me being harsh here.
5. I have never questioned Isuzu's ability in engines. Remember that Brand Image is OP's requirement and most people will agree that Mitsubishi is better brand in India because of the products like Montero, Evo, etc. Also, IIRC Mitsu has presence in all the metro cities, i am not sure about Isuzu though. Mitsubishi is not dying in India, they are just slow probably because of partnership with dying HM. As far as pre sales and A.S.S. is concerned, i am very happy here in Pune at least.

So, I don't see anything baseless here. Also, i am not just a Pajero fanboy but a CONVINCED AND SATISFIED OWNER. As far as usefulness of my posts is concerned, it's evident in the OP's current stand.

@Aroon:

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th November 2014 at 04:44. Reason: Offending content was removed from quoted post & your response as well, thanks for maintaining a civil tone, thanks
46TheDoctor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 12:37   #86
BHPian

Quote:

Joy, advance welcome to the Pajero Sports owners' club. The Sport seems to be developing into a cult vehicle. Apart from everything else, you will love showing it off. I showed off the vehicle in a friends gathering over the weekend - and I almost sold two vehicles right there!

All the best for your quest, may it be yours soon.

@ Aroon: Welcome to the club again, buddy! Hoping to see some ownership reviews again soon.
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 12:49   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Joy, advance welcome to the Pajero Sports owners' club. The Sport seems to be developing into a cult vehicle. Apart from everything else, you will love showing it off. I showed off the vehicle in a friends gathering over the weekend - and I almost sold two vehicles right there!

All the best for your quest, may it be yours soon.

@ Aroon: Welcome to the club again, buddy! Hoping to see some ownership reviews again soon.
@ Anshuman: Honestly am confused. Would have gone ahead and bought the 4X4, but now with the AT available in 4X2 the decision has become so tough to make. Would have been great if they would have come up with 4x4 with AT.

Anyways the purchase is still 6 months away, may will have a look at the new Endevour if its launched by then
Joyb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 13:07   #88
BHPian

Quote:
@ Anshuman: Honestly am confused. Would have gone ahead and bought the 4X4, but now with the AT available in 4X2 the decision has become so tough to make. Would have been great if they would have come up with 4x4 with AT.

Anyways the purchase is still 6 months away, may will have a look at the new Endevour if its launched by then
Evaluating options is as much fun as finally owning, and honestly, once you have finally bought the car - some of the fun reduces as you tend to stop evaluating other worthy contenders. Am sure you know how to evaluate the difference between 4x4 manual versus 4x2 AT. Let us know if you need any help with the ideas.

Meanwhile, have fun evaluating - enjoy the ride till you arrive at your destination. All the best!
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 14:08   #89
Senior - BHPian

After reading all this ( and the detailed review from Anshuman - super review) and after doing quite some research on the Pajero Sport, I must say, I am quite smitten by it, and I suddenly keep noticing them on the roads - rather, my eyes keep hunting them down these days. One Day, I guess, i'll drive it. Till then, its my Tata Safari.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th November 2014 at 08:45. Reason: Avoid using acronyms for car names. Thanks!
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 14:06   #90
BHPian

Folks,

Finally handed over the cheque for the new Pajero Sport 4*4 Manual yesterday. Waiting for the delivery which should happen in the coming week. Thanks for all your inputs. Me excited.

Most Viewed