Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2014, 17:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Live with BMW 320D, or trade it for a Fortuner?

Hi Aroon.

Quite the conundrum you have there, but I'm not sure the Fortuner will solve it. As some have pointed out, it's not as absorbent on bad roads as you might think. I have no idea about the Koleos or Santa Fe (the older one), so i'll shy away from commenting on them.

I'll think outside the box slightly over here. Why not a brand new Fluence? It'll be at that price point, has the best suspension apparently at that price point (everyone raves about it) and is reasonably spacious too, although you'd have to see it for yourself to see how true that is. It strikes me as a decent option for you.

I think about the options you have before you to solve your troika of issues (space, need for a badge and ride quality) and really struggle to see what options you might have. Like many, my mind veers to the Superb too. It's got brand cache (if a bad name in the A.S.S department0, has a hilarious amount of space and superb ride quality. Consider it, if you would. It's a good solution to explore, and a manual (petrol or diesel) will be no problem to find in the used market, I'm sure.

I think the Fortuner really isn't what you need though. That's just my 2 cents. Take a test drive over rough roads and see if it's everything you want it to be. Good luck man.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 19:25   #17
BHPian

I was in the market for an SUV and TDed almost the fortuner, rexton, XUV, santa fe & the CRV. From an overall comfort feeling (seats, ride, suspension, steering feel, power, visibility etc), the CRV was easily the winner from my perspective. In fact, I booked one today.

Definitely try it out, if you are ok with the fuel costs and probable poor resale value.
hajaar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 19:57   #18
BHPian

Why don't you keep the BMW and trade the Safari for the Storme?

Use the BMW when you need the badge. The Storme when you need back seat comfort.
iceman7 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 20:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Why don't you keep the BMW and trade the Safari for the Storme?

Use the BMW when you need the badge. The Storme when you need back seat comfort.
Exactly my thoughts

If not, how about a pre owned 5 series?
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 22:57   #20
BHPian

Thanks a ton people. Great inputs! Really. Appreciate.

So, while I have some more clarity, I have newer doubts.

See - let me first raise my confusion about the ride quality issue - My Tata Safari also gives me bumps, but somehow that I don't mind. It sways and dances and jerks all the time, and it niggles me a bit, but it is not the same as the 320. 320 hits me harder. It makes me shout at the driver. It feels as if there is no cushioning at all. So if the Fortuner or for that matter any other SUV gives the same jhatkas as the safari, it may be fine. Won't it?

About sitting in the front, in BMW I will never. Somehow does not go with it while I agree that the leg-space is sufficient there. But problem happens when people travel with me...and that happens often...and specially on long distance drives. So end result is that none of the 4 passengers is happy. Assuming front seats placed in the middle of the rails, Everyone has to compromise on space. So it ends up in 4 unhappy souls, not one. In Safari I always sit in the front seat. Somehow I feel more powerful and get more snobbish value (used to, when it was my biggest car...before the bmw days) in sitting in the front seat. I wonder if its the same in Fortuner.

Regarding going for an A4 or 3 or X1, when I bought BMW, I chose it over all these cars. So buying one of those is like going in the same range. I cant do that. In that case I will rather live with the BMW. Bigger ones than those, I am not very comfortable going for them right now for budgetary reasons. I think within 1 year, I will probably get a ML or something like that. Not now.

Also, the main problem out of all that I mentioned is, that selling a BMW and going for something like a Superb will be noticed in the marketplace I operate in. Everybody knows me here. It will create a rumor that I am low on cash and 'Arun ki BMW bik gayi'. Cant afford that any day! Guys don't laugh, I am serious!

So I need something where I can justify selling the BMW. Something where I can plant a story that I traded BMW for something else...because of reason a, b or c. Like if I buy a Fortuner or similar, I will say yaar neeche bahut thi. Unchi chahiye thi. Chipka di kisi ko.

And this gives me an idea...tell me if it makes sense or not. If in 1-1.5 years I can buy a luxury for 50+, how about getting a Storme or something and get it DCed? Means get it modified at DC. It will fall in the budget, I will be able to flaunt it for some time, have the comfort of recliners (if it is really comfortable) and pass my time. Please tell me if it sounds reasonable at all. If yes, what can be other options? DCed Innova for sure I will not go for. Its too common. I need something that is uncommon. DCed Storme I am not sure if I have still seen in Noida market.

Valuable inputs please...
Aroongupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 00:32   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroongupta View Post
Everybody knows me here. It will create a rumor that I am low on cash and 'Arun ki BMW bik gayi'. Cant afford that any day! Guys don't laugh, I am serious!

So I need something where I can justify selling the BMW. Something where I can plant a story that I traded BMW for something else...because of reason a, b or c. Like if I buy a Fortuner or similar, I will say yaar neeche bahut thi. Unchi chahiye thi. Chipka di kisi ko.
I totally understand your predicament and how society operates specially up north. The reason you gave above looks most appealing to me and in that case you can go in for a SUV. But even in that try out the Renault Koleos. It is such a niche vehicle that it will get you noticed a lot, sometimes more than that 3 series too.

Other then that, no other D+ segment sedan is going to cut it out. Afterall they do not have the badge value of the big 3 germans.

If you are planning to pick a ML in a year then why not keep the BMW for another year. You anyways have another year of BSI left and the depreciation hit is also going to be little lesser. At that time you can choose between the X3, XC60, ML, Q5 or the Freelander etc. All very exclusive and premium looking SUVs.

I would not suggest a DC modified car. The modifications do not really hold up very well and somehow I have never been a fan of all the bling that DC adds in the name of design.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 01:54   #22
Team-BHP Support

Here's another suggestion. Sell the 3 and upgrade to a pre owned 5. You will get some great examples for 30l, though considering your chauffeur drives you only need a 520d. Most will not be able to recognize the old one from the facelift. Its also got a much better back seat, and is quite a bit better than the 3 when it comes to comfort.

http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2013-d625854/
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2013-d439542/
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...eries-d606318/
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2013-d617890/
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2013-d623484/

You get the drift
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 08:01   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I bought this car for 28 Lacs total including the 3 years- 1lac km BSI package.
Pay them extra and get your BSI pack changed to something like 5 / 6 Year /1 Lac or 1.2 Lac . It should not cost you much . Even if you don't sell this now it will add value to your car at later date . Everyone including dealerships prefer to buy something having warranty .

Quote:
My Tata Safari also gives me bumps, but somehow that I don't mind. It sways and dances and jerks all the time, and it niggles me a bit, but it is not the same as the 320. 320 hits me harder
As suggested by many , tires can definitely be a cause , switching to regular ones will surely improve ride but there is no way that 4 guys are going to feel comfortable specially on longer duration's. 3 is best for self driving with your partner in front & kids for rear .

Quote:
In Safari I always sit in the front seat. Somehow I feel more powerful and get more snobbish value (used to, when it was my biggest car...before the bmw days) in sitting in the front seat. I wonder if its the same in Fortuner.
Yes , its kind of same besides Front seat of Fortuner is far comfortable then middle .

Quote:
And this gives me an idea...tell me if it makes sense or not. If in 1-1.5 years I can buy a luxury for 50+, how about getting a Storme or something and get it DCed? Means get it modified at DC. It will fall in the budget, I will be able to flaunt it for some time, have the comfort of recliners (if it is really comfortable) and pass my time. Please tell me if it sounds reasonable at all. If yes, what can be other options? DCed Innova for sure I will not go for
By my personal experience as an owner of all these cars , even if you spend 50-60 Lac on any of German cars ( A6 , 5 ) rear space is no where going to be any much different then your present 3 & you will soon have similar problem . I have seen couple of DC Innova & Fortuner but these don't age well , there are always one or other issues reported by owners besides I personally feel claustrophobic in such modified versions .

Quote:
Everybody knows me here. It will create a rumor that I am low on cash and 'Arun ki BMW bik gayi'. Cant afford that any day! Guys don't laugh, I am serious!
Well in my opinion one should not worry or think too much about what others say about you . Yes in some professions , If you've got it, flaunt it

My suggestions

1 Sell your Safari & Buy Fortuner considering you are not worried to pay higher difference then you would have paid if you were to sell 3 series instead . Keep your 3 for your self drive for longer period with extended warranty .

2 Sell your 3 Series and try to find a used 7 series , you can find reasonable condition 2009-2010 Year for around 50 Lac .

Selling 3 to buy Fortuner , should be a last option in my opinion

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th September 2014 at 08:14.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 09:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Live with BMW 320D....or trade it for a Fortuner?

Frankly the 3-series is no chauffeur driven car nor is the Fortuner. I know you are thinking of the Fortuner because of the snob value attached to it. But Fortuner is the last thing you should consider when using the middle row. I would suggest the following things-

1. Sell the Safari and get a storme. You can use it when getting chauffeured and the 3-series when self driven.

2. Sell the 320d and the Safari. You can get a Pajero Sport/ Hyundai Santa Fe instead. They are far more comfortable than the Fortuner.

3. Sell the Safari and buy an Elantra or Corolla to get chauffeured in.

Of all these I think the Pajero Sport is the best upgrade here. All the best 👍

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 12:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a lot...rather i travel in the car a lot. Chauffeur drives it most of the times.

Still when I sit in Safari once every 6 months, I realize how wonderfully spacious and comfortable Safari is. It gave me a lot of niggling troubles, but I still love the space and comfort it offers.
My two cents. Test drive the F30, sit at the back and take a call
RSUDARSANAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 12:48   #26
BHPian

* Sell the Safari and get a Storme -- the new one is much more comforatble and you are already facing issues with the current one.

* Upgrade the BSI package to a 5 year one/ or rather sell it off when you are upgrading to a ML-- The current BSI is applicable till then
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 12:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
My two cents. Test drive the F30, sit at the back and take a call
I can vouch for the F30's suspension. I think it gives the right mix of comfort and stiffness. On a slightly different note- My neighbour has 2 Captiva's, a 320 D, a very recently purchased ML 250 CDI and a Swift D (yep- we all need one ordinary car for going to the grocery store and buying vegetables). Out of all these; even after buying the ML 250 CDI he feels that while the ML with its Airmatic suspension is really the most comfortable over any type of roads; the Captiva- considering its price point is really very close to the ML in terms of Comfort and Ride Quality. Same is the case with the now defunct-Optra; the best suspension I had ever experienced this side of 15 lakhs. Hope this helps somehow.

Last edited by rahul4321 : 30th September 2014 at 12:57.
rahul4321 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 13:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Now I am in a situation when I have almost made up my mind to exchange BMW for a brand new Fortuner 2 WD, automatic shift. But I am still nervous. Leaving a BMW tag is not easy. It greatly helps me in my business. Except for the tag...and the peppiness, I really hate this car.

Am I doing it right to go for a Fortuner? Does it makes sense? Is it a good car? I drive bad...can never apply brakes to avoid potholes. Will a fortuner help. My maintenance is also bad. Is there any other SUV sub 30 lakhs I should consider? I am fed up of Sedans...may be because I am 6 feet tall and weigh 130 kgs
=> Big man needs a big SUV since you are 6ft and 130 kgs so an automatic Toyota Fortuner is a good option though the ride is kind of little bumpy. One of my friend got his Toyota Fortuner tweaked from Pandit & Co. and changed the original rear seats of the car and installed new comfortable ones.

Audi Q3 and Q5 are also options since you don't want to go in for sedans. Try for pre-owned deals from Audi/Merc/BMW. Believe me, they really are worth it... Who knows.. you might get lucky and get a car for a good price...

Also you are right; sometimes the brand goes with the business you are in..!!

Last edited by manson : 8th October 2014 at 16:39. Reason: Fixed quote
embee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 13:55   #29
BHPian

I would suggest the Toyota Camry Hybrid version. It is a smooth car, has a unique "green" factor which others do not have and of course has a good back seat as well.

I would also not consider it a trade down from the 2 year old 320d which is definately only a drivers car.

Cheers!
Higgs_Boson_i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 16:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs_Boson_i View Post
I would suggest the Toyota Camry Hybrid version. It is a smooth car, has a unique "green" factor which others do not have and of course has a good back seat as well.

I would also not consider it a trade down from the 2 year old 320d which is definately only a drivers car.

Cheers!
NO WAY! Paying over 30 lakhs on a Camry with no airbags for the rear passengers, is just silly an IMO encourages this kind of treatment by manufacturers in our country.

We can go on about how there are sedans with good ride quality and driving dynamics. However, the fact remains that you will have to brake for potholes and other terrain alterations on India's roads. So though I am not a fan of SUVs, if you are not a hardcore enthusiast, nor an environmentalist, and "image" plays a huge factor in your circles (and you don't think you have the capacity to change that) then an SUV offers the most peace of mind. Check out the Audi Q3 since it has got comfy ride and an Audi badge or the Pajero Sport which apart from the Fortuner, is the only other sub 30lakh SUV that commands respect. Fortuner is not worth another look because of the lack of enough safety features and poor ride quality.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks