Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2014, 17:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned Luxury Sedan: BMW 5-Series vs Mercedes E-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
simple explanation, one of the photos is in Kms, the other in miles . if you convert the miles to kms, it comes to 12680. so, being a day apart both photos are believable.

Thanks for pointing it out. I am actually going to evaluate this car over the weekend. Any connects to someone from BMW service who can help me with the car history will be immensely helpful. Please PM me.
Old 14th November 2014, 19:16   #17

The biggest differentiator between a Mercedes (not AMG) and a BMW is: Mercedes is an outright luxury car. It comes with most of the bells and whistles. It looks great if driven by your chauffeur while you enjoy the luxury inside.

BMW: it's a different story here. If you love to drive, if you want to enjoy every moment in the drivers seat, if you like the 'thrill', then go for BMW. Performance, driver satisfaction is BMW's usp. It's a luxury performance car. So it's up to individuals personal choice, preference and priority.
Old 14th November 2014, 19:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

There are always particular fans of a particular Marque and if you ask me personally, id select a BMW any day over a Mercedes if i am going to be driving the vehicle on my own, mostly. I find that the Benz is always that tad bit comfortable to sit in the rear and that includes the S class over the 7. Maybe its the thigh support or the way the back rest is contoured or maybe its the leather they use but the Merc is better to sit on the rear seat by a whisker but its noticeable.
Coming to behind the wheel the Bmw reassures you all the while. The 530 is noticeably more torquey and while you may not be able to notice the difference in city traffic, on the expressway you do experience the quickness of the 530D over the 350cdi and mind you the 350 is no meek performer. Another thing is that the Bimmer depreciates, i.e. loses value faster than the Merc, in India that is and i do not agree that the Mercedes is more expensive to maintain over the Bimmer. I find that quite the opposite in my own case and the Audi is by far the most expensive, to buy and to maintain.

Let me also tell you that the perception that the Bmw is a better, driver's car, is changing drastically with the 2013-14 similar looking breed the star has been introducing which takes luxury and handling to another level. Bmw better watch out and Audi is not even in the league.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 07:08   #19
ppr
BHPian

One interesting thing I noticed while test driving all these cars is that the under thigh support of the new 530 D is much more than that of the new Mercs. Conversely, this translates into less leg room in the BMW. Has anyone noticed this?
Old 17th November 2014, 10:52   #20
BHPian

Guys I am in the same dillema,I have my eyes set on a Bmw 530D 2010 manufactured done 45000kms Mumbai registered.I found the steering feel a little heavy,rest everything was fine.
The car is in decent condition and final price is 28 lakhs.I personally loved the car,is this the right price for a 4 year old car?
This will be a weekend car and my daily drive is 2012 fortuner.Please share your inputs.
Old 17th November 2014, 14:16   #21
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Guys I am in the same dillema,I have my eyes set on a Bmw 530D 2010 manufactured done 45000kms Mumbai registered.I found the steering feel a little heavy,rest everything was fine.
The car is in decent condition and final price is 28 lakhs.I personally loved the car,is this the right price for a 4 year old car?
This will be a weekend car and my daily drive is 2012 fortuner.Please share your inputs.
Try and get a good look at the tyres and brakes on the car, at around this mileage you do need to get the discs replaced, which will cost you about 1L for all four sets. Also, if you do go ahead with this purchase, have the 45k service done on owners behalf as this service will require the brake oil change too.
I just got mine serviced at 45k kms and that cost me 40k, usually for other regular service i would pay about 23k.
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 16:38   #22
BHPian

I would like to add my 2 cents to this debate.

I own a E90 BMW 3 Series,the Mercedes E and the Audi A6.As a keen driver I would say that the Mercedes is the most settled and the composed car of the lot at least here in India where we have bumps,crevices and ruts and what not in the road.The Mercedes is very very well balanced at real high speeds while not crushing your spine on every imperfection on our roads.The Beemer on it's stupid RFT's tramlines and is so unsettled on our bumpy roads(Even the GQ's are not really of that high standard in India) that you actually slow down to more saner speeds.The Merc will be much more flatter when driven on such rutted roads while still being a hoot to drive on a windy road.The Audi's are nowhere close to the feel of the other two German's( the S and RS Line maybe but not the bog standard FWD A4 & A6).

Most people blindly think Mercs are not that great to drive.BMW=Ultimate Driving Machine ? Yes maybe on those autobahn's but not in India.People should really ask GTO whether he prefers his Merc to a E90 BMW.I made a mistake buying the Beemer which has a ride so hard that you are never at ease driving it really hard.To be even more blunt ,on our roads I think would be faster in my Laura than the BMW which cost me two times as much.

Last edited by Ascari : 17th November 2014 at 16:53.
Ascari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 17:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
The Merc will be much more flatter when driven on such rutted roads while still being a hoot to drive on a windy road.
Could'nt agree more.

Very envious of my close friend who managed to snap up an e350 petrol, at a big discount as dealers were finding no takers for the powerful petrol engine. Drover it on a road trip, and was mesmerized by how supple, yet how powerful it was.

I would say, a petrol e350, all the way! Hope you find a nice one, preferably at a sticky fuel loving dealers lot.
Old 17th November 2014, 23:05   #24
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucliomaniac View Post
Could'nt agree more.

I would say, a petrol e350, all the way! Hope you find a nice one, preferably at a sticky fuel loving dealers lot.
I think I should try that E350 in sports mode once. That does look a good deal. It is surprising, the lack of resale value on these petrol cars!
Old 22nd November 2014, 01:20   #25

As I had mentioned earlier, BMW and Mercedes are like two different species....almost! Buying each of them depends on what exactly you want to do. If one just wants a big luxury name brand, which will score a 'good to great' rating on almost all the aspects on Indian roads, then Mercedes perfectly fits the bill. BMW cars are for a specific purpose. Though good, they are not ideal to go for a 'long drive' with the family on a weekend or for pleasures of everyday commuting on pothole filled roads. It's made specifically for people who want to tame this machine. The twin turbos, Run flats and low profile tires are there for a specific reason. BMW is all about the driving experience (albeit in ideal conditions, I'm not sure if our everyday Indian roads are best suited for BMW's..yet) If they take these features out and put regular rubber, soften the suspension, then the car dynamics would change completely which defeats the purpose of BMW's vision. If you take a Lamborghini/ Ferrari and compare it with a Rolls Royce and say they have a rough ride and don't drive like a rolls, then it obviously makes no sense. Of course take the example with a pinch of salt since BMW and Mercedes do have most of the things in common and for the most part target a similar set of audience.
I drive a Beemer (335i), six cylinder, 300 hp, twin turbo. The ride is rough? yes! Do the potholes hurt? Yes! Do my wife and daughter complain when they sit in the car? Of course! They don't like it on the long drives. I use my other car (Acura MDX) when I take them out. However, the exhaust note, the way the car down shifts in a split second, the way it's roaring and eager to go and the way I take on the S4's, the Mustangs, the infinities, Chargers and not to forget the Mercs, overweigh all the other factors for me.
Therefore, end of the day, it depends what 'you' want.

As I had mentioned earlier, BMW and Mercedes are like two different species....almost! Buying each of them depends on what exactly you want to do. If one just wants a big luxury name brand, which will score a 'good to great' rating on almost all the aspects on Indian roads, then Mercedes perfectly fits the bill. BMW cars are for a specific purpose. Though good, they are not ideal to go for a 'long drive' with the family on a weekend or for pleasures of everyday commuting on pothole filled roads. It's made specifically for people who want to tame this machine. The twin turbos, Run flats and low profile tires are there for a specific reason. BMW is all about the driving experience (albeit in ideal conditions, I'm not sure if our everyday Indian roads are best suited for BMW's..yet) If they take these features out and put regular rubber, soften the suspension, then the car dynamics would change completely which defeats the purpose of BMW's vision. If you take a Lamborghini/ Ferrari and compare it with a Rolls Royce and say they have a rough ride and don't drive like a rolls, then it obviously makes no sense. Of course take the example with a pinch of salt since BMW and Mercedes do have most of the things in common and for the most part target a similar set of audience.
I drive a Beemer (335i), six cylinder, 300 hp, twin turbo. The ride is rough? yes! Do the potholes hurt? Yes! Do my wife and daughter complain when they sit in the car? Of course! They don't like it on the long drives. I use my other car (Acura MDX) when I take them out. However, the exhaust note, the way the car down shifts in a split second, the way it's roaring and eager to go and the way I take on the S4's, the Mustangs, the infinities, Chargers and not to forget the Mercs, overweigh all the other factors for me.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th January 2015 at 11:07.
Old 21st December 2014, 23:27   #26
ppr
BHPian

Hi Guys

My search is over. I bought a VW Phaeton which had been used for a year. This is thanks to Akshay1234 who was of great help for me in making my decision.

I almost bought a S500 (my accountant quickly talked me out of that one, but what a car it was!), changed my thoughts over to a 530D or a E350 (this thread), progressed to a Phaeton or a Cayenne!, finally zeroed in on the Phaeton. I have had it for a week now and it is a fabulous car.

I have been driving an A6 2.8 FSI for the last 5 years and I am just not impressed driving cars with smaller engines any more. I know the fuel efficiency is not as good with larger engines, but the driving pleasure can't be beat. And with driving hardly 1000 - 1200 kms a month, who cares?

Thanks for all the inputs. They have been invaluable, none more than Akshay's. Most of all, I think I should thank the car buying populace of India, which devalues petrol cars to such an extent that cars like the S500, the Phaeton and my A6 depreciate down to my budget rapidly! May this state of affairs continue at least till I buy my next car 4 years from now
ppr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 14:38   #27
BHPian

Congrats PPR. The Phaeton is a fantastic car. (W12?) as long as you can get reliable service and parts.

My search is over too - I tried a host of pre-owned options, including the ones mentioned on this particular forum. The 525d dealer was extremely interesting to say the least - kept showing me cars pre-owned by a host of bollywood stars but refused to give me a test drive of the 525

Finally after all this have booked a brand new 5er. Will post a new thread on that post delivery
Old 17th January 2015, 21:15   #28
BHPian

Congratulations on You acquiring a Phaeton. It tried to taken on the Big 3 but couldn't succeed in any of the markets.

Do post some details of the car with pictures and initial ownership experience
Old 30th January 2015, 07:48   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmadness View Post

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

@MOD: It's also the same reply! Just got mysteriously posted twice, like I had hit the submit button twice. You probably have to look into your mobile version side of your IT dept.
Old 12th November 2015, 16:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
Try and get a good look at the tyres and brakes on the car, at around this mileage you do need to get the discs replaced, which will cost you about 1L for all four sets. Also, if you do go ahead with this purchase, have the 45k service done on owners behalf as this service will require the brake oil change too.
I just got mine serviced at 45k kms and that cost me 40k, usually for other regular service i would pay about 23k.

Hi VSD,

I was unable to PM you, as I'm not very active here. I've just moved back to India (Delhi) and I'm looking for a 525D or a 530D (in line 6). Since you're in Faridabad, is there a way I could ask you for advice and market information?

Most Viewed