Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2014, 18:13   #1
BHPian

Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a new luxury car for my daily commute from my home in Breach Candy to my office in Tardeo plus some small weekend drives of about 50 km each weekend. Total running would be about 1000 km every month. I am mostly considering going in for a new E or a C.

However the launch of the new C class has left me totally confused. The new C looks much like the new S, the overall design of the C in fact looks much more plush and striking than the current E class. However the snob value of the E badge is something that too is utterly desirable.

Today I called the Mercedes Sales i.e. Auto Hangar and learnt that the C class petrol outside Octroi limits is 50,50,000/- Approx on road, does not make a difference if you register it as a corporate or individuals car as road tax will be of the highest slab as it is a CBU. Compared to this the E 200 is available for 52,80,000 Approx on road outside octroi limit if registered in an individual's name. In addition to this I have learnt from reliable sources that there is a hefty discount of about 6-7 lakhs available on the E class..though had been strictly advised to not share this.

Now my dilemma is whether to go for a new E or the Newly launched C, comments and opinions requested please.
Merc_lover666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 18:57   #2
BHPian

You can negotiate the price of E-Class with the Mercedes showroom and try to get as much discount as possible and if you think you've got a good deal, then you should probably go ahead with the E-Class.
embee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 19:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class

Sounds like a no brainer to me. There is no point in spending 50L for the C regardless of what car it resembles. For lesser money you will easily get an E class which looks equally great with its new headlight set up and is ofcourse from a class higher. If you are serious about the C, then wait for sometime to let them start getting the CKD kits and lower prices. Since you are planning to drive on your own then why not also check out the BMW?
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:03   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the E at the best price possible especially with it being Dec. This diesel E 250 will also have much better resale.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 22:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

E Class with the discounts costs very close to the new C, if you are really bothered about segment and size go for the E. Audi has huge discounts for the A6, it costs lower than C class, check it out if it is of any interest to you.

I just checked the new E Class along with the C Class, Interiors and a lot of stuff are leagues apart, i'd pick the new C anyday just for the feel good factor.

Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class-20141130_180012.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th December 2014 at 14:15. Reason: Added Photo
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 17:11   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes: W205 C-Class vs W212 E-Class

The E-Class is an E-Class. It's a far more luxurious experience than the C-Class. Between the two, I'd pick the E in diesel guise.

If you are absolutely keen on the new C-Class, I'd highly recommend waiting it out. Advantages:

- The current pricing is unsustainable. It's only so because of limited supplies and people wanting to be the first to own 'that new Mercedes'. You'll easily get the C-Class at 40 lakhs & lower next year.

- Every freshly launched German car comes with its own issues & problems. The more you wait, the more time you've given Mercedes to iron out the initial niggles.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 17:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I am going against the tide here and saying get the C, its an amazing package with lots of equipment but at a price. However to make it more economical by taking the chance of getting it registered out of state and get it for below 45 lakhs OTR.

If you are planning to keep the car for sometime then the E will begin to look dated, all new E-class is expected in a year or two. The C class will keep you smiling for a longer time as it is a fresh launch.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 20:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2014 at 12:38.
stanjohn123 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th December 2014, 21:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

The E now may look dated or a classic, based on how you view it. It may not have the new age Mercedes' flamboyance, but still a very competent car. If you are getting an E closer to the price of the new C, it definitely look good value compared to the smaller sibling
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 18:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

IMO E-Class would be the best bet at the price point currently being offered. As other's suggested if you are particular about a greater road presence with lot of interior stuff, it will make sense to wait for some more time(probably next year) and get the new C-Class with a reduced price and of-course with all the initial niggles wiped off.
Old 5th December 2014, 19:14   #11
BHPian

The C Class at 50 lakh, that too for the mere 180 BHP petrol engine is way too expensive. I would certainly not recommend buying it now. However, various factors come into play here. If you require a large boot, and/or a good back seat experience, being a W212 owner, I would say, buy the car without second thoughts. The rear seat experience is sublime. The E is hard to fault, and is certainly a joy to drive. The 200 BHP and 500 NM of torque are addictive and the car is an excellent cruiser.

However, if you wouldn't mind a cramped back seat, and would like a slightly better looking (inside and outside) and a newer package, wait for the CKD version of the C class to be launched. 1000 kilometres a month, I would recommend the Diesel, as it is way quicker, and also a frugal sipper. However, I am not sure if the Diesel would be tuned in the E-250 state.

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 5th December 2014 at 19:17.
Old 5th December 2014, 19:17   #12
BHPian

Will depreciation be an issue for you?

Question comes up since as soon as the C class is available in CKD guise, it will go down on MSRP price, consequently, you will also have a larger depreciation hit right within one year of ownership.

For some buyers, it may be a factor during purchase.
Old 5th December 2014, 21:05   #13
BANNED

A classic Octavia vs Superb battle.
You should sit and drive both cars back to back to decide for yourself.
Even though the E might be older, it is still higher in the food chain.
There will be some compromises made in the C, the little things if you will.
The E is a superior package.
Points in favor of the C
+New
+CKD will be cheap--er.
+Newer tech
+No buyers remorse about getting the older outdated model.
Old 5th December 2014, 21:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_lover666 View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a new luxury car for my daily commute from my home in Breach Candy to my office in Tardeo plus some small weekend drives of about 50 km each weekend. Total running would be about 1000 km every month. I am mostly considering going in for a new E or a C.
The E. Anyday.

And think of it, wouldn't your W110 Heckflosse and the E simply make a better combination?

2 generations of the legendary E. 50 years apart. Buy one in a darkish blue. It'll be an epic pair, I assure you!
Old 5th December 2014, 21:37   #15
BHPian

A person whom I know recently bought Q3. His budget was limited to a Toyota Fortuner but still managed to get it at 24 Lakhs in Guj. Moreover he got additional 50K discount for choosing Black colour.

This same guy told me that his friend purchased A4 and got a discount of 9 Lakhs. Again from same showroom in Guj.

The showroom is new tho and these guys made the sales guys wait for a month to decide. Now that's negotiating.
My suggestion is to squeeze Auto Hanger and go for the cheapest !! A Merc is a Merc, I dont care if its C or E. Just enjoy the luxury bro
spoth001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed